PDA

View Full Version : Keep keepin on?

Kid Presentable
05-30-2005, 11:14 PM
With how long we waited for activity, how long the band has been around, how many people have given up on them, how abruptly the Five boroughs experience ended, how much money the band has, how interested they are in being 'Beastie Boys', how well the new album did, how long it may take for a new album, and how much you genuinely see yourself caring long-term all taken into consideration I ask this.

Is it a good time for them to call it quits?

20 plus years of making music, playing the role (no matter which role) for fans around the world, an ever diminishing work ethic.

Do you think the B-Boys could feasibly call it a day now?

zorra_chiflada
05-30-2005, 11:19 PM
With how long we waited for activity, how long the band has been around, how many people have given up on them, how abruptly the Five boroughs experience ended, how much money the band has, how interested they are in being 'Beastie Boys', how well the new album did, how long it may take for a new album, and how much you genuinely see yourself caring long-term all taken into consideration I ask this.

20 plus years of making music, playing the role (no matter which role) for fans around the world, an ever diminishing work ethic.

feasibly, yes they could if they wanted to.

but i don't think they are going to call it quits for another couple of years - i'm sure that they are going to give their fans closure.

for a band that has been so influential in the music scene for such a long time, they are still relatively young (agewise)

but if they announced their retirement now, i wouldn't hold it against them. good luck to them. (y)

dancin2beasties
05-30-2005, 11:30 PM
for a band that has been so influential in the music scene for such a long time, they are still relatively young (agewise)

verrry true. two of them are still in their thirties, right? that really isnt that old at all.

i dont think its time yet for them to call it quits, i dont know but it seems like they still have a lot left in them. didnt one of them say that they have enough songs laying around to make a whole album? they're concerts are still as great as ever and they seem like they still really enjoy what they're doing, so i dont see why they would quit now.

edit - also, when you said for how many people have given up on them, they've probably gained three times as many new fans with this album then they have lost with it, so i dont really think that'd be a reason for quitting..

midzi
05-30-2005, 11:36 PM
It's better to stop when they're still popular than fading into obscurity.

I really can't imagine them playing for the next 20 years.
I hope we'll never find out what it would be like. :rolleyes:

zorra_chiflada
05-30-2005, 11:37 PM
It's better to stop when they're still popular than fading into obscurity.

I really can't imagine them playing for the next 20 years.
I hope we'll never find out what it would be like. :rolleyes:

yeah, i think they're smart enough to know when to stop.

Chicka B
05-31-2005, 12:00 AM
I think they should keep on going until they feel uncomfortable with what they're doing, ya know. If they are 60 and they feel alright and want to put out more music and tour, I wouldn't mind, I would go to their shows for real. :cool: But if they are 60 and crippled and their mind is gone and they gots writers block and write bad lyrics and a bunch of shitty music then tour while breaking hips all over the place and sucking then they should quit. Right now though, they definatly shouldn't quit because they seem very comfortable and still like what they're doing and they still good. Also it would suck for their new fans like me, I havn't even got to go to their concert yet. :(

But anyway, I agree with zorra_chiflada and dancin2beasties. But I sort of agree with midzi, I don't want them to be like 80 years old and trying to rap then go sucking and embarrassing people. :rolleyes:

Kid Presentable
05-31-2005, 12:18 AM
I think they should keep on going until they feel uncomfortable with what they're doing, ya know. If they are 60 and they feel alright and want to put out more music and tour, I wouldn't mind, I would go to their shows for real. :cool: But if they are 60 and crippled and their mind is gone and they gots writers block and write bad lyrics and a bunch of shitty music then tour while breaking hips all over the place and sucking then they should quit. Right now though, they definatly shouldn't quit because they seem very comfortable and still like what they're doing and they still good. Also it would suck for their new fans like me, I havn't even got to go to their concert yet. :(

But anyway, I agree with zorra_chiflada and dancin2beasties. But I sort of agree with midzi, I don't want them to be like 80 years old and trying to rap then go sucking and embarrassing people. :rolleyes:

I don't want to play devil's advocate here, but plenty of people already have posted feelings about them making shitty music with bad lyrics, mostly in regards to anything that came out post 98, for some post 92.

I'm starting to lose interest man, I know I'm always on these fucking boards, but it helps with my writers block. CYH will always be my favourite album, I'm just having a hard time keeping perspective on exactly why I give a fuck anymore....

