PDA

View Full Version : Rate Batman Begins

abcdefz
06-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Am I obsessed? I was. Kinda am. Now I'm disappointed.

Overall, it's a good movie, and pretty solid despite some bad-to-iffy elements.

B.

icy manipulator
06-15-2005, 09:04 AM
christian bale is the shit, he was so so good in american psycho (y)

enree erzweglle
06-15-2005, 09:06 AM
I haven't seen it yet but I think it'll get a C from me just based on what I've seen in the media.

I do tend to like the Batman movies for sheer escapism. (Even though I didn't like all of the actors who have played Batman. My favorite was Michael Keaton with George Clooney as second, but only because he's so easy on the eyes.)

enree erzweglle
06-15-2005, 09:07 AM
That movie was amazing and he was fantastic in it...he's the main reason why I think Batman will wind up get a C (v. anything lower) from me. MAYBE a B just on the strength of him...

abcdefz
06-15-2005, 09:08 AM
We saw it at midnight.

Boy, are my arms tired!

*buh doom ching*

No, but seriously. I don't think I'll ever do a midnight preview again unless I'm pretty well-rested. I'm going to be dragging my butt here all day today, and it's the last day before the bosses get back and everything needs to be in order.

abcdefz
06-15-2005, 09:16 AM

This is the second best acting I've seen him do, next to his performance in Little Women. He does a very, very nice job.

marsdaddy
06-15-2005, 01:56 PM
How can we rate this if we haven't seen it yet?

abcdefz
06-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Just give it your best shot, ya big silly.

No -- rate it after you've seen it (if you ever do).

TAL
06-15-2005, 02:04 PM
*waits for July 15*

abcdefz
06-15-2005, 02:12 PM
*waits for July 15*

Seriously?

TAL
06-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Yes. I don't know why they wait with this one when Mr And Mrs Smith opened here the same day as there.

abcdefz
06-15-2005, 03:47 PM
...and it opened internationally.... huge.

Huh. Maybe they figured you folks would see right through it.

Mr Films
06-15-2005, 03:51 PM
don't have time to see this til friday and I'm excited.

early buzz seems really mixed which i like.

for example, when I saw Almost Famous- reviews were so good there was no way the movie would live up to it.

either way, I'm pumped.

Katie Holms was a bad choice though.

abcdefz
06-15-2005, 03:54 PM

...other than the fact that she's too young, she's actually fine. Had a moment or two that I really liked; one in particular you'll know when you see it. The crowd I was in responded really well to it; maybe because we'd all been so spoiled plot-wise and fact-wise that this wasn't on anyone's radar.

enree erzweglle
06-15-2005, 03:56 PM
I think this is why the movie is making me feel luke-warm.

Maybe they made a deal with her.
You get this meaty role but you have to be seen in public with Tom Cruise.
And you have to look like you like it.

Loppfessor
06-15-2005, 04:44 PM
It's out in the states already?

ToucanSpam
06-15-2005, 06:57 PM
OH MY FUCKING GOD BATMAN
OHH MY SWEET JESUS
CHRISTIAN BALE IS BATMAN OMFG
OH MY GOD THIS MOVIE WAS BETTER THAN REVENGE OF THE SITH

wavin_goodbye
06-15-2005, 10:44 PM
...other than the fact that she's too young, she's actually fine. Had a moment or two that I really liked; one in particular you'll know when you see it. The crowd I was in responded really well to it; maybe because we'd all been so spoiled plot-wise and fact-wise that this wasn't on anyone's radar.

not exactly sure what moment you are talking about....

the movie was awesome though.. i really liked it

Medellia
06-15-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm gonna see it tomorrow! :D

I'm sure it'll be really good. It's supposed to follow the comics closely. I can't wait. I bet it will be better than the first one. Plus Cillian Murphy is in it. Mmmm.

Kid Presentable
06-16-2005, 03:28 AM
Saw it.

Loved it.

Large Portion.

Yeesssss.....

abcdefz
06-16-2005, 07:31 AM
not exactly sure what moment you are talking about....

the movie was awesome though.. i really liked it

...when they were sitting in the car after Joe Chill's trial...?

