PDA

View Full Version : Beasties Smash Pumpkins...

MC Moot
03-22-2005, 09:39 AM
"The only band I wouldn’t want to follow with my band would have been the Clash....oh,yes and the Beastie Boys never follow the beastie Boys..." Bono

Just a funny little memory I had last night, back to when the 3 were touring with Lollapalooza following the "Ill Communication" release. The Smashing Pumpkins were at the height of their success supporting "Siamese Dream" and Billy Corgan insisted that they fill the "headline" spot on the tour. He insisted upon this demand because he thought his band didn’t come across very well at festivals and not at all during daylight.
So,on a blazing summer day The Beasties took the stage at dusk and slammed out a set that was simply impossible to follow. It was the first appearance of A.W.O.L,Bobo and Money Mark (all together) as band members that I had seen. They were switching instruments and swapping turn tables...it was...well...it was an all out attack.
The set finishes, it’s night, Pumpkins take the stage...within 3 songs the grounds flood lights came on and from my vantage point, and Billy Corgan's all you could see were thousands of people leaving....just streaming out of the grounds....wow....yep...Corgan had a hissy fit, berated his band and the sound techs, played a short, terrible set and stormed off.

Moral of the story be careful what ya want ya might just get it!

Anyone else see this tour or witness the Boys crush other acts by being so damn fine?

Laver1969
03-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Yes...I remember this very well.

I went to the Dallas Lolla show in August of 1994. I was one of the many thousands that left after the Beasties set. It was incredible.

Most recently in October 2005, at the Voodoo Fest in New Orleans, Green Day was supposed to go on after the Beasties. Green Day said that the Beasties deserved to play last and headline the event. So at the very last minute the Beasties and Green Day switched places in the days schedule.

Laver1969
03-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Here's what I posted in another thread. It's kind of the opposite effect.

"I just thought of another interesting story. This was during the November 1992 New Orleans show. Henry Rollins played just before the Beasties. He owned the energy in the State Palace Theater. His set went on forever. They ended up doing three encores and completely drained the crowd.

By the time the Beasties came out the crowd was a bit flat. The crowd came back to life for the Beasties encore which I believe was Skills and SWW."

paulb
03-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Did Bono really say that quote? and what year did he say that... 1987? i could see him saying that... im sure a U2/Bboy tour would be excellent... jk

YoungRemy
03-22-2005, 12:15 PM

Most recently in October 2005, at the Voodoo Fest in New Orleans, Green Day was supposed to go on after the Beasties. Green Day said that the Beasties deserved to play last and headline the event. So at the very last minute the Beasties and Green Day switched places in the days schedule.

that tells alot about Green Day, giving the Beastie Boys the headlining act. I remember scrambling to get close to the floor, i had to sit through the entire Green Day show, but they played with alot of energy and it was worth waiting for the big finale... that was an amazing concert...

still ill
03-22-2005, 12:43 PM
I remember that Lalaoplazzoa tour also. The same happened here in New York at randalls Island, the whole crowd started to leave right after the beasties set. The boys ripped it up, I'm glad the pumpkins went on last beacuse one of the coolest things about that day was the beasties started their performance during the day and it ended at nightfall with sabotage I believe....I will never forget it

MC Moot
03-22-2005, 02:07 PM

I went to the Dallas Lolla show in August of 1994. I was one of the many thousands that left after the Beasties set. It was incredible.

That's cool,actually Green Day opened the main stage on that Lolla P tour and were really quite good,I remember them asking the crowd for weed,very funny!

As for Henry Rollins, I only ever saw him musically with Black Flag and outside of the intensity, I sort of thought they sucked wind.He's spoken word schtick is worth the price of admission even if his books are luke warm.

Cheers! (y)

MC Moot
03-22-2005, 02:11 PM
I remember that Lalaoplazzoa tour also. The same happened here in New York at randalls Island, the whole crowd started to leave right after the beasties set. The boys ripped it up, I'm glad the pumpkins went on last beacuse one of the coolest things about that day was the beasties started their performance during the day and it ended at nightfall with sabotage I believe....I will never forget it

Nice! the Beasties in New York,I can only imagine!
say,do you remember the back drop of the 3 headed dragon? I've been searching for that image for ever,I took pictures with a disposable camera,which I had to hold above my head while trying to remain on my feet....good times,but I lost the damn pictures,that back drop is prime t-shirt material if i can ever find it! :)

MC Moot
03-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Did Bono really say that quote? and what year did he say that... 1987? i could see him saying that... im sure a U2/Bboy tour would be excellent... jk

Yep, he really did say it,it's in the glossy, freakin 40 dollar,tour book/magazine that was sold on "All You Can't Leave Behind Tour"

dave790
03-22-2005, 02:21 PM
I really like threads like this, I was only like 4 around when this type of shit happened and I also love hearing other musicians give props to the Beasties...fair play Bono!

