PDA

View Full Version : WHATS UP WITH MCA?

boys_beastie
05-08-2005, 03:17 PM
why is yauch always callin himself pray mantis? haha. i noticed him call himself pray mantis in two different songs today. one of them had something to do with tennis courts.

DISCO THREE

Brother McDuff
05-08-2005, 04:56 PM
I think that's what he calls his basketball style. I could be wrong though. It seems like he's always referring to that name when he's talkin' about ballin'.

"On the court I go by the name praying mantis,
got the edge, and I've got the advantage."

from "Shazam!"

"Praying Mantis On The Court And I Can't Be Beat
But Yo Tip What's Up With The Boots On Your Feet"

from "Get It Together"

boys_beastie
05-09-2005, 11:53 AM
(lb) makes sense since i listened to TTFB and ILL COMMUNICATION haha.

ye i knew he mentioned courts somewhere. nice one though ;)

MC Moot
05-09-2005, 02:46 PM
It's a style of Kung Fu! You can apply the discipline to anything. (y)

Slick Daddy
05-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Could someone describe mantis to me? Can't find the word in my dictionary :rolleyes:

MC Moot
05-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Could someone describe mantis to me? Can't find the word in my dictionary :rolleyes:
http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4th/kkhp/1insects/PrayMan.html

Rob Dogg
05-09-2005, 03:43 PM

I heard it was some form of sea creature, but I could be wrong.

steve-onpoint
05-09-2005, 04:52 PM
yes, MCA can turn into one. i saw him do it on a bootleg video.

SuckerMC
05-09-2005, 06:52 PM
it is about his basketball style, he obviously is pretty good

meniri mca
05-09-2005, 07:07 PM
It's a style of Kung Fu! You can apply the discipline to anything. (y)

that's right

pray mantis= prayer mantis( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

Chicka B
05-09-2005, 07:16 PM
A praying manitis is an ugly ass bug y'all. Well atleast I think. And those mother fuckers pinch. I think he's trying to say HE'LL PINCH YO MOTHA FUCKING ASS. :confused: I dunno. But I got pinched by one of those mother fuckers when I was 6 and it stinged like a mother fucker!! :p Seriously, I don't know why he calls himself that.

YoungRemy
05-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Praying Mantis is a northern Sill Lum (Shaolin) style of Kung Fu. It is also known as Tanglang Chuan or Tong Long. A variation is Seven Stars Mantis, a style of fighting named after the Chinese theory of heavenly constellations, empathizing continual movement and the changing of the angle of attack.
The initiator of this style was a martial arts fighter named Wong Long. It appears that after constantly being beaten in Chinese boxing matches with his fellow monks, despite his hard training, he finally retired to practise religious contemplation.

While sitting in a garden in a reflective mood, he observed two insects, one a praying mantis and the other a cicada that is a type of grasshopper, were locked in combat to the death. Wong Long's observations led him to realise that the mantis was fighting a definite pattern, even though the cicada was much bigger and heavier. From its two front limbs the mantis made lightening quick withdrawals, attacking first to the left and then to the right in a vigorous manner. Among the insect's various striking methods, there were attacks from outstretched limbs as well as from limbs slightly retracted. These movements confused the cicada, which eventually flew of soundly defeated.

Wong Long caught a mantis and took it home with him. For days Wong Long played with the insect, prodding it with a blade of grass to analyse its reactions. He particularly noted that it could hook its claw, in all directions. Wong Long then formulated a series of techniques based upon the mantis's mode of combat. Perfecting them over a number of years, he returned to the monastery ready to fight and beat monks there. The abbot was immensely impressed, and the new art was named after the insect that had inspired it.

The system employs two basic principles. The first is the grab. This is affected by shaping the hands to resemble that of a mantis's claw, with the index finger pointed forward. Pulling, to expose certain areas of the body follows grabbing. Then strikes are made to these vital points. Skilled pulling also ensures that the opponent is off balance. The second principle is what is known as 'monkey footwork', which does not, as the name implies, copy the footwork of a monkey, but rather imitates its speed and agility, while still giving the support and balance. The stances are short, with a quick sideways stepping motion.