I don't want to be more specific and spoil that moment for anyone.

wavin_goodbye
06-16-2005, 10:30 AM
okay that was my suspicion.. thought it would be something.. different :D

ScarySquirrel
06-16-2005, 10:34 AM
OH MY GOD THIS MOVIE WAS BETTER THAN REVENGE OF THE SITH
You say that like being better than Revenge of the Sith was going to be hard.

I haven't seen Batman Begins yet, but I will eventually. Probably next week. I refuse to see it with my two friends who are all into it because they piss me off with their damn back-and-forth comic-book chatter. Fuckin' dorks.

abcdefz
06-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Nope. The crowd I was with actually had one of its biggest, most authentic reaction in that moment(s).

...you know how silly fanboys sometimes cheer or laugh at a moment when they feel they're supposed to cheer or laugh, but the rest of the audience is completely silent, and it was clearly forced? There were more than a few of those at the midnight screening I went to. So it was kind of funny that -- in that Katie Holmes moment -- there was kind of a collective intake of air and then a laugh, and then another laugh. It was just unexpected, I think, and well done.

IDIOTSVILLE
06-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Shit

CiaoBellaXO
06-16-2005, 10:51 AM

Batman / Bateman...??

Loved him in Am. psycho....

Medellia
06-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Loved it. A ten. Best Batman movie ever. I hope they stick with Christian Bale. He was an excellent choice. It's kinda funny that they went with him, because back in 1991,92 whatever year it was, I remember seeing a preview for Newsies in the theatre before Batman Returns. And now he's Batman. (y)

DandyFop
06-17-2005, 01:46 AM
SPOILER ALERT KINDA SORTA DON'T READ IT IF YA DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE MOVIE KAY KAY GET IT???

I gave it a 7. From the beginning I was a little "uhhh" cause I was just expecting/hoping to be blown away off the bat (not with action, just with the story). These are the thing that bothered me:

-backround story in beginning was flimsy, I felt no connection with Liam Neeson's character, and that bullshit about him having a wife was just a "oh we need to share" moment
-I think the training should have been more intense, more of grinding him down to nothing before being built up again, and I would have liked to see longer shots of them actually doing stuff instead of how choppy everything was (this went for the fight scenes also, it was so fast you never knew what was happening)
-so what, he can't kill the murderer but he can put the place on fire and leave everyone else but Liam to die? lame
-The scary batman voice. What the hell? When he was yelling at the "bad cop" upside down, it was so over the top. I know the Batman's usually do the gruff voice, but it sounded ridiculous sometimes
-I wanted a few more "good deed" batman shit, but I guess he didn't really want to deal with it at that point
-Katie?? Fuck the mask bullshit! It's Batman! DO HIM! YOU DUMB WHORE!

Other than that, I really enjoyed it. All the actors were great, even though Katie Holmes was kinda pointless except for hard nipples (which were so small!) I think all the actors were well-chosen and I really hope they use them again.

---------------------------------------------------
END SPOILER EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY SAID EVERYTHING I WANTED TO SAY, I THINK, ACTUALLY I FORGOT SOME STUFF BUT OH WELL

Medellia
06-17-2005, 01:58 AM
Dumb? Yes, very. But whore? Isn't she a 26 year old virgin?

DandyFop
06-17-2005, 02:08 AM
...uh....

As you might have noticed, at times, the word "whore" is used in jest.

Medellia
06-17-2005, 02:24 AM
I know, I know. I just think it's funny that she's a twenty-six year old virgin. :D

Mr Films
06-18-2005, 12:41 AM
saw it tonight.

it was good, very well written script i thought.

although, I thought the villains plan was a bit wacky.

look out, it's the vapor that makes everything look scary!

Tzar
06-18-2005, 12:45 AM
i'll probably see it tonight.
it got a 8.5 on IMDb. that's better than ROTS and other classics.

