PDA

View Full Version : i just had a look at the general political discussion

zorra_chiflada
06-27-2005, 06:52 AM
and noticed that there are quite a few, right-wing, republican loving, god-fearing backwater hicks there.
are these folks for real? at first i thought, of course not. this is a fan board for the beastie boys, and those kind of creatures wouldn't listen to the beastie boys. but maybe they are?
who here frequents the political forum and has an opinion about this? i find it perplexing.

P of R
06-27-2005, 06:54 AM
Sadly I think they are for real.

And I don't think they're all into the Bboys. They're just trying to "convert some commies" or something.

zorra_chiflada
06-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Sadly I think they are for real.

And I don't think they're all into the Bboys. They're just trying to "convert some commies" or something.

oh really? looking out for "the reds under the bed"?
how lame. they should go back to sitting on their porch and going to church or whatever the fuck they do.

ms.peachy
06-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Who knows why they go there? I've ceased to care very much. I used to enjoy that forum a bit but I hardly ever go in there any more as there is almost never any real 'discussion' that goes on in there, just a handful of egomaniacal extremists digging in their heels and screaming for attention. There are a handful of decent folks in there who are capable of rational discourse, and occasionally there is a thread that becomes an interesting exchange of views, but mostly it's a big screechy circle jerk.

Rancid_Beasties
06-27-2005, 06:57 AM
and noticed that there are quite a few, right-wing, republican loving, god-fearing backwater hicks there.
are these folks for real? at first i thought, of course not. this is a fan board for the beastie boys, and those kind of creatures wouldn't listen to the beastie boys. but maybe they are?
who here frequents the political forum and has an opinion about this? i find it perplexing.

I have oft thought the same thing. But then when I asked them about it, they said some bullshit like "ohh I liked the beastie boys when they were a-political like around LTI and PB". I think they are all feds spying on us making lists of all the commies so they can arrest them and beat the info out of them re osama and such bullshit.

zorra_chiflada
06-27-2005, 06:59 AM
I think they are all feds spying on us making lists of all the commies so they can arrest them and beat the info out of them re osama and such bullshit.

i wouldn't be surprised.

Qdrop
06-27-2005, 07:07 AM
there are actually only 2 GOP lovers on that section: gmsisko and valvano.

that's really it.

i'm not sure what you are talking about....

that section is 95% liberal cirlce jerking....

with just a few like myself who are centrists or independants...

zorra_chiflada
06-27-2005, 07:10 AM

that's really it.

i'm not sure what you are talking about....

that section is 95% liberal cirlce jerking....

with just a few like myself who are centrists or independants...

oh, i thought there were more. but i've never posted there or anything, so i'm no authority. i just had a glance at a few threads, and was very surprised at the far-right opinions of a few folks - and equally surprised that people would bother replying to them.

Rancid_Beasties
06-27-2005, 07:13 AM
But they totally spam every thread. And if you just went in there once, you could misinterpret a few other people as being more right wing than they actually are (hint, hint ;))

zorra_chiflada
06-27-2005, 07:15 AM
i need to get zount back in there and posting.

avignon
06-27-2005, 07:18 AM
I don't go in there. I always assumed that it was just Qdrop shouting at everyone.

Documad
06-27-2005, 07:27 AM
It's funny to me because there are so many smart people on this board who have interesting perspectives and seems like only a couple of them post in there. I don't think it's because of any of the frequent posters' political philosophy really. For me, it's the posting style. People either just call you an idiot, or they spam you with shit they read on some other site. And if you seriously ask them a question that defeats their argument, they just pretend not to see it.

I belong to one other music board where the members are not anywhere near as smart as the people here, but their political forum is 10 times better. You get personal opinions and personal experience, and even some humor.

zorra_chiflada
06-27-2005, 07:30 AM
It's funny to me because there are so many smart people on this board who have interesting perspectives and seems like only a couple of them post in there. I don't think it's because of any of the frequent posters' political philosophy really. For me, it's the posting style. People either just call you an idiot, or they spam you with shit they read on some other site. And if you seriously ask them a question that defeats their argument, they just pretend not to see it.

I belong to one other music board where the members are not anywhere near as smart as the people here, but their political forum is 10 times better. You get personal opinions and personal experience, and even some humor.

i know what you mean. i have very strong political opinions and can contribute to in-depth political discussions in real life, but i avoid the political forum like the plague. mostly because i know that i can't defend myself in that kind of argument, with quotes and sources and stuff like that.