Although both northern and southern Mantis schools use the name of Praying Mantis in their titles, the methods and fighting principles of the styles are quite different. Northern Mantis stresses long-range fighting tactics and also include a wide variety of kicks. Southern Mantis schools rely heavily upon in-fighting techniques delivered from close range with a more stable stance. Although kicks are seldom used, when they are, they are aimed at the groin or kneecaps.

Chicka B
05-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Wow, that really explains everything. Thanks YoungRemy. (y)

YoungRemy
05-09-2005, 08:13 PM
http://www.rochesterkungfu.com/images/wonglong2.jpg

laurie_hammy
05-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Praying Mantis is a northern Sill Lum (Shaolin) style of Kung Fu. It is also known as Tanglang Chuan or Tong Long. A variation is Seven Stars Mantis, a style of fighting named after the Chinese theory of heavenly constellations, empathizing continual movement and the changing of the angle of attack.
The initiator of this style was a martial arts fighter named Wong Long. It appears that after constantly being beaten in Chinese boxing matches with his fellow monks, despite his hard training, he finally retired to practise religious contemplation.

While sitting in a garden in a reflective mood, he observed two insects, one a praying mantis and the other a cicada that is a type of grasshopper, were locked in combat to the death. Wong Long's observations led him to realise that the mantis was fighting a definite pattern, even though the cicada was much bigger and heavier. From its two front limbs the mantis made lightening quick withdrawals, attacking first to the left and then to the right in a vigorous manner. Among the insect's various striking methods, there were attacks from outstretched limbs as well as from limbs slightly retracted. These movements confused the cicada, which eventually flew of soundly defeated.

Wong Long caught a mantis and took it home with him. For days Wong Long played with the insect, prodding it with a blade of grass to analyse its reactions. He particularly noted that it could hook its claw, in all directions. Wong Long then formulated a series of techniques based upon the mantis's mode of combat. Perfecting them over a number of years, he returned to the monastery ready to fight and beat monks there. The abbot was immensely impressed, and the new art was named after the insect that had inspired it.

The system employs two basic principles. The first is the grab. This is affected by shaping the hands to resemble that of a mantis's claw, with the index finger pointed forward. Pulling, to expose certain areas of the body follows grabbing. Then strikes are made to these vital points. Skilled pulling also ensures that the opponent is off balance. The second principle is what is known as 'monkey footwork', which does not, as the name implies, copy the footwork of a monkey, but rather imitates its speed and agility, while still giving the support and balance. The stances are short, with a quick sideways stepping motion.

Although both northern and southern Mantis schools use the name of Praying Mantis in their titles, the methods and fighting principles of the styles are quite different. Northern Mantis stresses long-range fighting tactics and also include a wide variety of kicks. Southern Mantis schools rely heavily upon in-fighting techniques delivered from close range with a more stable stance. Although kicks are seldom used, when they are, they are aimed at the groin or kneecaps.

hahaha thats so MCA style. Gotta love how the Beasties do the karate arms I love that stuff. Like on the 3 MC's video where mike goes DER.......DER-DER-DER, watch MCA when he does that, very robo/karate type moves its awsome, thanks for that YoungRemy and cool pic as well (y)

laurie_hammy
05-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Also on the 3rd scratch "DER" hahaha. Could someone plz get a screen shot of that, iv seen one before but cant find it, looks so nice Adrock is pointing mike has just scratched and his elbow is facing the decks MCA is doing the karate moves, and mike is standing tall about to rap I think

b-grrrlie
05-10-2005, 02:42 AM
Praying mantis (http://www.insecta-inspecta.com/mantids/praying/) is a type of grasshopper where female bites the male's head off after copulating.

boys_beastie
05-10-2005, 03:30 AM
yeh i knew it was an insect jsut wondering why he kept referring to his bball style as one. its explained now though. cheers all :) thinkin about them nasty bugs makes me cringe though. and cockroaches.

DISCO THREE