Medellia
06-18-2005, 12:47 AM
saw it tonight.

it was good, very well written script i thought.

although, I thought the villains plan was a bit wacky.

look out, it's the vapor that makes everything look scary!
I liked how after the vapor was released and people started to freak out, there were groups wandering around like zombies. Got me all excited for Land of the Dead. :D (y)

Ferdinand_2
06-18-2005, 06:22 AM
I dont like Superhero movies

Tzar
06-18-2005, 10:06 AM
just got back from seeing it.
i gave it 7. pretty good but some little issues with it.

*SPOILERS*

i wish that the scarecrow woulda lived on so they would be a main bastard for a sequal. he seemed hell bad arse on that horse.

i like the little homage to the Joker at the end, but when you think about it - in the original, the joker killed bruce's folks, and yeah i know B.Begins isn't a prequal. but yeah, still cool.

Batman's voice was a bit too pyscho-is, like what Dandy said, i always thought of Batman as sly and devilsh, not a grunt.

alot of things were cut really quickly. like it just shot into the storyline and action (which is a good thing).

man gary oldman is looking.....old (no pun) :(

abcdefz
06-18-2005, 10:16 AM
just got back from seeing it.
i gave it 7. pretty good but some little issues with it.

*SPOILERS*

i wish that the scarecrow woulda lived on so they would be a main bastard for a sequal. he seemed hell bad arse on that horse.

i like the little homage to the Joker at the end, but when you think about it - in the original, the joker killed bruce's folks, and yeah i know B.Begins isn't a prequal. but yeah, still cool.

Batman's voice was a bit too pyscho-is, like what Dandy said, i always thought of Batman as sly and devilsh, not a grunt.

alot of things were cut really quickly. like it just shot into the storyline and action (which is a good thing).

man gary oldman is looking.....old (no pun) :(

The Joker killing Wayne's parents was a change that Burton and Koepp (?) made; it wasn't the orginal story. In the comics, it really was Joe Chill.

I sort of liked the Clint Eastwood Batman voice, in a way. He has to disguise it somehow, and I think most of us who aren't actors have trouble actually disguising our voices. Going deep and gruff makes sense in the BBegins world.

Tzar
06-18-2005, 10:20 AM
The Joker killing Wayne's parents was a change that Burton and Koepp (?) made; it wasn't the orginal story. In the comics, it really was Joe Chill.

I sort of liked the Clint Eastwood Batman voice, in a way. He has to disguise it somehow, and I think most of us who aren't actors have trouble actually disguising our voices. Going deep and gruff makes sense in the BBegins world.

i never read the comics. my bad.

i spose you're right about the disguising the voices bit. but yeah, haha i dunno! when he was hanging that cop underside down, it kinda looked cheesey.

ToucanSpam
06-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Scarecrow didn't die in the movie.

abcdefz
06-18-2005, 10:31 AM
That part was over the top.

A friend of mine really loves Marlon Brando's performance in The Formula. He's supposed to be this big, dreaded villain, and when we finally meet him, he's just calmly sitting in a chair eating M&M's (or something) from a dish on a table. My friend's point was that, if you really have power, this not a whole lot of reason to go huffing and puffing.

I'd think Batman could've just let the situation scare the dude. I mean, the guy's a human yo yo at 10 stories; no real need to raise your voice.

roosta
06-18-2005, 12:54 PM
i thought it was very, very good.

for most of the movie i thought they were going to avoid a big blockbuster villiain-threatning-the-whole-city finale but they pulled it off well.

good show

Medellia
06-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Scarecrow didn't die in the movie.
Heh, I was gonna say that. Get out of my brain!

abcdefz
06-20-2005, 04:42 AM
You know what? I saw Batman Begins again yesterday, and it was much, much better this time. There's actually more of a through-line than I'd thought, so the movie didn't seem very clunky at all this time. Maybe the fact that I was more awake helped, also.

8 out of 10. (y)

iceygirl
06-20-2005, 09:01 AM
im really upset because when we went to see it (friday night) i had opened at work the past 2 days and had 9 hours of sleep for both nights. we went to see a 9:30 show, and i accidently dozed off for a crucial 15-20 min of the movie! :mad:
pissed pissed pissed i am

abcdefz
06-20-2005, 09:03 AM
My first viewing was at a midnight showing, and I was pretty darned tired throughout. That's kind of why I went to see it again.

