PDA

View Full Version : The Mars Volta - "Frances The Mute"

DroppinScience
03-14-2005, 01:40 PM
I know this is probably thread # 48213243 on the subject, but I finally got to steal "Frances The Mute" off of my brother and listen to it in its entirety.

Holy fuck, was it ever amazing! Easily trumps "De-Loused in the Comatorium" (y)

Best track is easily "L'Via L'Viaquez" :D

Vladimir
03-14-2005, 02:09 PM
yeah its an amazing album... really just one big 77-minute song. there are bits that seem a bit gratuitous like the multiple 3-minute bouts of white noise, but on the whole, its fantastic. Some of my favorite moments:
8:15-8:50 in "Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore"
6:10-6:40 in "L'Via L'Viaquez"
All of Cassandra Gemini VII-VIII - VIII is the same as the opening bit
7:00-8:10 in "Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus"

and.... IM GOING TO SEE VOLTA IN PROVIDENCE IN MAY!!!! (there's unfortunately no smiley for popping the cork)

all in all, fantastic album, but it probably could have been 5 minutes shorter. Easily.

Bob
03-14-2005, 02:47 PM
i kind of like comatorium better, to be honest...it just seems....cleaner. like, take the veil cerpin or whatever it's called (track 10 on comatorium) did in 10 minutes what cassandra geminni does in 30. don't get me wrong, i like where cassandra goes, i just don't think it needed to take 30 minutes to get there. i'm probably not patient enough with music to really get it though, it's probably just over my head. sometimes i feel like i'm missing out, because i never learned to play an instrument. if i played guitar, i have a feeling i'd appreciate omar's meandering a lot more.

i like it, most of it.

edit: i saw them live in boston once though, and it was wierd, because they played songs from comatorium, but they gave them the frances the mute treatment, in other words, they made them about 5 times longer. they cut in the middle of the songs with about 10 minutes of extra guitar and bass and shit, it was an hour long set and they only played 5 songs. strange thing is though, i loved it. i knew they were doing it, i knew that the songs were going on forever and ever but i didn't want it to end, it was great. strange that i liked it then but i don't now. i guess it's just a whole other experience live. anyway i definitely recommend going out of your way to see them at least once, they're amazing.

ToucanSpam
03-14-2005, 02:48 PM
I know this is probably thread # 48213243 on the subject, but I finally got to steal "Frances The Mute" off of my brother and listen to it in its entirety.

Holy fuck, was it ever amazing! Easily trumps "De-Loused in the Comatorium" (y)

Best track is easily "L'Via L'Viaquez" :D

I agree with you on everything. Total agreement.

EN[i]GMA
03-14-2005, 02:51 PM
I must purchase this album.

I read about the backstory to the album, it's supposedly based off of a journal found in the trunk of a car one of them bought, a journal written by an orphan looking for her parents.

The album is supposed to represent the scattered thoughts and shit.

Sounds pretty cool.

DroppinScience
03-14-2005, 03:12 PM
i kind of like comatorium better, to be honest...it just seems....cleaner. like, take the veil cerpin or whatever it's called (track 10 on comatorium) did in 10 minutes what cassandra geminni does in 30. don't get me wrong, i like where cassandra goes, i just don't think it needed to take 30 minutes to get there. i'm probably not patient enough with music to really get it though, it's probably just over my head. sometimes i feel like i'm missing out, because i never learned to play an instrument. if i played guitar, i have a feeling i'd appreciate omar's meandering a lot more.

i like it, most of it.

edit: i saw them live in boston once though, and it was wierd, because they played songs from comatorium, but they gave them the frances the mute treatment, in other words, they made them about 5 times longer. they cut in the middle of the songs with about 10 minutes of extra guitar and bass and shit, it was an hour long set and they only played 5 songs. strange thing is though, i loved it. i knew they were doing it, i knew that the songs were going on forever and ever but i didn't want it to end, it was great. strange that i liked it then but i don't now. i guess it's just a whole other experience live. anyway i definitely recommend going out of your way to see them at least once, they're amazing.

I rather like it because Mars Volta create albums that are like "Dark Side of the Moon" for punk rockers, and I love how those two are mixed. :)

laserx54
03-14-2005, 03:13 PM
besides the wasted time between tracks i'd say that this is one of the best albums of 2005

HellofaSandwich
03-14-2005, 07:38 PM
I like it a lot.

I hold 'em in my holy triumverate of prog-punk bands, the other two members being, of course, Brazil and Rush.

Darko
03-14-2005, 07:44 PM
It's pretty good. Cassandra Gemini is really the only song I listen to anymore though.

DroppinScience
03-14-2005, 08:11 PM
I like it a lot.

I hold 'em in my holy triumverate of prog-punk bands, the other two members being, of course, Brazil and Rush.

RUSH ARE NOT PUNKS. JEEZ! :rolleyes:

HellofaSandwich
03-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Rush is punk as fuck, man.

http://www.rush.com.ar/Images/sarsstock/SARS-SHOW-GEDDY+ALEX.jpg

Rancid_Beasties
03-15-2005, 02:24 AM
How many times to I have to profess my love for that song! (http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=683969&postcount=22)

L'Via, as I am now calling it because of the difficulty an aussie has trying to pronounce L'Viaquez, is officially in my top 5 songs of all time list.

I think this album is way better than comatorium, even though I loved comatorium.

This is the perfect summary (y)

I rather like it because Mars Volta create albums that are like "Dark Side of the Moon" for punk rockers, and I love how those two are mixed.

synch
03-15-2005, 02:41 AM
They did the same when I saw them in Amsterdam. I'd gotten the tickets for my birthday and had never managed to hear the album. You could immagine I was bored out of my skull with the looooong versions of the songs, but the strange thing is, so were the people that I went with. These three guys all loved the album but couldn't get into the live set because it was all ridiculously pompous and went on forever and ever and ever...

The audience consisted of a room full of people just staring at the stage in disbelief, talking to eachother or intensely "rocking out" sixties style (read: stoned out of their mind shaking their head and body around).

Me and these guys went to dozens of gigs together and this was the first and only gig we walked out on.

I've been meaning to try out the album but I've been scared to do so... maybe today...

mickill
03-15-2005, 09:48 AM
I agree with Bob.

The album really tends to drag at certain points.

Which is so not necessary.

Mr_Complex
03-15-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm so over these guys. This stuff will never stand the test of time, unlike anything from ATD-i.

Vladimir
03-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Volta>ATDI

Mr_Complex
03-17-2005, 06:55 AM
Hah, no.

Rancid_Beasties
03-17-2005, 06:57 AM
Mars Volta = At the drive in X 1.0000000000000000000000000000001

But i love both