PDA

View Full Version : TT5B was a flop.

beastienut
06-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Admit it...it sucked.

Laver1969
06-01-2005, 03:33 PM
How do you define flop?

It debuted at #1, it went platinum within a couple of months. I'm not sure how financially successful the tour was but I don't think it flopped either.

Personally I love TT5B.

Hello_nasty
06-01-2005, 03:36 PM
I liked it.

LE BROUHAHA
06-01-2005, 03:38 PM
:eek: WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?
Nahhh you don't really think it sucks :p Is it a joke?theblackeyedpeas suck!
I guess there's already a thread....

Bobtwi
06-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Didnt suck.Wasnt there best by any means.

MC Moot
06-01-2005, 03:57 PM
It's weak,really weak,but even a weak Beasties record is monumental to me.
Right Right Now Now,Triple Trouble (easy lay),Open Letter to NYC and Crawlspace are the only numbers that I dig hard. Why "And Then I" was left as a B-side is beyond me....but in every number there is a hook that catches me not enough to warrant the track,but to snag my jaw so to speak...who's the critic and the cynic,it's me you see....I find a great deal of similarity between the simplicity of TT5B and L to Ill.....when I think of TT5B I will be most thankful for the videos produced and the majesty of the pageant on tour..... (y)

Personal order of preference:

1) Hello Nasty
2) Check Your Head
3) Ill Communication
4) Pauls Boutique
5) TT5B
6) Liscensed to Ill

kll
06-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Admit it...it sucked.
*yawn*

enree erzweglle
06-01-2005, 05:07 PM
*yawn*

I love/d TT5B and the video for Ch-Check It Out.

TT5B was a different sort of piece than the other CDs, but it had its own feel and mood. I like that.

kll
06-01-2005, 05:08 PM
*yawn*

ha! it's catching, isn't it?

enree erzweglle
06-01-2005, 05:12 PM
ha! it's catching, isn't it?
I figured you'd get what I was saying because you're an understated sort of poster.

I went back and edited my post anyway because I thought maybe some people would think that I was saying that your post bored me.

It actually did make me yawn but only for the contagion not the content. :D

zroanoke
06-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Man I love TT5B!! You know my brother likes the Beasties, but doesn't have any of their albums. He borrows mine but like only for a day. Not TT5B, he stole it! DAMMIT I want it back...but that is a different story. What I'm trying to say is I like it very much and obviously so does a person (my bro) who is not as big of a fan.

zorra_chiflada
06-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Admit it...it sucked.

your dick was a flop.

ok, sorry that was bad. i'm not on the ball today.

Laver1969
06-01-2005, 05:53 PM
your dick was a flop.

you said dick AND ball :eek: :p

zorra_chiflada
06-01-2005, 05:55 PM
you said dick AND ball :eek: :p

HAHAHA!

Chicka B
06-01-2005, 07:29 PM
your dick was a flop.

Haha, you just made me choke on my popsickle, I just imagined a floppy dick! I didn't think that was possible! :D

Kid Presentable
06-01-2005, 07:43 PM
I don't know about a flop, but collectively it inspired many mixed reactions.

Looking at these boards, every album by the Beatsie Boys does that though, in my case Hello Nasty. Time proved me wrong there. :D

If you are referring to the way it didn't set your world alight then perhaps you are asking too much. You're probably older, the other albums have the benefit of nostalgia, hell maybe you just didn't like it.

One thing you can't deny is that the Beastie Boys have always inspired thought and emotion, with their music or their involvement in anything. People still care. For that, you have to give them credit. If my output would get even one per-cent of the attention theirs has in twenty years I'd be a happy man.

madchild
06-01-2005, 07:57 PM
i am a huge beastie fan, but i will admit tt5b was crap. it was almost as if they lost their production skills and lyrical skills all in one shot. because it was weak lyrically and musically. however i did like ch-check it out. i wouldn't say it was a flop but it definitely wasn't as popular as hello nasty.

beastienut
06-01-2005, 08:10 PM
yeah, I'll admit there was on or two good rhymes with a few nice beats, but thats all there was. Let´s face it, the album was rushed from beginning to end. Here's the deal, the beasties where out of the music scene for several years before putting this togther. Capitol Records where like either put out an album or we will drop you from the label. So they whipped up something in a rush and called it an album. To the guy who said the album went platinum, well any band who is popular and has been out of the scene for a while will more than likely produce a "popular" platinum record. And thats all it was. I could go on and on but I won't bore you with my opinions on something I don't even like. I will say TT5B does not stand up to any of their previous albums. I think we have all concluded that.

