PDA

View Full Version : Its Funny How

Lex Diamonds
06-02-2005, 06:49 PM
There are different stages of being a Beastie Boys fan.

1) Discovery. You realise you love them and start finding more of their shit to listen to.

2) Obsession. The Beasties are just about the only band you listen to and you have all of their albums, demos and unreleased's on a 24/7 loop on your sound system.

3) Post-Obsession. Eventually you learn pretty much everything there is to know about the band and realise that while they are great there is other shit you could be listening to and learning about. During this stage you don't really listen to them at all.

4) Enlightenment. You still know all the words to every song, but aren't as crazy on the BBoys. You might listen to an album or a song every now and then, but no more than you would listen to other bands. They are still secretly your favourite shit though. ;)

These stages are 100% accurate. That's how it happened to me and a few people I know anyway.

The Beastie Boys Experience. (y)

EDIT: I just realised the names of the 4 stages spell out DOPE. Safe as fuck. (y)

brooklyndust
06-02-2005, 08:22 PM
I would have to agree

paulb
06-02-2005, 08:31 PM
im Post Obsession... massive fan, know everything about them... rarely listen to them... the bboy juice will kick back in, once bboys start doing somethin, its a boring period right now to be a bboy fan.

b-girl74
06-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Im Obsession, and I dont wanna go to the 3rd or 4th stage! I shall always listen to them! :D

rlwelch
06-02-2005, 09:18 PM
I think I'm at 4. The B-Boys led to Run-DMC and Public Enemy and Mix Master Mike, which eventually lead to Cut Chemist and Jurassic 5, and Ice Cube and Dr. Dre and NWA, and Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul, and well, hip hop. They're still at the top of my playlist, but they're outnumbered in my hip hop CD collection now.

dancin2beasties
06-02-2005, 09:57 PM
wow, yeah this is pretty damn acurate. i am just hitting stage 3, but i have my stage two phases every now and then. stage two was fun, i developed like a Beastie Ear where if they were mentioned on a commercial on a tv in another room i would hear even the faintest "beastie" and run to it. stage one was the best though, cause the music seemed neverending, i found 6 cd's of music i liked all at once. but now i've heard it all and theres really not much else to do now :(

alexandra
06-03-2005, 07:43 AM
phew, passed all stages. ;)

Adrock421
06-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Entering obsession. *danger will robinson, danger!*

icy manipulator
06-04-2005, 01:04 AM
i think you're right on the ball

i'm at about post obsession, a few weeks ago i finally found check your head on vinyl, so i now have every album on cd and vinyl, and for the time in about 2 years there's no b boy cd in my 6 stacker in my car!

muchbeastielove
06-04-2005, 01:26 AM
Im Obsession, and I dont wanna go to the 3rd or 4th stage! I shall always listen to them! :D
Well as much as I hate to say it, Im already on the 5th stage! :( I dont know what happened. But I think im coming back! I just baught a bboy poster from SamGoody last weekend. It was from the Tripple Trouble video and they are wearing their costumes in it. :D (y)

cookiepuss
06-04-2005, 02:07 AM
hi my name is cookiepuss and I'm a stage 4 beastie addict.

Ashleigh
06-04-2005, 02:27 AM
That's so bloody accurate!! lol now I'm in stage 4. But I remember obsession, trying to find all of their albums in record stores, and even when I stopped over in sydney before I went on a cruise i had to check out all of the record stores, which is where I finally found pauls boutique.

Thinking about it, I miss obsession. It was like everyday I had a new favourite song, and would listen to that song over and over until i got sick of it. I really miss discovering them and all of their different styles.

Ohhh, now I feel sad. At least I can now show my friends the beastie boy phenomonen, and watch them go thru the 4 stages.

But I can't wait for the new Beastie Boys book to come out in December. I'll be first in line for that!!

:D :D

laurie_hammy
06-04-2005, 08:01 PM

Im with you B-Girl !!!!! I also SHALL ALWAYS listen to them, the next stages are just nightmares which for me will never come true ;)

Chicka B
06-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Is it normal for stage 2 to last for a year? :D There's stuff that I'm still trying to get and I won't be satisfied til I get it all!!! I listen to them daily, and come here for the most part daily so I'm in obsession still I guess. :o

P.T.B.A.I.
06-04-2005, 09:43 PM
I've just entered Stage Number 2.

miss soul fire
06-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Hahaha "safe as fuck"! THAT's my phase and it will always be!:D

icy manipulator
06-04-2005, 10:54 PM

are you sure you just didn't take it straight from Human Traffic??? :p

Pootytang
06-04-2005, 11:41 PM
I admit I am obsessed, and I listen to them all the time. I also listen to alot of other bands. I kind of fit somewheres in the middle of all your choices.

