PDA

View Full Version : LORDS OF DOGTOWN

King PSYZ
06-06-2005, 10:28 AM
So anyone else see this over the weekend?

I thought it was excellent, as me and my dad noticed there was some things missing and changed slightly. But all in all it was excellent. I thought these kids really nailed the characters they played. Esspecially the ones playing Alva and Jay Adams. I've met a lot of the people these roles were based on and at times it was super creepy. Esspecially watching the twitch in the one playing Jay.

Plus great skating!

Echewta
06-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Having watched the doc, you didn't seem like the movie was silly? Like, you've seen footage and pictures of the real people doing it and along comes the movie? I'd like to see it but the original was just so great, I don't know how this can top that.

King PSYZ
06-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Here was my only problem with the doc that i think this film captured. venice was the fuckin hood around that time and they stayed from going too far into the split between the core in the doc.

both those things were well covered in this movie. i know some of it is fiction, but Jay Adams is crazy as fuck and I got that more from the film than from the footage Stacey decided to show during the Doc.

King PSYZ
06-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Also I felt that way during the doc. too, I mean I watched these guys skate my backyard. So it was all sorta silly and sureal at the same time.

I know when the cameras were around they were all different people.

Echewta
06-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out :)

I went to Venice Beach often in the 70s but I don't remember it being that hoodish, though I'm sure it was.

kll
06-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out :)

I went to Venice Beach often in the 70s but I don't remember it being that hoodish, though I'm sure it was.

you were too caught up in the boys at muscle beach to notice, you mean...

Echewta
06-06-2005, 11:30 AM
I was under 10 :(

kll
06-06-2005, 11:30 AM

that's allowed... you can blame it on not knowing better...

Qdrop
06-06-2005, 11:34 AM

the point remains....

King PSYZ
06-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Hey you can't blame him, macho man randy savage is captivating to a child.

HEIRESS
06-06-2005, 11:49 AM
shit, i forgot that opened this weekend!

Echewta
06-06-2005, 11:50 AM
I do remember Muscle Beach. And lots of other crazy stuff but I was just interested in body bordering. Back when the water was a bit cleaner. "Those were the days....!!!"

cosmo105
06-06-2005, 11:53 AM
i loved watching the previews. i said, you KNOW sometime during that movie, someone's going to say, "THIS IS OUR TIME NOW!!"

sure enough, halfway through the commercial...

King PSYZ
06-06-2005, 11:54 AM
i prefered the el segundo area for my early "sponging" days, but venice had some nice breaks right by the basketball courts/muscle beach area off that rock breakwall

King PSYZ
06-06-2005, 01:17 PM
so i found this review and i think it sums it up perfect
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20391

kll
06-06-2005, 01:24 PM
that part of Venice disturbs me :(
indeed!

Echewta
06-06-2005, 01:26 PM
The smell of urine warmed by the sunshine and mixed with the fresh ocean air always makes Venice so special.

Echewta
06-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Well, Santa Monica is extra special because even the parking structures have that smell.

kll
06-06-2005, 01:35 PM
I love the artistic people and architecture though :)

yeah and there's a great booth to get impossible-to-find reggae cd's...

hardnox71
06-06-2005, 02:15 PM
The smell of urine warmed by the sunshine and mixed with the fresh ocean air always makes Venice so special.

Well, Santa Monica is extra special because even the parking structures have that smell.
God, I miss Southern California. :(

King PSYZ
06-06-2005, 03:01 PM
God, I miss Southern California. :(
I know this thread and the movie made me a little teary eyed...

King PSYZ
06-06-2005, 03:02 PM
that big graffiti spot AKA homeless/fiend hangout right there in venice was torn down a few years back.

i poured my beer on the ground when i heard.

hardnox71
06-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I know this thread and the movie made me a little teary eyed...
No, man, that's the ammonia from the stifling hot urine wafting up from Dogtown.

Echewta
06-06-2005, 03:14 PM
I blame Reagan.

Facinating. Are we related?

Documad
06-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Way to go. I was sure I was not going to see it and now I'm sure I am going to see it.

I both loved and hated the documentary. As a documentary, it was pretty bad because it was made by an insider and it ruined the tone of the thing. In order for the documentary to truly work, you had to already know them and their story and think they were cool. Or you were supposed to believe they were super cool because Sean Penn said so. I knew the basic outline, but I knew nothing about them as people, so the reveals at the end were just jarring. I did find the window into the culture and time interesting (which is my No. 1 reason for seeing documentaries, so that's good) and of course the skateboarding was a sight to see. It really nailed the era, even though I didn't grow up anywhere near an ocean.

I would like to know more about the dark side and why some went off course. And they got some great actors in those roles.

King PSYZ
06-06-2005, 07:28 PM
the review from AICN really nails everything down better than I could say it. My only thing to ad is I know these people so I can tell you that these kids nailed their characters.

jennyb
06-07-2005, 12:58 AM

Ugh, those stairwells! I swear all the homeless in town urinate in the stairwells of the Santa Monica parking structures.

I don't think I'll be seeing this movie. I liked the documentary.

When I heard in the previews of Lords of Dogtown "it's going to be summer vacation all year" or something super dumb like that... I had no desire whatsoever to see this film. (n)

RobMoney
06-07-2005, 08:40 AM

I bet all the photobooths in this area smell the same way.

Echewta
06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
There are two photobooths in Santa Monica and they are located on the pier at the arcade. Luckily, people don't have the desire to pee by the skeeball plus the ocean air is pretty strong.

Plus the curtain only covers the top half. People would see you playing sprinkler.

Documad
07-16-2005, 11:54 PM
While I don't recommend the movie exactly, I enjoyed it. My favorite thing is when movies create a world that I don't usually see. This one did. I grew up in the 70s but not near an ocean and I didn't skateboard. But my pals and I biked all over with no supervision and did a lot of stupid/crazy stuff. I'm a little younger than the kids in this but it really captured the feeling of being an unfocused kid in the 70s.

The acting was amazing. All around.

I can't recommend the movie because the story arc was unsatisfying for me. I know it's based on reality so I guess they had to follow that. I also wondered whether the Peralta (sp?) character would have been less of a goody two shoes if he hadn't written the movie. I wonder whether the other guys saw the movie and thought he cleaned up his character.

TAL
09-19-2005, 11:38 AM
So anyone else see this over the weekend?
I did see if over this weekend. Great stuff (y)

CrankItUp!
09-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Alva was seriously thought of as a phenomenal god when I was just a kid in the 70's. (y)