RobMoney
03-22-2005, 03:34 PM
I remember this tour at RFK park in Philly. Beasties blew up the shit just as everyone explains it,....mass exodous ensued,...but I was a huge Pumpkins fan as well, and still am,

....make no mistake about it,...there was still more than half the crowd still there. I'm glad I stayed because Courtney Love appeared on stage in the middle of the Pumpkins set and performed a few Hole songs. It was her first live appearence after Cobain's "Suicide". It was only a few months after. She was wacked out, and this was still when Hole and Courtney Love were relevant to the music world. It was an incredible show. She got pissed because she got half her clothes torn off when she crowd surfed.

RobMoney
03-22-2005, 03:43 PM
im sure a U2/Bboy tour would be excellent... jk

Actually I saw U2 back when they toured for the Joshua Tree album......1988-89 ish I think? I was actually blown away and became a huge fan after that show. Back when they used to actually not be soo damn full of themselves and had something to talk about in their music.

They sold out JFK stadium in Philly which was a 100,000 seat stadium. Now a days acts can't even sell out a 20,000 seat stadium. (unfortunetly, this includes the Beasties)......ahhh the golden age of concerts.

You have no idea what the feeling of 100,000 people singing along to U2's "40" is like,.....and unfortunetly we probably never will again.

Parkey
03-22-2005, 04:10 PM
They sold out JFK stadium in Philly which was a 100,000 seat stadium. Now a days acts can't even sell out a 20,000 seat stadium. (unfortunetly, this includes the Beasties)......ahhh the golden age of concerts.

You have no idea what the feeling of 100,000 people singing along to U2's "40" is like,.....and unfortunetly we probably never will again.

You need to come over here in the summer then! You'll get plenty of 100,000+ crowds at concerts (y)

MC Moot
03-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Back when they used to actually not be soo damn full of themselves and had something to talk about in their music.

I've seen them every tour since the Joshua Tree and will see them again this year in Vancouver,likely for the last time (Larry's health). As for them being "full of themselves" I kinda hear you,they seemed to slip up some time back with the mass marketing/pre advance ticket sale scam for the "Popmart" tour. "Where we come from taking care of business is whats cool..." Bono The I-pod campaign is a bit much, so flagrant,but then again they make no apologies. ("you won't see me in the advertising" MCA) However the causes they affiliate themselves with always impress me e.g: Amnesty International,Greenpeace,Jubilee 2000,Drop the Debt,Dr's Without Borders,International Red Cross and of course their support of T.F.Concert........I so hear you about "40" though,seriously,shivers down da spine everytime I see them live! Personally, I think they peaked musically during the Achtung Baby/Zooroopa/Pop phase of their career....

"Love and peace or else!" (y)

RhythmAce
03-22-2005, 04:57 PM
I remember this tour at RFK park in Philly. Beasties blew up the shit just as everyone explains it,....mass exodous ensued,...but I was a huge Pumpkins fan as well, and still am,

....make no mistake about it,...there was still more than half the crowd still there. I'm glad I stayed because Courtney Love appeared on stage in the middle of the Pumpkins set and performed a few Hole songs. It was her first live appearence after Cobain's "Suicide". It was only a few months after. She was wacked out, and this was still when Hole and Courtney Love were relevant to the music world. It was an incredible show. She got pissed because she got half her clothes torn off when she crowd surfed.

I was also at this show, but to backup the point of this thread, when the beasties played I couldn't get anywhere near the stage and lost all my friends in half a song. By the time they ended, I was against the stage for love (who I thought sucked playing acoustic hole) and pumpkins (who I actually like alot and have seen plenty even though they are accused of sucking live). You could walk to the front of the stage, thousands of poeple left right after the last beasties song it ruled

dogenstyle
03-25-2005, 02:59 PM
I saw the lollipalooza show in Indianapolis, IN and the same thing happened there as well. The beasties were unbelievable!!! Best show I have ever seen. Then the pumpkins came out they just sucked live. This is coming from a guy, who at the time, found the pumpkins to be his favorite band behind the beasties. I left after like 4 songs. Corgan sounds horrible live. Even though it was still daylight out(it seems as though people don't pay as much attention to the shows during the day and are more into the festivities of partying during the day-just my opinion), when the beasties flew onto the stage, the crowd was just sucked it. It was the only time I have ever seen 25,000 people jump up and down with unison for two hours. They are tighter live now, but the energy they brought when they were in there 20's was unstoppable.

skinnee soldier
03-26-2005, 11:28 AM
The B-Boys and Green day have some interesting history in their relationship. Didnt Green Day loose their dressing room privileges on that lolapalloza tour after partying too hard with the Beastie Boys? I remember hearing something about that. And then they played that MTV awards show with the rotating stage - Green Day played first and then the floor rotated and the Boys played Sabatoge in suits. Anyone else remember this stuff?