Documad
06-27-2005, 07:39 AM
i know what you mean. i have very strong political opinions and can contribute to in-depth political discussions in real life, but i avoid the political forum like the plague. mostly because i know that i can't defend myself in that kind of argument, with quotes and sources and stuff like that.
There are quotes and sources from crap internet sites that support any position. It's not interesting. It's not readable. I would never cite them myself.

I'd rather hear the heartfelt opinions and personal experience of smart people from all over the world. It's a real shame we can't have that here.

ms.peachy
06-27-2005, 07:39 AM
It just gets really annoying in there. I've realised I much prefer arguing politics and setting the world to rights in person with my mates down at the pub, anyway - you can fight and slag eachother off, and then go buy a round and all's well. Plus also then people have to look you in the eyes when they say stuff and actually be able to defend their position on the spot, which is something most of the people on the bbp couldn't bear to do, even if they did manage to a) muster up the guts to crawl away from the computer and out of their parent's basement and b) find some actual mates to go to the pub with.

Rancid_Beasties
06-27-2005, 07:40 AM
i know what you mean.
No. You really don't. Wheres the evidence of you knowing. Write me a report or quote a reputable source :mad:

i have very strong political opinions
Pfft. Pinko.

the plague.
Never happened. Show me the photos. Show me the primary evidence. You need to earn my respect with copius amounts of quotes from websites before I believe anything you say! Idiot!

stuff like that.
This is just another reason why nothing you say has any validity. This is not a forum you should enter lightly. Everything you say is under scrutiny. "Stuff" is not an appropriate word unless you hyperlink it to a site/thesis explaining that "stuff" :mad:

:D

zorra_chiflada
06-27-2005, 07:43 AM
^HAHAHAH!! that was a very good impression!

Qdrop
06-27-2005, 07:44 AM
I don't go in there. I always assumed that it was just Qdrop shouting at everyone.

and what happens when you assume?....

Qdrop
06-27-2005, 07:45 AM
i have very strong political opinions and can contribute to in-depth political discussions in real life,

then you should be able to do this:

defend myself in that kind of argument, with quotes and sources and stuff like that.

avignon
06-27-2005, 07:45 AM
I find out later that my assumption was correct?

Documad
06-27-2005, 07:46 AM
It just gets really annoying in there. I've realised I much prefer arguing politics and setting the world to rights in person with my mates down at the pub, anyway - you can fight and slag eachother off, and then go buy a round and all's well. Plus also then people have to look you in the eyes when they say stuff and actually be able to defend their position on the spot, which is something most of the people on the bbp couldn't bear to do, even if they did manage to a) muster up the guts to crawl away from the computer and out of their parent's basement and b) find some actual mates to go to the pub with.
I don't want to be mean, but since you know them better than I do: I get an image in my mind of a spotty teen boy who doesn't dare raise his hand in class and argue a point with a teacher, but who listens to talk radio or browses internet sites and copies something someone else said.

There are some really interesting people who do post in there though. I don't know how they put up with it.

I have lots of friends to discuss world events with, but it would be fun to hear from people from other countries.

Qdrop
06-27-2005, 07:47 AM
There are quotes and sources from crap internet sites that support any position. It's not interesting. It's not readable. I would never cite them myself.

I'd rather hear the heartfelt opinions and personal experience of smart people from all over the world. It's a real shame we can't have that here.

it's called VALIDITY.
it's essential. otherwise, what makes your stance any more worth while than the next blowhard.

you need facts and sources....you need to do research...

zorra_chiflada
06-27-2005, 07:50 AM
it's called VALIDITY.
it's essential. otherwise, what makes your stance any more worth while than the next blowhard.

yeah, but what documad was saying, was that just because there is a "source" on the internet, doesn't make it valid, y'know?

synch
06-27-2005, 07:51 AM
At first I thought it was interesting to exchange views with people, educational even.

It's too bad that some people tend to use texts that prove them right as the law instead of looking at the facts, figures and/or independant sources.