I loved TT5B, but part of me hoped it was like a part one, or something. Who knows, by the time a new album comes out I'll do a 180 and be glad to be a Beastie Boys fan. For now I'm partly in awe of guys who are reknowned for doing so little with a 20 year career, and partly infuriated that for musicians, they don't always seem so keen on music.

And anybody who wants to say I'm not a 'real fan', I probably been listening longer than you.....

Chicka B
05-31-2005, 12:57 AM
I don't want to play devil's advocate here, but plenty of people already have posted feelings about them making shitty music with bad lyrics, mostly in regards to anything that came out post 98, for some post 92.

I'm starting to lose interest man, I know I'm always on these fucking boards, but it helps with my writers block. CYH will always be my favourite album, I'm just having a hard time keeping perspective on exactly why I give a fuck anymore....

I loved TT5B, but part of me hoped it was like a part one, or something. Who knows, by the time a new album comes out I'll do a 180 and be glad to be a Beastie Boys fan. For now I'm partly in awe of guys who are reknowned for doing so little with a 20 year career, and partly infuriated that for musicians, they don't always seem so keen on music.

And anybody who wants to say I'm not a 'real fan', I probably been listening longer than you.....

I do hear a lot of people say TT5B is crap up on here, but that's either because politics, the songs were too short, or there was no instruments or variety but what are you gonna do ya know? It's suppose to be an all hip hop album, I personally like it. But I hear people talk shit about other albums to ya know? There's always gonna be somebody who doesn't like something, but I think they are doing this for fans who do like what they're doing. Do you think that you're losing interest because you ain't patient enough and you think they take to long to put out stuff, and you don't think they did that much the past 20+ years? Because just because there is 6 albums, you got to take into consideration that they did alot of other hard work and stuff like side things, and the dvds and they put on a hell of a show I heard. Also they take their time and work at their own pace so they don't rush things, and they have other things going on in their lives besides their work probably. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but I can't explain things very well unfortunatly. :o Anyway, what do you think the Beastie Boys should retire? Because I don't want them to, I like them still. :(

Mcmac
05-31-2005, 02:15 AM
usally artists pronounce there last album as there retirement album...i'm sure they will do one more album then quit and i hope they tell us when they quite because i don't wanna be having hope to something that aint gonna happen....one more album...please

dave790
05-31-2005, 04:49 AM
I'm 15 and I love the Beasties. Each record is gold to me, and I recently saw them live for the first time. I've heard various live preformances over the years though, and one thing that stciks out is that there most recent live experiances are to me, as good as any live shows they've ever done.

Plus you look at some of the real good tracks on the last record (e.g. Ch-Check It Out, Right Right Now Now, An Open Letter...ect) again, to me, these are tunes that are as good as if not better then anything they've done.

I'm a firm believer that the Beasties have always done what they want, which is one of the primary reasons I love them. If they truly feel they don't want to continue making music, I'd respect their decision, simply cos of all they've given me.

But I hope they don't. There's a love for music they all have there, and playing live, and now isn't the time to walk away from it. All this is a bit on inactivity, as far as I'm concerned they see the DVD as the next release and are working on that. I think it'll be a long time until they feel they can't, or no longer want to, continue making music, and i most definitely hope that's the case (y)

Kid Presentable
05-31-2005, 05:13 AM
Much respect all (y)

I chose the first option too....

icy manipulator
05-31-2005, 05:31 AM
it would be sad to see them go, but i'd understand if they did

Thundercracker
05-31-2005, 06:06 AM
seriously, what did you think were gonna be the results when you started this poll in the BBMB??

Kid Presentable
05-31-2005, 06:46 AM
seriously, what did you think were gonna be the results when you started this poll in the BBMB??

More objectivity than you could handle.

rlwelch
05-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Movin' on and on, movin' on and on, movin' on and on, movin' on and on.

Laver1969
05-31-2005, 04:40 PM
While they have changed and evolved over time...so has their music. The one constant is that they have a tremendous sense of humor. They have fun doing what they do.

As long as they have fun they should continue to make music if they want. I'll eat it up.

