PDA

View Full Version : Albums Tied to Memory

Sandinista!
03-20-2005, 12:33 AM
So, got any particular record, cassette or CD that, for some reason, evokes a childhood memory?

I recall that when I was around 4 or 5, there was this cassette that always drew my eye. Why? There were some amusing silhouettes on it. When you're a kid, your drawn to that. My uncle then let me have the item, and I gleefully took it home, using as a decoration more than actually "listening" to it. Then, at some point, I lost it and I was never able to find it again.

Fast forward to now...

I was snooping around listening to random snippets of synth-pop somewhere and guess what I found:

Information Society's 1988 debut (http://services.windowsmedia.com/cover/200/drd600/d686/d686975w744.jpg)

At that point Black Cherry Mountain Dew spewed out of my nose and fuzzy memories began to crop up.

D'you fellas have any similar experiences?

Hector_Sancho
03-20-2005, 12:36 AM
The Beatles Anthology because of this. (http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=767379&postcount=5)

Matt
03-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Its not an album, but Meat Loaf's "I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" and a Genisis song I can't remember the title of remind me of sitting with my mom and sisters watching VH1 when I was five.

Also, its not a childhood memory, but London Calling reminds me of last winter 03-04. It was an alright time. (y)

and New Order's (the best of) NewOrder reminds me of this place :p

Auton
03-20-2005, 12:38 AM
the only albums i associate with childhood memories are Rubber Soul and Revolver

otherwise, i have plenty of albums (in their entirety) that i associate with memories (Zep's Houses of the Holy, Costello's Imperial Bedroom and This Year's Model, The Zombies' Odyssey and Oracle, the Who Sell Out, etc.)

good thread idea, and by the way, have you ever tried any Costello? I think you'd like Armed Forces... it's uses a startling amount of synthesizers... oh and the song he did with Mick Jones in '78 is pretty good too.

Matt
03-20-2005, 12:39 AM
The Beatles Anthology because of this. (http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=767379&postcount=5)

oh snap! the Beatles Anthology was the first CD my family ever owned, and I remember hooking up a portable Sony CD player to our turntable's input ports and listening to that thing the whole way through (y)

Sandinista!
and New Order's (the best of) NewOrder reminds me of this place :p

Is this 'cos 'o moi? ;)

HEIRESS
HEY SINGLE SONG MEMORIESE BELONG IN MY FUNKING THREAD SUCKAS

I remember listening to MJ "Bad" in our old station wagon on the way to swimming lessons back in the 80s all the time

and I remember MC hammers "cant touch this" album and hendrix's "are you experienced" because those were THE first albums I ever bought when we got our initial CD player
sheee-it, I was ecclectic back then even yo

Lindsey_1535
03-20-2005, 12:42 AM
Fred Penner. Sandwiches, still have it on vinyl. :cool:

Hector_Sancho
03-20-2005, 12:42 AM
oh snap! the Beatles Anthology was the first CD my family ever owned, and I remember hooking up a portable Sony CD player to our turntable's input ports and listening to that thing the whole way through (y)
Yeah, I wanted to listen to it a couple weeks ago, but we only have the cassettes so I can't listen to it anywhere cause the tape deck on my stero is broken and we don't have a cassette player in the car. (n)

Matt
03-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Is this 'cos 'o moi? ;)

partly. you and Teh, really. and the fact that you guys were the ones who got me into them, and I met you on this board. so it all filters down to the board.

HEIRESS
03-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Fred Penner. Sandwiches, still have it on vinyl. :cool:

awww fred penner

didnt he climb through a log or something at the beginning of his show???

Lindsey_1535
03-20-2005, 01:13 AM
awww fred penner

didnt he climb through a log or something at the beginning of his show???
You bet your ass he did.

Anddddd my sciences teacher is next door nighbors with him, and I saw him a FolkFest :cool:

Matt
03-20-2005, 01:15 AM
You bet your ass he did.

Anddddd my sciences teacher is next door nighbors with him, and I saw him a FolkFest :cool:

oh shit! Hook me up with an autograph!

him and Sharon, Lois, and Brahm were my early youth! :cool:

HEIRESS
03-20-2005, 01:15 AM
HAPPY FEET is still a banging track

Sandinista!
03-20-2005, 01:17 AM
If I needed to justify my reaction to the CD cover, then the cassette case confirms my suspicion:

That's definitively it! (http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/74/20/e2_1_b.JPG)

HellofaSandwich
03-20-2005, 02:59 AM
oh shit! Hook me up with an autograph!

him and Sharon, Lois, and Brahm were my early youth! :cool:

Man, now I'm remembering all those old shows that I used to watch: Fred Penner, Mr. Dressup, The Umbrella Tree (I think?), Today's Special...

Oh shit. What was that PBS show that had the Dragnet spoof called "Mathnet" as a segment? I loved that stuff. For some reason, I remember that shit being intense.

HEIRESS
03-20-2005, 03:02 AM
I loved under the umbrella tree

IGGY THE IGUANA!

mr_krinkle
03-20-2005, 08:58 AM
beatles - yellow submarine

rhcp - californication

primus - antipop

enree erzweglle
03-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. The first double album I ever owned. My brother brought it back for me from college for Christmas and I sneaked into it before 25 Dec just to put my hands on it.