In a discussion about abortions anything quoted from the bible or www.women-who-have-abortions-will-rot-in-hell.com has absolutely zero meaning to me.

avignon
06-27-2005, 07:54 AM
I don't understand why someone can't just simply state their views, express their opinions about issues without quoting sources. Most of my opinions don't come from resources. Certain discussions can invoke thoughts or ideas or feelings about topics without me spending hours of research justifying my response. Does this make the respond less "valid"?

ms.peachy
06-27-2005, 07:55 AM
I don't want to be mean, but since you know them better than I do: I get an image in my mind of a spotty teen boy who doesn't dare raise his hand in class and argue a point with a teacher, but who listens to talk radio or browses internet sites and copies something someone else said.

There are some really interesting people who do post in there though. I don't know how they put up with it.

I have lots of friends to discuss world events with, but it would be fun to hear from people from other countries.
Well obviously I was overgeneralising a bit, but yeah I do get the feeling that that's pretty accurate for a good percentge of the regular inhabitants - your description seems pretty apt really.

There are of course some very interesting people in there as well to be sure, it's just that sometimes (usually) you have to put on hip waders to get through to the really thought-provoking posts.

I guess I am lucky in that since I live in a place where people from all of the world come together, I can get that kind of perspective you're talking about in everyday situations. But I can see how if that wasn't the case it would be nice to be able to have proper political discussions with people from other places here at the bb site. Unfortunately though, it just seems sometimes like its a pack of rabid dogs in the political forum much of the time.

Rancid_Beasties
06-27-2005, 08:01 AM
it's called VALIDITY.

An opinion doesnt need to be validated. Its an opinion. Its not fact. A fact needs validity. Not an opinion. Just for you political forumers :) (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=opinion)

I personally would rather hear peoples opinions than be bombarded with statistics. I hate statistics. They are boring and objective. They dont take into account the human factors. I prefer to hear about peoples passions towards certain injustices, for certain causes, etc rather than knowing about the exact numbers regarding those injustices. It might just be me though.

synch
06-27-2005, 08:04 AM
I find that many of the arguments are less about politics and more about religion and morals.
Unfortunatly the distinction between religion and politics has faded lately.

synch
06-27-2005, 08:06 AM
You are wrong and I'll tell you why.

I miss atoz :(

ms.peachy
06-27-2005, 08:07 AM
An opinion doesnt need to be validated. Its an opinion. Its not fact. A fact needs validity. Not an opinion.
The problem is that an awful lot of people are incapable of differentiating between what is factual, and what is simply their opinion.

Personally I find it much easier to respect someone's opinion if they can substantiate to some degree why they hold it. I don't have to agree with them, but if they can't at least give me some basis for the opinion they hold, then there is nothing to discuss, and then what is the fucking point of being in a discussion forum if you have nothing to dicuss, if you just want to say "Well, that's my opinion and that's the end of it"?

Documad
06-27-2005, 08:10 AM
I don't understand why someone can't just simply state their views, express their opinions about issues without quoting sources. Most of my opinions don't come from resources. Certain discussions can invoke thoughts or ideas or feelings about topics without me spending hours of resources justifying my response. Does this make the respond less "valid"?
EXACTLY! We can talk about personal opinions and what we think public policy should be based upon our individual backgrounds, education, and experience. That's what a discussion is. That would be interesting.

I am not interested in the kind of exchange where we just post alleged "factual" information with cites to statistics from some "source". Zorra is smart. She lives in a place that is very different from where I live. Her perspective would be interesting.

My brothers and I have vigorous debates without statistics. It's the PUBLIC POLICY that interests me. My best friend has a very different background and education from me. When she says, "as the mother of a 3 year old who is going to have to go to public school in the inner city I care about . . . . " I listen and learn and discuss without making her cite a study. I'd like to hear "as a citizen of some country other than the US, I think . . . . " Or, "as a citizen of the southern US . . . ." NOT "some blog sent me this email".

On the other hand, it's a good thing I'm not more tempted to post in there because it could possibly get me in trouble at my job. :)

Rancid_Beasties
06-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Even with an opinion, if you are going to state it so vehemently AND defend it as so many of them do over there, you should have your reasons in place.

If you want to debate, you cant just tell someone "you're wrong" and when they ask why, rebutt with "cause I say so". Well you could, if your going for the complete imbecile look.

You HAVE to have facts to back up your argument, if not, then prepare to be shot down. That is the way of the world of debate.

Ohh no thats not what I meant. You're reading me wrong. I meant that statistics are so rigid. I enjoy debating and arguing much better when you base your opinions on what you have seen, on what you believe. Not on financial statistics, website reports etc. I enjoy reading what people believe and why. I just dont want to know why their opinion is "right" according to bucketloads of statistics and reports. It just seems arrogant and closed minded to me.