Laver1969
06-01-2005, 08:22 PM
yeah, I'll admit there was on or two good rhymes with a few nice beats, but thats all there was. Let´s face it, the album was rushed from beginning to end. Here's the deal, the beasties where out of the music scene for several years before putting this togther. Capitol Records where like either put out an album or we will drop you from the label. So they whipped up something in a rush and called it an album. To the guy who said the album went platinum, well any band who is popular and has been out of the scene for a while will more than likely produce a "popular" platinum record. And thats all it was. I could go on and on but I won't bore you with my opinions on something I don't even like. I will say TT5B does not stand up to any of their previous albums. I think we have all concluded that.

I don't think it was rushed at all...in fact I think they spent too much time making a digitally tight album. I'm not sure if that makes sense...but it could have been touch looser.

And I don't really think they're scared of their label.

Burnout18
Haha, you just made me choke on my popsickle, I just imagined a floppy dick! I didn't think that was possible! :D
haaaaaaaaaaaa haa hahahaa now that is funny

zorra_chiflada
i'm a big fan of people having opinions and i'm all for folks being able to say what they want.
but seriously, this thread is as original as "OMG, is screech MIke D's brother."

Laver1969
06-01-2005, 08:26 PM
i'm a big fan of people having opinions and i'm all for folks being able to say what they want.
but seriously, this thread is as original as "OMG, is screech MIke D's brother."

Very true...it actually belongs in frequent thread area.

buddmonkey
06-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Yehaw, another post about tt5b's sucking.. Great whohooo... You know what really sucks, is running out of beer and razorblades.... Beer, because beer is great, and razorblades, because razorbladez would take the pain of reading these dumb fucking threads away.... Oh well life sux and then well who cares really.... PEACE out ;)

zorra_chiflada
06-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Yehaw, another post about tt5b's sucking.. Great whohooo... You know what really sucks, is running out of beer and razorblades.... Beer, because beer is great, and razorblades, because razorbladez would take the pain of reading these dumb fucking threads away.... Oh well life sux and then well who cares really.... PEACE out ;)

^ i think someone needs a hug

SuckerMC
06-02-2005, 02:29 AM
i reckon to the five boroughs was awesome... i mean

1. OLTNYC
2. Triple Trouble
3. Ch-Check it out
4. Oh Word
5. Right Right Now NOw
6. Rhyme the Rhyme Well
7. Thats it thats all
8. The Brouhaha
9. Hey Fuck You

the rest of the songs are alright..... but thats 9 (count them) 9!!! insanely good hip hop tracks!!

Jontz
06-02-2005, 02:37 AM
The singles were great and a couple others, but it really doesnt measure up to their previous albums. Lyricaly and musically. I just didnt like the really acid pro sounding beats which had no depth. Its also abit repetitive and never actually goes anywhere

Cap'n Crunch
06-02-2005, 02:59 AM
There was not that much "back & forth' rapping like they've done in the past..but it's still a good album--maybe their 3rd or 4th best.

rileigh
06-02-2005, 03:12 AM
I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat...
Nuh TT5B was fairly good. Ch-check it out and Open Letter it's best by far. Still, we should support their music or they might get discouraged to make us more of their fine rhymes. They've got the rhyme and reason, so let's give em a cause. (God that was lame.)

SchoolTrousers
06-02-2005, 03:36 AM
i enjoy listening to the album "to the 5 boroughs"

thank you

skept-a-cleptic
06-02-2005, 04:17 AM
Admit it...it sucked.

Hey Mods, could y'all move this tired crap to the Frequent Post Archive?

Thanks in advance,

:)

ericg
06-02-2005, 04:41 AM
I'd say that I pity the fools who think negatively about this album, but it's funny that when you think about it, the Beastie's have paved the way and been around stayin' true for so long and hard that it was time to seperate the suckers that have gotten way out of hand. This album does it. It's an old school testament. They've made the future, and history. Who the fuck are you. People that have the arrogance and audacity to sit around here in the midst of world degeneration and want to look down on this album utterly suck.. like you wouldn't believe. These are the simple facts.

"...Don't even get me started"

They had to say, "Alright hear this world. You've spoiled it for the whole class. You're wack. Time to get ill again." It's stripped down, coarse, and shallow in the sense that you should know better without having to resubmerge... and if you don't know better then it's meant as a rude awakening, and proving true... as always. It's saying this is necessary. They know what music is and got the most def tracks known to man and at their disposal at all times. Just to let those with minds slightly bigger than Bush's know, I've had enough of fools. I hope your damn ears bleed.

"...If you don't like it then Hey Fuck You..."

You've already played yourself out when you're here talking shit. So learn from it. Get where it's coming from. It's rough so even the most dense person can get it. And there's obviously alot of dense people in the world today. This is where we should be, this is where we are. This record's tracks say "You are here now". The Beastie's are ashamed of you punks that won't or haven't gotten it together. So they wanted to give you the time and chance before you get worse. But a word to suckers is never sufficient is it.

After tying a good knot around the stone, write your shame on it here. That way you can tug the burdon around reminding you of your incompetent degenerate arrogance, and hopefully learn a thing or two about gravity, how to make the grade, and how to be. Then thank the Beastie's for their time and care and show them that you're not the reason the world sucks so much, and that the world's devastated affairs and it's degeneration is not because of you. Denying it will only make matters worse. Apologize for having to put up with you, and make your due vows. Then you can take it off. But whatever. Don't listen, stay stupid, and find out about how bad shit can get when you don't listen. And if you don't learn, you'll never amount to shit, really. Truth and the theory of relativity will give or take any class, virtue, integrity, intelligence you could possibly have, in that it depends on you. The Beastie's don't make records for no good reason. They are the reason. If you don't like it then Hey Fuck You. They epitomize the art, gesture, act, and sound of hip hop beyond anyone's expectations and imagination. I think the point is that if you have no credit to give this album, then you haven't earned any real credit to give. Any fan would know that. Then there are always the fans that aren't stupid enough to talk shit about it, but perpetuate negligence and degenerate complexes that front foolishly in other perhaps 'bigger' or more impactful ways that spoil shit in the human link and state..... Those people are the real degenerates of society to watch out for, unless you got something for them, like this record. It's a thing of beauty. So this life's hard, don't waste your time biting the hand that feeds you. B Bye.

PS. I can't believe some of you. (You know who you are) You're incredible. (NOT CREDIBLE for those not familiar with diction.) Do you know what that means? It means you mean less than nothing. Never a good way to be.

To sum up, it sucks if you're a sucker.

I've been in solitude and awake too long.. and too much coffee has slipped the tip. I should'nt even bother with suckers that don't like this record. Fuck you're a waste of time and space.

MaestroDenis
06-02-2005, 05:57 AM
I say they needs to get together, smoke some mad-ass weed, dress up in pimp clothes and record another Paul's Boutique :).

D

Junker
06-02-2005, 06:13 AM
Admit it...it sucked.

I admit....you suck!!!! :mad:

Junker
06-02-2005, 06:22 AM
I'd say that I pity the fools who think negatively about this album, but it's funny that when you think about it, the Beastie's have paved the way and been around stayin' true for so long and hard that it was time to seperate the suckers that have gotten way out of hand. This album does it. It's an old school testament. They've made the future, and history. Who the fuck are you. People that have the arrogance and audacity to sit around here in the midst of world degeneration and want to look down on this album utterly suck.. like you wouldn't believe. These are the simple facts.