Plus, it's Christopher Nolan -- I had to give it a second chance.

iceygirl
06-20-2005, 09:06 AM
we are going to go see it again, maybe tomorrow cuz i have the day off, but i was so angry about that cuz it wasnt like it was just some matinee cheap seats showing to a movie i didnt care much about in the first place

plus we rearranged our plans so that another group of people could join our group, so we could all go together, and they were late getting here so we had to push the showing back

ah well, ill see it eventually, but its never the same as the rush of seeing something for the first time

abcdefz
06-20-2005, 09:13 AM
...what part did you miss?

iceygirl
06-20-2005, 09:21 AM
...what part did you miss?

the last thing i remember clearly is katie (i was so tired i cant recall her characters name :() getting drugged with that gas and batman brinigng her back to his place. i dont remember him giving her the serum to counteract it to give to gary oldman though. after that i was in and out of sleep for a period of time, and didnt come back to until the shit was completely hitting the fan and liam nissan was back around.

abcdefz
06-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Oh my.

Basically, Batman takes Rachel back to the Batcave and gives her a Batmassage until the serum wears off. Being very thankful, Rachel proceeds to write out her family's closely guarded German chocolate cake recipe in longhand. Being overwhelmed with gratitude, Batman loans Rachel his favorite Sun Ra album on vinyl and they throw it on the Battable. The hallucinations quickly return -- and that's about when you came back in.

Nuzzolese
06-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Remember watching the Bourne Supremacy and getting the feeling that there were some pretty good fight sequences going on, you just weren't privy to them because someone had attached the camera to one of the participants elbows for the duration of the scene?

abcdefz
06-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeah -- Bourne Supes was too shaky and unfocussed.

I think some of the fights in BBegins should have been clearer -- basically, all the Bruce Wayne fights and anything when Batman wasn't doing the strike-from-shadows stuff. But I really liked the warehouse sequence. It'll be interesting to stop-frame that on DVD.

That, and a couple of the hallucinations. The one where Batman hallucinates -- Scarecrow has maggots all over his face, and something coming out of his mouth. I'm betting it's a bat coming out of his mouth (it would fit and pervert the vaginal birth imagery we've got elsewhere).

King PSYZ
06-20-2005, 03:19 PM
yes that was a bat coming out of scarecrows mouth
and i love they didn't kill off the villans.

before you say but what about rahs al ghul in the firery train of doom, according to the batman mythos rahs is quite the old man and uses some ancient mythological crap to stay alive. if they keep him around manipulating the lower villans to do his work he could be the best movie villan.

i thought killing all the villans in the previous batmans was a huge mistake. this allows for any of them to come back at will. just like the comics.

ToucanSpam
06-20-2005, 03:22 PM
i thought killing all the villans in the previous batmans

Joker-dead
Penguin-dead
Catwoman- not quite sure
Riddler-Arkham
Two/Face-dead
Freeze-Arkham
Ivy-Arkham

Not all of em are dead sonny. (lb)

King PSYZ
06-20-2005, 03:23 PM
ok, all the decent ones. smartass and i'm older than you.:p

ToucanSpam
06-20-2005, 03:27 PM
ok, all the decent ones. smartass and i'm older than you.:p
false true and true.

Anyways, Ivy Catwoman Freeze Ra's Al Ghul Scarecrow and Riddler are great!! Remember, they still have Clayface, the Killer Croc, Catman, Polka Dot man, uh there shoudl be more. OK the last two are not so much good Batman enemies..........WAIT Man-Bat!!! Plus, crossover comic bad guys!! Lex Luthor, Solomon Grundy, cmon tonnes of baddies left to fight.

roosta
06-20-2005, 03:32 PM
i wonder whos gonna have the balls to take on the joker after nicholson...

abcdefz
06-20-2005, 03:36 PM
If they're casting by physical type, I want Mackenzie Crook.