Chicka B
05-31-2005, 04:53 PM
^^^Yes. Well, it looks like nobody voted for them to stop so I guess they shouldn't. :p

timmie
05-31-2005, 04:59 PM
As above! just as Laver 1969 said!! The Beastie Boys are just so Organic! they will & I hope they do, still put out records when there in there 50's cause they do have so much fun doing what they do.

Even TT5B's is just totally amazing!!! plus they are still young & way ahead of there time,! but again it's up to them! They love there music too much just to quit! if they did quit, then I will have no band to follow!! No pioneers within the music industry to set examples, but I'm sure at some point there will be another group to set the standards.

I suppose the Beastie's are like the Beatles in a way! they will rock well into there 50's + 60's!!. Thats just me!

kll
05-31-2005, 05:19 PM
My boyfriend is a musician, songwriter, etc. and I can't imagine him ever giving up on creating music just because he got old and rich... It's what keeps him sane and what gets him through each day...

I would assume that the Beastie Boys, as musicians, are the same way... that they will always have their fingers in some sort of project, whether it be creating albums for themselves or whatever...

SchoolTrousers
05-31-2005, 05:23 PM
My boyfriend is a musician, songwriter, etc. and I can't imagine him ever giving up on creating music just because he got old and rich... It's what keeps him sane and what gets him through each day...

I would assume that the Beastie Boys, as musicians, are the same way... that they will always have their fingers in some sort of project, whether it be creating albums for themselves or whatever...

well said.

Fade2White
05-31-2005, 06:14 PM
exactly, the only thing that the beasties have dropped are a lot of the old vices that existed on earlier cds... the energy, creativity, and humor is all still there and for me, thats always been the reason i buy the cds and will buy the new ones

b-girl74
06-01-2005, 12:41 AM

Im sure they could quit if they wanted to, but I dont think they will just yet. And Im also sure that there will be a few more years before another album comes out.

As we know, all good things must come to an end, and I dont think they will want to be rapping when they are 80, so yes, at one point the fun will end, and we will all say good bye to the beasties, but that day hasnt come yet. I prefer not to think about when they quit, lets be happy that they are still making stuff, and enjoy that, instead of dewl on questions like "When will they be done?" because these questions make me sad. :( Yes, they will quit at one point, but not yet, and its impossable to predict when, so lets just stop asking this question. With everyone asking this, its almost like you guys want them to be done with.
:(

edit: I am one of the younger people on this board (12) and it would be heart breaking to me to see them go so soon. I just found out about the beasties a year ago, and they are what makes music worth listening too. But look here, just when I find the music that really makes me happy, there is all this talk about them leaving. -sighs-

enree erzweglle
06-01-2005, 03:44 AM
I don't think anyone really retires anyway. They might say they are, but they usually come back in some form or another.

edit: I also don't think they'll stop outright. I think they'll change over time--maybe get involved in projects with a different flavor than just making a new CD and then going on tour/promotion.

SILVERBEASTIE
06-01-2005, 05:19 AM
I highly doubt they'll retire just yet...fuck, I'm 37...and if I were in there position, I'd still feel way too young to call it a day. As far as some people on here saying TT5B is crap...fuck me, you can't please everyone!! Had they done a CYH type album, you'd get someone moaning that it wasn't hip-hop enough! In my time as a BB fan ( 18 years ) one thing I've noticed more than anything is you get all kinds of people liking them, each one liking a different era. When they are well into their 40's, making music like CYH they wouldn't look stupid or too old for it. Granted, trying to look like a teenager when you're that age you will get people laughing and saying give it up! They have been in the game long enough to know what corner to turn, they haven't let us down yet have they? I reckon this thread was started to bait them into some sort of feedback, but that just my opionion.

iceygirl
06-01-2005, 06:00 AM
even if they were to 'retire' im sure that they will have some sort of other side projects going on, working with other musicians or whatever. that is what i imagine anyway.

i did love tt5b, i liked it better than hello nasty, but my favorites are all the older stuffs definitely. ive been enjoying the beastie boys ages now, and even whenever they chose to retire, their albums will always be my favorites. beastie boy fan till i die, i tell ya, whether they are retired or not :D

dave790
06-01-2005, 01:43 PM
beastie boy fan till i die :D

Friis gal
06-01-2005, 02:44 PM
^^^Yeah..

I hope they make what they want to, and they should first stop when they dont like to be beastie boys ennymore, withc i hope will never hapen.. (y)