They had to say, "Alright hear this world. You've spoiled it for the whole class. You're wack. Time to get ill again." It's stripped down, coarse, and shallow in the sense that you should know better without having to resubmerge... and if you don't know better then it's meant as a rude awakening, and proving true... as always. It's saying this is necessary. They know what music is and got the most def tracks known to man and at their disposal at all times. Just to let those with minds slightly bigger than Bush's know, I've had enough of fools. I hope your damn ears bleed.

You've already played yourself out when you're here talking shit. So learn from it. Get where it's coming from. It's rough so even the most dense person can get it. And there's obviously alot of dense people in the world today. This is where we should be, this is where we are. This record's tracks say "You are here now". The Beastie's are ashamed of you punks that won't or haven't gotten it together. So they wanted to give you the time and chance before you get worse. But a word to suckers is never sufficient is it.

After tying a good knot around the stone, write your shame on it here. That way you can tug the burdon around reminding you of your incompetent degenerate arrogance, and hopefully learn a thing or two about gravity, how to make the grade, and how to be. Then thank the Beastie's for their time and care and show them that you're not the reason the world sucks so much, and that the world's devastated affairs and it's degeneration is not because of you. Denying it will only make matters worse. Apologize for having to put up with you, and make your due vows. Then you can take it off. But whatever. Don't listen, stay stupid, and find out about how bad shit can get when you don't listen. And if you don't learn, you'll never amount to shit, really. Truth and the theory of relativity will give or take any class, virtue, integrity, intelligence you could possibly have, in that it depends on you. The Beastie's don't make records for no good reason. They are the reason. If you don't like it then Hey Fuck You. They epitomize the art, gesture, act, and sound of hip hop beyond anyone's expectations and imagination. I think the point is that if you have no credit to give this album, then you haven't earned any real credit to give. Any fan would know that. Then there are always the fans that aren't stupid enough to talk shit about it, but perpetuate negligence and degenerate complexes that front foolishly in other perhaps 'bigger' or more impactful ways that spoil shit in the human link and state..... Those people are the real degenerates of society to watch out for, unless you got something for them, like this record. It's a thing of beauty. So this life's hard, don't waste your time biting the hand that feeds you. B Bye.

PS. I can't believe some of you. (You know who you are) You're incredible. (NOT CREDIBLE for those not familiar with diction.) Do you know what that means? It means you mean less than nothing. Never a good way to be.

I've been in solitude and awake too long.. and too much coffee has slipped the tip. I should'nt even bother with suckers that don't like this record. Fuck you're a waste of time and space.

Damn!!!
ericg said everything!!! (y)

LE BROUHAHA
06-02-2005, 06:26 AM
if it werent for Fergy, the black eyed peas wouldnt be where they are today. I used to lov fergy when she was in wild orchard in 94. she used to be a dancer on dance party usa. :)
Fergy??? Before they weren't so shitty (I remember a song with jungle bros....)but then that girl came in & that stupid song where is the love with justin timberlake (n) (n) :eek: that song haunted me all the summer :mad: !

enree erzweglle
06-02-2005, 06:40 AM
But whatever. Don't listen, stay stupid, and find out about how bad shit can get when you don't listen. And if you don't learn, you'll never amount to shit, really.

I feel your caffeine. I like what you had to say here ^^^ especially.

I think I agree with you about TT5B and what sounds like something that might be a basic life philosophy of yours.

For some people, I think it's tempting to be critical (e.g., "x sucks" and leave it at that) rather than to take a hard look at something and get yourself to see beyond your own expectations.

Maybe they think it's cool to be automatically damning and that it makes them sound like they know what they're talking about. I think I've found that it usually takes more time and energy to not be those things (cynical/damning).

iceygirl
06-02-2005, 06:48 AM

(y)

alexandra
06-02-2005, 06:55 AM
it was the highlight of all the crappy albums that came out last year.

enree erzweglle
06-02-2005, 07:03 AM
it was the highlight of all the crappy albums that came out last year.
(y)

beastienut
06-02-2005, 07:06 AM
I say they needs to get together, smoke some mad-ass weed, dress up in pimp clothes and record another Paul's Boutique :).

