PDA

View Full Version : Adrock the DJ?

SuckerMC
04-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Ok, on finger lickin good, is Adrock on the turntables??
"My brother Adrock, cutting it up on the turntables"

That would explain why he doesn't rap in the song

P.S. if this has already been a thread i apologise :o

b-girl74
04-28-2005, 05:57 PM
You now, I was wondering about that 2... ;)

Well, Im guessing he was the dj for finger lickin good, but Im not sure. :D

Chicka B
04-28-2005, 06:00 PM
That's what I thought. :confused: If so he's a good dj. (y)

b-girl74
04-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Yes yes, very good! :D Dare I say... better than MMM? Nah, just kidding, MMM is da bomb! ;)

SuckerMC
04-28-2005, 06:52 PM
its a great song!! and the scratching is prime! kudos if it is Adrock! KUDOS!

Beastie Girl
04-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Sometimes in songs he is referred to as "DJ Adrock" eg. in Intergalactic: "I'm a lumberjack DJ Adrock"

Brother McDuff
04-28-2005, 07:44 PM
There actually was a thread circulating recently about the DJ'ing on PB, CYH, and IC. I think the thread was called "Hurricane Participation". Anywho, I think the general consensus (which coincides with my own assumptions) was that the Beasties did most, if not all scratches on these albums. I'm almost positive that it is Adrock on the tables for that and I do know for a fact that Yauch is the one spinning on Jimi James. We should make a note that if Yauch ever returns to the boards to make it a priority to clear this mystery, for I feel it is a particularly significant piece of information to know about these albums.

Laver1969
04-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Also...does Horovitz do the "beatboxing" on Get on the Mic on PB?

Beastie Girl
04-28-2005, 10:22 PM

Yeah, that's a great question! (y) And if not, who is it?

discopants
04-29-2005, 02:49 AM

I always assumed it was Mike D.
I love Finger Lickin Good, just thought it needed saying.

Junker
04-29-2005, 06:17 AM

I think so.
Thats my reasons to believe that: When MCA is rapping you can hear the beatbox. But when AdRock raps the beabox suddenly stops.
Well....I assume that is Adrock who is beatboxing.

Sir SkratchaLot
04-29-2005, 06:36 AM
Adrock has been a DJ since way back in the early 80s. If you look at old photos you'll see him DJing at LL Cool J's birthday party and shit like that. Those cuts on finger licking good are called "chirps". They were made famous by DJs like Jazzy Jeff. They call them chirps because it sounds like a bird. Adrock has more of that smooth, rythm scratch Philly style.

MCA also does some scratching. For instance, he does the cuts on Jimmy James. Mostly transform stuff on that cut. Very Terminator X like. Or has he puts it "I've got the terminator style with a touch of the tweak, Technic 1200s I'm known to freak". Hehe.

Mike D and MCA also did a radio show in Europe around the time Hello Nasty came out where they did some mixing and scratching. Not sure Mike really has the interest in it that Adrock or MCA have.

For the record, Mix Master Mike slaughters all of these motherfuckers when it comes to strait techniques. Its fun to listen to Hello Nasty and figure out which scratches are Adrock and which ones are Mike.

DthatsME
04-29-2005, 06:44 AM
Adrock has been a DJ since way back in the early 80s. If you look at old photos you'll see him DJing at LL Cool J's birthday party and shit like that. Those cuts on finger licking good are called "chirps". They were made famous by DJs like Jazzy Jeff. They call them chirps because it sounds like a bird. Adrock has more of that smooth, rythm scratch Philly style.

MCA also does some scratching. For instance, he does the cuts on Jimmy James. Mostly transform stuff on that cut. Very Terminator X like. Or has he puts it "I've got the terminator style with a touch of the tweak, Technic 1200s I'm known to freak". Hehe.

Mike D and MCA also did a radio show in Europe around the time Hello Nasty came out where they did some mixing and scratching. Not sure Mike really has the interest in it that Adrock or MCA have.

For the record, Mix Master Mike slaughters all of these motherfuckers when it comes to strait techniques. Its fun to listen to Hello Nasty and figure out which scratches are Adrock and which ones are Mike.

^ He knows

alexandra
04-29-2005, 08:57 AM
indeed he does. thanks for the knowledge, sir.

Brother McDuff
04-30-2005, 04:48 PM
indeed he does. thanks for the knowledge, sir.

Word up to that.
(y)

timmie
04-30-2005, 08:25 PM
In 98/99 on radio one (UK) radio, mca & Mike D were live on air on the decks mixing which was pretty good! for about an hour, I'll have to dig out that casette & put to cd! but I've not heard ad-rock.

Extra Cheese
04-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Sometimes in songs he is referred to as "DJ Adrock" eg. in Intergalactic: "I'm a lumberjack DJ Adrock"

i think thats the only song where he is referrred to as dj adrock

zorra_chiflada
05-01-2005, 12:02 AM

i always thought it was, and so does everyone else, but i read somewhere that they sampled it from somewhere else. i'm not sure.

gaselite
05-01-2005, 08:24 AM
yeah, also on the vid for 3MCs and 1 DJ, if you go to DJ cam, you can see him fiddling with the deck at the start for a bit, he looks as though he knows what he's doing :P

Shazam_21
05-02-2005, 08:26 AM
In 98/99 on radio one (UK) radio, mca & Mike D were live on air on the decks mixing which was pretty good! for about an hour, I'll have to dig out that casette & put to cd! but I've not heard ad-rock.
timmie, wot show was that on and what kind of stuff did they play?

Elusive
05-02-2005, 07:34 PM
i think thats the only song where he is referrred to as dj adrock

I always thought he was saying....

"I'm a lumberjack DJ"

you know, lumberjacks, chopping, cutting, blah blah.
I didn't think he was calling himself DJ adrock.
who knows...
who cares

laurie_hammy
05-03-2005, 11:35 PM
yeah, also on the vid for 3MCs and 1 DJ, if you go to DJ cam, you can see him fiddling with the deck at the start for a bit, he looks as though he knows what he's doing :P

Yeah true iv noticed that

MCA126
05-04-2005, 04:53 AM
yup its definetly him...hes a really talanted dj :)

steve-onpoint
05-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Ok, on finger lickin good, is Adrock on the turntables??
"My brother Adrock, cutting it up on the turntables"

That would explain why he doesn't rap in the song

P.S. if this has already been a thread i apologise :o

if you listen closely during the hooks... you can kinda make out Adrock yellin' something. man, i went to sleep with headphones listening to that record so many moons.

and then i woke up and put in the Goats 'Wake and Bake' as i got dressed for school. "Wake UP!"

God, how I miss that era of hip-hop music.

timmie
05-05-2005, 03:04 PM
mca & miked came to the uk, london about 98ish to promote Hello Nasty!! the were on the decks just mixing anything that they could get there hands on! On radio one, Jo Whiley show!

steve-onpoint
05-05-2005, 03:49 PM
mca & miked came to the uk, london about 98ish to promote Hello Nasty!! the were on the decks just mixing anything that they could get there hands on! On radio one, Jo Whiley show!

from what i understand... a lot of the scratching on the older b-boy records was done by the boys themselves. i'm pretty sure the Hurra did the live shows. but i could be incorrect. :o