If they're willing to get someone paunchier, I want Joey Pantoliano.

ToucanSpam
06-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Mark Hamill has done the voice since the animated series........hmmm.....

The Joker/Luke Skywalker mix...................no.......dont let me think, or ill post like 100 times about this.

King PSYZ
06-20-2005, 03:51 PM
i think adrian brody would be an excellent joker myself.

ToucanSpam
06-20-2005, 03:54 PM
i think adrian brody would be an excellent joker myself.
nice. He would (lb)

abcdefz
06-20-2005, 03:55 PM
His performance in the Village made him a few notches lower in my, uh, book. That was an awful performance.

ToucanSpam
06-20-2005, 03:56 PM
He has the physical appearance of the Joker though. All he needs is a maniacal laugh.

King PSYZ
06-20-2005, 03:57 PM
yes it was a horrible movie all in all and brought everyone in it down with the film.

but i think he has the right look and could pull it off

abcdefz
06-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Mackenzie Crook, I says!

ToucanSpam
06-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Mackenzie Crook, I says!
Google'd. Is he any good though?

King PSYZ
06-20-2005, 04:01 PM
from what i understand they wrote this film as the first act. the scarecrow's hallucinatory drug set Jack Napier off. if he got a concentrated dose more than likely escaping arkham and didn't get the serum because he's still at large then it would be possible to set him into a full blown psychosis.

as to a secondary if at all villan who knows? maybe the Joker freeing scarecrow and having him produce an altered version of the hallucinigen?

ToucanSpam
06-20-2005, 04:05 PM
I am thinking the Scarecrow and Clayface is the next movie.

abcdefz
06-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Google'd. Is he any good though?

Excellent. I just haven't seen him exactly in that role, but he deserves a screen test.

He was one of the leads in The Office. He has a very, very creepy perversity about him.

Also, a supporting dude in Pirates of the Carribean. The one with the wood eye. Tiny part in Finding Neverland.

ToucanSpam
06-20-2005, 04:09 PM
He was one of the leads in The Office. He has a very, very creepy perversity about him.

Also, a supporting dude in Pirates of the Carribean. The one with the wood eye. Tiny part in Finding Neverland.

Ragetti is the pirate you were looking for.

Hmmm maybe....Maybe Jack will do it again......but still, Scarecrow was awomse in this movie.

King PSYZ
06-20-2005, 04:34 PM
I am thinking the Scarecrow and Clayface is the next movie.
well since they already set up the joker he's gotta be in it

King PSYZ
06-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Maybe Jack will do it again
fuck no, he was such a horrible choice for that part.

ToucanSpam
06-20-2005, 04:51 PM
fuck no, he was such a horrible choice for that part.
please explain, i want to hear an opinion that goes against the grain! (lb)

King PSYZ
06-20-2005, 05:12 PM
one, too pudgy. joker has always been lanky and just manaically creepy. jack was over the top but in all the wrong ways.

two, joker is funny but I just wasn't feeling terror when I saw the character on screen. he's supposed to make the clowns that made you piss your pants as a kid look like care bears.

three, jack was too big for the part so we got the joker as jack nicholson.

adrian brody while a popular actor isn't so huge his ego would overpower the film. and while I don't know of the guy atoz mentioned. that might be the best possible choice in the end. someone most aren't aware of here to throw everyone off.

as far as batman growling and such. i thought it was perfect. seems the writers and bale understood that batman needs to use stealth and fear to get his job done. yes he's a detective, but he also grew into that role by studying the habits of the criminals. it also makes me not mind seeing him fighting all that much. I prefer the shadows and quick flashes to set the mood that makes him effective.

ToucanSpam
06-20-2005, 07:21 PM
one, too pudgy. joker has always been lanky and just manaically creepy. jack was over the top but in all the wrong ways.

two, joker is funny but I just wasn't feeling terror when I saw the character on screen. he's supposed to make the clowns that made you piss your pants as a kid look like care bears.

three, jack was too big for the part so we got the joker as jack nicholson.

adrian brody while a popular actor isn't so huge his ego would overpower the film. and while I don't know of the guy atoz mentioned. that might be the best possible choice in the end. someone most aren't aware of here to throw everyone off.

as far as batman growling and such. i thought it was perfect. seems the writers and bale understood that batman needs to use stealth and fear to get his job done. yes he's a detective, but he also grew into that role by studying the habits of the criminals. it also makes me not mind seeing him fighting all that much. I prefer the shadows and quick flashes to set the mood that makes him effective.

Thanks for putting time and effort into posting this. (lb)

Gareth
06-20-2005, 08:02 PM
the fight scenes were ass. but otherwise i liked it.

ms.peachy
06-25-2005, 05:22 PM
OK finally just saw this. I gave it an 8. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

Visually I thought it was great, and for the most part I enjoyed the story too. It was nice seeing a film that was not only a spectacle but that also had a plot just complicated enough to keep me on my toes, and didn't spell everything out for me like I was some kind of idiot.

The things that kept it out of the 9-10 range for me were as follows (some of which I know have already been mentioned, but humour me):

- Cillian Murphy as Scarecrow. Now, I have no problem with him per se, and I think he did as well as anybody in terms of acting. However, I had a hard time accepting him as having any kind of authority as not just a doctor but a guy who is the head of the bloody asylum and running the whole show, as he looks like he maybe graduated from university like a week ago. This part should have gone to a slightly older actor with more gravitas, IMO. Plus, every time he was on screen, I just kept thinking "My gosh but he's got an awful lot of eyeliner."

- Micheal Caine was a shade too "cheeky chappie". I would have liked to have seen that character as a bit more droll, dry, and deadpan. After all there is no reason Bruce and Alfred need to be portrayed as mates that might hang out down at the pub together, you know? Alfred should have more of a cool reserve about him. Again - IMO.

- The last scene between Bruce and whatsherface seemed contrived - the dialogue came across to me as a bit stilted. There did need to be a conversation between them to 'tie up' things, but that scene just kind of jarred.

- At no point is it mentioned how Bruce develops his amazing ability to fight off a dozen Bhutanese prison thugs in one go. We learn of everything else of his development, how he 'dropped out' and learned the ways of the criminal etc etc but no mention of any martial arts training. Personally I think all they would have had to do is have Bruce or Alfred mention something about 'the Judo club' or something when Alfred is asking about his time at Princeton, and that would have sorted it really.

None of those criticisms however kept me from enjoying myself and enjoying the film in any significant way though. So, as I said, an 8.

King PSYZ
06-25-2005, 05:40 PM
well as far as i know from batman mythos part of his delving into the underworld included stints under different martial arts masters.
the league of shadows was basicly what took all that training and focused into one solitary style of combat.

King PSYZ
06-25-2005, 05:40 PM
oh yeah, word is surfacing that they're going for sean penn as the joker!

ToucanSpam
06-25-2005, 11:51 PM
they are also dumping Katie Holmes for a stronger actress.

Medellia
06-26-2005, 12:02 AM
oh yeah, word is surfacing that they're going for sean penn as the joker!
I've heard they're trying to get either Sean Penn or Tim Roth. Please Tim Roth, please! *crosses fingers*

Catwoman- not quite sure
Spammy, Catwoman most certainly survived. At the end of the film they show her on top of one of the buildings.

King PSYZ
06-26-2005, 12:29 AM
i still say adrian brody or sean penn

Medellia
06-26-2005, 12:30 AM
I kinda hope someone decides to make Catwoman again, but only if they do it right. And Halle Berry can't do it this time.

enree erzweglle
06-26-2005, 07:20 PM
We saw this because Crash wasn't showing til later.

I didn't love it. But I'm a sucker for lone do-gooder types,
so it was still fun to watch Batman and
particularly Christian Bale playing him.

It didn't feel quite like a Batman movie.
I didn't like the whole ninja warriors feel to the first quarter of the movie and the undertone of it throughout the rest of it.

Dunno...would rather have had him discover his destiny in some way that would have more incorporated that somber, Gotham mood.