D

(y)

icy manipulator
06-02-2005, 07:25 AM
as beastie boys albums go, it's the worst, but as albums go, it's mad. You compare it to HN, and yeah, it does suck quite a bit. I think the best way to compare the 2 is like comparing RATM and Audioslave. Audioslave are friggin mad, but they are nothing compared to RATM, it's the same with TT5B and HN

Here's the order i rate their albums

Hello Nasty
Paul's Boutique
Ill Communication
Licence to Ill
Check your Head

To the 5 Boroughs..... :confused:

MarkedCube
06-02-2005, 07:36 AM
A flop? I don't agree with that. After 6 years, they release a album and still haven't lost anything. Listen to Mike D on the album, his flows are a lot better then in Hello Nasty. Listen to MMM scratches during Right Right Now Now and its even better live! There is so much energy in the tracks and the beats are nicely done. The whole album can easily be a party favorite. I love their hip hop tracks and TT5B is all hip hop so thats probably one main reason I like it.

But there are a few things I didn't like, one of which is that nearly all the tracks are structered the same way. Where each of them say their part and then the chorus comes in and then after the second chorus its either MMM scratching or a sample comes in and then comes the last part of the track. They don't really flow off each other like they do in other records, they just have their parts and thats it. A lot of people don't know that their goal was to make a album in the old school style and some Beastie fans want to hear more then hip hop on their albums.

iceygirl
06-02-2005, 07:37 AM
i believe that a good majority of 'fans' that are crapping on tt5b are perhaps of the younger beastie fan generation.

sureshot
06-02-2005, 09:14 AM
people tt5b is real hip hop music, the other stuff out there is just crap, tt5b is one of the greatest hip hop albums to come out in a long time, and the reason why this album is so good is because it's real, not fake like other rappers out there, like eminem and 50 cent to name a few.

BOBBY DIGITAL
06-02-2005, 09:19 AM
if it werent for Fergy, the black eyed peas wouldnt be where they are today. I used to lov fergy when she was in wild orchard in 94. she used to be a dancer on dance party usa. :)

That's the stupidest thing I read all week. Fergie destroyed the bep. Personally, I think she has all their dicks in a jar on her nightstand and kisses them goodnight nightly. "wouldn't be where they are today," Where exactly is that? Gettin' jiggy in the morning with Diane Sawyer? Fuck that.

Junker
06-02-2005, 09:26 AM
i believe that a good majority of 'fans' that are crapping on tt5b are perhaps of the younger beastie fan generation.

I agree

cj hood
06-02-2005, 10:11 AM

you were thinkin of a dick while choking on a popsicle?

beastienut
06-02-2005, 10:39 AM
It wasn't their best work, but oh well.

thank you.

still ill
06-02-2005, 10:54 AM
that's the thing about tt5b is a good album but very emprty feeling , not layered enough and the beasties alwys had lots of layers and textures to their beats these compostions are a little too sparse. But in my opinion
the last three tracks crawlspace , brouha , and we got the is were the album declines . Hey fuck you for instance ,good track but never goes anywhere
stand outs are

rhyme the rhyme well
oltnyc
right right now now
triple trouble
all life styles
that it
Oh word
for me check it out was a weak first single ..come on ..a horn stab beat for the beasties who wer gone for six years.. real bboys fans expected more.

Junker
06-02-2005, 10:59 AM
for me check it out was a weak first single ..come on ..a horn stab beat for the beasties who wer gone for six years.. real bboys fans expected more.

Real bboys fans would understand the real intentions of the band with a classical old school hip hop album like TT5B

And c'mon, Ch-check It Out was a weak first single? :eek: Shut da Fuck Up!!! (y)

beastienut
06-02-2005, 11:07 AM
that's the thing about tt5b is a good album but very emprty feeling , not layered enough and the beasties alwys had lots of layers and textures to their beats these compostions are a little too sparse. But in my opinion
the last three tracks crawlspace , brouha , and we got the is were the album declines . Hey fuck you for instance ,good track but never goes anywhere
stand outs are

rhyme the rhyme well
oltnyc
right right now now
triple trouble
all life styles
that it
Oh word

I couldn't have said it any better. This all coming from long-time bboy listeners.

still ill
06-02-2005, 11:08 AM
mean while the album according to interiews was supose to be progressive not classic old school hip hop. And How does it compare to other beastie singles

Intergalatc
sabotage
Pass the mic
Hey ladies/shake your rump

seems like a b side to me

and by the way whats classic old school hip hop to you?

a lame horn stab beat sustained for 3 minutes just doesn't cut the mustard.
Also here is little tid bit for you... all of the beasties shit sounds a like classic old school hip hop beacuse the are from the old school ass hole!!!!