Lex Diamonds
06-05-2005, 04:21 AM
Go-Go-Go-Go-Goldie Lookin' Chain. (http://www.youknowsit.co.uk)

To all the replies: Wicked. It's nice to know that all Beastie addicts go through the same stages. (y)

Thundercracker
06-05-2005, 04:31 AM
OMG THAT'S THE FUNKY SHIT!

i guess i'm between obsession to post-obsession.

Francesca
06-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Wow Padster that's an accurate decription of how I feel, it's nice to know we're all a lot a like.

fatmat772001
06-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I'd have to say I'm a stage four. I fell in love with their music when Ill Communication came out (I was ten) and went through the first three stages over the years. After seeing them live in November (Detroit) I entered stage four. But they will always remain my favorite band of all time, and to their credit they had a huge influence in my choice of music after I began to listen to them. From Led Zeppelin, and classic rock of the like, to Run DMC and Jurrasic 5, all the way to Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, and my man Stevie Wonder. Their unique sense of beat production, sampling, and instruments (whether rapped over or purely just instrumental soul) really opened my eyes to the musical world around me and all that was there to offer.

Junker
06-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Fuck! I've been listening to them since '92 and I think I'm still at the stage 2.
I listen to other shit of course. But everyday I got to listen to the Beastie Boys.

titou lapraline
06-06-2005, 09:02 AM
personnly...3-4...

kll
06-06-2005, 11:34 AM
woah. very accurate portrayal of a fan.

cosmo105
06-07-2005, 12:37 PM
yeah, very well-put, Paddy old boy.

i'm at least at the Enlightenment stage. i mean, i don't really dig anything they're putting out these days. but i'd still buy a poster if it was a good deal and all.

Lex Diamonds
06-07-2005, 12:55 PM
i don't really dig anything they're putting out these days. but i'd still buy a poster if it was a good deal and all.
cosmo Knows It. (y)

NoI'mClarence
06-07-2005, 01:50 PM
i'm in enlightenment

20Questions
06-07-2005, 08:37 PM

1) Discovery. You realise you love them and start finding more of their shit to listen to.

2) Obsession. The Beasties are just about the only band you listen to and you have all of their albums, demos and unreleased's on a 24/7 loop on your sound system.

3) Post-Obsession. Eventually you learn pretty much everything there is to know about the band and realise that while they are great there is other shit you could be listening to and learning about. During this stage you don't really listen to them at all.

4) Enlightenment. You still know all the words to every song, but aren't as crazy on the BBoys. You might listen to an album or a song every now and then, but no more than you would listen to other bands. They are still secretly your favourite shit though. ;)

These stages are 100% accurate. That's how it happened to me and a few people I know anyway.

EDIT: I just realised the names of the 4 stages spell out DOPE. Safe as fuck. (y)

Hahaha

Lex Diamonds
06-09-2005, 04:41 AM
Hahaha
whats funny?

voltanapricot
06-09-2005, 04:45 AM
Isn't it funny? This feeling inside? I'm not one of those who can easily hiiiiiide.

Lex Diamonds
06-09-2005, 04:46 AM
Isn't it funny? This feeling inside? I'm not one of those who can easily hiiiiiide.
Don't stop
isn't it funny how you shine?

Hear the sea spray give
I was with her

I'm under the ship
so get me over!

mikizee
06-09-2005, 04:52 AM
From Led Zeppelin, and classic rock of the like, to Run DMC and Jurrasic 5, all the way to Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, and my man Stevie Wonder. Their unique sense of beat production, sampling, and instruments (whether rapped over or purely just instrumental soul) really opened my eyes to the musical world around me and all that was there to offer.

word, dude. it seems you and i have the exact same taste in music. a very healthy one. i still remember the day i got hotter than july by stevie wonder on vinyl, and felt like i was born again.

sethomas
06-11-2005, 09:17 PM
been stuck in stage 3 for the past 10 years....

