PDA

View Full Version : High Hopes

Brother McDuff
05-31-2005, 07:40 PM
If I woke up one day and heard on the radio or MTV news or something like that that the beastie boys were back in the studio with the dust brothers, I would probly break down and cry right there on the spot. Just imagine, given all of the improvement and knowledge they've gained in the last decade and a half what they could conjure up. I'm sure the biggest reason they haven't hooked back up is because there would be far too much pressure surrounding it. But given that the Dust brothers have graduated from primarily sampling to top-notch record producers (check the soundscapes they created on Guero) and the bboys have since progressed into more than just rappers, I think they'd be able to do it again. Obviously it wouldn't be as highly regarded and legendary as PB, but it would hinder one of the illest records imaginable. Oh well, I guess I've just got high hopes.

Bank Cashier
05-31-2005, 07:43 PM
If I woke up one day and heard on the radio or MTV news or something like that that the beastie boys were back in the studio with the dust brothers, I would probly break down and cry right there on the spot. Just imagine, given all of the improvement and knowledge they've gained in the last decade and a half what they could conjure up. I'm sure the biggest reason they haven't hooked back up is because there would be far too much pressure surrounding it. But given that the Dust brothers have graduated from primarily sampling to top-notch record producers (check the soundscapes they created on Guero) and the bboys have since progressed into more than just rappers, I think they'd be able to do it again. Obviously it wouldn't be as highly regarded and legendary as PB, but it would hinder one of the illest records imaginable. Oh well, I guess I've just got high hopes.

Agreed!!

cj hood
05-31-2005, 07:43 PM
i'd like to see them do a track w/rubin.......look how successful '99 problems' was.......rick still has it!

enree erzweglle
05-31-2005, 07:45 PM
If I woke up one day and heard on the radio or MTV news or something like that that the beastie boys were back in the studio [...] I would probly break down and cry right there on the spot.

See, that about does it for me. I don't need the rest. :D

Kid Presentable
05-31-2005, 09:27 PM
i'd like to see them do a track w/rubin.......look how successful '99 problems' was.......rick still has it!
Word.

I'd love to hear the difference in the lyrics if they knew that was all they really had to focus on, although if the Boys still had musical ideas at least the producer could keep em in check...

pip07
05-31-2005, 09:41 PM
At this point, Mario C is high hopes...

Vladimir
05-31-2005, 10:59 PM
I'd def like to see them team up with the Dust Bros. again, but I think they might have to think outside the box a little bit more. I mean, I love the Beasties, but I think if you look at their flow now compared to back in the day in the PB-era, you'll find a lot more Intergalactic rhyme scheme nowadays (repetitive emphasis on the last syllable over and over and over). I would love to see them go back to their older mic-trading free-rolling flow (see Shadrach for what I mean) and team up with the Dust Bros. or Rubin. I don't think the Intergalactic rhyme scheme would work with the old-school producers honestly.

Brother McDuff
06-01-2005, 11:44 AM
I'd def like to see them team up with the Dust Bros. again, but I think they might have to think outside the box a little bit more. I mean, I love the Beasties, but I think if you look at their flow now compared to back in the day in the PB-era, you'll find a lot more Intergalactic rhyme scheme nowadays (repetitive emphasis on the last syllable over and over and over). I would love to see them go back to their older mic-trading free-rolling flow (see Shadrach for what I mean) and team up with the Dust Bros. or Rubin. I don't think the Intergalactic rhyme scheme would work with the old-school producers honestly.

You raise an excellent point, Vladimir. That was a good summation of how their delivery has changed over the years. I think that would actually make it more interesting. If they tried to do it the same way, I think they would belly flop. It would be cool to see how the combination would sound. I'd rather the DBs and BBs do a whole new take on hip-hop, like they did with PB, but not in the same manner. A different approach, but ground-breaking nonetheless.
This goes for CJs comment as well. Given that Rick Rubin has improved so much, and the Beasties have a whole new theme than at the LTI time, the product wouldn't be nearly the same as LTI, though it would be just as dope, in it's own kinda way. I guess what I'm realizing here is that just about any producer they would choose I would get pretty excited about, MArio included; the man's a genius. But I think they should revisit some of the old ones. I agree a Rick Rubin album would be really heavy, but the impression I've gotten is that they find Rick too controlling, plus he seems to be shying away from hip-hop too much. That's too bad because that 99 problems beat was so unique.
And lastly, in response to something Vlad said, do you guys consider the Dust Brothers old school? I'm not to keen on the correct usage of the terms, but I think they would be more of a new school duo. What does everybody else think?

still ill
06-02-2005, 08:35 AM
if you heard beck 's new album the production was done by the dust brothers and it is n't that great .sort of that same pb/odealy sound..need to step into the future

Monsieur Decuts
06-02-2005, 11:39 AM
I'd like to see em open up their pockets and get back into the sampling game.

If you pay for it, they will come.

at least I will.

Kid Presentable
06-02-2005, 08:31 PM
if you heard beck 's new album the production was done by the dust brothers and it is n't that great .sort of that same pb/odealy sound..need to step into the future

Nah, I disagree with every word of that...

P.S: Check out the sounds at their website!!! (http://www.dustbrothers.com)

Brother McDuff
06-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Nah, I disagree with every word of that...

P.S: Check out the sounds at their website!!! (http://www.dustbrothers.com)

I agree with Kid's disagreement :confused: . Meaning, the dust brothers don't sound like they used to. First of all, they used to use dozens of layered samples from records to create there beats, but now they use real sounds they sampled of themselves and have surpassed just simple arrangement. They do more than just hip-hop beats. Their skills have expanded beyond then. Step into the future, ill.....

midzi
06-04-2005, 03:14 AM
Speaking of Dust Brothers I've just read that Tom Green is working on a new hip hop album with producer Mike Simpson of the Dust Brothers. :confused:

midzi
06-04-2005, 03:15 AM