PDA

View Full Version : costello

like2_drink
03-20-2005, 06:59 PM
I downloaded a few songs of his and their brilliant..a little sad..but brilliant non-the-less. anyone know of some good costello songs i should hear?

Auton
03-20-2005, 07:01 PM
costello sux

Auton
03-20-2005, 07:06 PM
seriously though, anything off of Imperial Bedroom, This Year's Model, Armed Forces, Blood and Chocolate, Trust, or Brutal Youth is bound to be good, so i recommend checking out some of the songs from those albums.. "lipstick vogue," "accidents will happen" "oliver's army" "i want you" "new lace sleeves" "london's brilliant parade" "you'll never be a man" etc...

Auton
03-20-2005, 07:15 PM
oh, and you have to download "shipbuilding"

and "beyond belief" and "man out of time"

and "radio radio" i guess

like2_drink
03-20-2005, 07:17 PM
thanks alot auton (y) ill get to listening to them in a bit ( dont have a downloader at the moment )

Documad
03-20-2005, 07:24 PM
It's tough without knowing what you liked. He has many albums. If you're just getting started, I'd recommend that you buy stuff off the greatest hits thing.

Imperial Bedroom isn't just my favorite Elvis Costello album, it's one of my all time favs, but other than Auton, I've never known anyone who loved it as much as me, so I'm hesitant to suggest that. But it's just so fricking amazing start to finish.

Auton
03-20-2005, 07:26 PM
it really is impossibly good.

DroppinScience
03-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Start with early stuff ("My Aim Is True" being the first album) and work your way from there. He truly is fantastic! (y)

He's run into a few weird spots here and there in the 90s and 00s, so tread carefully as you continue on into the years (in other words, avoid "North" and the opera stuff he did :p ).

Auton
03-20-2005, 07:30 PM
boooooooo

Matt
03-21-2005, 12:49 AM
Imperial Bedroom isn't just my favorite Elvis Costello album, it's one of my all time favs, but other than Auton, I've never known anyone who loved it as much as me, so I'm hesitant to suggest that. But it's just so fricking amazing start to finish.

Imperial Bedroom is in my top five albums of all time. It's just consistantly good throughout the whole album. "...And In Every Home" is just awesome, and the demo version on the bonus disc just proves how good the song is and how it can hold up without the orcestra.

If you want to go with albums, get This Year's Model, then Get Happy!!!, then Armed Forces, then Imperial Bedroom, then Spike. then any other albums in any order. But it really is hard to tell you what to get when we don't know what you liked. If you could, list the songs you downloaded. (y)

roni
03-21-2005, 01:26 AM
i suggest 'veronica'. i like it, even more so since it's my name, and everytime i meet someone new they start singing it, or ask me if i know the song... turns out that it is a good song tho, in my opinion. i also like 'peace love and understanding', 'allison,' those are more poppy and catchy, there are more of course, i just think it's more fun to listen to as much as ya can and then decide for yourself what's good and stuff.... have fun downloading...

yeahwho
03-21-2005, 06:12 AM
You're nobody in this town
You're nobody in this crowd
You're nobody 'til everybody in this town
knows you're poison,
Got your number knows it must be avoided
You're nobody 'til everybody in this town
thinks you're a bastard.........

that or,

See her picture in a thousand places 'Cause she's this year's girl..........

The first three albums amaze, all the rest astound.

abcdefz
03-21-2005, 09:25 AM

Oh, me too. That's an amazing record. Columbia took out an ad for it at the time that just said "Masterpiece?" which apparently, Declan hated, but it was as good a slogan as any. Steve Neive gets major, major props for his arrangements. The songs are brilliant. The drumming on "Beyond Belief" truly is.

It's amazing to hear the outtakes and alternate versions from that, because so many of them are really off. Some miracle pulled that record together.

Anyway, that's his best record. Then I'd say it's probably This Year's Model, Armed Forces, King of America, then My Aim is True.

But, yeah -- "Shipbuilding" is a beautiful, beautiful song. Tasmin Archer recorded a terrific version, too.

TAL
03-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Wendy James (from Transvision Vamp) made an album in 1993 called Now Ain't The Time For Your Tears. Costello wrote all the songs. The album didn't sell much.

abcdefz
03-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Was it any good?

Kind of weird that Costello would snag Dylan's line.

TAL
03-21-2005, 09:53 AM
I like it, but that's probably because I'm a fan of her and Transivision Vamp.

I could upload some mp3's if you feel like having a listen.

abcdefz
03-21-2005, 09:55 AM
I'll sample it over at AllMusic. Quicker.

Come to think of it, Costello did his own "I Want You," which already lined him up with Dylan and John Lennon, I guess.

alexandra
03-21-2005, 10:28 AM
"Watching The Detectives" and "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" are my favorites at the moment. give them a listen, like2_drink. (y)

TAL
03-21-2005, 10:29 AM
I'll sample it over at AllMusic. Quicker.