No chemistry between Katie Holmes & Christian Bale.
I thought she was flat.

Here are two things I enjoyed:

First thing: I loved the way Christian Bale fell into doing his push-ups.
Good moment & I won't forget that.

Second thing: I didn't know about any of the major stars in Batman until tonight. THAT was a treat.
There were some good surprises when big-actor faces popped up. Nice.

(I am a movie fan...I usually see a good number of movies on their opening night. But I've been heavily involved in two personal projects that have taken most of my free time for the last several months. So, I've pretty much kept out of theaters.)

Overall, a C.
Maybe a C+ because of the list of actors and the push-ups.

enree erzweglle
06-26-2005, 09:23 PM
can't touch Spiderman!

:D
I enjoyed both Spiderman movies.
For a long while, I thought that was just because of the company I kept when I saw them. Sometimes that makes or breaks a movie. But I've decided that it was that and the fact that the movies were just really well done.

Even though I don't particularly like Kirsten Dunst, the chemistry between her and Spidey was undeniable, nearly palpable. Great, exciting plot--well-written/acted, and the funny bits didn't feel contrived.

(In Batman Begins, some of the one-liners felt like they were thrown in after the fact just for effect or maybe just to amp up the trailers and excite the audience.)

TAL
07-08-2005, 12:05 PM
I just got home from buying 3 tickets for tonight. As the girl handed me the tickets I noticed that she put something under them. And I could feel that there was something else besides tickets in my hand, but I didn't look until I was walking out. It was condoms. Three small packages with movie ads on either side (one Finnish movie and Lords Of Dogtown) with one condom inside.

In two hours I will see the movie. It's been good so far.

abcdefz
07-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Hope you like it. (y)

Beckalina
07-08-2005, 01:01 PM
I really enjoyed Batman Begins, probably because i wasn't expecting it to be that great, but it was rather enjoyable, beee-yeeessss

Yeti
07-08-2005, 01:45 PM
I am going to see it this weekend. I finally watched the Machinist last night. I enjoyed the film but I enjoyed the commentary by Brad Anderson even more. I have a new respect for Christian Bale. I did not even realize that he is Welsh and has an accent. I look forward to Batman.......who is the villian?

cosmo105
07-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Katie Holmes = horrible, horrible actress that looks like an 80-year-old woman that's had a zillion facelifts. there's just something not right with her jowls.

the movie had its moments. i really enjoyed Christian Bale. he was a great choice. i think he did the role justice. but i had a hard time believing his ANGSTY ANGER some of the time.

i can't believe that was Gary Oldman as Gordon. man, i love him.

beastieangel01
07-08-2005, 01:52 PM
SPOILER ALERT KINDA SORTA DON'T READ IT IF YA DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE MOVIE KAY KAY GET IT???

I gave it a 7. From the beginning I was a little "uhhh" cause I was just expecting/hoping to be blown away off the bat (not with action, just with the story). These are the thing that bothered me:

-backround story in beginning was flimsy, I felt no connection with Liam Neeson's character, and that bullshit about him having a wife was just a "oh we need to share" moment
-I think the training should have been more intense, more of grinding him down to nothing before being built up again, and I would have liked to see longer shots of them actually doing stuff instead of how choppy everything was (this went for the fight scenes also, it was so fast you never knew what was happening)
-so what, he can't kill the murderer but he can put the place on fire and leave everyone else but Liam to die? lame
-The scary batman voice. What the hell? When he was yelling at the "bad cop" upside down, it was so over the top. I know the Batman's usually do the gruff voice, but it sounded ridiculous sometimes
-I wanted a few more "good deed" batman shit, but I guess he didn't really want to deal with it at that point

Other than that, I really enjoyed it. All the actors were great, even though Katie Holmes was kinda pointless except for hard nipples (which were so small!) I think all the actors were well-chosen and I really hope they use them again.