Rancid_Beasties
06-27-2005, 08:14 AM
EXACTLY! We can talk about personal opinions and what we think public policy should be based upon our individual backgrounds, education, and experience. That's what a discussion is. That would be interesting.

I am not interested in the kind of exchange where we just post alleged "factual" information with cites to statistics from some "source". Zorra is smart. She lives in a place that is very different from where I live. Her perspective would be interesting.

My brothers and I have vigorous debates without statistics. It's the PUBLIC POLICY that interests me. My best friend has a very different background and education from me. When she says, "as the mother of a 3 year old who is going to have to go to public school in the inner city I care about . . . . " I listen and learn and discuss without making her cite a study. I'd like to hear "as a citizen of some country other than the US, I think . . . . " Or, "as a citizen of the southern US . . . ." NOT "some blog sent me this email".

On the other hand, it's a good thing I'm not more tempted to post in there because it could possibly get me in trouble at my job. :)

Yes!!! Thats what i meant but in much clearer form (y)

avignon
06-27-2005, 08:19 AM
Yes!!! Thats what i meant but in much clearer form (y)
Was thinking the same thing. (y)
There are so many people here from so many different backgrounds. I love to hear what they feel and think and experience. In BFG, they share whatever thoughts they are having at the moment without there being a "topic" forum heading--so you get all kinds of stuff, but there have been very deep discussions in here about any number of things. I like it. And I like everyone here, even the ones whose opinions I don't share. Takes all kinds.

BGirl
06-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Documad, Avignon... when it comes to political discussions (as opposed to philosophical - and philosophy does play into politics) it's important for opinions to be based on facts.

For instance, the Iraq war. Not here, but on another board I was the only person carrying on the anti-war side of the debate (for most of 2003 and on into 2004 - as 2004 wore on more people started speaking up against Bush but for a long while it was lonely going for me). Now, I didn't have evidence that Bush was lying about WMDs per se BUT having learned some facts about the way he conducted himself as governor of Texas, and having followed the activities of him and his administration after he became president, I felt pretty sure of my opinion that they're a bunch of lying, immoral criminals - based on the facts that I knew.

On the other hand, there were people on the other side of the debate who hadn't done any looking into the facts and even flat-out said that they would always support Bush no matter what. You need to be ready to change your opinion when new facts come to light. These people refuse to. They're welcome to their opinion but their opinion - when it comes to politics - doesn't mean much when it's based on their pure faith and beliefs.

Does this make any sense? I wish I had some better examples etc. but I'm still waking up. :)

zorra_chiflada
06-27-2005, 08:50 AM
from what i can understand avignon and documad are not against the presentation of factual information, but citing random web sites as valid sources

BGirl
06-27-2005, 08:56 AM
Well, both seemed to be saying they prefer discussions where people just present their own opinions. But in political discussions facts & reliable sources are very important. I'm sure they agree. :)

Documad is saying she prefers discussions about public policy - I think that means she prefers more purely philosophical discussions. Of course policy needs to be informed by facts too, but when talking pure policy, personal beliefs and philosophy play more of a role I think.

King PSYZ
06-27-2005, 09:02 AM
i see this thread looking a lot like the ones down in that forum by the end of the day

Rancid_Beasties
06-27-2005, 09:03 AM
i see this thread looking a lot like the ones down in that forum by the end of the day
Its all text on a screen with pretty colours to me (y)

Qdrop
06-27-2005, 09:04 AM
You need to be ready to change your opinion when new facts come to light. These people refuse to. They're welcome to their opinion but their opinion - when it comes to politics - doesn't mean much when it's based on their pure faith and beliefs.

well put.

i hate statistics too....i'm very skeptical of virtually all statistics, for a myriad of reasons.

but i think it is very important to research yo opinions/questions...find reliable sources by knowledgable experts who can back up or dispute an opinion.

if we are arguing about the moon....and i look up some studies from MIT about the moon that back up what i'm saying...that DOES give my opinion more validity than someone who says "look, i don't need studies or anything...i look at the moon everynight...that's all i need".

there are many people in this world who know alot more than us about a variety of topics....it's important that we look at them as sources and take in what they say...and present it to others.

knowledge sharing...

