PDA

View Full Version : Yes Yes Ya'll...And You Don't Stop

Laver1969
05-03-2005, 09:36 AM
I was listening to Backspin which is the satallite old school rap radio station. And heard a group called Common Sense with their song, I Used To Love H.E.R.

And they used the, "Yes Yes Ya'll...And You Don't Stop"

Who came first? The Beasties with Posse in Effect or Common Sense?

biscuits311
05-03-2005, 09:59 AM
From the info I found, Common's album came out in 1997 (which really isn't that old skool). It's called "Reserection." so the b-boys were definitely first.

Laver1969
05-03-2005, 10:13 AM
From the info I found, Common's album came out in 1997 (which really isn't that old skool). It's called "Reserection." so the b-boys were definitely first.

Yeah...I did a quick search and saw two different albums. One was a "remix/remaking". But I didn't see a date with the original recording. Thanks. (y)

YoungRemy
05-03-2005, 10:15 AM

common sense
Resurrection (1994)

ScarySquirrel
05-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Hip-hop had been around for a while before the Beasties came along, I'm willing to bet that someone else had said that phrase way before they did.

CiaoBellaXO
05-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Common came first...

I used to love her..good song.

Rock
05-03-2005, 10:44 AM
I heard Kool Herc stated the whole "Yes Yes Y'all." as a transition from one phrase to another.

DeLaO
05-03-2005, 01:44 PM
A song by Total Devastation samples the Yes Yes Ya'll too. It's a song called Hemp Rally.

Laver1969
05-03-2005, 02:27 PM
A song by Total Devastation samples the Yes Yes Ya'll too. It's a song called Hemp Rally.

I know quite a few folks have used the "yes yes ya'll" and other have used "and you don't stop"....but the Beasties were the first I know of to put them together.

And it looks like Common did come out until the 90s.

dirtydan11
05-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Common Sense was Common's first group. Now he just goes by Common. Chicago's best.
After reading this embarrassing thread I knew I had to read you the news.

Laver1969
05-03-2005, 02:49 PM
I had to read you the news.

Where's the news?

When was Common Sense formed? When did he change to just Common? When was the song released?

wavin_goodbye
05-03-2005, 03:04 PM
I know quite a few folks have used the "yes yes ya'll" and other have used "and you don't stop"....but the Beasties were the first I know of to put them together.

And it looks like Common did come out until the 90s.

i could be wrong.. but i think KRS-ONE has done that too.. (after beasties though)

Sir SkratchaLot
05-03-2005, 03:18 PM
"yes yes y'all" and "ya don't stop" have been around since the 70s. They're like party chants. Its like "everybody in the house say Hoooooo" or "here's a little story" or "dip dip dive". The Beasties are just doing the same shit that's been done since the 70s. There are probably hundreds of hip hop songs that use those phrases, and before recorded records there where thousands of parties where MCs used that chant. Nothing new, nothing new. The Beasties definately weren't first. And its not like Common is "copying" the Beasties. Its that they are both referencing early hip hop. They're both copying some dude from back in 1977 that nobody knows anymore. You never know, maybe Egotrip has info on who coined that phrase but it definately was not the beasties.

Half of what the Beasties say is a throwback to something else. Its not a bad thing, its just hip hop. Dropping references and whatnot.

I pulled this from here http://www.funk-the-system.net/hiphopearlydays.html
"In the early days rappers flowed on the mic continously for hours at a time..non stop. Most of the rhymes were pre-written but it was a cardinal sin to recite off a piece of paper at a jam. The early rappers started off just giving shout outs and chants and later incorporated small limricks. Later the rhymes became more elaborate, with choruses like 'Yes Yes Y'all, Or 'One Two Y'all To The Beat Y'all being used whenever an emcee needed to gather his wind or think of new rhymes. Most emcess rhymed on a four count as opposed to some of the complex patterns one hears today."

cj hood
05-03-2005, 06:48 PM
remember Common's line on de la's record......"at one point in time i thought i lost my connection, but then i got it back with the Resurrection".........and that track you referring to his cool.....it's Common spittin about how he loves hiphop like a women........good ish!!!

Laver1969
05-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Half of what the Beasties say is a throwback to something else. Its not a bad thing, its just hip hop. Dropping references and whatnot.

Yes...since I've gotten this satellite old school rap radio station...i'm really getting schooled. (y)

djc1980
05-03-2005, 07:51 PM
remember Common's line on de la's record......"at one point in time i thought i lost my connection, but then i got it back with the Resurrection".........and that track you referring to his cool.....it's Common spittin about how he loves hiphop like a women........good ish!!!
the bizness on de la soul stakes is high album is awesome

dirtydan11
05-03-2005, 08:12 PM
"yes yes y'all" and "ya don't stop" have been around since the 70s. They're like party chants. Its like "everybody in the house say Hoooooo" or "here's a little story" or "dip dip dive". The Beasties are just doing the same shit that's been done since the 70s. There are probably hundreds of hip hop songs that use those phrases, and before recorded records there where thousands of parties where MCs used that chant. Nothing new, nothing new. The Beasties definately weren't first. And its not like Common is "copying" the Beasties. Its that they are both referencing early hip hop. They're both copying some dude from back in 1977 that nobody knows anymore. You never know, maybe Egotrip has info on who coined that phrase but it definately was not the beasties.

I pulled this from here http://www.funk-the-system.net/hiphopearlydays.html
"In the early days rappers flowed on the mic continously for hours at a time..non stop. Most of the rhymes were pre-written but it was a cardinal sin to recite off a piece of paper at a jam. The early rappers started off just giving shout outs and chants and later incorporated small limricks. Later the rhymes became more elaborate, with choruses like 'Yes Yes Y'all, Or 'One Two Y'all To The Beat Y'all being used whenever an emcee needed to gather his wind or think of new rhymes. Most emcess rhymed on a four count as opposed to some of the complex patterns one hears today."

now you read us the news :eek: