PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to NYC and Capital Records

Justin
04-30-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey, I was just curious if any of you took the time to mail, call, or email capital records and ask "WHY in the hell didnt you release open letter to nyc as a single in the USA along with the video"?

I think it would be the more popular song off of to the 5 boroughs to the common people out there.

Laver1969
04-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah. There was a thread a while ago where Yauch popped in. He said we could write to someone over at Capitol and complain.

dave790
05-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Hey, I was just curious if any of you took the time to mail, call, or email capital records and ask "WHY in the hell didnt you release open letter to nyc as a single in the USA along with the video"?

I think it would be the more popular song off of to the 5 boroughs to the common people out there.

There's a couple of points you've raised now which I was thinking. To be honest, and no doisrespect, I think to an extent Capitol have been a tad not-a-great-label a times. Don't get me wrong, the Beasties have got it far better than loadsa people, but as much as I enjoyed seeing An Open Letter To NYC over here, it would have done far better in the US. I mean it's a song for New York, i'm sure lotsa Britons get what it's on about but to alot of Americans and New Yorkers it could have meant a lot more, and maybe have been a massive hit.

Also Right Right Now Now would have done well over here, it's something that say Radio 1 would have really gone for. To me though there's other things, like how about Triple Trouble? I can't see how putting out the excellent video and promo's in the summer and then releasing it in September is a good move...it's clearly got a summer feel to it!

Rich Cheney
05-01-2005, 01:16 PM
It's really not that great of a song. For example:

We're doing fine on the 1 and 9 line
On the L, we're doing swell?

C'mon it's like Van Gogh painting by numbers.

YoungRemy
05-01-2005, 01:23 PM
what the song lacks in rhyme schematics is made up for with Pure Heart...

dave790
05-02-2005, 11:52 AM

in your opinion. swell rhymes with 'l', i've heard much worse rhyming couplets, at the end of the day that tune is for the boys more than anyone, but i can't deny i think it's one of their greatest songs to date. still, interesting...

Rock
05-02-2005, 12:11 PM

Word. That line makes me cringe everytime I hear it. The music is good, the hook is catchy...but that one line almost ruins the song for me....and many others.

Rich Cheney
05-02-2005, 12:51 PM
what the song lacks in rhyme schematics is made up for with Pure Heart...

William Hung has heart.

While we're on the topic the bass line irks me also.. ba...bum...bump........ba..bum..bump......
Def not one of my top 10 faves.

Now Oh Word that's Beastie caliber.

Mr. Juice
05-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Whoa,

You're not feeling the "1 and 9 line" rhyme?

Are you serious? I happen to think it's pure Beastie genius (and the delivery--c'mon)! Everytime I have taken the 1, 9, or L train since I heard the song, it's been impossible NOT to recite that lyric. Same thing when I'm on the L.I.E. or B.Q.E.

Ooh, you just wait until I get on that #10 bus...

V.I.M.

NathanWind
05-02-2005, 01:51 PM
I stand by my word that Adrock is not a good rapper on that one...

dave790
05-02-2005, 02:04 PM
i couldn't agree less. they're all on top of their game in that joint. the l.i.e. verse is delivered soundly, as well as all the other raps in that tune.

i'm open to people's opinions, but i find dislike of an open letter bizarre.

Justin
05-02-2005, 06:59 PM
I stand by my word that Adrock is not a good rapper on that one...

he's awesome on that song! The album version is great, but you should hear some live versions. OH MY!

Dr Sputnik Phd
05-06-2005, 12:10 PM

Here's my theory as to why it wasn't released as a single...

there's just too many refrences to shops and companies in new york. If capitol records wanted to have it released, they would have had to have the song cleared with all the refrences. That's why on NBA Street V3 they've had to blank out half the lyrics. But they could release it in the UK as its a different country. Anyway thats what i think.

Justin
05-06-2005, 07:19 PM

there's just too many refrences to shops and companies in new york. If capitol records wanted to have it released, they would have had to have the song cleared with all the refrences. That's why on NBA Street V3 they've had to blank out half the lyrics. But they could release it in the UK as its a different country. Anyway thats what i think.

You may be right, I know Yauch was asked the question (maybe on here even) and he said "you would have to ask them (capital)

Sucks the band had no input

Laver1969
05-06-2005, 07:57 PM

You don't have to "clear" references. And all of the samples were "cleared" because they were "released" on the album.

I'll try and dig up the old info...if my memory serves me correctly, Yauch agreed with someone's theory.

Laver1969
05-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Here's the stuff I found. Yauch quoted Mcmac.

Originally Posted by Mcmac
"i tihnk i see wats goin on

they have realeased right right now now video in america and realeased an open letter to NYC video in england

so they realease different shit in different countrys"

And this is what Yauch said,
"precisely. The US record company wanted ?right now? and the rec co in the rest of the world wanted ?open letter.? so that is what they got.

good sleuthing there. top notch! top drawer!"

Adrock421
05-06-2005, 11:48 PM
That was a good line! Not their best I'll grant you but catchy and tunefull none-the-less. Certainly not a song-ruiner....

rlwelch
05-07-2005, 09:41 AM
The real highlight of that song is the dark, bass-driven, thump-thu-thuh-thump beat behind it. The rapping is a bonus - their higher-pitched, New-York accents add texture to it. The lyrics are passable, but that's not why you listen to it. It's the whole sound that counts.

Dr Sputnik Phd
05-07-2005, 12:42 PM
You don't have to "clear" references. And all of the samples were "cleared" because they were "released" on the album.

Why do they blank them on NBA street then?

steve-onpoint
07-25-2006, 12:16 PM
I happen to think it's pure Beastie genius (and the delivery--c'mon)! Everytime I have taken the 1, 9, or L train since I heard the song, it's been impossible NOT to recite that lyric.

It seems like the L is down everytime I go to New York anymore. It used to be a simple hop, skip and a so on from the A,C, and E to the L. What's the deal? And it seems like all my friends in Brooklyn are S.O.L. when that happens. It cost me more $ to take a car across the Williamsburg Bridge the other day than it did to get to NYC from Philly. Sheesh.

acamus
07-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Since I obviously don't have the inside track and so don't know what the hell is going on, I kept thinking that they were just being punk about it. It seems like all the better promotion is going on over seas from the album to AIFST. The UK got a lot of attention in particular.

laurie_hammy
07-25-2006, 11:48 PM

I like that part. I love how he pauses then speeds it back up. Its talent. Adrock talent ;)

chechina
07-26-2006, 02:50 PM
I really like that song a lot, musically, especially the intro.

And whether or not you care for the song, the video was the best clip off of Tt5B. It should have gotten airplay.