06-08-2005, 12:58 PM
what's your preferance...and why?

(please no sexual connotations)

cosmo105
automatic because i can't drive stick. :(

Lex Diamonds
Stick shift purely because it's keeping it old skool. (y)

CiaoBella
06-08-2005, 12:59 PM
my dad made me learn on a stick shift...so that I would be able to drive any car....personally I like it better...if I am in the car with some cheesy dude he can't hold my hand.

Qdrop
06-08-2005, 01:06 PM
my dad made me learn on a stick shift...so that I would be able to drive any car
me too....and most of my cars have all been stick.

i dig stick for the performance value, the money it saves on brakes (downshifting), better snow driving, racing, passing, ect....

but it can really be a pain in the ass if you are trying to do other shit in the car like change a CD and shit....just a pain in the ass in general.

my girls car is an automatic and i love driving it just for the simpicity...

CiaoBella
06-08-2005, 01:09 PM
yea when I drive other people's cars its weird because I have nothing to do with my hand...

marsdaddy
06-08-2005, 01:09 PM
I only drove stick for the first 21 years of my driving experience. Last year, we bought a commuter car and decided to go a/t. I can't tell you how much it sucks.

Yes, it's easier in traffic, but:

- gas mileage is way less than manual
- braking is harder
- acceleration sucks
- driving is boring

I would probably not buy a/t again.

What gets me is when I see an a/t sports car. WTF is someone doing driving a Carrera S4 with an a/t? On the other hand, those paddle shifters are sweet.

kll
06-08-2005, 01:10 PM
I grew up with stick-shifts... all of my cars, before my current were sticks (4 of em!)... I miss it at times, but now that I am living in a city, it's easier with traffic to have the automatic... I am probably one of the few who drives an automatic and downshifts instead of using my brakes...

insertnamehere
06-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Stick shift purely because it's keeping it old skool. (y)

kll
06-08-2005, 01:12 PM
my girls car is an automatic and i love driving it just for the simpicity...

I just realized that when I had all of my stickshifts, it was when I didn't use a cell phone... that would change things for me nowadays...

Qdrop
06-08-2005, 01:14 PM
I just realized that when I had all of my stickshifts, it was when I didn't use a cell phone... that would change things for me nowadays...

yeah....it's fucking maddening.......

mickill
06-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Depends on the car, I guess. I have 5 speed tiptronic, but I guess overall I'd prefer a stick to an automatic.

JBernas
06-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Depends on the car, I guess. I have 5 speed tiptronic, but I guess overall I'd prefer a stick to an automatic.

Me too....do you happen to have a VW? :D

mickill
06-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Hell yes.(y)

JBernas
06-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Right on..... LOVE mine

bobi
06-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Stick is cool, but when you are stuck in traffic jam for a hour and you have to operate the pedals and shift the gear a 100 times per minute you will get a serious ass pain.

insertnamehere
06-08-2005, 01:57 PM
(please no sexual connotations)

i was kind of disappointed when i saw this part... so many possibilities.

im actually kinda hesitant to every try driving an AT... the only time i ever did was when i had to for a couple hours for drivers ed. i know it's simple... you dont really do anything, but still it would be too weird to drive. and im not sure what all the different stuff is that you can move your stick around too.

ToucanSpam
06-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Automatic because I find driving a stick takes away from the driving experience as well as my attention.

mickill
06-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Right on..... LOVE mine

What do you have? My guess is a Passat.

JBernas
06-08-2005, 02:08 PM
What do you have? My guess is a Passat.

Dead on....had a Jetta, but traded up last October. You? My guess is a Jetta.

kll
06-08-2005, 02:20 PM

Cheers to Jettas! My car all through college +

ShenGod
06-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Manual Trans. Faster acceleration.

mickill
06-08-2005, 02:28 PM

I'm rollin a Passat. The wife had a yellow Cabriolet that I absolutely refused to drive, so we traded it in. For work, I still take the "other" car which is a Golf. Yeah, we're kinda like VW people.

Never had a Jetta, though.

JBernas
06-08-2005, 02:41 PM
^^My kinda people :)

abcdefz
06-08-2005, 02:42 PM
I love manual transmission. The only car I've ever driven that was a/t was my Jetta, and it was fine, but I missed the stick shift.

More control, faster power, more active driving, etc.

Funny enough, the church mini-van I drive is a manual. I've never seen a mini-van with a stick shift before, but there ya go.

One of the autos I learned on was a really old Chevy truck -- three on the three. (y)

marsdaddy
06-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Never had a Jetta, though.We're on our 2nd Jetta. This one is a wagon. My 2nd car was a scirocco (http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~bvinisky/110/P8/Scirocco.jpg) and I've had at least one VW or Audi, since.

mickill
06-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Passats OWN Jettas, marsdad. Sorry, but you can't really join our little club until you amend this small problem.

Nice Scirocco, though.

marsdaddy
06-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Passats OWN Jettas, marsdad. Sorry, but you can't really join our little club until you amend this small problem. If only that were my only problem. :(

We're debating between a new A4 or used A6 next. I might consider a 5 Series, too, as they routinely make manuals.

mickill
06-08-2005, 03:07 PM
If only that were my only problem. :(

We're debating between a new A4 or used A6 next. I might consider a 5 Series, too, as they routinely make manuals.