MC Moot
03-26-2005, 11:42 AM
I saw the lollipalooza show in Indianapolis, IN and the same thing happened there as well. The beasties were unbelievable!!! Best show I have ever seen. Then the pumpkins came out they just sucked live.......

This thread has become pretty interesting as the phenomenon seems to have repeated itself from city to city,state to state and indeed country to country...

I saw the lollapalooza tour in Cloverdale just outside of Vancouver, British Columbia,Canada...

"I saw the lollipalooza show in Indianapolis, IN..."
"I remember this tour at RFK park in Philly."
"The same happened here in New York at randalls Island..."
"I went to the Dallas Lolla show in August of 1994..."

Tough to be a Pumpkin that tour...geez :)

dave790
03-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Anyone else see this tour or witness the Boys crush other acts by being so damn fine?

This is somewhat stretching it a bit, but back in 98 (when I was 8) the Beasties were headlining Reading Festival. It's been well documented what went on with the Prodigy. Anyways I knew who the Beasties were and that but didn't properly get into them till I was around 10 (so a couple of years later), but due to my brother I was a big Prodigy fan and still am to this day.

Due to the little argument, I distinctly remember Maxim from the Prodigy saying shit like 'Ooo get ready for the 3 white boy americans...' ect and generally taking the piss and along with Howlett making it clear that nobody tells the Produgy what to do. To say they were trying to turn the crowd against the Beasties may be a bit injustice, but they were kinda treading water.

Being young and Keith Flint mad I found it all kinda cool, and to be honest having seen the Prodigy (who themselves are hard to follow) I was happy for the evening, but stuck around with my brother for the Beasties.

I remember several thingsfrom that evening. Firstly the amount of people who suddenly showed up in thousands just to see the Beasties, and realized the crowd was more packed than it had been for the Prodigy. The part of the story I loved is that from my memory the Beasties barely mentioned the Prodigy at all...in fact they didn't. They simply put on a sublime show and let their music do the talking, and the crowd seemed entirely uneffected by the Prodigy and were going crazy for most of the show.

I don't think the Beasties can ever be messed with!

MC Moot
03-28-2005, 11:00 AM
This is somewhat stretching it a bit, but back in 98 (when I was 8) the Beasties were headlining Reading Festival.

They simply put on a sublime show and let their music do the talking, and the crowd seemed entirely uneffected by the Prodigy and were going crazy for most of the show.

I don't think the Beasties can ever be messed with!

Nice,I guess one could say the Beasties "Smacked The Prodigy Up" so to speak! :D

jusme1072
03-28-2005, 11:40 AM
the exact(sp?) same thing happened at the lollapolooza here. but corigan totally yelled at the crowd. i can't remember exactly what he said, but it was along the lines of "yeah, now that the pop band is done it's time for all the children to leave." my friends and i just laughed and left, along with half of the audience.

oh also was at voodoo, very nice move by green day. made me very proud of them.

Praying Mantis
03-28-2005, 11:59 AM
That's exactly what happened at Lolla in Philly in 94. I was actually working the event for Spectacor and my responsibility was backstage. It was sweet. However, when the Boys came on I was in front of the stage in teh pit area. Once they finished rocking, literally it was like a mass exodus with thousands of fans leaving. I was never a pumpkins fan anyway so I thought it was funny. Just goes to show who the true headliner was!!!

Bobtwi
03-28-2005, 12:03 PM
This thread has become pretty interesting as the phenomenon seems to have repeated itself from city to city,state to state and indeed country to country...

I saw the lollapalooza tour in Cloverdale just outside of Vancouver, British Columbia,Canada...

"I saw the lollipalooza show in Indianapolis, IN..."
"I remember this tour at RFK park in Philly."
"The same happened here in New York at randalls Island..."
"I went to the Dallas Lolla show in August of 1994..."

Tough to be a Pumpkin that tour...geez :)
Yep.I was at the Philly show.I just remember it being an Incredible show.I believe Tribe was on this tour and George Clinton with the P-Funk Parliment.A long day/night of great music that ended for me(and pretty much everyone else)once the Boys did a Sabatoge encore.I remember finding a big piece of cardboard laying it down like a blanket and trying to catch a nap waiting for my friends while the Pumkins were playing with Cortney Love.Nobody cared they were on.

MC Moot
03-28-2005, 01:14 PM
the exact(sp?) same thing happened at the lollapolooza here.... my friends and i just laughed and left, along with half of the audience.