Loppfessor
06-27-2005, 09:09 AM
I wonder if the other boards have threads dedicated to what's going on in BF

Rancid_Beasties
06-27-2005, 09:10 AM
So many of those "knowledgable" sources are biased though, towards the company that funds the research, towards the participants own political beliefs etc. Sometimes I just enjoy throwing up hypotheticals, you know being philosophical and stuff. And that shit just doesnt fly in the political forum. You can't just know whats happening in politics, as far as important events and decisions go, you have to know specifics. I dont want to waste my time trying A)to find statistics/studies to back up my beliefs and B)making sure they are valid and unbiased. I'd much rather have a discussion on general events and political beliefs than specific studies etc.

Tzar
06-27-2005, 09:17 AM
i can picture this too. :D
for the record, i dun go in there either. i know sweet fuck all about any politics. 'cept for what the RATM dvds show me.

Qdrop
06-27-2005, 09:23 AM
So many of those "knowledgable" sources are biased though, towards the company that funds the research, towards the participants own political beliefs etc. well some bias is inavoidable....you just have to intelligent enough to sift through and spot it.

Sometimes I just enjoy throwing up hypotheticals, you know being philosophical and stuff. And that shit just doesnt fly in the political forum. You can't just know whats happening in politics, as far as important events and decisions go, you have to know specifics. I dont want to waste my time trying A)to find statistics/studies to back up my beliefs and B)making sure they are valid and unbiased. I'd much rather have a discussion on general events and political beliefs than specific studies etc.
so, you're saying you too lazy to research your beliefs?
how strong can they be then?

Rancid_Beasties
06-27-2005, 09:29 AM
well some bias is inavoidable....you just have to intelligent enough to sift through and spot it.

so, you're saying you too lazy to research your beliefs?
how strong can they be then?
I've researched my beliefs. Just not in online form. I used to go to alot of political meetings, clubs, societies etc as well has read the newspapers and books on politics. But I'll be damned if I could remember a single quote from each book/meeting that I could use as "evidence". But does that make my opinion any less valid. Not in my opinion ;)

yeahwho
06-27-2005, 09:35 AM
I believe the majority of politicians would love it if we kept our keyboards silent about our honest opinion of their performance.

Keep up the good work, the Worlds a mess. (y)

GreenEarthAl
06-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Once upon a time...

...the end

Tzar
06-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Once upon a time...
Tzar killed brian peppers
...the end

beautiful story.

synch
06-27-2005, 09:44 AM
Dude... let it go...

:(

Tzar
06-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Dude... let it go...

:(

i cant!!
I JUST CANT!!

i think i need some pussy. :(

yeahwho
06-27-2005, 09:48 AM
beautiful story.
BP had beeter watch his ass...I'm gonna put him in the shredder b4 you get to him.

Tzar
06-27-2005, 09:51 AM
BP had beeter watch his ass...I'm gonna put him in the shredder b4 you get to him.
OH MAN!!
BP?!
there's this other extremely ugly cunt i know that refers to himself as BP!!

this world is scaring me. i need to carry around some grenades just in case.
someone will be like "gimme your wallet, sucka!" and i'll be like "ok..ok" and i'll pull the pin out of a grenade in my pocket, place the grenade in their hands and run like hell.

synch
06-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Go get laid.

Now.

Tzar
06-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Go get laid.

Now.
*looks for closest hand*
oh there it is!
:p

yeahwho
06-27-2005, 09:55 AM
OH MAN!!
BP?!
there's this other extremely ugly cunt i know that refers to himself as BP!!

this world is scaring me. i need to carry around some grenades just in case.
someone will be like "gimme your wallet, sucka!" and i'll be like "ok..ok" and i'll pull the pin out of a grenade in my pocket, place the grenade in their hands and run like hell.

BP is the dudes initials I take over for at work everyday, quite the coinkydink, Bob Patterson, you don't work with me do you?

If the RHCP's had any nads they would rush out a CD called Brian. They should do it before I behead peepers and send it to you in a box.

Mcmac
06-27-2005, 09:56 AM
i rekon it's funny

Tzar
06-27-2005, 09:59 AM
i rekon it's funny

dude, ain't it like 2am over there?

Mcmac
06-27-2005, 10:03 AM
dude, ain't it like 2am over there?

1:30 g'night

BGirl
06-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Rancid_Beasties... yes it's true that studies and statistics are often biased. We all know how statistics can lie. That funny chart somebody posted about pirates and global warming is a good example.