I see.

So you're actually about to exceed our requisite vehicle then.

Well, the Passat and the A6 share the same platform, so don't get all high and mighty, Mr High and Mighty. But if you go the 5 Series route, we may have some problems here.

BOBBY DIGITAL
06-08-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm rollin a Passat. The wife had a yellow Cabriolet that I absolutely refused to drive, so we traded it in. For work, I still take the "other" car which is a Golf. Yeah, we're kinda like VW people.

Never had a Jetta, though.

Nice, dude. I'm rockin the Golf. There's only been two cars that I owned, very briefly, that weren't an V dub. I'm tryin to save up for a R32. Fuckin' pimp. (y)

insertnamehere
06-08-2005, 03:10 PM
i always thought jettas looked pretty cool, so they're nice cars then?

i hope to have a car someday that isnt falling to pieces. i dont know how much longer my current care will last.

marsdaddy
06-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Well, the Passat and the A6 share the same platform, so don't get all high and mighty, Mr High and Mighty.So the A6 gets me in? Ever seen one in a manual?

mickill
06-08-2005, 03:13 PM
I actually haven't. Just tiptronic, which isn't really the same thing, but it's close enough for me.

insertnamehere
06-08-2005, 03:20 PM
whats this tiptronic word everyone keeps throwin around?

marsdaddy
06-08-2005, 03:39 PM
whats this tiptronic word everyone keeps throwin around?Manual for people who don't know how to use clutch? Tiptronic. (http://www.caflisch.ch/images/audi/TT%20TIPTRONIC.jpg) I think it was called auto manual in old VW's like the karman ghia?

mickill
06-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Don't try to make it sound gay.

I still drive a regualr stick, too...with a clutch and everything.

sjp
06-08-2005, 05:43 PM
next car is gonna be stick, suburu, hook it up like in gran turismo.

tracky
06-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Manual. Rev harder, brake harder, more control.

marsdaddy
06-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Don't try to make it sound gay.Oh yeah, and those who drive tiptronic wear tartan skirts. Shiver me timbers!

mickill
06-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Oh yeah, and those who drive tiptronic wear tartan skirts. Shiver me timbers!

I hear Jetta is actually German for "inferior".

avignon
06-08-2005, 10:05 PM
You can get the new Jettas turbocharged with dual exhaust. The are peppy as hell. And they look pretty clean too. Not my first choice but maybe on the top-ten realistic list of cars I would buy.

The manual transmission gets you through your gears about a billion times faster than an automatic. I hate that mine isn't a stick. It's slower off the line and the second gear is so steep it takes forever to get to third. (n)

QweenOfBoggle
06-08-2005, 10:17 PM
What gets me is when I see an a/t sports car. WTF is someone doing driving a Carrera S4 with an a/t?

Thank you! jesus, if you're going to use your car to look like a badass, atleast be a man about it and drive a stick!

My family has always had atleast 2 cars with a manual so I've grown up used to it. My first car ('94 firebird) was one. it was great. I miss that car. :(

edit: also, the clutchless manuals are wicked gay.

K.P.Alias III
06-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Luxury Sedans - Automatic
Everything Else - Stick

Yorkshire~Rose
06-09-2005, 01:54 AM
I've only ever driven an automatic once in my life (and that was in the US) - it was a nightmare! I kept reaching for the gear stick, my left foot kept automatically pressing down on the non existant clutch pedal, the acceleration was snail pace and it was quite frankly a boring drive...gimme a manual any day of the week!

tracky
06-09-2005, 02:03 AM
I've only ever driven an automatic once in my life (and that was in the US) - it was a nightmare! I kept reaching for the gear stick, my left foot kept automatically pressing down on the non existant clutch pedal, the acceleration was snail pace and it was quite frankly a boring drive...gimme a manual any day of the week!

that's me driving an auto too :p In the end I just have to plant my left foot firmly on the floor and keep it there or else I end up doing all sorts of strange stuff, especially at the lights ;)

zorra_chiflada
06-09-2005, 07:19 AM
i don't have my licence - only about 20 hours worth of driving lessons. i've only driven automatic, because i know i'd never be able to get my head around a manual car.
and i still fear for my life when driving. :(

icy manipulator
06-09-2005, 07:21 AM
stick, i converted my car last year from automatic and i'll never go back now,

JBernas
06-09-2005, 07:52 AM
i always thought jettas looked pretty cool, so they're nice cars then?

I loved mine....although I'm not diggin on the new body style they just came out with New Jetta (www.vw.com)

icy manipulator
06-09-2005, 07:55 AM
what's a jetta? we dont have them here in oz

JBernas
06-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Click on the link!

icy manipulator
06-09-2005, 08:00 AM
not too shabby at all

Dr Deaf
06-09-2005, 08:26 PM
manual all fucking day.

