PDA

View Full Version : Paul's Boutique

Rich Cheney
05-05-2005, 06:50 PM
We know the shop did not exist in the LES despite the picture taken there.
Was there an actual Paul's Boutique in Brooklyn at the address mentioned in Ask for Janice Pt 2?

No theories please, there is an Internet out there full of them. Only the facts ma'am.

Laver1969
05-05-2005, 07:43 PM
In August of 1992 I visited some friends in NYC. I was determined to find the Paul's Boutique corner. While my NYC friends worked, I was on a mission. :)

While there, I tried calling information...but no luck.

Then my friend and I took one of the subways to Brooklyn. We found a Paulette's Boutique in the Brooklyn phonebook. :D

That night I studied the album cover and figured out what the street signs were. The next day I took a cab down there and it looked exactly like the album cover...except no PB sign.

There are a couple of pics I took at

http://www.sirdan.com/thepbc/

My pics are the second and third pics.

Chicka B
05-05-2005, 07:47 PM
^^^ oooh, awsome!!

Rich Cheney
05-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Laver - That's cool but it's not what I'm getting at.

Your photos show the mock Paul's Boutique in the lower east side of Manhattan.
Cheney's Ludlow and Rivington photo circa 92 (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-3/685338/Ludlow_Rivington.jpg)

My questions is... Was there a real Paul's Boutique in Brooklyn that the album was named after.? The exact address escapes me at the moment but I beleive it was Utica Ave.

Laver1969
05-05-2005, 08:32 PM
My questions is... Was there a real Paul's Boutique in Brooklyn that the album was named after.? The exact address escapes me at the moment but I beleive it was Utica Ave.

"Paul's Boutique is also an extended goof on Abbey Road, which was Paul McCartney's boutique - and like that record, it ambitiously stitches together song fragments in a way rarely seen before or since."

Rolling Stone December 11, 2003

I think the video clip that appeared on the Skills VHS tape came out after my trip to NYC or either I didn't have the info with me. But I could not find any evidence of an actual Paul's Boutique.

Rich Cheney
05-05-2005, 08:36 PM
"Paul's Boutique is also an extended goof on Abbey Road, which was Paul McCartney's boutique - and like that record, it ambitiously stitches together song fragments in a way rarely seen before or since."

Rolling Stone December 11, 2003

I think the video clip that appeared on the Skills VHS tape came out after my trip to NYC or either I didn't have the info with me. But I could not find any evidence of an actual Paul's Boutique.

Thanks man.. That was the quote I read that got me thinking about this (like I got nothing else better to do) Rolling Stone has no idea wtf they're talking about.