PDA

View Full Version : The Beach Boys

DroppinScience
03-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Yup, it's '60s night tonight.

Anyways, any of you guys love The Beach Boys too? As much as "Pet Sounds" is a masterpiece, I've definitely got a soft spot for their early stuff. Nuthin' like surf, girls, cars, sand and sun! :cool:

ToucanSpam
03-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Yup, it's '60s night tonight.

Anyways, any of you guys love The Beach Boys too? As much as "Pet Sounds" is a masterpiece, I've definitely got a soft spot for their early stuff. Nuthin' like surf, girls, cars, sand and sun! :cool:
Yes. I own their greatest hits collection.

I dont care what anyone says Kokomo is a good song. :mad:

DroppinScience
03-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Yes. I own their greatest hits collection.

Ehh... let's not dwell on their embarrassing '80s stuff. :eek:

But yeah, Kokomo was okay.

Sandinista!
03-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Nuthin' like surf, girls, cars, sand and sun! :cool:

I'm four miles from the ocean and believe you me, all those over-romanticized lyrics are moose dung.

ToucanSpam
03-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I love the song Surfer Girl, Surfin USA, and if i was up on my Beach Boys I'd know more. OOO Good Vibrations.

I wish they all could be Califoria girlllllllllllllllllllls ;)

Lindsey_1535
03-19-2005, 10:50 PM
My dad makes listen to them whenever were in the convertible. So ya there good in my books

DroppinScience
03-19-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm four miles from the ocean and believe you me, all those over-romanticized lyrics are moose dung.

I'll bet it was all better back in '89. ;)

hitmonlee
03-20-2005, 07:11 AM
my dad loves the beach boys so i hear them a fair bit

probably mostly mainstream ones, my favourite is california girls and i also like barabara ann, good vibrations, get around

Los Para Noias
03-20-2005, 08:21 AM
their early singles are alright, but none (except good vibrations) compare to Pet Sounds. That album is amazing.

abcdefz
03-20-2005, 12:15 PM
"Let Him Run Wild" is an amazing song.

I like a bunch of Beach Boys stuff, and disc three from the Good Vibrations set actually makes a case for a chunk of their 70's work. "Disney Girls" is great stuff.

But, yeah.... Pet Sounds is the stuff. That and Beach Boys Today! (y)

abcdefz
03-20-2005, 12:16 PM
....by the way, if you like the Beach Boys and haven't given The Beta Band a chance, you really should. Especially on Hot Shots 2 and Heroes to Zeros, it's like Brian never really stopped.

DroppinScience
03-20-2005, 02:15 PM
....by the way, if you like the Beach Boys and haven't given The Beta Band a chance, you really should. Especially on Hot Shots 2 and Heroes to Zeros, it's like Brian never really stopped.

LOVE the Beta Band. So sad they disbanded. :(

abcdefz
03-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Yeah. I think all you've got left is a DVD release they're working on. Sounds like one disk will be live stuff and one disk is the making of Heroes to Zeros.

DroppinScience
03-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Yeah. I think all you've got left is a DVD release they're working on. Sounds like one disk will be live stuff and one disk is the making of Heroes to Zeros.

Word. Any news of when that will be released?

abcdefz
03-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Just that it's being edited in seclusion.

I might be wrong about the components; looks like there might be Beta Band films rather than live stuff. That kinda sucks.

http://www.lab.artscience.net/clients/beta/yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11063947 93

The Notorious LOL
03-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Pet Sounds sucks.

DroppinScience
03-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Just that it's being edited in seclusion.

I might be wrong about the components; looks like there might be Beta Band films rather than live stuff. That kinda sucks.

http://www.lab.artscience.net/clients/beta/yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11063947 93

It still should be a great going away present! (y)

Trimm Trabb
03-20-2005, 06:03 PM
I've only just got Pet Sounds and was amazed that I actually knew all the songs already. Probably been played a lot on the radio or used on telly.
Very good stuff and I feel stupid for not getting it earlier.

edit:

Kokomo always reminds me of an episode of Full House, where they were on holiday and they got on stage with the beach boys at the end. That song gave me the shivers when I was 4. And I mean shivers of the good kind.

abcdefz
03-21-2005, 10:05 AM
It still should be a great going away present! (y)

Maybe. I'm iffy about the films. I've only seen one of their videos, and it was interesting, but didn't really go with the music and didn't really look like something I'd watch repeatedly.

