PDA

View Full Version : Alright, Hear This!

biscuits311
05-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Sorry if this is a re-post and dont get offended, but I have some questions and some theories. I was just talking to my girlfriend about how great the beasties are and their albums. And I made a realization that one reason why the albums are so great is that even though the songs don't necessarily rhythmically flow together, they are ordered in such a way that can be referred to as no less than genius. I'm not saying this to flatter them or anything, its just a fact that they are ordered in such a way that is more beneficial to the listener to listen all the way through an album than just listen to one song. Every time I listen to the beastie boys I go through the whole album instead of picking songs that I like. On their newest album, this is not the case. All of the songs are done by mixmaster mike and they all flow fairly the same way, rather than in diverse ways that allow evolution through the album. My question is this: does anyone know if they are planning on keeping mm mike as their main dj?
I definitly like mm mike and what he does, but i do not think he needs to dj every song. even mario c didnt dj every song. however, mario c has a much more diverse style and i think that it is not something that the boys should get rid of. their past albums have incorporated many musicians and mario c (who works well with putting these musicians together and making it all happen). also, they didn't do any songs where they played their own instruments. this is something else that i am hoping they will bring back. these aspects are what make the beastie boys different from any other hip hop group. it shows that they actually have an appreciation for music and know what they are doing when they write songs. on the new album, it just seems like the music (not the lyrics) has been dumbed down.
i am really just hoping that the 5 burroughs was just put out mainly for political reasons and they will get back to what they do soon enough. i did like the album, however. these are just some observations that i think should be taken into consideration. but i know this is just a random thread that will never get read, so why am i posting this anyway?

biscuits311
05-02-2005, 09:32 PM
by the way, this is not my first post... i just havn't posted in a long time and i forgot my username. :D

Laver1969
05-02-2005, 09:38 PM
All of the songs are done by mixmaster mike and they all flow fairly the same way, rather than in diverse ways that allow evolution through the album.

MMM didn't "do" any of the songs. The Beasties produced this album themselves.

biscuits311
05-03-2005, 12:43 AM
I am kind of confused on what producing actually is... I know the guys actually pick what they want to use, no question about it, so obviously it was what they wanted on the album. and it is their album and they get to do what they think is best. i personally love the album, but just think that it has just taken a completly different rout from where i thought they were headed. however, i am assuming that MMM created and/or compiled all of the beats and music that the boys chose from. this is kind of what i meant and the fact that there didn't seem to be much colaboration outside of the 4 of them. just curious, how were the other albums produced? i'm sure the boys had a hand in it, but were they all just produced by a colaboration of key people? and then the newest album was just by them? again, don't get me wrong, i love the new album... i just noticed the differences previously stated from the other albums.

dave790
05-03-2005, 01:49 AM
I am kind of confused on what producing actually is... I know the guys actually pick what they want to use, no question about it, so obviously it was what they wanted on the album. and it is their album and they get to do what they think is best. i personally love the album, but just think that it has just taken a completly different rout from where i thought they were headed. however, i am assuming that MMM created and/or compiled all of the beats and music that the boys chose from. this is kind of what i meant and the fact that there didn't seem to be much colaboration outside of the 4 of them. just curious, how were the other albums produced? i'm sure the boys had a hand in it, but were they all just produced by a colaboration of key people? and then the newest album was just by them? again, don't get me wrong, i love the new album... i just noticed the differences previously stated from the other albums.

the beasties, to my knowledge, wrote and produced the record themselves. mix master mike brought a little extra to the tracks, but the beasties have been making beats, loops and choosing samples on all their records. on right right now now for instance, i'm pretty sure mix master's input is the scratching part alone, not the beats or song structure or anything like that.

the beasties worked on tt5b themselves for a while and then got mmm to do some tricks :)

biscuits311
05-03-2005, 09:55 AM
wow, i didnt know that. so pretty much they just did the whole album themselves... compared to what they have done before, that is pretty impressive. that in itself shows that they care about the musicality of their records. that is definitely good to know.

personally, i still think that by colaborating with others like they did on their previous 3 albums, the music comes out as more diverse which was a pleasing aspect of those albums. its not that they are better or anything, they were just more diverse. i personally prefer the diversity and it just kind of gives me a good feeling that they work with so many people to make such great music. still, i love tt5b :)

dave790
05-03-2005, 11:50 AM
wow, i didnt know that. so pretty much they just did the whole album themselves... compared to what they have done before, that is pretty impressive. that in itself shows that they care about the musicality of their records. that is definitely good to know.

personally, i still think that by colaborating with others like they did on their previous 3 albums, the music comes out as more diverse which was a pleasing aspect of those albums. its not that they are better or anything, they were just more diverse. i personally prefer the diversity and it just kind of gives me a good feeling that they work with so many people to make such great music. still, i love tt5b :)

yeah, i see what your saying. mario c was always about with the tape rolling and suggesting idea's (again to my knowledge) like 'why don't you try it like that instead?'...i.e. what a producer should do. but since licensed onwards they've always co-produced their work...it varies from track to track, but the beasties have easily had the most input into all their records, aside from maybe the first two. really not 100% though so if anyone wants to correct me feel free to.

and with TT5B it's what they set out to do, i'm always kool with whatever the beasties want!