PDA

View Full Version : Beastie reference on Howard Stern show

BrooklynDown
05-25-2005, 09:07 AM
They were going over some list in the NY Daliy News concerning how much bands charge to appear at a private party like a Bar Mitzvah. The Beasties charge $500K to $600K to perform. I'm not sure how this is much different from selling a song for a TV ad, which Yauch says the Beasties would not do.

enree erzweglle
05-25-2005, 09:18 AM
They were going over some list in the NY Daliy News concerning how much bands charge to appear at a private party like a Bar Mitzvah. The Beasties charge $500K to $600K to perform. I'm not sure how this is much different from selling a song for a TV ad, which Yauch says the Beasties would not do.
It never occurred to me that they'd do this but I guess it makes sense.

Maybe we could all pitch in and have a BBMB affair. :D

boys_beastie
05-25-2005, 09:34 AM
im not sure i would want to do a private event like that if i were in thier position. but i would hope thats not how much they'd charge if they did.

Laver1969
05-25-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure how this is much different from selling a song for a TV ad, which Yauch says the Beasties would not do.

Hmmm...fees for performing and advertising products seem very different to me!

enree erzweglle
05-25-2005, 09:54 AM
im not sure i would want to do a private event like that if i were in thier position. but i would hope thats not how much they'd charge if they did.
I think I remember seeing an article about this sort of thing a year or so ago. The Stones charge much, much more than that. So it's not really too bad relatively speaking.

Laver1969
05-25-2005, 09:55 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/05-25-2005/entertainment/story/312603p-267428c.html

here's the story.

pshabi
05-25-2005, 10:03 AM

Getting paid to work. That is a novel idea.

Do me a favor, when you go into work today, tell 'em that you're flipping burgers for free.

YoungRemy
05-25-2005, 11:53 AM
yeah, what the discrepancy? they name a price based on their demand...

when you go and see them in concert, they still get paid the same amount.

alot of people still dont see the difference between selling a song for a jingle and promoting music through the radio, media, and performances...

isnt that what they are supposed to do? play their music, right??

when their music is heard in an NBA game, they get paid, but 20, 000 people just heard a segment of a Beastie Boys song, their music gets out there, people buy more records.

same thing on Tv spots, radio spots and so on....

this is simply the performing aspect of their job...

Bobtwi
05-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Wish I had 500,000 to spare.My sons birhtday is coming up and that would be a dope ass present.They could set up out back next to the pool.Im going to the bank for a loan.On a serious note,Artie Lang kinda dissed the Boys.He laughed when Robin threw their names out and asked how much they charged.

Chicka B
05-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Is that for real or were they just joking??? I don't see how it's a bad thing, they're making more money and making people happy, good for them. (y) Hey, I wonder how long they've been doing this for. I wish I was rich. :(

enree erzweglle
05-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Is that for real or were they just joking??? I don't see how it's a bad thing, they're making more money and making people happy, good for them. (y) Hey, I wonder how long they've been doing this for. I wish I was rich. :(
Besides, when you split it 3 or 4 ways and then consider expenses and set-up, it's not outrageous.

I'm officially putting this on my "if I won the lottery" list. If I did win (and I don't play the lottery) I'd hire them to do a show and then I'd invite you all to it.

Chicka B
05-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Besides, when you split it 3 or 4 ways and then consider expenses and set-up, it's not outrageous.

I'm officially putting this on my "if I won the lottery" list. If I did win (and I don't play the lottery) I'd hire them to do a show and then I'd invite you all to it.

Yep, if you divide 600,000 by 4 then it's 125,000. I guess not that bad, if I wasn't too poor and too young, I'd have to get permission from my parents. I could do some fun raiser thingie. :D Nah, I'll just go to their concerts. It'd be cool though. Oh, and would you really invite all of the people off the message boards, the ones that you like that is if you magically won the lottery without even playing? If so, I really hope you'll win the lottery. :rolleyes: My mom wastes alot of money playing that shit though, the most she ever won was 50 bucks. My dad gambles too, and he always says "I'll win next, trust me, I'm good." That's sad.

Brooklyn Babe
05-25-2005, 07:55 PM
this website has the going rates for a lot of performers
http://www.concertideas.com/

btw - in a recent issue of Blender 50 Cent said he'd play a Bar Mitzvah for $250,000

enree erzweglle
05-26-2005, 04:38 AM
Oh, and would you really invite all of the people off the message boards, the ones that you like that is if you magically won the lottery without even playing? If so, I really hope you'll win the lottery.
I don't play--occasionally my dad picks up a ticket for me. Old people love to play the lottery--you see long, long lines of them handing over big bucks for tickets. I feel bad when I see it because the odds aren't good that they'll win what they want to win.

Anyway, I sure would do book them & invite the board. I don't have many friends are are into the Beasties and what better way for us all to meet than through something like that. It would be great.

boys_beastie
05-26-2005, 05:22 AM
i guess, taking into account its not just the boys and mmm that would get paid. plus equipment setup and stuff. at first glance though, 500-600k seemed a lot.

