PDA

View Full Version : Did Ricky Powell have VD?

Jadge Fucking 1
05-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Or was he just a regular loser?

Pootytang
05-14-2005, 09:22 AM
I just spoke to his physician a moment ago and he said he couldn't answer that question due to the privacy act. :rolleyes:

cj hood
05-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Or was he just a regular loser?

ouch

Brooklyn Babe
05-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Not for nothing but Ricky aged pretty bad. I did'nt even recognize him in that MTV beastie boys documentary.

deathorglory
05-22-2005, 08:43 AM
its really a shame. all you new jacks will never really know. ricky was about the coolest person in that whole crew. All you kids would still be jocking him if he was still friends with the beasties. but they had to be soft little bitches and dis him.

deathorglory
05-22-2005, 09:39 AM
yeah, life really sucks when you enjoy listening to records, riding your bike, playing b-ball, spending time with your cat, shooting photos. Thats really a sad thing isnt it?

deathorglory
05-22-2005, 09:54 AM
I guess i don't know what you're talking about. sorry

pip07
05-22-2005, 09:57 AM
It's pretty sad when you're 40 years old and you're doing the same shit you did when you were 17 years old.

uhh, Yauch?

BGirl
05-22-2005, 10:00 AM
I downloaded Rappin' with the Rickster off the hub and watched it with hubby a couple weeks ago. We really enjoyed it. What a great bit of NYC/cultural history. (y)

The Boys are dissin him these days, huh?

deathorglory
05-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Rappin with the rickster was a classic show. it will be back on this fall. more professional, but same style. The new supertape dvd from upperplayground is fucking dope. nice to finally have that on dvd

Kid Presentable
05-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Shit, I thought Ricky had the MSG DVD!!!! :eek:

betaband
05-22-2005, 10:43 AM
right mate, can you fill us in? what happened between the beasties and ricky powell. i know that the beasties were left off of ricky's frozde moments book but whats the history there?

deathorglory
05-22-2005, 10:52 AM

betaband
05-22-2005, 10:58 AM
right mate. can you stop being vague? what was ricky seeing kathleen hanna and then adam stole her? whats the story

PaddyBoy
05-22-2005, 11:03 AM
right mate. can you stop being vague? what was ricky seeing kathleen hanna and then adam stole her? whats the story

Nothing specific I don't think, just the BBoys became PC and Ricky did not.

deathorglory
05-22-2005, 11:04 AM
exactly

cj hood
05-22-2005, 11:05 AM
powell's a cool cat.........he's what the beasties were......money'll put a stick up your ass.....

betaband
05-22-2005, 11:12 AM
i sometimes regret that the beastie boys lost the edge that they once had. ricky seems to have kept quite a bit of it. oh well, these things happen i guess. the Beasties got so fuckin big. its hard to have that kind of edge when your making music for the whole fuckin world. ricky can still walk down midtown manhattan and not worry bout getting people all in your face

Kid Presentable
05-22-2005, 11:48 AM
I agree on the whole Ricky Powell being what the Beasties were, and as much as it saddens me to admit it, you can hear it begin to change at the end of 'Transitions'.

I guess we all gotta grow, though...

cj hood
05-22-2005, 11:53 AM
btw.......ricky already has new shows shot......they'll be on in the fall.......he's gotta bunch of other stuff happen to....check his website....

www.rickypowell.com

deathorglory
05-22-2005, 12:10 PM
yup., the new book will be dope. I haven't seen the finished dvd supertape yet. i need to stop by his apt. next week and grab a copy

Documad
05-22-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm no expert, but whenever I've seen the stuff of his that was supposed to be funny, it wasn't. But there's no doubt he was once a big part of the scene.

Laver1969
05-22-2005, 12:13 PM
Here's a joke from Ricky's standup...circa 1992.

"Your mother's armpits are soooo hairy, it looks like she has Buckwheat in a head-lock."

I can appreciate Ricky's humor but I don't think he evolved with the Beasties.

Laver1969
05-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Has anyone picked up The Rickford Files? I've been toying with the idea of picking up a copy.

Any reviews?

Kid Presentable
05-22-2005, 12:17 PM

"Your mother's armpits are soooo hairy, it looks like she has Buckwheat in a head-lock."

I think it's fair to say the B-boys would have evolved no matter what. Ricky Powell is a ubiquitious piece of their past however, that doesn't need to be glossed over by the band in the same way PB is...

Laver1969
05-22-2005, 12:36 PM
I think it's fair to say the B-boys would have evolved no matter what. Ricky Powell is a ubiquitious piece of their past however, that doesn't need to be glossed over by the band in the same way PB is...

Have the Beasties glossed over Ricky's involvement with them? Did it all start when Ricky wanted to use some LTI photos for a gallery show or something?

I've never read any official comments by any of the Beasties or Ricky on the parting of ways.

I don't believe they've taken any shots at him like they do DefJam and Russell.

Documad
05-22-2005, 12:44 PM
I don't think the BBs have glossed over PB, have they? They do stuff from it live still. They even did Egg Man and Hello Brooklyn at shows I attended this tour. :D

Now, I'd give anything to hear Hey Ladies sometime, but I'm in the minority on that one. When the folks here ranked the songs on PB, I think that was the first song kicked off. And unfairly so. Damn you all! And Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun is probably my all-time fav, and they don't do that live, do they?

Yeah, I would have never thought that was funny. :D

dave790
05-22-2005, 03:32 PM
fuck all of the negative comments about the beasties changing or losing their cutting edge, they simply did what they wanted throughout their career. it wasn't, and has never been like, 'oh, we've been acting like sexist macho jerks for too long now lets show the world we've chnged...', it was about doing what they felt was right at the time

GrndMasterRemix
05-22-2005, 05:56 PM
cool

Kid Presentable
05-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Chill Dave, I'm glad they do what they feel is right.

As for Paul's, they could play more of it, they just won't.

S'all good but... (y)

cj hood
05-23-2005, 08:27 PM
powell's new book has 2 pix of mike d......so who's knows what the relationship is.,...

deathorglory
05-24-2005, 10:27 AM
CJ, are you referring to the retrospective book that hasnt dropped yet?