PDA

View Full Version : Faces

abcdefz
03-26-2005, 01:54 PM
...anybody out there into the Faces or the Small Faces? I only know them from a couple of Rod Stewart's solo albums, but I got a good deal on the ....five guys walk into a bar boxed set, so I jumped on it. The song samples sounded really good, and I'm pretty darned excited about this purchase.

It should arrive Monday or Tuesday. (y)

Documad
03-26-2005, 09:19 PM
All the old magazines talked about them like they were the second coming. I often wondered how much that had to do with them being "nice blokes" and how much was their music. I've always been curious, so I'll be waiting for your review.

I enjoy old Rod Stewart but I only have bits and pieces. Didn't Lester Bangs say something like never has so great a talent been so utterly wasted?

I have the record Ronnie Laine made with Pete Townsend and it was very nice.

Los Para Noias
03-27-2005, 10:05 AM
I've got the last small faces album (or the first faces album), it's ok but really nothing amazing.

abcdefz
03-27-2005, 11:32 AM
All the old magazines talked about them like they were the second coming. I often wondered how much that had to do with them being "nice blokes" and how much was their music. I've always been curious, so I'll be waiting for your review.

I enjoy old Rod Stewart but I only have bits and pieces. Didn't Lester Bangs say something like never has so great a talent been so utterly wasted?

I have the record Ronnie Laine made with Pete Townsend and it was very nice.

Rough Mix = good rekkid

Lester Bangs or Dave Marsh said that about Rod Stewart, and it's pretty true. I think people who love rock felt kind of betrayed, because his old stuff was so good (The Rod Stewart Album, Every Picture Tells a Story) and then it wasn't like he sort of dribbled off and became less essential -- when the guy decided he wanted to become a rock hag, he just threw himself into it with utter abandon and no apologies. Maybe that is rock and roll after all (going just for the money and women and drugs without guilt) but, man, did he start to suck. How could someone aspire to be a hack? Well, if it means worldwide fame and tons of money -- yeah, I'll write stupid.

Los Para Noias -- you have First Step?

Los Para Noias
03-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Rough Mix = good rekkid

Lester Bangs or Dave Marsh said that about Rod Stewart, and it's pretty true. I think people who love rock felt kind of betrayed, because his old stuff was so good (The Rod Stewart Album, Every Picture Tells a Story) and then it wasn't like he sort of dribbled off and became less essential -- when the guy decided he wanted to become a rock hag, he just threw himself into it with utter abandon and no apologies. Maybe that is rock and roll after all (going just for the money and women and drugs without guilt) but, man, did he start to suck. How could someone aspire to be a hack? Well, if it means worldwide fame and tons of money -- yeah, I'll write stupid.

Los Para Noias -- you have First Step?

Yeah, that's it. I really like the first song, but the album loses my interest quick. "First I was a stone" is a catchy one though.

abcdefz
03-30-2005, 10:38 AM
...well, I've listened to three of the four discs once through, so this pie hole has a pretty unconsidered, offhand opinion:

This could really grow on me, but I think it'll become trading fodder. The stuff has a great feel to it, and I love that part, but the songs, by and large, aren't very striking. This is sort of like a rawer, looser Little Feat or The Band (or, in a way, Cheap Trick), but without the direction except just to make music. All well and good, but I can only hum a couple of the songs (and they're covers or songs I knew already) and they don't seem to matter all that much.

Hopefully, this stuff will start to sink in when I have a mini-van again (CD player in there) and I'm listening to it in the sun and wind instead of just in the office, but as of now, I'm satisfied to know what the fuss was about, but disappointed that it wasn't something more.

B-.

Documad
03-30-2005, 05:16 PM
I wonder if you had to be there. Maybe you had to see them live. :confused:

HEIRESS
03-30-2005, 05:54 PM
"autumn stone" is the grestest song

I have a couple of their cheap crappy OMG BEST OF CDs

abcdefz
04-01-2005, 02:30 PM
...well, I'm still spinning this set. It's really growing on me.

We're up to a B+ now. :D

Ferdinand_2
07-17-2005, 11:55 AM
I think they are gooder than The Who(Or better)

Medellia
07-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah, Small Faces are excellent. Robert Plant gets all the attention Steve Marriott deserved.