Nurse Pointon
06-02-2005, 11:27 AM
you were thinkin of a dick while choking on a popsicle?

At least it was a popsicle she was choking on.

MC Moot
06-02-2005, 11:39 AM

Really?I supposse that may account for some of disillusion,ignorance is not bliss,but I think it's most dispointing to those of us who been following,admiring,holding on to every rhyme,record after record,tour after tour....."Hello Nasty" was well worth the wait,a full course meal,while TT5B was as some others have suggested hollow and a little empty.....I find the idea that as a band they're critically beyond reproach ,due to history or previous records, to be most juvenille....the 7th record will make it all better,don't take my sweater,I ain't even gonna finish this song,gonna watch Cops on my lawn,in a thong....

iceygirl
06-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Really?I supposse that may account for some of disillusion,ignorance is not bliss,but I think it's most dispointing to those of us who been following,admiring,holding on to every rhyme,record after record,tour after tour....."Hello Nasty" was well worth the wait,a full course meal,while TT5B was as some others have suggested hollow and a little empty.....I find the idea that as a band they're critically beyond reproach ,due to history or previous records, to be most juvenille....the 7th record will make it all better,don't take my sweater,I ain't even gonna finish this song,gonna watch Cops on my lawn,in a thong....

hollow and empty? are you being serious? have you actually listened and paid attention to tt5b? come on...if anything is hollow and empty here, maybe you should look in the mirror.

MC Moot
06-02-2005, 12:05 PM
hollow and empty? are you being serious? have you actually listened and paid attention to tt5b? come on...if anything is hollow and empty here, maybe you should look in the mirror.

A mirror! How savy! Damn,I look good! Yes seriously, I find it to be inorganic,lacking life almost sterile...the beats are SOOOOOO canned....except that almost every time I'm alone and listen to "An open letter" I almost cry.....otherwise no diving allowed due to shallow waters. :D

Nurse Pointon
06-02-2005, 12:22 PM
I liked TT5B's and don't really think it sounds "hollow and empty" or "sucks" at all.

So there.

Adrock_Oct31
06-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Well i liked Ch-Check it out it was pretty good

when tt5b came out i just bought it right away the same day

i was hpoing for something WAY BETTER
well the album overall was okay...

but i could be way better...

still ill
06-02-2005, 12:33 PM
dont get me wrong I love the boys. I'm 32 years and have been of fan of them and hip hop my whole life. tt5b was a very solid hip hop record ,but it is just under par of their pervious work , It's not as dymanic as the earlier albums....and the production does sound stale

beastienut
06-02-2005, 12:53 PM
yeah, I think the biggest problem with the album was the production or there lack of.

MC Moot
06-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Let´s face it, the album was rushed from beginning to end. Here's the deal, the beasties where out of the music scene for several years before putting this togther. Capitol Records where like either put out an album or we will drop you from the label. So they whipped up something in a rush and called it an album....

See, now that is very silly, they do what they want when they want, that’s it that’s all there is. Make no mistake. Corporate entity's do not affect them creatively. You really think ANY label would "dump" them?Regardless of contractual obligation "TT5B" is exactly what they wanted it to be.

I will say TT5B does not stand up to any of their previous albums. I think we have all concluded that.

It's better than "L to Ill".