Brownie Hog
06-12-2005, 11:47 PM
I hit 1 and went directly to 4. I think I got jipped. I've never been a music freak. I still listen to them because they are still evolving. They are still creating something different with every album. I shouldn't write these this late at night.

Rancid_Beasties
06-13-2005, 12:49 AM
I'd be level 4, I dont like much of their new stuff...but I would still see them every chance I could live and buy all their new stuff. And I always crack a smile when one of their songs comes on itunes shuffle :)

boys_beastie
06-13-2005, 12:55 PM
im at 4, but still listen more than it says, like if im cooking, ill put beasties on 3 out of six times 6 times. if not them, j5, bad brains, de la soul or tribe called quest. im going through a classic hip-hop stage at the moment. used to be bob or lee perry.

another cool thing. my dads fiend was gonna give away some old single 12" records, but he took em and looked through em and he gave me a white lines by grandmaster flash. thats cool :)

B-Boy cro
06-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Well, I'm stage one, and every day I find out something new about Beasties. Every new song I hear makes me like them more! I only have To the 5 boroughs and Ill communication, but I'll buy their other albums for sure. It looks like we Beastie fans have a lot in common, because I too like Jurassic 5, De La Soul and old school rap. I listen to Moby, Cypress Hill, and some funky stuff like James Brown as well. If I were older, I'd probably be stage 4 right now. BUT I'M STAGE ONE! OH WHAT A JOY!!! :) :) :)

staceybridie
06-14-2005, 01:44 AM
I feel kinda left out :'( Although I guess Im in the 1st stage of D.O.P.E I seem to have grasped certain aspects of the other stages and made my own little hybrid stage thats offshooted ...and shall probably leading to a drawnout demise......man thats random ;)

Father_dougal
06-14-2005, 04:24 AM
Thats pretty true. I go through all them phases with all artists. But sometimes in different orders. I change, i go through phases. I'm in a good phase now (y)

boys_beastie
06-14-2005, 07:15 AM
i also picked up a few bam(baataa) cds wen i last visited newyork. hes great. and in the jungle groove by jb.

Lex Diamonds
06-14-2005, 01:03 PM
i also picked up a few bam(baataa) cds wen i last visited newyork. hes great.
Straight up. (y)

hollyfig2000
06-14-2005, 01:34 PM
You read my mind, I think I've been stuck on 2 for the last 10? years.!!!

beastiegirrl101
06-14-2005, 02:04 PM

I am inbetween 3 and 4

roosta
06-14-2005, 02:45 PM
very well put padster, although i dont really fit in.

I would say im enlightenment,...but i play them (and one or two other bands/artists) more than any other still...

Lex Diamonds
06-14-2005, 03:37 PM
very well put padster, although i dont really fit in.

I would say im enlightenment,...but i play them (and one or two other bands/artists) more than any other still...
Yeah I get what you mean.

When I said these stages are 100% accurate, I actually meant about 78%. (y)

beastieangel01
06-14-2005, 06:54 PM
They are still secretly your favourite shit though. ;)

whateva, it ain't no secret!

djc1980
06-14-2005, 07:15 PM
I think I'm at 4. The B-Boys led to Run-DMC and Public Enemy and Mix Master Mike, which eventually lead to Cut Chemist and Jurassic 5, and Ice Cube and Dr. Dre and NWA, and Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul, and well, hip hop. They're still at the top of my playlist, but they're outnumbered in my hip hop CD collection now.
the same with me every other bands i listen is in some way connects to the beasties i got into a tribe called quest from q-tip's apperance on get it together then i got in to de la soul because they were part of the native tongues family with a tribe called quest and jungle brothers to me the beasties are the epitome of music

Bourgie
06-16-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm in post obsession. I've been on a Beastie boys hiatus.

flower
06-16-2005, 05:24 PM

I think I am somewhere between Obsession and Post-Obsession. This is an interesting thread. It made me evaluate my fandom.

Justin
06-18-2005, 02:27 AM
OBSESSION still.....If it wasnt for the live shit then i may be post obsession. I only listen to the beasties, but never the popular popular songs. For an example when driving and playing music at a level where others can hear it i only play live at pjs, alright hear this, and jimmy james. Stuff like that.

