PDA

View Full Version : Root Down Sample from the Pageant

nukeawhale
05-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Does anyone know the name of the sample Mix Master Mike used during Root Down in a few shows during the Pageant? An example is from the Vancouver show, right when the B-Boys begin "the weave."

Also, for Atlanta Braves fans, it's the same song they played last year after a homerun. This year it's some horrible Montgomery Gentry piece of crap.

My wife asked me this the other day after listening to a few songs from the Pageant Tour. Being the dumbass I am, I did not know the answer. Upon being cognizant of my ignorance, she immediately began to question my status of a B-Boys fan. She then proceeded to humiliate me, verbally abusing me with the name calling, chiding, joshing, and the like. She even relegated the title of "Biggest Beastie Boys Fan of the House" to our cat. That one stung. House rules say that I can't regain the title until I am able to successfully answer her question. As the cat surreptitiously received the title, he is refusing to answer. Being that he is neither right nor wrong, his title remains. Needless to say, my ego isn't in the best shape after all this.

I'm sure this is a really popular song like the Macarena or something, but I've been told on numerous occasions that "I'm not 'with it' anymore," so I need help with this one.

Laver1969
05-05-2005, 07:57 PM
I believe it's called Apache. Try doing a couple of searches on here and you can probably get some more info. :)

mcamuto
05-05-2005, 11:35 PM
I believe it's called Apache. Try doing a couple of searches on here and you can probably get some more info. :)

You are beyond correct. The song is Apache and the Band is the Incredible Bongo Band. I forgot the album name but the single is always floating around on re-release. Its one of the most famous if not the most famous b-boy breaks out there. If you listen to to the whole song you will recognize some may breaks used in tons of songs.

I believe MMM uses the 'Gamblin Petes Breaks' album when he uses the apache sample. I saw him pull it out of his crate at solo shows when he has dropped it.

Peace

Pootytang
05-06-2005, 12:19 AM
To my understanding, paulb does an amazing finger pointing dance to that song. I have never seen it but I have heard plenty about it. :p

nukeawhale
05-06-2005, 05:52 AM

Very nice. Thanks for the help.

I just hope the cat is home tonight so I can challenge him and regain the title.

pshabi
05-06-2005, 07:00 AM
I just downloaded that whole Incredible Bongo Band album (1974! Shit!) from the hub.

Some good shit right there. Tons of breakbeats.

You are beyond correct. The song is Apache and the Band is the Incredible Bongo Band. I forgot the album name but the single is always floating around on re-release. Its one of the most famous if not the most famous b-boy breaks out there. If you listen to to the whole song you will recognize some may breaks used in tons of songs.

I believe MMM uses the 'Gamblin Petes Breaks' album when he uses the apache sample. I saw him pull it out of his crate at solo shows when he has dropped it.

Peace

Aktuel
05-27-2005, 06:29 PM
There is an another version of Apache song, comes from The Shadows (?) repertoire. :)

Sir SkratchaLot
05-27-2005, 06:40 PM
There is an another version of Apache song, comes from The Shadows (?) repertoire. :)

Its another one of those famous breaks that's been used 100 times. Its one of the most widely used breaks ever. So people chop it up and alter it and do all types of stuff with it.

Taco Zip
05-28-2005, 03:18 AM

The shadows one is the original. It's from 1960.

A sample from the incredible bongo band version can be found here (http://www.bangbangrecords.com/description.asp?ID=56)

midzi
05-29-2005, 10:10 AM
If you want to hear the whole incredible bongo band version go here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=05O2ALO1)

(wait several seconds and then click on download button)