PDA

View Full Version : Hole-Celebrity Skin

intergalactic
03-24-2005, 03:52 AM
Well I only really checked it out, as i heard that Billy Corgan cowrote five tracks of the album. I was so impressed with this album, Ive been listening to it solidly for a couple of days and im liking it more and more. It can be very melodic and the lyrics are pretty cool too.

What you guys think?

Rosie Cotton
03-24-2005, 04:30 AM
I really like that album. Courtney Love is one messed up bitch, but Hole was an excellent band.

RT400z
03-24-2005, 04:50 AM
Yeah I liked some of Hole's music. Whenever I hear some of their songs it's hard to imagine the lyrics and music come from Courtney Love.

FloorK
03-24-2005, 06:31 AM
I think that it's a great album, 'Live Through This' isn't bad also. From Celebrity Skin I absolutely love the song 'Dying'.

mickill
03-24-2005, 10:11 AM
There's a lot of catchy stuff on that album. I know it didn't really offer anything new, and that it's more pop than rock, but it's quite solid.

ms.peachy
03-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Yeah I liked some of Hole's music. Whenever I hear some of their songs it's hard to imagine the lyrics and music come from Courtney Love.

I have to wonder sometimes if Courtney gets such a bad rap is down to the fact that she's a chick. I'm not saying she's not messed up - good god, she is WAY messed up - but it seems like people come down harder on her because she doesn't fit our ideas of how a woman - especially a mother - should behave.

I mean, look at all of the really fucked up male musicians who have had serious drug problems, and yet made incredible music. But nobody says "Gosh I can't believe they made such great tunes."

RT400z
03-25-2005, 05:31 AM
I don't really care if she is a woman or not. She can't be that great of a person if she chooses drugs over her kid. That goes for Kurt Cobain, too. Even Courtney said herself that drugs are self indulgent.

ms.peachy
03-25-2005, 06:28 AM
I don't really care if she is a woman or not. She can't be that great of a person if she chooses drugs over her kid. That goes for Kurt Cobain, too. Even Courtney said herself that drugs are self indulgent.

No one's claiming that she's a good person, only that she's made some great music.

Lots of artists throughout history have been complete assholes.

aenema
03-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Love was dating Corgan at the time, thus the influence.

'Dying' and the title track are probably the strongest tracks, but I do think that 'Live Through This' was a better album.

RT400z
03-26-2005, 03:35 AM
No one's claiming that she's a good person, only that she's made some great music.

Lots of artists throughout history have been complete assholes.

Actually, the music someone makes somewhat represents them and it's suprising that some of those songs come from a very self indulgent fucked up person.

Rosie Cotton
03-26-2005, 04:40 AM
Love was dating Corgan at the time, thus the influence
No, they dated in the early nineties. They were together just before she hooked up with Kurt, and from what I understand, it was because of Billy that she met Kurt. I could be wrong about that one though. Billy's been dating a photographer named Yelena Yemchuck(?) since he and his ex-wife split up in 1996.

Good god, I can't belive I actually remember all that. :(

intergalactic
03-26-2005, 04:59 AM
No, they dated in the early nineties. They were together just before she hooked up with Kurt, and from what I understand, it was because of Billy that she met Kurt. I could be wrong about that one though. Billy's been dating a photographer named Yelena Yemchuck(?) since he and his ex-wife split up in 1996.

Good god, I can't belive I actually remember all that. :(

Why the hell did she not have a child with either of them- well maybe she has i havn't heard, but it would be one mega talented kid. Or, at least be some messed up teen in the public eye falling out of bars, shooting drugs and doing supermodels.

I agree its hard to believe that anything on that album came from her- but oh, i think she is an incredible lead for a band

Matt
03-26-2005, 05:08 AM
ummm, Kurt and Cortney had a daughter. and dispite the circumstances, she's pretty well-adjusted.

Rosie Cotton
03-26-2005, 05:09 AM
Why the hell did she not have a child with either of them
She did......Frances Bean Cobain. She is thirteen now I believe.

I wish Courtney would clean up her act. At one point she was almost as cool as Shirley Manson. :(

RT400z
03-26-2005, 06:07 AM
I agree its hard to believe that anything on that album came from her- but oh, i think she is an incredible lead for a band

Yeah, I do agree she is a great lead for a band. I maybe don't like her, but I can recognize that she has one of the best female voices in rock. I noticed that a lot of the female singers in rock today don't yell as much as the guys and that is something Courtney does in a lot of her music.

intergalactic
03-26-2005, 07:06 AM
She did......Frances Bean Cobain. She is thirteen now I believe.

I wish Courtney would clean up her act. At one point she was almost as cool as Shirley Manson. :(

Would a clean living Courtney necessarily be a cool thing?

Rosie Cotton
03-26-2005, 07:14 AM
Would a clean living Courtney necessarily be a cool thing?
Not really, because she's always been a train wreck. But there's a difference between the Live Through This era and her current legal woes and her unfortunate cat lady plastic surgery.

adrockmelanie
03-26-2005, 12:44 PM
i've always hated courtney love. and i have no desire to hear any of her shit.

ProfJIM
03-26-2005, 12:51 PM

aenema
03-26-2005, 12:56 PM
No, they dated in the early nineties. They were together just before she hooked up with Kurt, and from what I understand, it was because of Billy that she met Kurt.(
Really? I read that in this book somewhere, hrm, not that it matters so much.

Oh and I knew this thread would turn around to Love's drug problems :rolleyes:

Yeah, I do agree she is a great lead for a band. I maybe don't like her, but I can recognize that she has one of the best female voices in rock. I noticed that a lot of the female singers in rock today don't yell as much as the guys and that is something Courtney does in a lot of her music.
Have you ever heard of a band called The Distillers? Brody Dalle (vocals/guitar) is often comapred to Love vocally.

ms.peachy
03-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Actually, the music someone makes somewhat represents them and it's suprising that some of those songs come from a very self indulgent fucked up person.

Well, I don't disagree with you. But my point was that someone being really fucked up is not neccessarily a barrier to being creative. Look at Brian Wilson. Or Van Gogh. Sift through history, heaven knows there are enough examples.

Sandinista!
03-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Hey, let's take that loud, drunk Grunge-hag and mix her growling with that pretentious bald prick's pansy music... its as if the 1990s have spawned yet another horrible musical bastardization and have thrown onto our era.

Two thumbs down (n) (n) (n)

intergalactic
03-26-2005, 07:16 PM
Hey, let's take that loud, drunk Grunge-hag and mix her growling with that pretentious bald prick's pansy music... its as if the 1990s have spawned yet another horrible musical bastardization and have thrown onto our era.

God if you were here, i would take off my shoe and slowly beat you to death, while explaining to you why Billy Corgan is infact a genius and Courtney Love is also exceptionaly talented lead vocalist.

Re-think your ideas!

Sandinista!
03-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Right, because opuses like "Retard Girl" and "Tonight Tonight" constitute magnificent music prowess :rolleyes:

Rosie Cotton
03-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Okay, I can put up with most of your "everything after 89 is shit" spiel most of the time. But insulting the genius that is Billy Corgan is completely unacceptable. :mad:

Sandinista!
03-27-2005, 01:31 AM
But insulting the genius that is Billy Corgan is completely unacceptable. :mad:

Bald tart who makes self-indulgent pansy art crap (n)

Documad
03-27-2005, 01:49 AM
I agree. Except that I do like the title cut for some crazy reason. :o

Knuckles
03-27-2005, 02:10 AM

do you mean three thumbs down?

Sandinista!
03-27-2005, 02:41 AM
do you mean three thumbs down?

Five, actually.

intergalactic
03-27-2005, 06:27 AM
Okay, I can put up with most of your "everything after 89 is shit" spiel most of the time. But insulting the genius that is Billy Corgan is completely unacceptable. :mad:

Tottaly! (y)