PDA

View Full Version : Difference between rappers and MC's?

canucklehead200
03-14-2005, 10:33 PM
I've often wondered what the difference is between rappers and MC's...I know the beasties are MC's but that's about it... can somebody sum it up in a few sentences (the diff. between mc's and rappers), do mc's just freestyle the lyrics to their songs more or something?

paulb
03-14-2005, 10:35 PM
MCs are master of ceremonies

Rappers rap rap music

RaZoRbLaDe KiSs
03-14-2005, 10:40 PM
I like Masters of Ceremonies (y)

it's like this kid, MC's are talented ARTISTS who take thier time and have patience (aka 6 years! :mad: ) with what thier doing. they put thier souls into it, which is why the Beasties work is so meaningful to so many people.
because MC'ing is an artform.

Rapping is any random smuck who can ryme duck with fuck.
see? look at me, I just rymed 3 words in one sentance. I am now a rapper (n) Rappers = 50 Cent, Chingy, and Jay-Z or basically anyone else who doesnt have talent and just raps about smackin bitches and fucking hoes
(n)

canucklehead200
03-14-2005, 10:58 PM
I like Masters of Ceremonies (y)

it's like this kid, MC's are talented ARTISTS who take thier time and have patience (aka 6 years! :mad: ) with what thier doing. they put thier souls into it, which is why the Beasties work is so meaningful to so many people.
because MC'ing is an artform.

Rapping is any random smuck who can ryme duck with fuck.
see? look at me, I just rymed 3 words in one sentance. I am now a rapper (n) Rappers = 50 Cent, Chingy, and Jay-Z or basically anyone else who doesnt have talent and just raps about smackin bitches and fucking hoes
(n)

i still don't get the difference, both of you pretty much made fun of the other rappers rather than giving me a proper definition...if anybody can better describe it for me that would be great...btw i do agree with you about 50 and chingy though...i think jay-z has earned respect though

Brougham234
03-15-2005, 01:31 AM
The thing emcees/mc's do is RAP. So they are RAPPERS. Not hard geniuses. The beastie boys are RAPPERS who rap or EMCEES WHO EMCEE or RAPPERS WHO EMCEE or Emcees who rap, all the same.

FunkyBoss
03-15-2005, 03:20 AM
Man Jay Z is a fine MC and has gotten praise from the Beastie Boys numerous times. But 50 Cent, chingy and the rest are suckerrrssss for sure. Jurrasic 5 and other artists have tried to avoid making a distinction and have just said they are whatever, rappers, rhymers or MCs.

discopants
03-15-2005, 03:31 AM
Rapping is any random smuck who can ryme duck with fuck. see? look at me, I just rymed 3 words in one sentance. I am now a rapper (n) Rappers = 50 Cent, Chingy, and Jay-Z or basically anyone else who doesnt have talent and just raps about smackin bitches and fucking hoes
(n)

On Buzzcocks on Sunday there was a good joke about Vanilla Ice:
"He couldn't ryhme Mercedes with ladies if he was run over by a Mercedes full of ladies."

cj hood
03-15-2005, 06:41 AM
a rapper is like playing softball on sunday for the local church.........bein an mc is like playing pro ball for the yankees.....both basically do the same thing, but on different levels........50 cent is a rapper; rakim is an mc.........

btw......i'm an mc........

canucklehead200
03-15-2005, 09:10 PM
still don't have a real good answer, basically the only sense i've made of all your posts is that mc's control the crowd better than rappers who just flat out rap, that's about all i've got, frankly I don't think the majority of you know what the hell your talking about, thanks for the effort though

SobaViolence
03-15-2005, 09:16 PM
listen to Blackalicious.

case in point.

Sandinista!
03-15-2005, 11:50 PM
They're the same old bullshit :rolleyes:

The media makes you think that there's a difference; they're sneaky like that.

Kid Presentable
03-16-2005, 10:42 AM
I think hip-hop has been made to look like this complex movement. There's rapping, djing, graffiti, beatboxing, and breakdancing. What more is there to say? You don't really need to go on and on about it. Although I'll probably get flame replies for saying this. As typical around here. :rolleyes:

I hear that!!! (y)

Qdrop
03-16-2005, 10:58 AM
I think hip-hop has been made to look like this complex movement. There's rapping, djing, graffiti, beatboxing, and breakdancing. What more is there to say? You don't really need to go on and on about it. Although I'll probably get flame replies for saying this. As typical around here. :rolleyes:

agreed.

emperors new clothes.

mickill
03-16-2005, 11:10 AM
What about emceeing, turntablism, graff and b-boying etc? Come on, man. You gotta represent all 126 of the elememnts of hip hop, yo.

Extra Cheese
03-16-2005, 11:42 AM
you people are trying to hard with this shit trying to differentiate. only idiots trying to be hip-hop elitist go on and on about these petty meaningless things.

wavin_goodbye
03-16-2005, 11:59 AM
you people are trying to hard with this shit trying to differentiate. only idiots trying to be hip-hop elitist go on and on about these petty meaningless things.

(y)

tdot04
03-16-2005, 06:19 PM
This is turning into the hip-hop vs. rap thread all over again.