PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about albums that nobody seems to talk about too much

mickill
03-21-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm hoping that this won't just become another 'everybody list their favorite obscure albums' thread. But feel free to recommend something that you think deserves some attention, that maybe doesn't come up very often in this forum.

While it isn't entirely overlooked, and has actually sold quite well to date, I'd like to re-suggest So Tonight That I Might See by Mazzy Star. It's a pretty moody and dark, but pretty and intimate album. There's a wide scope of influences involved; everything from sad ambient Jesus And Mary Chain-styled ballads to slowed down blues, but the album remains quite coherent from beginning to end. It's got sort of a drugged out hazy quality to it, both musically and vocally. Fade Into You is the immediate standout track, but Blue Light, Bells Ring and a cover of Arthur Lee's Five String Serenade are all fairly awesome in their own right.

Brother McDuff
03-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Mickill, if you're into those intimate albums with dark undercurrents, you should really check out Fiona Apple's "When the Pawn...." She's got an amazing vocal style and writes some pretty heavy stuff. It was produced by John Brion who's known for creating some pretty wild soundscapes. The studio players on that album are off the hook as well, some really good musicians.

yeahwho
03-21-2005, 02:13 PM
I had that Mazzy Star CD till 3-4 years ago and somebody either borrowed it or I lost it....your description is dead on, (y) . If I still had it I'd put it on right now... :(

An album that absolutely floored me, that was overlooked in the states, the "House of Love" on the fontana label. Grunge was all that when this came out, especially here in Seattle. But that first full length album by the House of Love had it all. Hannah/ Shine On/ Beatles And The Stones/ I Don’t Know Why I Love You/ In A Room/ Blind.....each song a 10. Of course if your in the UK, you probably own this, but here in the states it is seldom heard.

Saw them live in a tiny half filled bar (50-70 people), the show was amazing! Unforgettable.

So many other "nobody seems to talk about bands" out there, obscure, yet fantastic...

abcdefz
03-21-2005, 02:18 PM
I swear up and down that Eldorado by ELO is a masterpiece. It's a concept album that works -- it's about a guy who retreats into fantasy and even psychosis and, in fact, finds it a better world. It's got the best singing performance by someone with not such a great voice this side of Roger waters' performance on The Wall.

click (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=10:dec1z85ajyv6)

cookiepuss
03-21-2005, 02:21 PM
While it isn't entirely overlooked, and has actually sold quite well to date, I'd like to re-suggest So Tonight That I Might See by Mazzy Star. It's a pretty moody and dark, but pretty and intimate album. There's a wide scope of influences involved; everything from sad ambient Jesus And Mary Chain-styled ballads to slowed down blues, but the album remains quite coherent from beginning to end. It's got sort of a drugged out hazy quality to it, both musically and vocally. Fade Into You is the immediate standout track, but Blue Light, Bells Ring and a cover of Arthur Lee's Five String Serenade are all fairly awesome in their own right.

I concur. You really can't go wrong with most mazzy albums, "Among My Swan" is also nice. Hope Sandoval's vocals are always awesome. She was(maybe still is) dating someone in the Jesus and Mary Chain..so that may explain some of the influence in sound on "Tonight So That I May See."

Tompz
03-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Any Juliana Hatfield album. Xcept the last one "In exile deo".

"Become what you are" from -93 is amazing. I'll marry that girl someday.

yeahwho
03-21-2005, 02:33 PM
I concur. You really can't go wrong with most mazzy albums, "Among My Swan" is also nice. Hope Sandoval's vocals are always awesome. She was(maybe still is) dating someone in the Jesus and Mary Chain..so that may explain some of the influence in sound on "Tonight So That I May See."

Not to focus too much on Mazzy but I swear I heard that song "Fade Into You" in a car ad on the TV this past year.

?Did I?

mickill
03-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Mickill, if you're into those intimate albums with dark undercurrents, you should really check out Fiona Apple's "When the Pawn...." She's got an amazing vocal style and writes some pretty heavy stuff. It was produced by John Brion who's known for creating some pretty wild soundscapes. The studio players on that album are off the hook as well, some really good musicians.

Yeah, I have both of her albums. I'm glad that she's finally dropping another album soon.

yeahwho
03-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Not to focus too much on Mazzy but I swear I heard that song "Fade Into You" in a car ad on the TV this past year.

?Did I?