Chicka B
06-02-2005, 02:01 PM

Damn, hell yeah. In other words it's just the way you look at it. You got to look at the positive not the negative. For the people that don't like it that feel the "emptiness" it's suppose to be like that, it's just stripped down raw hip hop, and they gots the skills! If you think otherwise then you're crazy, yep. All their albums are great you have to admit, but I admit it's not my favorite but I still like it and think it's real good. Hey, ya know, I have a feeling there was already threads on this, and I think they're in frequent post so move you and your little negative thoughts about the album over thurr. :rolleyes:

Those who quoted me on the dick/popsickle thing, you're real perverted. But it was a coincidence eh? :D

Junker
06-02-2005, 02:11 PM
mean while the album according to interiews was supose to be progressive not classic old school hip hop. And How does it compare to other beastie singles

Intergalatc
sabotage
Pass the mic
Hey ladies/shake your rump

seems like a b side to me

and by the way whats classic old school hip hop to you?

a lame horn stab beat sustained for 3 minutes just doesn't cut the mustard.
Also here is little tid bit for you... all of the beasties shit sounds a like classic old school hip hop beacuse the are from the old school ass hole!!!!

What I'm saying, you moron, is that TT5B just have a DJ and MC's rapping. Just like old school hip hop. But if you dont think TT5B is a classic, that came to save us from 50 cents, Ja-rules, Nellys, and other similar shit, there's nothing I can do

beastiegirl18
06-02-2005, 02:17 PM
if it werent for Fergy, the black eyed peas wouldnt be where they are today.
Is true, in their videos Fergy is the center of attention and the other 3 guys aren't.

rlwelch
06-02-2005, 07:09 PM
It took me a very, very long time to appreciate To The 5 Boroughs, especially since when I bought it I was a new Beastie Boys fan, and I had only previously heard "Hello Nasty". After about 60 listenings, if you drop your expectation of dense beats and loud rhymes, you realize the virtuosity that went into this album.

While the B-Boys are not amazing lyricists and their delivery could be better, they keep it very simple on TT5B, and the result is solid. Some of the rhymes are lame. I like how they added in "oooh!"s and growls and "aaahs" at appropriate parts.

The lyrics do what they need to, but the real highlight are the beats. This album has some of the most devastatingly bass-rumbling, rump-shaking, satisfying beats I have ever heard. They are mind-blowing. They thump, twitter and rattle with syncopated wit. There are so many layers to them. I can't really explain it. I just love those beats. From the stirring static and whine of "OLTNYC" over dum-dum-dum-dum bass guitar to the minimalistic harpsichord of "The Brouhaha", to the "in-the-next-millenium-I'll-still-be-old-school" beeping and thumping of "Oh Word", to the aggressive, grinding "That's it That's All", to the slow and swaggering "Shazam", every track on the album is tight and meticulously produced. It's a stripped-down, old-school-homage masterpiece.

Anyways, give it a few more listens and don't concentrate too much on the lyrics. Let the vocals give the tracks texture, turn it up, and let the beats blow up your subwoofer.

Laver1969
06-02-2005, 07:19 PM
It took me a very, very long time to appreciate To The 5 Boroughs, especially since when I bought it I was a new Beastie Boys fan, and I had only previously heard "Hello Nasty". After about 60 listenings, if you drop your expectation of dense beats and loud rhymes, you realize the virtuosity that went into this album.

While the B-Boys are not amazing lyricists and their delivery could be better, they keep it very simple on TT5B, and the result is solid. Some of the rhymes are lame. I like how they added in "oooh!"s and growls and "aaahs" at appropriate parts.

The lyrics do what they need to, but the real highlight are the beats. This album has some of the most devastatingly bass-rumbling, rump-shaking, satisfying beats I have ever heard. They are mind-blowing. They thump, twitter, rattle with devastatingly syncopated wit. There are so many layers to them. I can't really explain it. I just love those beats. From the stirring static and whine of "OLTNYC" over dum-dum-dum-dum bass guitar to the minimalistic harpsichord plinkering of "The Brouhaha", to the "in-the-next-millenium-I'll-still-be-old-school" beeping and thumping of "Oh Word", to the aggressive, grinding "That's it That's All", every track on the album is stunningly well-produced. It's a stripped-down, old-school-homage masterpiece.

Anyways, give it a few more listens and don't concentrate too much on the lyrics. Let the vocals give the tracks texture, turn it up, and let the beats blow up your subwoofer.

Very well written. (y) This is one the few reviews that actually says there are many layers to the music. I totally agree!