I think i need medication. Im sure some of you could help me out with that. I'm sure some of you are probably taking things now that hasnt even been properly developed yet

SuckerMC
06-18-2005, 02:38 AM
i think that i am in part 4, however they are still my fav band and i sitll isten to them more than any other badn..... but i am way into the old school hip hop... grandmaster flash, spoonie gee, kool moe dee and so forth... but nobody compares to the beasties!!!

Lex Diamonds
06-26-2005, 11:44 AM
i think that i am in part 4, however they are still my fav band and i sitll isten to them more than any other badn..... but i am way into the old school hip hop... grandmaster flash, spoonie gee, kool moe dee and so forth... but nobody compares to the beasties!!!
If you're checking out the old skool don't forget to spin some Del The Funky Homosapien. :D (y)

Sir SkratchaLot
06-27-2005, 08:23 AM
5) Making fun of people on Level 1-4

NEXT LEVEL!

Weezman
06-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Hit it right on the nose.

You know there your boys till the end...no matter if you put them up on the shelf for awhile to breathe some other music. But man .....if you ever hear some one utter the words "who's your favorite rap group"? The dopest 3 MC's...you dont even have to say it. Just pose your B-Boy stance and grin like ADROCK.

Next of Kin
06-27-2005, 05:23 PM
i would like these message bords divited into 2 parts. (lb)
1 for category 1 & 2 and one for 3- 4 that way i would not have to look at so many lame messages :eek: (lb)

Lex Diamonds
07-03-2005, 10:29 AM
i would like these message bords divited into 2 parts. (lb)
1 for category 1 & 2 and one for 3- 4 that way i would not have to look at so many lame messages :eek: (lb)
Those two parts do exist. They're called Beastie General and Beastie Free.

Weezman
07-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Those two parts do exist. They're called Beastie General and Beastie Free.

:eek: DaaaAAAAnnnnnnGG!!!

TopazJAK
07-04-2005, 09:31 AM

Discovery... when I bought LTI. 1986

Obsession... when I bought PB. 1989

Post-Obsession... sometime during the long, long time between HN and TT5B.

Currently I'm back in the Obsession phase. They're all I listen to. :D

Lex Diamonds
07-12-2005, 04:55 PM
:eek: DaaaAAAAnnnnnnGG!!!
I tell it how I know it.

Just hope the FUCK I don't show it.

Weezman
07-12-2005, 10:12 PM
I tell it how I know it.

Just hope the FUCK I don't show it.

"I pitty the fool ", on that one :eek:

rlwelch
07-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Del The Funky HomosapienMmm, yes! haha, I loved him on I Wish My Cousin George Was Here, Both Sides of the Brain, Deltron 3030 and Gorillaz. He's a very talented lyricist with a unique delivery.

BroomHead
07-19-2005, 07:01 AM

And this is a lot like the BEASTIE acronym. The first stage is "Boys Entering" (Dicovering), the next is "Anarchistic States" (Being Obsessed), the next is "Towards" (the transition to..) and finally enlightment is "Internal Excellence". It works that way too. And I don't know who the above is quoting but I have to agree that Del is amazing. "I Wish My Brother George Was Here" is one of my favourite records of all time.

Lex Diamonds
07-19-2005, 06:09 PM
And I don't know who the above is quoting
It was me man.

You knows it. (y)

Rawr
10-18-2005, 02:05 AM
i dont think im any of those, because im not obsessed and have all there unrealeased tracks..
im just a fan who only listens to them because i find all the other music by other bands shit. this is why im scared to the day they'll leave music and go on with there lifes, DOOMED TO 10000 REPLYS OF THEIR OLD SONGS knowing there not coming back :(( heh aw
no im not on drugs

paulb
10-18-2005, 02:15 AM
i am finally back at Stage 2!!!! what a good time to be a bboy fan!

discopants
10-18-2005, 02:54 AM
I've been in obsession for just under 4 years.

DapperDiverge
10-18-2005, 10:24 AM
That is the most accurate description of Beastie-holics everywhere!! I must say that I've completed all 4 stages... I'm afraid of what comes next!! For most of my life I've slept, ate, and drank with the Beastie Boys' music.

Now that they're fading away little by little, where do I go???

I'm scared!! HELP!!!! :eek:

I don't want them to go!!! Please, NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!