It was a diet coke ad...years ago (2001), something about panties.........all this fool says is some "inoffensive music plays in the background as a man's voice narrates", will that is none other than Mazzy Star's Fade Into You!

The narrator is Ben Affleck.

Link (http://slate.msn.com/id/111638/)

Yet for some reason I still think I've heard this song recently like in an Infiniti or Mercedes ad. I'm obsessed.

mickill
03-21-2005, 04:10 PM
I know what you mean. I think I've seen an ad that uses the song, as well. I don't think they used the vocals. Can't remember much about it, though.

I don't think I've ever seen that Coke ad, but it sounds pretty ridiculous.

afronaut
03-21-2005, 04:12 PM
I was listening to that album the other day. Its not that amazing, asshole.

mickill
03-21-2005, 04:20 PM
I didn't say it was "amazing", know it all.

Go listen to your drag queen opus and continue supporting the pseudo neo faggotry movement, dickface.

afronaut
03-21-2005, 04:24 PM
im listening to Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford right now fuckface. and if thats gay, then i guess i'm a flaming faggot. go listen to your 112 albums.

abcdefz
03-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Rob Halford is gay, isn't he?

afronaut
03-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Rob Halford is gay, isn't he?
jesus christ, does captain obvious here have to ruin everything? god.

yeahwho
03-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I know what you mean. I think I've seen an ad that uses the song, as well. I don't think they used the vocals. Can't remember much about it, though.

I don't think I've ever seen that Coke ad, but it sounds pretty ridiculous.

It was a disaster (http://www.shadowculture.com/adman/review.html)

another noteworthy album,

Wall of Voodoo, what a great band and what a great name for a band. The album I'm speaking of is "Call of the West".

I dial it in and tune the station
They talk about the U.S. inflation
I understand just a little
No comprende, it's a riddle

PaddyBoy
03-21-2005, 05:47 PM
One band I have never seen mentioned around this here place is The Cooper Temple Clause (shit name), an English rock band. But not like your ordinary English rock band, if you know what I mean.

My buddy gave me their first album called "See This Through and Leave" a few years ago and I loved it. For some reason, it was the cd I listened to while going to sleep every night for a few months in a row, following from a long line of classics like Foo Fighters first one and The Bends by Radiohead. It was very edgy, cool stuff.

I haven't listened to their other stuff though. Anyone else listen to them?

The Notorious LOL
03-22-2005, 03:44 AM
A Constipated Monkey by Kurious

ms.peachy
03-22-2005, 04:56 AM
I'm hoping that this won't just become another 'everybody list their favorite obscure albums' thread. But feel free to recommend something that you think deserves some attention, that maybe doesn't come up very often in this forum.

The Cars, The Cars.

Solid power guitar pop r'n'r. (y) Every few months I pull it out and play it about a billion times.

abcdefz
03-22-2005, 08:52 AM
How funny. I just went through a The Cars phase a couple months ago.

I remember when that album came out. It was in my brother's cassette deck in his green Nova for probably the entire summer, unless he took it out to take it in the boat. (y)

abcdefz
03-22-2005, 08:53 AM
jesus christ, does captain obvious here have to ruin everything? god.

Not everything, Spanky. I leave you in peace with your Real Doll, don't I?

jabumbo
03-22-2005, 10:01 AM
The Cars, The Cars.

Solid power guitar pop r'n'r. (y) Every few months I pull it out and play it about a billion times.

i am the same way with that album. it will just strike me to listen to it, and it will get played several times before i switch it

mickill
03-23-2005, 02:20 AM
A Constipated Monkey by Kurious

When this first came out, I was sorta disappointed. I think that I was hoping for more songs like 'Walk Like A Duck' or something. In retrospect, it was a pretty solid album, though. 'Baby Bust It' and 'Top Notch' being the real highlights for me. 'But Nikole' and 'I'm Kurious'? Kinda gay.

The first Cars album is awesome. 'Just What I Needed' is my favorite song that I hate to admit is one of my favorite songs. Hard to believe it was their debut.

Sandinista!
03-23-2005, 02:30 AM
How in the heck is The Cars an album volk don't talk about? Now their Panorama album... there's one nobody seems to yap about.

Kid Presentable
03-23-2005, 12:24 PM
I'd like to mention New Kingdom 'Paradise don't come cheap'.