---------------------------------------------------
END SPOILER EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY SAID EVERYTHING I WANTED TO SAY, I THINK, ACTUALLY I FORGOT SOME STUFF BUT OH WELL

I pretty much agree. I also think the movie was taking itself too seriously, I would have enjoyed it a bit more otherwise.

cosmo105
07-08-2005, 01:54 PM
haha yeah katie holmes' nipples were quite BAM out there.

one thing i must mention: the extreme closeup action shots are annoying. all you see is appendages flying. it's impossible to keep up or know what's going on or who's beating which ass. PAN OUT A LITTLE!

i kinda kept thinking "Christian's totally gonna slice a hooker in two in a minute"

TAL
07-08-2005, 04:25 PM
^
I see you decided to post my thoughts. Closeup fighting makes for bad viewing. Hard nipples are fun.

Seems like everyone who bought tickets for Batman got condoms. So I wasn't that special after all.

Oh yeah, I liked the movie very much.

Oh yeah the sequel: Right, how about not making it so obvious next time?

Documad
07-09-2005, 10:07 PM
So I finally saw it. I hadn't heard anything and I liked it a lot. A good solid action movie. I've never read the comics. (I also don't remember ever giving a thumbs up to a comic book movie before.)

Lord, I loved Mr. Bale. I never believed the other Batmans for a second. I loved his voice. I was fine with the hanging upside down thing. I liked that he didn't get his outfit right the first time.

I'm happy they got a solid supporting cast.

I was a bit disappointed with the end. I didn't like the plot in that part and didn't get the supposed science and how it was limited in scope.

I would have liked to see longer shots of them actually doing stuff instead of how choppy everything was (this went for the fight scenes also, it was so fast you never knew what was happening)
This was my big gripe. Especially in the last fight. Will we ever see a big movie with a one on one fight where you feel for a moment that someone is in danger? If Jackie Chan can still stage a good fight at his age, why can't Hollywood? Nuzz's remark about cameras mounted on the actors is spot on.

P.S. Jack Nicholson was perfectly foul as the Joker. And I'm a huge fan of Jack.

enree erzweglle
07-10-2005, 05:23 AM
I also don't remember ever giving a thumbs up to a comic book movie before.
Having raised a boy, I've seen most of the comics->movies movies from the last 20 years. Some were good; most were just Jujubes Movies--movies to see with the express purpose of sorting through, prioritizing the colors of, and then eating Jujubes in particular order while trying to make it look like I was engrossed in and impressed with the movie itself.

Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-movie type movies--sometimes we'd see those twice; I got good at sorting in the dark. If we saw particular ones a third time, I'd shoot them into the air and try to catch them ala Elaine Bennis when she repeat-watched The English Patient. Fourth time viewings--I'd fling them at my kid sideways hoping to make contact with his head.

The only comic book movies that I liked were the Spiderman movies and also, like a-z said, I thought Unbreakable was good. I didn't know anything about that movie going into it and I liked it a lot. But I was in the minority. People were laughing at it throughout when we saw it.

Batman Begins is one of those movies that, after you see it, resonates a bit more. The plot didn't gain any real post-movie points with me; nor did Katie Holmes' performance, but I found myself remembering bits and pieces of Christian Bale that I liked more as time went on. I wouldn't see it again, though without a box or two of Jujubes.

marsdaddy
07-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Both mrs. marsdaddy and I enjoyed it. And yeah, maybe they're making a sequel, or maybe, they're just laughing with us, because we all know what happens next -- BAM! POW! SPLAT! :)

I thought it was very plausible -- as far as comic book characters go -- and well acted. scripted, thought out. Holmes didn't bother me, at all -- her nipples are not that noticeable, and if I hadn't read about them on here, probably would have slipped past me. Bale was really good, as was Wilkerson, Caine, and Oldman. I agree that action sequences are too choppy nowadays, but that goes for any movie I've seen -- not just this one.

Oh, and we saw it with a box on Junior mints and a bag of milk chocolate M&M's.

jdawg77
07-29-2005, 08:19 PM
I know this thread is old but I have not been here in awhile so deal :) I enjoyed the new Batman movie. How can you not like Christian Bale, American Psycho was the shit. I am a huge Batman fan though, plus the ScareCrow is one awesome villian....