NoI'mClarence
06-02-2005, 07:45 PM
admit it...you suck
ok that was stupid but anyways, i thought it was good and yeah look how well it did. I mean i don't know about you, but the people on this website and my best friend are the only people i know who like the beastie boys.

Kid Presentable
06-02-2005, 08:26 PM
If you can't feel the layers, fix your damn players!!!

In it's own pocket TT5B owns....

b-girl74
06-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Admit it...it sucked.

In my opinion, it didnt. I discovered the beasties with TT5B

madchild
06-03-2005, 12:07 AM
all of you guys on here saying tt5b is better than LTI are out of your fucking minds. if it wasn't for lti the beasties wouldn't be where they are today. it was a ground breaking album. the first to go number one and was one of the pioneers of the whole rap/rock scene made more popular in the late 90's. my closing comments (tt5b has been on my desk collecting dust for about 8 months now)

Kid Presentable
06-03-2005, 12:27 AM
all of you guys on here saying tt5b is better than LTI are out of your fucking minds. if it wasn't for lti the beasties wouldn't be where they are today. it was a ground breaking album. the first to go number one and was one of the pioneers of the whole rap/rock scene made more popular in the late 90's. my closing comments (tt5b has been on my desk collecting dust for about 8 months now)

Good for you, I hope they read that and act accordingly...

Justin
06-03-2005, 01:16 AM
I like TT5B, however I dont listen to it everyday. I find myself listening to the TT5B live material more than the record itself. Hearing Triple Trouble, open letter to nyc, and ch-check it out live made me realize that these songs belonged to be in the setlist every night along with all there many classics

SILVERBEASTIE
06-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Admit it...it sucked.

Admit it...some people talk shit on here!

icy manipulator
06-03-2005, 01:01 PM
people tt5b is real hip hop music, the other stuff out there is just crap, tt5b is one of the greatest hip hop albums to come out in a long time, and the reason why this album is so good is because it's real, not fake like other rappers out there, like eminem and 50 cent to name a few.

i agree, everything coming out these days is crap, prolly the best hip hop album since de la soul's last album. The problem these days is that east coast hip hop is dying, because the market is flooded with crap that i wouldn't even classify as hip hop. because beasties is different from the norm, it hasn't been as widely accepted. Alot has changed since Hello Nasty, the market is flooded with crap and you all know it.

Also, let me mention, i love TT5B but i still think it's their worst album. It's a pretty shit album if you compare it to what the east coast sound was like in the 80's, when it was at it's prime

icy manipulator
06-03-2005, 01:11 PM
That's the stupidest thing I read all week. Fergie destroyed the bep. Personally, I think she has all their dicks in a jar on her nightstand and kisses them goodnight nightly. "wouldn't be where they are today," Where exactly is that? Gettin' jiggy in the morning with Diane Sawyer? Fuck that.

Fuck oath, that is so true, i used to love BEP, bridging the gap is one of the best albums, but after elephunk......... i'm ashamed to call myself a fan :(

laurie_hammy
06-04-2005, 08:29 PM
TT5B is SiK, thread closed.

Kid Presentable
06-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Jay Z, Snoop, The Game, Eminem, Fiddy et al may be the biggest things in hip-hop at the moment, but none of them could have made TT5B...

Not even Kanye, The RZA or Doom could have made TT5B.

All those underground heads,they couldn't have made TT5B.

Black eyed Peas couldn't have made TT5B.

Norah Jones couldn't have made TT5B, even with guest spots from Alicia.

Manticore
06-07-2005, 04:46 AM
Admit it...it sucked.

I will not...

...because it didn't.

So nyah!

tomsanderson86
06-10-2005, 01:48 PM
It didn't flop, it just wasn't as good as the previous albums.

hollyfig2000
06-10-2005, 03:44 PM
I love this album, infact I don't think I have stopped listening to it since it came out, but that's my problem....

Father_dougal
06-14-2005, 04:47 AM
Ahhhh! Just because something isn't as good as there previous work does not make it rubbish. There are some great songs on there, some of there best, and though it was a flop for you it wasn't for me. I don't play it that much though :o