But there are other, more basic facts - historical events and current events. Some people prefer to remain ignorant of them and yet seem to feel that their opinions are just as valid as someone who's taken the time to learn history and follow current events.

(I'm not talking about anyone in particular on this board, again thinking of that other board I mentioned.)

Qdrop
06-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Some people prefer to remain ignorant of them and yet seem to feel that their opinions are just as valid as someone who's taken the time to learn history and follow current events.

(I'm not talking about anyone in particular on this board, again thinking of that other board I mentioned.)

oh, but there are PLENTY of them on the BB political section, trust me...

BGirl
06-27-2005, 10:14 AM
oh, but there are PLENTY of them on the BB political section, trust me...

I don't doubt it. They're everywhere. Unfortunately.

Loppfessor
06-27-2005, 10:14 AM
90%of the posts in the political forum are quotes or links to articles....very few original opinions.

Qdrop
06-27-2005, 10:22 AM
i think one of the BIGGEST problems I have with the political section is the people who use political topics as IDEOLOGICAL SELF ADVERTISMENTS.

they want to be identified as liberal or conservative...and simply lock in to the affiliated beliefs.....like a contract...
and them scream them out to others to, again, advertise there ideology.

if someone identifies themselves as liberal...then they just "know" that guns are bad, global warming is real, ect.
and if you don't believe that...THEN YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT CONSERVATIVE...GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE SAND, MAN....THE FACTS ARE RIGHT THERE....
...and all that.

i mean, it's not like i disagree with many liberal sentiments for example....
but it's difficult to respect someone's opinion when i know they believe ONLY because they want to be identified as liberal (they think it's their responsibility) rather then through some personal research and thinking.

global warming for example, has been a hot button on that section.
-yet there is really only ONE other person on that section other then me who cares or makes strides to research the science of it....
they just adhere to the beliefs that global warming is real, man...and it's gonna kill us all....and we need to fix it now man....bush needs to sign the Kyoto treaty, like now!

thier debates on the topic focus squarely on the political side and are parroted....
...thier attacks are purely one sided and often ad hock...

Ace42
06-27-2005, 10:30 AM
An opinion doesnt need to be validated.

It does to be of any merit, according to Socrates.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=valid
1. Containing premises from which the conclusion may logically be derived: a valid argument.
2. Correctly inferred or deduced from a premise: a valid conclusion.

Thus if an opinion is illogical, it is not valid.

An opinion which does not adhere to Socratic method is "dust in the wind" - pardon the pun.

D_Raay
06-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Who knows why they go there? I've ceased to care very much. I used to enjoy that forum a bit but I hardly ever go in there any more as there is almost never any real 'discussion' that goes on in there, just a handful of egomaniacal extremists digging in their heels and screaming for attention. There are a handful of decent folks in there who are capable of rational discourse, and occasionally there is a thread that becomes an interesting exchange of views, but mostly it's a big screechy circle jerk.
Surprising point of view peachy. Solidarity confused with circle jerk? Most of us in that section know each other quite well by now and alot of posts are initiated to keep each other informed on something we may have otherwise missed.
Yes there are tards -Sisko being the glaring example- but condemning the whole section?

D_Raay
06-27-2005, 12:32 PM
i think one of the BIGGEST problems I have with the political section is the people who use political topics as IDEOLOGICAL SELF ADVERTISMENTS.

Which you yourself are guilty of at times Q... :rolleyes:

Qdrop
06-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Which you yourself are guilty of at times Q... :rolleyes:

what?-
with my "centrist" rambling?

eh...perhaps....

but I DO have research in my sentiments....
i don't come half-assed.....

i make a stink about being a centrist/independant because i think that, itself, combats the canned group think you get when you perscribe to one side.

being an independant is a differant paradigm of thinking....then affiliating with one political side of the fence.

so i perhaps self advertise an ideology...in efforts to to get others to not so so...

how's that work for ya?

DroppinScience
06-27-2005, 01:15 PM
When I first came to this board, my home was quite chiefly in the Political Board. It was a much different place than it is now.

GreenEarthAl was very prominent and he ALWAYS had wonderful things to say. There were the resident conspiracy nuts (Blighty, bigkidpants) keeping things very interesting. Intelligent right-wingers have always been hard to come by, but occasionally there'd be some that'd stop by.

But there's been a huge decline and it was gradual for at least a year or so. People like gmsisko and valvano have spammed the board with their repeated rhetoric and cut-and-paste hack jobs. Then there's the repeated blog entries that are just mind-numbing.