My current desktop is a shot of the drummer on the set of "Squares," giving a snarky look at the camera.

hitmonlee
03-22-2005, 01:47 AM
Kokomo always reminds me of an episode of Full House, where they were on holiday and they got on stage with the beach boys at the end. That song gave me the shivers when I was 4. And I mean shivers of the good kind.

w00 john stamos alright!

i get bad shivers

*sings california girls to get the bad shivers away*

ASsman
03-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Sorry, IMO it's moose poop.

I guess my taste isn't that "old".

abcdefz
03-22-2005, 10:31 AM
The Beach Boys are one of those groups that aren't cool to like, really. The tight harmonies and the real love of melody and everything make them seem incredibly unhip and an obvious target. But if you can leave the baggage at the door and give them a clearheaded listen, you quickly realize their best stuff is just mind blowing.

lionelcrush
04-01-2005, 04:46 PM
beach boys r mad nice .. back in the day could u just imagine when pet sounds came out how those kids felt about it .., all those harmonies probably blew their mind .. noone messes with their harmonies .. its not just ooo's and aah's ... its doing's and oo a cha ka 's ... i appreciate that cuz its taking a risk that makes the song sound better

Penny Lane
04-02-2005, 10:13 AM
I really like The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds is a great album. 'Feel Flows' is my favorite song by them.

abcdefz
04-02-2005, 10:17 AM
I really like The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds is a great album. 'Feel Flows' is my favorite song by them.

...you wouldn't happen to be Cameron Crowe, would you? :D

Penny Lane
04-02-2005, 10:26 AM
...you wouldn't happen to be Cameron Crowe, would you? :D

Neh, just someone who loves his movies and their soundtracks :D

abcdefz
04-02-2005, 10:50 AM
...have you been following Elizabethtown?

Penny Lane
04-02-2005, 11:24 AM
All I know it's going to be released in July, and that Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom are going to starr in it.. I hope it will be as good as his other movies.

ToucanSpam
04-02-2005, 11:30 AM
I love this thread, it reminds me of simpler times as a kid listening to the Beach Boys................ :D

abcdefz
04-02-2005, 11:39 AM
All I know it's going to be released in July, and that Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom are going to starr in it.. I hope it will be as good as his other movies.

...I know it got pushed back to the fall; October, I think.

The cast frightens me. The premise is... okay. The only thing Bloom has been good in is Black Hawk Down -- but he was very good. Almost every actor does their best stuff when they work with Crowe, so we'll see.

*crosses fingers*

Penny Lane
04-02-2005, 11:50 AM
...I know it got pushed back to the fall; October, I think.

The cast frightens me. The premise is... okay. The only thing Bloom has been good in is Black Hawk Down -- but he was very good. Almost every actor does their best stuff when they work with Crowe, so we'll see.

*crosses fingers*

I know what you mean.. I was kind of disappointed..But like with Kate Hudson, she was great in Almost Famous but besides that she hasnt really done anything that was so great, so maybe it will be the same with Orlando Bloom..maybe all he needs is a good director.

abcdefz
04-02-2005, 12:00 PM
*crosses fingers*

DroppinScience
04-02-2005, 10:59 PM
I love this thread, it reminds me of simpler times as a kid listening to the Beach Boys................ :D

I agree. To me, the Beach Boys represent very care-free times. :D

"We'll be having fun all summer loooooooongg."

ToucanSpam
04-02-2005, 11:34 PM
She'll have fun fun fun till her daddy takes the T-Bird awaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy :D :D :D :D

DroppinScience
04-02-2005, 11:35 PM
The little old lady from Pasadeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenaaaaaa!!!! :D

ToucanSpam
04-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Help me Rhonda help help me Rhonda :D :D OKKKKKKKK going to bed now.

abcdefz
04-03-2005, 09:36 AM
I agree. To me, the Beach Boys represent very care-free times. :D

...you might want to listen more closely to some of that. :D

DroppinScience
04-03-2005, 10:50 AM
...you might want to listen more closely to some of that. :D

Talkin' more of that pre-Pet Sounds stuff. :D