PDA

View Full Version : Acquisitions

Sandinista!
03-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Yep, it's another blog-like waste of time entry from yours trully. Enjoy.

Yesterday, I got two CDs in the mail. First, after more than a month, I finally received my New Order "World in Motion" single. The seller, it seems, got my money order, yet it fell behind his desk and barely sent it on Monday. Well, now I have it, and it rocks.

I also got the 1987 Japanese version of the Pet Shop Boys "Actually." Unlike most nutty Jap imports I see, it doesn't offer extra tracks; it's probably because of the release date. Liner notes in Japanese: Trippy.

Today, dad found some neat records at the flea market: Zeppelin I, III and Sabbath's "Technical Ecstasy." Alas, my record player is a piece of crap, only has one speaker and the needle is dulled out; although the "warm" sound is there, it still sounds really substandard due to the above factors.

And he also found Bon Jovi's "New Jersey" for a buck. Neat. No case, though.

Lastly, I was snooping around the house and I found "The Definitive Cars" CD in a dinky little CD wallet, hidden among lame kareoke junk. And to think, all this time I thought it had been lost in some far-off place. I had the case on hand, and now I've got 'em together. Neatness.

In conclusion, I got:

CD's:
New Order- World in Motion (1990 US Version)
Pet Shop Boys- Actually (1987 Japanese Import)
Bon Jovi- New Jersey (1988, no case)
The Cars- The Definitive Cars (2002, bought in Chihuahua for 89 pesos)

Vinyl:
Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin III
Black Sabbath- Technical Ecstasy

At this point, you twats can begin your sporadic, unrelated yapping :rolleyes:

Rancid_Beasties
03-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Do you have to always use such complex language? I mean I dont know another 15 year old that uses the word "twat" as an insult, especially when they are not British. And sporadic, I mean was that really necessary? :rolleyes:

By the way SB/Sandi I love the pet shop boys, bon jovi and zeppelin, but I never really got the appeal of Black Sabbath and New Order. Moreso black sabbath. Aren't they pretty much a metal band, because judging from the people that wear their shirts....... :D

Sandinista!
03-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Yep, a lot of grimy, stoned dinguses wear Sabbath shirts. And then there's me ;)

Still, slackers and teenage know-it-alls seem like a more reliable source of good tunes than mall goths and pennycunt preppies.

Anyhoo, Sabbath can rock quite hard, be ever-gentle and at times uses synths. That, my friend, wins me over (y)

Rancid_Beasties
03-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Twats? Dinguses? Pennycunt preppies?

You never use the same insult twice do you :p

I still think you need to listen to some mars volta (y)

Sandinista!
03-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Twats? Dinguses? Pennycunt preppies?

You never use the same insult twice do you :p

I still think you need to listen to some mars volta (y)

Actually, I use these quite often, but I try to avert repetition in the same thread.

Oh, and the mars volta is an overrated new douche band.

Rancid_Beasties
03-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Thats the first time i've heard you insult them, every time i've bought them up in the past you've insulted every other band i mentioned and left them alone. Why the change? Have you actually heard a song by them lately?

Sandinista!
03-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Thats the first time i've heard you insult them, every time i've bought them up in the past you've insulted every other band i mentioned and left them alone. Why the change? Have you actually heard a song by them lately?

I've always insulted them, and if I've never stated "mars volta is shit" before, then by means of virtual representation, that idiot new band is automatically "dissed," as modern street trash likes to say :rolleyes:

Rancid_Beasties
03-19-2005, 09:55 PM
But have you heard one of their songs ever? I honestly dont think you will be able to find another band like them. Plus they are hispanic...and they sing in spanish occasionally. If you dont like the song "L'Via L'Viaquez" then I will never bother you about this again, I'll leave you to your little world pre-1989 :D

Matt
03-19-2005, 10:06 PM
I honestly dont think you will be able to find another band like them.

They're called "Rush"

Sandinista!
03-19-2005, 10:09 PM
They're called "Rush"

Zing.

Anyhoo, so what if they sing in Spanish? That turns me off even more; I've never found stuff in Spanish to be appealing, even if it corresponds to my era. My records seem to indicate that I prefer Englishmen that use electric guitars or synths.

And the words "L'Via L'Viaquez" aren't even Spanish :rolleyes:

Rancid_Beasties
03-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I like Rush, but they aren't much like the Mars Volta. They are alot more synth 80s style than the Mars Volta.

And if they aren't singing in spanish what are they singing in, it sounds spanish to me :confused:

L’ Via
Hija de Miranda
Tu Apellido se cambió
L’ Via
Sin Ojos me quieres dar
Una historia sin mi madre
Solo tengo que decirte
El dolor de noche dice
Solo se quedo el vestido
Le lave la sangre

:confused:

DroppinScience
03-19-2005, 11:26 PM
I like Rush, but they aren't much like the Mars Volta. They are alot more synth 80s style than the Mars Volta.