It's sloppy ass hip hop, both musically and lyrically and yet it comes off like Black Sabbath Gangstas on crack. It dropped in 96 on Gee Street and I don't hear many people speak of it, but it's pretty cool, if a little unconventional.
Evokes feelings of 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' on wax. Two twisted M.C's rhyming with the mics jammed in their faces, not heavy, just crazy...

I hope that doesn't read like an obscure entry, It's definitely one to look for y'all.

And Sandinista!, I challenge you, we ALL play YOUR game and listen to old shit, you step up and listen to something after '89(specifically this)..

abcdefz
03-23-2005, 12:43 PM
How in the heck is The Cars an album volk don't talk about? Now their Panorama album... there's one nobody seems to yap about.

...it was a pretty murky record, as I recall. I knew one girl who thought it was their best, and I couldn't fathom it.

Ocasek was a huge ELO fan, by the way.

megadeth
03-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Recently got into this folk/indie band called the Decemberists. Don't really know how big they are but I had never heard of them before. Maybe you all have. I think they released a new album yesterday, but this one Castaways & Cutouts really got my attention. A great band and a great record (y)

http://www.shakingthrough.net/images/music/decemberists_castaways_and_cutouts.jpg

abcdefz
03-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Rickie Lee Jones - Pirates

This was the one that really blew me away. Her first album got all the attention, and it was good stuff -- nice hipster singer/songer writer jazzy bluesy stuff -- but then she took her time, had a bit of a breakdown, and released Pirates about three years later. Whoa.

She managed to turn the musical kaliedescope up a notch without sounding affected, and the stuff was sheer aural poetry. She could summon up characters in just a couple of well-chosen words (everyone immediately knows who cunt-finger Louie is), and this record was one populated train you wanted to hop aboard, even though at times it was chilling and sad. Other times, it was bopping as all get out, though, and the whole time it was totally under Rickie's command. A glorious, glorious, overlooked masterpiece.

Pirates (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4781FD94CAC7E20C5903C40CCB269A329D456 F48150234558C08703499F1955E20EE9DAD2B3F96AB679AFFA 62A7500BD7C0EF54ECBC1B&sql=10:nbkmu3x5an8k)

ms.peachy
03-23-2005, 05:58 PM

Well, I don't know this Volk. Is he the same guy who invented the Swagen? In any case, I hadn't heard him mention it, so I brought it up.

HellofaSandwich
03-23-2005, 06:20 PM
The Decemberists are awesome.

I think we should talk more about Oingo Boingo. Definitely one of the most underrated bands, in my opinion. "Only A Lad", "Nothing To Fear", and "Good For Your Soul" are all essential new wave albums... their synthy stuff ("So-Lo", "Dead Man's Party", "Boi-Ngo") is pretty good too, but I have to admit that I have to be in the mood for it to appreciate it.

And "Farewell" is probably my favorite live album of all time.

yeahwho
03-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Cheap Trick,
Tonight
Greatest Hits
Budokan

Songs that amaze and entertain. I want you to want me.

Sandinista!
03-24-2005, 12:52 AM
I think we should talk more about Oingo Boingo. Definitely one of the most underrated bands, in my opinion. "Only A Lad", "Nothing To Fear", and "Good For Your Soul" are all essential new wave albums... their synthy stuff ("So-Lo", "Dead Man's Party", "Boi-Ngo") is pretty good too, but I have to admit that I have to be in the mood for it to appreciate it.

And "Farewell" is probably my favorite live album of all time.

Touché. The kids nowadays fail to get enough Oingo Boingo.

And Sandinista!, I challenge you, we ALL play YOUR game and listen to old shit, you step up and listen to something after '89(specifically this)..

I got an idea: NO.

ms.peachy
03-24-2005, 05:23 AM
Touché. The kids nowadays fail to get enough Oingo Boingo.

True. But there's no denying that they're certainly getting an earful of Danny Elfman, whether they realise it or not.

cookiepuss
03-24-2005, 12:27 PM
I would also like to mention "Walking Wounded" by Everything but the girl. great vocals, good song writing, cool beats.

abcdefz
03-24-2005, 01:27 PM
True. But there's no denying that they're certainly getting an earful of Danny Elfman, whether they realise it or not.

...he just did some movie where the director told him he didn't want a "Danny Elfman" score... I can't remember what that was, but the music was good.

afronaut
03-24-2005, 01:27 PM
I got an idea: NO.

I have an idea*