Mcmac
05-26-2005, 05:36 AM
this is a disgrace!!!

you people will defend the boys no matter what...

i always thought that tt5b and everything since then wasn't for the money as they would have enough by then, but for the enjoyment of making music....this has completly proved me wrong.... (n) (n) (n) i would prefer that they would say no to all private partys than put a price on it...its not the bboy way (n)

enree erzweglle
05-26-2005, 06:42 AM
this is a disgrace!!!

you people will defend the boys no matter what...

i always thought that tt5b and everything since then wasn't for the money as they would have enough by then, but for the enjoyment of making music....this has completly proved me wrong.... (n) (n) (n) i would prefer that they would say no to all private partys than put a price on it...its not the bboy way (n)They might not have a choice in the matter. It might be part of the contract that they're under that if someone wants to hired them for a private affair, they have a price named. Who knows.

Besides, I don't blame them for wanting to make money doing the things they love.

If someone wanted to pay me $500K to edit a report for them in private, I'd sure as hell do it. :D

Lex Diamonds
05-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Don't be so naive.

If you were a musician you would not be prepared to travel across the country and perform for free. You need to earn a living. Remember the Beastie Boys don't have other jobs, the music is their main source of income.

Some of you act like 10 year olds. If someone offered you $500 grand to sing for a bit you wouldn't turn it down.

enree erzweglle
05-26-2005, 07:51 AM
Don't be so naive.

If you were a musician you would not be prepared to travel across the country and perform for free. You need to earn a living. Remember the Beastie Boys don't have other jobs, the music is their main source of income.

Some of you act like 10 year olds. If someone offered you $500 grand to sing for a bit you wouldn't turn it down.
(y)

Jurassic
05-26-2005, 08:12 AM
True, but that doesn't make 500-600 thousand a reasonable price. Lesser known acts also have to travel, bring equiptment, split between members etc, but they wouldn't even charge 10% of that ridicilous amount

nukeawhale
05-26-2005, 09:34 AM
If I had the money, I don't think I'd want to hire them out. There's a big difference between having a show in a packed venue (large or small) and out in somebody's yard.

When I was in college, Run-DMC came and had a show out on the intramural fields. The whole time it seemed like something was wrong with the scene.

I guess it would be cool to say they played at your house for some birthday party or family get-together, but I think there would be some weird "jump the shark" feeling as they kick it while Uncle Bert is on his eighth hot dog.

enree erzweglle
05-26-2005, 10:54 AM
I guess it would be cool to say they played at your house for some birthday party or family get-together, but I think there would be some weird "jump the shark" feeling as they kick it while Uncle Bert is on his eighth hot dog.
That's why you'd have to get a parade or park permit and do it outside, and invite everyone you know and everyone from here.

Make it your own private festival.

Because I agree the hot-dog bbq sort of backyard thing would too eerie.

Laver1969
05-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Just because there is a fee next to their name doesn't mean they would play. I think they ultimately have a say as to if the would play a particular function. I've never heard the Beasties playing a private function ever.

They've done appearances and performances on television/award shows...but i've never heard of a private function.

For TT5B there were a couple of "private shows". One in Atlanta and one in Chicago. They were radio promotions...i'm not sure if anyone got paid for them though.

steve-onpoint
05-28-2005, 03:45 PM

Do me a favor, when you go into work today, tell 'em that you're flipping burgers for free.

I can't afford to do that just now.

steve-onpoint
05-28-2005, 03:47 PM

haha

Loppfessor
05-30-2005, 01:19 PM

For musicians work is called a "gig"....

zorra_chiflada
05-31-2005, 07:02 AM
maybe they don't want to play in anyone's backyard for a private event, and that price is there so no-one would book them.

besides, i think it would give the band a kinda lame image playing at some kids birthday party for $100 bucks or something

MarkedCube
05-31-2005, 08:31 AM
For that kind of money, I wonder if they take requests or charge extra for tracks such as Fight for your Right.

phade1
05-31-2005, 09:31 AM
I don't see what the big F'n deal is. All bands charge money to play, they all have a going rate. It is an article written by someone else not the Beastie Boys themselves.

They never said they would play a private event and no one here can even say that they ever saw the Beastie Boys play a private event. It's just thier going rate.

I saw the Beastie Boys play a show for charity in Toronto at the Danforth Music Hall. The venue holds about 1500 they only put 800 tickets on sale and they money was donated to street youth in Toronto.

Was it wrong for Yauch to have Rancid play at his wedding? I think that would have been a pretty dope wedding.

Do you think all the bands that played at the Tibetian Freedom Concerts played for free? I don't think so. That is why most concerts even if thier for charity its always a percent of the ticket goes to the chartity, and the rest well people got to get paid. Bands, Venues, Techs, etc.

phade1
05-31-2005, 09:35 AM
Also, bands make alot of money from playing live shows, more than they get from selling albums after the record company takes most of it.

I'd rather see the Beastie Boys play a wedding then have them make money by hearing Sabotage in car commercial.

Or how about So Whatcha want in a buffet commercial?