Come to think of it, Costello did his own "I Want You," which already lined him up with Dylan and John Lennon, I guess.

Don't be too harsh with your verdict :)

abcdefz
03-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Don't be too harsh with your verdict :)

I wasn't being harsh; I was just saying that Dylan and Lennon each wrote songs called "I Want You," and Costello later did one, too. It's not the most original title in the world, but I have a hard time thinking he didn't know of the historical precedent, and probably half a dozen others. There's probably a Cole Porter song out there by that name.

But I'm not crazy about Costello's song. Sometimes he seems to fall back on bitterness and a certain misanthropy as his shtick, and I think that's one of those times. I was one of the few folks who didn't think Blood & Chocolate was a very good album, anyway. I liked "Tokyo Storm Warning," though.

TAL
03-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Oh no! I meant with the verdict you're gonna give for Wendy James.

abcdefz
03-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Ah.

No -- I wouldn't make a verdict based on 30 second song samples, but it usually gives me some idea of whether or not I'd be interested in hearing more.

abcdefz
03-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Wendy James (from Transvision Vamp) made an album in 1993 called Now Ain't The Time For Your Tears. Costello wrote all the songs. The album didn't sell much.

Wow. Neither All Music nor Amazon have sound samples. Used copies available at Amazon starting at fifty cents!

TAL
03-21-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm not really surprised, just a little.

I'll try again later.

abcdefz
03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
The page cannot be displayed

TAL
03-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I just noticed that. Seems like they're having server problems since I can't see the pictures I have uploaded either.

the been
03-21-2005, 03:21 PM
i've always thought 'everyday i write the book' is such a clever song.

i LOVE the early stuff.

TAL
03-21-2005, 03:25 PM
The page cannot be displayed
It is now back in business :) (http://www.multi.fi/~tal/music)

abcdefz
03-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Danke!

CiaoBellaXO
03-21-2005, 03:52 PM
He should get contacts....those glasses are way outdated.

yeahwho
03-21-2005, 03:59 PM

He's making a bundle on those "Can You Hear Me Now?" ads for Verizon.

DroppinScience
03-21-2005, 04:03 PM

You said... WHAT?!? :eek:

CiaoBellaXO
03-21-2005, 04:05 PM
you heard me...OUTDATED!

DroppinScience
03-21-2005, 04:14 PM
you heard me...OUTDATED!

Costello has got the awesomest glasses. EVER. That's part of his Costello-ness.
:mad:

cosmo105
03-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Start with early stuff ("My Aim Is True" being the first album) and work your way from there. He truly is fantastic! (y)

He's run into a few weird spots here and there in the 90s and 00s, so tread carefully as you continue on into the years (in other words, avoid "North" and the opera stuff he did :p ).
oh shut up already.

When I Was Cruel was bitchin'.

yeah, i've gotten into him a lot in the last year. i have Ed to thank for that mostly. that and the scabies (y)

Documad
03-21-2005, 08:30 PM
i suggest 'veronica'.
I was going to mention that one. It's the only one I downloaded because I didn't replace my vinyl LP.

I should have known that besides Auton, I could add Matt and A to Z to the list of Imperial Bedroom lovers!!! Besides what's been said above, it's the piano, and Shabby Doll, Almost Blue, the Young Ones, Human Hands . . . .

WhoMoi?
03-21-2005, 09:25 PM
^
I like Veronica too. I just downloaded it last week, as a matter of fact. I've been considering exploring more of his music but haven't really known where to start either. From what I've heard so far, I seem to like his more upbeat songs, like Veronica, Pump it Up, and Radio Radio.

DroppinScience
03-22-2005, 12:54 AM
oh shut up already.

When I Was Cruel was bitchin'.

"When I Was Cruel" was a brilliant return to form for Costello. Again, more words are put in my mouth. :mad:

When did saying to avoid "North" and anything where he does the weird opera shit mean avoid "When I Was Cruel"?

Oh yes and "The Delivery Man" was a good recovery from "North" too. I just hope Diana Krall doesn't compel him to go bland... again. Stupid Krall. :(

Matt
03-22-2005, 01:01 AM
North was...alright. Il Songo is good if you like that kind of stuff (and a part of me does)

Anyhoo, Spike is a near essential album, and it's amazing when you read about how they recorded it. it was all piecemeal, really. go get that album, "...This Town..." "Veronica" "Pads, Paws and Claws" "Let Him Dangle" and "Any King's Shilling" are just some of the essential songs from this album.

abcdefz
03-22-2005, 09:02 AM
I think the only Costello album everyone and their brother would agree you should skip is Goodbye Cruel World.

Other greatness on Imperial Bedroom: "You Little Fool" and has anyone said "Man Out of Time"?

You Little Fool had a good video, too.

And "Town Crier" is stunning.

