PDA

View Full Version : Remember when Martin Lawrence was funny?

adam_f
06-29-2005, 07:48 AM
Neither do I. I think the only good thing ever to come from anything Martin Lawrence is the 'Martin' theme song. Only other thing somewhat worthwhile is Bad Boys. His new movie looks like shit. His last four have been shit. And I guess he's making a sequel to Big Momma's House, which was bullshit.

zorra_chiflada
06-29-2005, 07:50 AM
i saw big mommas house at the cinema. i would never tell anyone that in real life. fuck.

icy manipulator
06-29-2005, 08:10 AM
he went downhill after bad boys (n)

Rock
06-29-2005, 08:14 AM
"You So Crazy" was pretty fucking funny. And I'll admit, I enjoyed Bad Boys...but other than that he is garbage. I also love how he ran down the street naked with a gun when he was all sorts of fucked up on sumthin' in Maryland.

Homsar
06-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Just about every black comedy that's been released in the past five years has been utter crap. In fact, just about every comedy has been utter crap in the past five years.

adam_f
06-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Martin Lawrence is really only funny when he swears. Like in Bad Boys or You So Crazy. Hearing him swear is funny to me. But he makes so many PG-13 movies, he really can't swear that much.

Same with Dave Chappelle. I think Chappelle's Show is hysterical, but half of the funny stuff to me is him swearing like a sailor.

Homsar
06-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Only funny when he swears? That's really pathetic. Comedy is best with little or no use of foul language.

RobMoney
06-29-2005, 08:32 AM
He's like the new Bill Cosby or something,

except not as talented or as cool as Bill Cosby

icy manipulator
06-29-2005, 08:37 AM
Just about every black comedy that's been released in the past five years has been utter crap. In fact, just about every comedy has been utter crap in the past five years.

i agree, but american psycho was an awesome black comedy. unless you meant black comedy as in martin lawrence being black? :confused:

adam_f
06-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Orignally posted by RobMoney
He's like the new Bill Cosby or something,

except not as talented or as cool as Bill Cosby

Bill Cosby didn't need to swear or use graphic descriptions in his comedy. That's why he's one of the greatest comedians ever. He could be funny without having to resort to using the kind of language a lot of comedians use. He's a great storyteller, unlike Lawrence and Chappelle. They need to stretch the free speech for all it's worth to be funny.

A lot of times on Chappelle's Show, there's not a whole lot past the concept. Not everytime, but quite a few. Like the Mad Real World. Throw Christian Finnegan in with a bunch of black people in a house. Most of the comedy in that skit is either race or sexually expressed. Lysol having sex with his girlfriend while he's forced to jerk off. Not something Bill Cosby would ever in his right mind speak about.

And skits like Trading Spouses and the whole Wayne Brady episode. Not something Bill Cosby would ever do. So comparing Chappelle or whoever you were comparing to Bill Cosby is totally off base, like you said in the second part of your post. He's nowhere near Bill Cosby as a comedian.

Homsar
06-29-2005, 08:40 AM
i agree, but american psycho was an awesome black comedy. unless you meant black comedy as in martin lawrence being black? :confused:

I was referring to comedies starring black actors and actresses.

icy manipulator
06-29-2005, 08:43 AM
true true. i dont think there will be anyone as good as richard pryor or eddie murphy

tdot04
06-29-2005, 09:08 AM
I kinda liked Blue Streak. :o

That new Martin Lawrence flick looks gay as fuck.

icy manipulator
06-29-2005, 09:28 AM
I kinda liked Blue Streak. :o

That new Martin Lawrence flick looks gay as fuck.

which one was blue streak? all ML films seem the same to me now :confused:

it's the one where he acts as a cop to get the diamond he stashed in the popo building right?

tdot04
06-29-2005, 09:36 AM
which one was blue streak? all ML films seem the same to me now :confused:

it's the one where he acts as a cop to get the diamond he stashed in the popo building right?

Yeah, that's the one. Or is that National Security? Or is that Big Momma's House? Or is that What's The Worst That Could Happen?

You're not the only one who thinks they're all the same.

icy manipulator
06-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Yeah, that's the one. Or is that National Security? Or is that Big Momma's House? Or is that What's The Worst That Could Happen?

You're not the only one who thinks they're all the same.

LMAO

mate the only i definately know what happened in it was bad boys~!

beastieangel01
06-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Only funny when he swears? That's really pathetic. Comedy is best with little or no use of foul language.

I think it's subjective. No foul language does not mean it's the best kind of comedy.

I agree that not everything is funny only when there is cursing involved. But at the same time, some comedy or particular jokes/skits require the cursing to set the mood/tone.

Nuzzolese
06-29-2005, 10:50 AM
His and Chappelle's stand up acts are funnier than their shows and movies - course Half Baked was cute. Lawrence seemed to get into more physical clownish comedy and Chapelle's is just more political, which is aided often by swearing and shock because it's outrageous and the material is already attention-getting enough, to make it even more ludicrous than it is, I guess you need to up it a little. Isn't the Cos pretty much a story-teller in his comedy? It's just different styles why does it have to be race comedy?

icy manipulator
06-29-2005, 10:57 AM
His and Chappelle's stand up acts are funnier than their shows and movies - course Half Baked was cute. Lawrence seemed to get into more physical clownish comedy and Chapelle's is just more political, which is aided often by swearing and shock because it's outrageous and the material is already attention-getting enough, to make it even more ludicrous than it is, I guess you need to up it a little. Isn't the Cos pretty much a story-teller in his comedy? It's just different styles why does it have to be race comedy?

that's the same with all black actors. like if you look at eddie murphy's Delirious stand up comedy act, it shits all over any of his movies (y)

Nuzzolese
06-29-2005, 11:01 AM
that's the same with all black actors.

I wasn't aware that all black actors were stand-up comedians. :p

adam_f
06-29-2005, 11:03 AM
I felt the need to watch Blue Streak after I logged off earlier and now I'm just sad I did. The part where he's the pizza guy is just awful. Almost makes me want to go back in time and have 18 year old Adam kill the 14 year Adam who bought the DVD back in the day.

icy manipulator
06-29-2005, 11:06 AM

yeah it's a little secret society unknown to the world :p

but yeah you know what i meant, it's 230am so if i leave a word or 2 out plz oh plz forgive me :p

Rock
06-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Come on now...you didn't see Morgan Freeman at the Apollo in 86? That shit was gut busting funny.

Nuzzolese
06-29-2005, 01:32 PM
People think there are all these different black comedic actors, but really it's just Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall in various costumes and makeup.

Rock
06-29-2005, 01:35 PM
When you think of garbage, think of Akeem.

Nuzzolese
06-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Frank Sinatra said, "between you and me, Joe Louis is a hundred and thirty seven years old."

Loppfessor
06-29-2005, 05:49 PM
member when everyone always said "Daaaaamn Gina!"......I wanted to punch them then now I'd be like "'Damn Gina'?? What you get stuck in a time warp??"

anyway Broman was funny as shit