PDA

View Full Version : Beck's E-pro with b boys?

Skull
06-13-2005, 10:15 AM
I never knew that the b boys helped compose E-Pro of Beck's latest album. mind you, the dust brothers help on most of the tracks

Brother McDuff
06-13-2005, 11:13 AM
They didn't. Beck sampled "So What'Cha Want" for "Epro".

Sir SkratchaLot
06-13-2005, 12:29 PM
They didn't. Beck sampled "So What'Cha Want" for "Epro".

Beck must have gotten the drums from the master tape or something because Epro has isolated drums from What'Cha Want. If you listen to What'Cha Want there are no isolated drums. There's always organ or guitar or lyrics over em. So either the Beasties sampled those drums and Beck used the original sample (which doesn't make sense because then Beck would be crediting the original artist not the Beasties) or Beck somehow got access to the Watch'Cha Want master tape and got the isolated drum track.

boys_beastie
06-13-2005, 12:31 PM
they probably supplied him with it. i know d and beck have worked together. mayby theyre friends...

enree erzweglle
06-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Either way, I can't hear it. I don't have a fine ear for these things. Maybe if I found a way to isolate all the different tracks and then compare them, I'd hear it but I can't hear it just from listening to E-Pro. Can you? Would you have spotted the sample without the liner notes? (Just curious.)

Burnout18
06-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Either way, I can't hear it. I don't have a fine ear for these things. Maybe if I found a way to isolate all the different tracks and then compare them, I'd hear it but I can't hear it just from listening to E-Pro. Can you? Would you have spotted the sample without the liner notes? (Just curious.)

yea its soooooooo obvious

sethomas
06-13-2005, 10:34 PM
im sure becks got the software to isolate anything he wants

3stooges
06-13-2005, 11:03 PM
you can't isolate drums from a stereo track, you need the multitrack tracks. maybe he got the drums from a remix or something...or yeah, one of the beasties might have floated him the drum track. it would not be hard, they are all kinda friends far as i know.

Elusive
06-14-2005, 01:27 AM
correct me if I am wrong,
but most of that beck song's drum beat
is just one continuous loop,
which you could prolly gaph
if you had the instrumental to
whacha want, scince at the beggining few measures
there is some unaccompanied drums

although scince I know beck and beasties are if not friends
then at least good buisness associates, I'm sure
just for sound's sake they let him use the good shit.
who knows?
just a thought

Father_dougal
06-14-2005, 04:58 AM
Beck is another artist i need to own music by. But alas! I'm too poor!

boys_beastie
06-14-2005, 07:25 AM
correct me if I am wrong,
but most of that beck song's drum beat
is just one continuous loop,
which you could prolly gaph
if you had the instrumental to
whacha want, scince at the beggining few measures
there is some unaccompanied drums u could use hi-cut which cuts high frequencies out, which might just leave the drums but im not sure it'd be very succesful. he probably requested it off them, but who knows :confused: i do know that when he plays it live the drummer just plays a diff. beat instead of usin turn tables. (the second song he did live the rest of the band did actually bang a table with wine glasses and shit on :D )

Sir SkratchaLot
06-14-2005, 08:41 AM
im sure becks got the software to isolate anything he wants

There is some software out there, that I'm aware of, that could, sort of, isolate certain parts of a track depending on how it is stereo seperated and EQed. But the results are not likely to be very good. You're either going to have audible remnants of parts you don't want or you're going to be cutting parts out that you want to keep. Its a common misnomer that you can use computer software or hardware to isolate certain parts of a track or turn a vocal version into an instrumental.

Its much more likely that he got the isolated drum track from the Beasties or somebody who got it from the Beasties. There was obviously some contact there because he had to clear the sample.

Those drums are nasty though. I wonder whether that beat is something Mike D came up with. They definatley did some self-sampling on Check Your Head.

Skull
06-14-2005, 10:23 AM
I read the insde of the album cover, and it reads

"E-pro" contains an excerpt from "So What'cha Want" writen by Beastie Boys.

theres your proof, but doesnt say what part, lol

Brother McDuff
06-14-2005, 11:00 AM
There's no doubt that the boys gave Beck the isolated track. Depite all of the little tricks that they could use in the studio, i.e. low-pass filters and whatnot, they would all end up effecting the sound of the drum sound in the long run. It's no secret that Beck and the Beasties have a relationship, I doubt it was that big of a deal for them to run him off a copy of the drum track from the master.

cosmo105
06-14-2005, 12:13 PM
thread #847 on this matter

Skull
06-14-2005, 12:19 PM
There's no doubt that the boys gave Beck the isolated track. Depite all of the little tricks that they could use in the studio, i.e. low-pass filters and whatnot, they would all end up effecting the sound of the drum sound in the long run. It's no secret that Beck and the Beasties have a relationship, I doubt it was that big of a deal for them to run him off a copy of the drum track from the master.

agreed, plus remember the dust brothers help with Becks album, they made a bboys ablum, so you know, that may also be why, lol

3stooges
06-15-2005, 01:01 AM
yeah that makes it clear that that drum beat is something mike d played, they recorded it, sampled, and looped. it has to be, cause if it was sampled from some record by someone else, then the credit on the beck song would be to somebody else, not the beasties. i would hope anyway.

Sir SkratchaLot
06-15-2005, 09:27 AM
yeah that makes it clear that that drum beat is something mike d played, they recorded it, sampled, and looped. it has to be, cause if it was sampled from some record by someone else, then the credit on the beck song would be to somebody else, not the beasties. i would hope anyway.

It could also be something they just sequenced.

3stooges
06-15-2005, 07:17 PM
It could also be something they just sequenced.

well, it's possible i guess, but to me it sounds like a break, not programmed drums.

pshabi
06-15-2005, 07:53 PM
It's the fucking drumline for SoWhatchaWant. The first time I heard the song it jumped out right away and I didn't even know about the sample.

enree erzweglle
06-16-2005, 03:49 AM
It's the fucking drumline for SoWhatchaWant. The first time I heard the song it jumped out right away and I didn't even know about the sample.
How would you like to kill me slowly and painfully or quickly and just-get-it-overlingly? You're always mean to me, pshabi. Is it something I said.

Micodin
06-18-2005, 05:46 PM
It's no secret that Beck and the Beasties have a relationship

What kind of relationship are you talking about here?