HEIRESS
06-09-2005, 08:29 PM
uhh passenger seat???

insertnamehere
06-09-2005, 08:49 PM
is it bad that when i was checking out the specs for the jetta, i got all excited when i saw cupholders listed?

marsdaddy
06-09-2005, 10:26 PM
is it bad that when i was checking out the specs for the jetta, i got all excited when i saw cupholders listed?The problem is the cup holder is over the face of the CD player, though. You have to remove the drinks to change the disc. WTF?!

Hal9000
06-09-2005, 10:30 PM
I just sold my manual Chevy S10 but I'm wrapping up the paperwork on an '01 E320, I decided the only context in which I can justifiably drive an automatic at age 21 is in a Benz.

spla-dow (http://b.im.craigslist.org/u0/Mo/ucAoL4vyRd3iqmP3v6LIfSJ67qAR.jpg)

insertnamehere
06-10-2005, 09:36 AM
The problem is the cup holder is over the face of the CD player, though. You have to remove the drinks to change the disc. WTF?!

hey, i've had two cars, and neither had cup holders. it's really hard to hold a drink between your legs while having to move both legs around to clutch and break and accelerate and all that stuff, especially if you can't steady it with a hand because you're steering and changing gears.

P of R
06-10-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm very firm on this...

MANUAL!

Automatic takes more fuel and more power is lost through it. Learn to shift! It's not hard!

voltanapricot
06-10-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm currently learning in a stick shift.

P of R
06-10-2005, 05:02 PM
next car is gonna be stick, suburu, hook it up like in gran turismo.

Subaru.

mp-seventythree
06-10-2005, 05:11 PM
All my cars apart from my current one have been manuals (17 of them), but my Lex is auto. It's okay but I don't think I'd have another one, and I'll probably be changing it within the next year.

Marsdaddy, over here you can get A6s with manual boxes, I think they do a 5 and 6 speed manual, or a tiptronic.
My dad's truck has a tiptronic and it's a bit shite to be honest, I only ever drive it in full auto.

kate
06-10-2005, 05:24 PM
my boyfriend told me the other day "you should learn how to drive my car in case i ever get shot and need a ride to the hospital or something." well he drives a stick and i've never even touched one of those things. i stalled out 3 times in 4 trips around the walmart parking lot. afterwards he said he'd rather get shot and drive himself to the hospital while bleeding to death before he'd ever let me drive his car again. needless to say, i prefer automatics

alruggs
06-10-2005, 05:25 PM
my boyfriend told me the other day "you should learn how to drive my car in case i ever get shot and need a ride to the hospital or something." well he drives a stick and i've never even touched one of those things. i stalled out 3 times in 4 trips around the walmart parking lot. afterwards he said he'd rather get shot and drive himself to the hospital while bleeding to death before he'd ever let me drive his car again. needless to say, i prefer automatics
you have a boyfriend? our little girl is all grown up.

enree erzweglle
06-10-2005, 08:25 PM
(y) for stick: I drive and prefer a stick shift because it gives me something to do out of the ordinary. Plus, I like to rev old people into going a little faster when they're doing 10 in a 35 zone. :D

(y) for automatic: I like to be able to pull my left foot up onto the seat while I drive--can't do that with a stick.

I live in a hilly city, so that's a consideration with a stick. I slipped the clutch while quick parallel parking on a hill with traffic approaching. I wound up sliding my hood a foot or so under the hitch of the truck in front of me and it dented my poor car. That's made me think twice about two particular hills that have traffic lights at the top of them. I've been doing the stick for 20 years, though, so it would be odd not to have one.

marsdaddy
06-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Marsdaddy, over here you can get A6s with manual boxes, I think they do a 5 and 6 speed manual, or a tiptronic.
My dad's truck has a tiptronic and it's a bit shite to be honest, I only ever drive it in full auto.I saw 3 manual A6's over the weekend. I might just buy one, someday.

Funny what you said about the tiptronic. I test drove a Passat with tiptronic and thought the same. I hear the Canadians love it, though. That and the Queen.

ericlee
06-27-2005, 08:14 PM
stick shift= sports cars
automatic= luxury cars

plain and simple. I can't stand to see automatic sports cars

mp-seventythree
06-28-2005, 07:17 AM
Ericlee - so true, so true
Marsdaddy - Strange, the Canadians seem to be more into the queen than we are

BangkokB
06-28-2005, 07:22 AM
I ride on the back seat of a drunkin thai motorcycle taxi driver w/o a helmet

More spills and chills than watching a blind man aim for a pinatta

But I always like the way " I Drive Stick" rolls off my tongue

enree erzweglle
06-28-2005, 07:36 AM
stick shift= sports cars
automatic= luxury cars

plain and simple. I can't stand to see automatic sports cars
My car is a 1994 honda civic and it's a stick.
It's not a luxury car by any stretch of the imagination.
Nor is it a sports car (except for when the muffler falls off).

ericlee
06-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Nor is it a sports car (except for when the muffler falls off).

I wasn't refering to go-carts with that comment:rolleyes:

marsdaddy
06-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Nor is it a sports car (except for when the muffler falls off).We had a rule in college: if your care has a tachometer, it's a sports car. Otherwise, why do you need to know RPMs? I bet your Civic has a tach. :)