PDA

View Full Version : Death From Above 1979....

MC Moot
03-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Holy shit,

Did anyone catch these guy's on Conan O'Brien last week?
Wow,seriously....anyone got/heard the whole record?
There from Toronto,another fine Canadian contribution to all things cool.

mickill
03-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Their album's alright. I bought it when it came out, because it was cheap and had a nice pink cover. The album coulda used a little more variation, but I like more than half the songs, which is good.

SobaViolence
03-16-2005, 06:37 PM
i think for what they set out to do, they hit it on the head.

'pull out' and 'going steady' are my favourites...but i recomend 'you're a woman, i'm a machine' great aggressive album.

Sandinista!
03-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Death from Above 1979? More like Shit from After 1989.

ProfJIM
03-16-2005, 10:32 PM
I had heard of them before but hadnt heard there stuff. And then I caught them on Conan and downloaded some stuff.

I like it (y)

gotta love an aggressive album you can dance too

Mr_Complex
03-17-2005, 04:02 AM
The album is really repetitive and samey. I like "Little Girl" & "You're A Woman, I'm A Machine" but that's about it.

They won't be around long.

MC Moot
03-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the feedback people,good,bad and whatever I'm going to see them on April 7th and the live proof is so often in the pudding...but as to thier potential "staying" power I thought the same about the White Stripes.

Cheers

Teh
03-17-2005, 10:24 AM
They're excellent, i've only just been introduced to them but i'm liking it all alot (y)

Mido
03-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Wow. The word has finally spread on these guys. I've been following them for quite some time now. Just... wow.

ProfJIM
03-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Yeah, it happens. But you're from Canada, so you've had an advantage.
At least I know what your avatar is now.

ToucanSpam
03-18-2005, 10:46 AM
I like these guys a lot. My friends has their album and we blast it when we are driving to BK. (y)

HEIRESS
03-18-2005, 12:11 PM
so much quality Canadian music goes unrecognized
sad
sad

DroppinScience
03-18-2005, 01:52 PM
so much quality Canadian music goes unrecognized
sad
sad

But I think more and more is getting recognized now! (y)

Case in point: The Stills, Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire

Mido
03-18-2005, 09:32 PM
There's too many stories to share.

1 - Postering the city with DFA flyers, getting on the guest list, and having to wait out back for the band to arrive to be allowed in the club. The band then insisted on praising me and Sebastien stared at my poster for about 10 minutes and asked if he could keep it.

2 - My girlfriend, not knowing who he was, came up and made friends with Jesse, drank from his beer, took pictures with him, etc. A year later Jesse saw her and was all "THAT GIRL!", quite humorous.

3 - After showing Jesse's fiance a mustache i swiped off of a manequin, she insisted on finding a way for me to wear it and loaded the back of it up with DFA stickers to ensure that i would look like Jesse. She's recognized me every show since then.

4 - Driving two hours with two of my best friends to meet about 40 kids from the DFA forums at what was possibly the greatest DFA experience ever.

5 - Showing up with the mustache again, with Jesse walking by and commenting with a "nice, nice" while i was walking by. Later on he called me over to talk to him and introduced himself and asked me why i didn't come over and say hi like he asked on the forum

6 - My friend's getting called up on stage to play the encore, thanks to Jesse's fiancee (Misty). Sebastien came out and was all "we have a couple of kids in the audience who know how to play our songs, you know who you are" then they got up and played it perfect. They're basically the official DFA cover band. I've had to sit through many of their practices.

there's quite a few more stories, but i don't think anybody else cares. so i'll stop.

ProfJIM
03-18-2005, 09:41 PM
I care.
That's pretty cool.

Mido
03-18-2005, 11:35 PM
I care.
That's pretty cool.

Well maybe i'll share some more later then ... but for now all I have to say is for all of you not to sleep on the Heads Up and Romantic Rights EPs. Don't think that YAW, IAM is the only good material. I personally prefer Heads Up over it (although I love it all). Oh, and don't forget about Jesse's side project Femme Fatale. Definatley look into it aswell.

If anyone wants me to send them anything, just add me through msn. midoe@rogers.com