My little anecdote: when I first got the album and taped it to cassette, my player's needle was really limping and finally broke. Took me a while to replace it, and by that time, I knew Imperial Bedroom backwards and forwards, I had thought.

then I bought the Mobile Fidelity version of the record and taped it and realized the album was about 55 minutes, and since the needle had broken, I'd never noticed that I'd never heard the last two songs. It was a great discovery, and I only felt stupid for a few minutes. (y)

abcdefz
03-22-2005, 09:04 AM
North was...alright. Il Songo is good if you like that kind of stuff (and a part of me does)

Anyhoo, Spike is a near essential album, and it's amazing when you read about how they recorded it. it was all piecemeal, really. go get that album, "...This Town..." "Veronica" "Pads, Paws and Claws" "Let Him Dangle" and "Any King's Shilling" are just some of the essential songs from this album.

Let Him Dangle is superb.

I think the album's a bit too uneven -- I liked Mighty Like a Rose better. Especially "How to Be Dumb," which is beautifully scathing.

The concert for Rose that I saw was just awful, though.

Beasties1
03-22-2005, 10:54 AM
costello admires el-p

abcdefz
03-22-2005, 11:00 AM
...surely you're not saying Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.... :confused:

brendan
03-22-2005, 12:38 PM
costello admires el-p

just curious...where did you hear that?

abcdefz
03-22-2005, 01:10 PM
...I can't tell if the reference is supposed to be to ELP or EL-vis P-resley.

Beasties1
03-22-2005, 03:42 PM
no,not emerson lake and palmer but the def jux dude.he said he loved cannibal ox's album cold vein and even bjork and radiohead like el-p and say he is one of the best modern artists.See that also:

For your work on the Cannibal Ox album, you got a lot of compliments from 'unsuspected' places, like Elvis Costello, Baz Luhrman who did the movie "Moulin Rouge". Have you received the same for "Fantastic Damage"?
I have. Baz nominated "Fantastic Damage" for a Shortlist award. Elvis Costello has mentioned "Fantastic Damage" as one of his favorite records of the year. So for some reason I now have a fan in Elvis Costello. Which I find strange. Although it's official that I can't get in touch with him.
Why?
He's fuckin' Elvis Costello (smiles). I tried. I just got cocky and was like: 'let me try and call.' No. Not happening.
So yeah, it's weird. But it's cool actually. I like the idea that there are people who weren't just peeping hip hop out, and know what I know. Which is that just some of the most exiting shit in music period, is happening in hip hop. And I'm not saying my shit, but in general, Hip hop to me has always been the most exciting music out. That's where I feel that most of the boundaries in music have been pushed in the last decade. That's where the most life is right now, the least amount of rules, but also the most amount of spirit.

i also saw an elvis costello interview but i can't find it now.El-P is the guy on my avatar,check out the projects of this guy,very talented and creative,his last work i think is this with the jazz musicians,i heard he may work with RATM.

Matt
03-22-2005, 05:03 PM
You Little Fool had a good video, too.

I wasn't aware of the video for that :eek:

In fact, the only videos I have seen were "...this town...", "Veronica", "The Other Side Of Summer" and "45". Veronica was great, especially the monolouge at the begining and the fact that Declan (he was going by declan at this point, right?) didn't lip synch the video, but they played the song, in the background and he sang along with the song. I don't know why, but that was always great to me (y)

Oh, and check out the "version discotheque" of Town Cryer. It's a great spin on a great song.

Documad
03-22-2005, 05:37 PM
I wasn't aware of the video for that :eek:
I was going to say that! I saw the early videos with the Attractions, as well as the later one with the Charles and Di impersonators, but nothing for Imperial Bedroom.

abcdefz
03-22-2005, 05:53 PM
In the "You Little Fool" video, they basically center it on a couple of British teenagers stealing off on a train, clearly to go have a romp. It was pretty sexy in a way and sad at the same time. And it kept cutting back to the two in their schoolyard sort of flirting and touching, and Elvis is the schoolmaster, pacing back and forth and scowling.

When Columbia put out that first Greatest Hits album, they dropped a VHS tape that corresponded to it; that's where I had my copy. There was a good animated version of "Green Shirt," if I recall correctly.

Matt
03-22-2005, 07:39 PM
I almost bought that tape. now I'm kicking myself for not buying it.

cosmo105
03-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Again, more words are put in my mouth. :mad:
i know, i should have put my cock in there instead like you're used to. my apologies

abcdefz
03-23-2005, 09:52 AM
I almost bought that tape. now I'm kicking myself for not buying it.

You can get a used copy on Amazon for about $9.

It's stuffed full of videos -- most of 'em are for curiosity value only, but "You Little Fool" was a gem.

Documad
03-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Turns out I DO own Spike on CD. wtf? I guess I should have gone through all my old CDs before buying music on itunes. :o

Matt
03-31-2005, 05:59 AM
Turns out I DO own Spike on CD. wtf? I guess I should have gone through all my old CDs before buying music on itunes. :o

yeah, but do you have the original version or the reissued one on Rhino? If you don't have the reissued one, it's totally worth it. trust me. (y)