I think the place's final death knell happened on November 3, 2004, when Kerry conceded the election. It became nothing but right-wingers gloating and disgusted left-wingers brooding. I couldn't even bare to look at that place for very long, and after the initial outrage/debate over the election results, that place has died a slow miserable death.

Qdrop
06-27-2005, 01:20 PM
I think the place's final death knell happened on November 3, 2004, when Kerry conceded the election. It became nothing but right-wingers gloating and disgusted left-wingers brooding. I couldn't even bare to look at that place for very long, and after the initial outrage/debate over the election results, that place has died a slow miserable death.

it's just hibernating....

GreenEarthAl
06-27-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm game.

I'll have a go.

See you there.

ms.peachy
06-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Surprising point of view peachy. Solidarity confused with circle jerk? Most of us in that section know each other quite well by now and alot of posts are initiated to keep each other informed on something we may have otherwise missed.
Yes there are tards -Sisko being the glaring example- but condemning the whole section?
I was merely expressing my frustration as to what I see is the general tendency. It is occasionally stimulating, and has a modest handful of interesting contributors, but mostly it is the realm of the unloved, the blind leading the naked, and the chronically obnoxious.

A. Remin' D.
06-27-2005, 02:53 PM
I find it perplexing that people bash religion on here when each of the Beasties is believes in something. And you think it's weird that there are Republican Beastie fans?

Documad
06-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Documad is saying she prefers discussions about public policy - I think that means she prefers more purely philosophical discussions. Of course policy needs to be informed by facts too, but when talking pure policy, personal beliefs and philosophy play more of a role I think.
Yes. And I'm far more interested in the raw opinions of intelligent people with different life experiences and backgrounds than so-called facts from whatever source people dig up.

I have a very high standard for facts. You can quote so-called studies at me and give me links to internet sites all you want. I won't read them. (Unless, like what RobMoney posted re the Mumia case, it happens that I've been looking for such information before and you have links to actual court records.) With the poor quality of reporters and new agencies today, I think that most of the information we get from reputable sources is suspect. I'm more interested in what's not being reported and in asking questions.

I am never going to bother to cite facts to back up my opinion or statements. If that means that most people aren't going to listen, so be it. I'm not going to give my resume every time I post. On the other hand, I don't want to take part in a discussion that goes "I think so and so" "you're stupid" "no, you're stupid". I would like to know the reason for someone's opinion or belief, but it doesn't have to be factual or based in statistics. I have a statistics background and I know how to lie with statistics. Talk radio is full of statistics that are complete crap and it makes me want to bash my head against my dashboard.

I hate labels. I have worked for politicians for a long time (about half republican and half democrat). I call myself a liberal because I hate that it has a negative meaning today. Same reason I call myself a feminist. I probably disagree with much of what those groups espouse but I'm more upset that people are terrified to be IDed with either group. I won't call myself an independent because it means you have absolutely no voice in your government.

GreenEarthAl
06-27-2005, 07:30 PM
I dont believe something just because my favorite band does.

*points and laughs* Ah ha! You like the Beastie Boys!! *giggle fit*

Medellia
06-27-2005, 07:35 PM
I find it perplexing that people bash religion on here when each of the Beasties is believes in something. And you think it's weird that there are Republican Beastie fans?
Liberal minded people tend to listen to liberal minded bands, while conservative people tend to listen to conservative musicians. Keywords here are "tend to". Now, just because people are like minded it does not mean that they agree on every little thing.

zorra_chiflada
06-27-2005, 08:29 PM

yes.
i would have thought republican supporters wouldn't listen to a band, let alone join the message board of a band who are very vocal about their political beliefs. i thought republicans would hate that.

Ace42
06-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Keywords here are "tend to". Now, just because people are like minded it does not mean that they agree on every little thing.

Besides, since when have conservatives been consistant?

In the words of Tom Stoppard "The more proletarian the revolution, the more bourgeois they like their art."

I suppose the inverse could also be true.

SobaViolence
06-27-2005, 09:28 PM
the political forum has sucked for the last month or two.

even the ridiculous, lame or stupid shit isn't entertaining as it once was. and qdrop still labels people while getting really pissy if you label him...

Qdrop
06-28-2005, 07:33 AM
and qdrop still labels people while getting really pissy if you label him...

yeah.

i hate you.