So is that Denver thats added to da list? This is great!
:)

MC Moot
03-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Yep.I was at the Philly show.I just remember it being an Incredible show.I believe Tribe was on this tour and George Clinton with the P-Funk Parliment...

Damn!The Tribe wasn't on the Northern swing of Lollapalooza that year neither was George C and Parliament...however both those acts were in Vancouver on the Nasty tour,proving with patience, what goes around you may just see in the round,so to speak.... (y)

Bobtwi
03-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Damn!The Tribe wasn't on the Northern swing of Lollapalooza that year neither was George C and Parliament...however both those acts were in Vancouver on the Nasty tour,proving with patience, what goes around you may just see in the round,so to speak.... (y)
You got me wondering if I was getting old and combing shows I've seen over the years.However I did my research and I was correct.Through my research I discovered you can get shirts from that tour still.I googled lollapalooza 1994 bandlist.On page one the first item is Rare records:clothing.Tie tyed shirts are awsome.I might order one.

MC Moot
03-28-2005, 03:12 PM
You got me wondering if I was getting old and combing shows I've seen over the years.However I did my research and I was correct...

ELUSIVE THREE HEADED DRAGON LOLLAPALOOZA BACKDROP ALERT!
I feel the same way quite frequently...ginkobilaboginsengnotkickin...Serious ly though if you ever hear or see of an image for the backdrop the 3 played in front of that tour...well...I'm really wanting grab it! Remember that backdrop?

NoI'mClarence
03-28-2005, 03:21 PM
"The only band I wouldn’t want to follow with my band would have been the Clash....oh,yes and the Beastie Boys never follow the beastie Boys..." Bono

Just a funny little memory I had last night, back to when the 3 were touring with Lollapalooza following the "Ill Communication" release. The Smashing Pumpkins were at the height of their success supporting "Siamese Dream" and Billy Corgan insisted that they fill the "headline" spot on the tour. He insisted upon this demand because he thought his band didn’t come across very well at festivals and not at all during daylight.
So,on a blazing summer day The Beasties took the stage at dusk and slammed out a set that was simply impossible to follow. It was the first appearance of A.W.O.L,Bobo and Money Mark (all together) as band members that I had seen. They were switching instruments and swapping turn tables...it was...well...it was an all out attack.
The set finishes, it’s night, Pumpkins take the stage...within 3 songs the grounds flood lights came on and from my vantage point, and Billy Corgan's all you could see were thousands of people leaving....just streaming out of the grounds....wow....yep...Corgan had a hissy fit, berated his band and the sound techs, played a short, terrible set and stormed off.

Moral of the story be careful what ya want ya might just get it!

Damn i gotta save this story so that i can prove my U2 and Rush obsessed friend that the Beastie are really as freakin awesome as i say they are! Especially since Bono said that!

Bobtwi
03-28-2005, 03:21 PM
ELUSIVE THREE HEADED DRAGON LOLLAPALOOZA BACKDROP ALERT!
I feel the same way quite frequently...ginkobilaboginsengnotkickin...Serious ly though if you ever hear or see of an image for the backdrop the 3 played in front of that tour...well...I'm really wanting grab it! Remember that backdrop?
Yes I do remember.If I come across anything I'll let ya know.

jusme1072
03-28-2005, 03:22 PM
So is that Denver thats added to da list? This is great!
:)

defintately add us to the list of amused and persecuted beastie fans! i can't believe they did the whole tour bitching like that. i wonder why they didn't just get sick of it and quite! i wonder if there were any conversations back stage. :rolleyes:

MC Moot
03-31-2005, 11:02 AM
defintately add us to the list of amused and persecuted beastie fans! i can't believe they did the whole tour bitching like that. i wonder why they didn't just get sick of it and quite! i wonder if there were any conversations back stage. :rolleyes:

Right on, I do remember Darcy from the Pumpkins speaking to the fact that they felt isolated and shunned somewhat do to different lifestyles.The Pumpkins did'nt get off the bus or wake up til late day (can't help when 1/2 the band was on smack)while the Beasties set up a outdoor b- ball cout everyday and were having tournaments with everyone from Green Day to some of the guys from Pavement...although in fairness the first thing AdRock said (screamed at the top of lungs) between songs was "there was this barrel of ice and beer,and things happened and then their was a guerilla we hit with the bus....we're sorry uncle freddie!!!"
he was really quite drunk....missed his cue a couple of times and cracked up a bunch more....did'nt effect the end result of the show,just made it interesting as hell....
:D

MC Moot
03-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Yes I do remember.If I come across anything I'll let ya know.

Much apprecitaed...the way the sun set behind it at at my venue...illuminated 3 headed dragon with the blood orange sun behind it...wow...had nothing to do with the acid...just funin,thanx