And if they aren't singing in spanish what are they singing in, it sounds spanish to me :confused:

L’ Via
Hija de Miranda
Tu Apellido se cambió
L’ Via
Sin Ojos me quieres dar
Una historia sin mi madre
Solo tengo que decirte
El dolor de noche dice
Solo se quedo el vestido
Le lave la sangre

:confused:

Those are Spanish lyrics, but the words "L'Via L'Viaquez" is far from proper Spanish. I don't even know what the fuck that would mean? (Is it supposed to be a name?)

Without consulting my diccionario, those lyrics are pretty much about this young girl growing up without a mother and stuff like that.

Muy triste.

Documad
03-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Sandinista!: Re your Led Zeppelin III. Isn't the cover with the wheel-thingy cool? And would you please tell me whether a message is etched into the runout area? Mine says "Do What Thou Wilt" on side one and "So Mote Be it" on side two. (Apparently "mote" is old english for may or might.)

I would appreciate it if you would look. I don't know anyone else who has the vinyl.

I don't suppose you have London Calling on vinyl? I have the same question.

Sandinista!
03-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Sandinista!: Re your Led Zeppelin III. Isn't the cover with the wheel-thingy cool? And would you please tell me whether a message is etched into the runout area? Mine says "Do What Thou Wilt" on side one and "So Mote Be it" on side two. (Apparently "mote" is old english for may or might.)

That wheel-thingy must've been the coolest thing that stoned hippy ever used before selling the LP.

Anyhoo, clarify what the "runout area" is :confused:

Matt
03-19-2005, 11:47 PM
That wheel-thingy must've been the coolest thing that stoned hippy ever used before selling the LP.

Anyhoo, clarify what the "runout area" is :confused:

the unused area near the center of the vinyl. sometimes things are etched in there.

Matt
03-19-2005, 11:48 PM
I don't suppose you have London Calling on vinyl? I have the same question.

I've got it. both original and re-issue. neither of them have anything etched in the runoff.

Documad
03-20-2005, 12:08 AM
I've got it. both original and re-issue. neither of them have anything etched in the runoff.

My copy of London Calling has nothing on Sides 1 and 2. Side 3 says " The . . ." and Side 4 says "Walls!" Which makes me think that the rest of the message was on some other side 1 and 2, and somewhere out there somebody else has the other two pieces.

Beastie Boys - Scientists of Sound says "Episode 1 . . . Don't Front" and "Do the Math"

Sandinista!
03-20-2005, 12:08 AM
"So mote be it" and other stuff is on there; it'sall in cursive, and never did comprehend cursive :eek:

One thing is a long word with M followed by a capital A (or R), and the other one looks like "Wow," almost.

Matt
03-20-2005, 12:11 AM
My copy of London Calling has nothing on Sides 1 and 2. Side 3 says " The . . ." and Side 4 says "Walls!" Which makes me think that the rest of the message was on some other side 1 and 2, and somewhere out there somebody else has the other two pieces.

Its like the wonder twins!

by the way, how is the quality of the outer sleeve on your copy of London Calling? I've only got the two discs and the paper sleeves, but on the reissue, the thing is fucking falling apart!

Documad
03-20-2005, 12:20 AM
Its like the wonder twins!

by the way, how is the quality of the outer sleeve on your copy of London Calling? I've only got the two discs and the paper sleeves, but on the reissue, the thing is fucking falling apart!
Not bad considering what it's been through. It was probably my most played record. It's moved with me a bunch of times and has been jammed into crates in apartments along the way. The paper sleeves are ripped all to hell and eventually I put the discs in plastic sleeves and then I crammed the whole mess into the outer sleeve. Combat Rock is in almost mint condition, however. :)

"So mote be it" and other stuff is on there; it'sall in cursive, and never did comprehend cursive :eek:

One thing is a long word with M followed by a capital A (or R), and the other one looks like "Wow," almost.
It's the prettiest writing on any runout I've seen.

Sandinista!
03-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Goddamnit, there's a crack on Led Zeppelin I and "Good Times Bad Times" and "Your Time is Gonna Come" are skipping horribly and constantly :(

Son of a new music whore... it extends halfway into "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You," and on the other side, it ends right as "Black Mountain Side" concludes.

Matt
03-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Not bad considering what it's been through. It was probably my most played record. It's moved with me a bunch of times and has been jammed into crates in apartments along the way. The paper sleeves are ripped all to hell and eventually I put the discs in plastic sleeves and then I crammed the whole mess into the outer sleeve. Combat Rock is in almost mint condition, however. :)

I'm jealous of Combat Rock. I've only got the re-issue. (y)