PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds - rate it if seen

Tzar
06-29-2005, 09:48 AM
no spoilers just yet.
i'll give it a 6.5 to 7 out of 10.
8-10 would be way too generous.

considering i've also seen the original - it is very much alike except for some smaller details.

but yeah, pretty good movie. some bits made me :eek: especially when "they" first "appear"

Tzar
06-29-2005, 09:49 AM
ps. i figure i do something like this because A-Z aint here :(

zorra_chiflada
06-29-2005, 09:49 AM
but it has tom cruise in it! he's such a stupid cunt

Tzar
06-29-2005, 09:52 AM
who cares...
he does a good job in this one.

i care nothing about celebrities and their personal lives.
if they can act, i respect them. tom cruise can act.

zorra_chiflada
06-29-2005, 09:58 AM
who cares...
he does a good job in this one.

i care nothing about celebrities and their personal lives.
if they can act, i respect them. tom cruise can act.

no, i'm not talking about his personal life. i couldn't care less.
his mere presence makes me want to vomit. seriously.

icy manipulator
06-29-2005, 10:00 AM
but it has tom cruise in it! he's such a stupid cunt

word to the mummy fucker

i'm loving using that line now :D

TAL
06-29-2005, 02:12 PM
It was alright, nothing special.

Chicka B
06-29-2005, 02:17 PM
I really wanna see that movie! Those types of movies make me paranoid as fuck though. Certain celebrities don't bother me though.

Bob
06-29-2005, 03:02 PM
tom cruise is a crazy scientologist bastard. did you see his interview with matt lauer? look into his eyes! he's gone, so gone

beastiegirrl101
06-29-2005, 03:08 PM

this is your review?

TAL
06-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Yep (y)

Tzar
06-29-2005, 06:34 PM
i agree
not bad but not great.

BOBBY DIGITAL
06-29-2005, 06:40 PM
tom cruise is a crazy scientologist bastard. did you see his interview with matt lauer? look into his eyes! he's gone, so gone

I disagree, Bob. He's not quite gone. He's getting there, though. I say give him about 10 years to go full Brando. Then we'll see. By the way it looks now, in ten years, he's gonna be walking around in a banana hammock trying to bring back the dead and heal the terminally ill..................with his penis.

pip07
06-29-2005, 06:42 PM
In the words of Katie Holmes it was "amazing!"

enree erzweglle
07-11-2005, 04:56 PM
I miss these movie polls so yay.

A friend who is sitting with me saw it and gives it a 6. I haven't seen it yet.

ToucanSpam
07-11-2005, 04:58 PM
I haven't seen it yet.
you are lazy to go see movies mom

beastieangel01
07-11-2005, 05:25 PM
it was much better than I thought it was going to be.

The best parts to me where when the people were interacting with each other in this state of emergency. I.E. the scene over the van, and the scene when Cruises character deals with Robbins character, about not letting him risk his daughters life and blah blah.

enree erzweglle
07-11-2005, 05:39 PM
you are lazy to go see movies mom
Hey. HEY! I saw two theater movies this weekend.

And I saw two netflix movies.

Fuck lazy.

enree erzweglle
07-11-2005, 05:40 PM
How were the condoms?

ToucanSpam
07-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Hey. HEY! I saw two theater movies this weekend.

And I saw two netflix movies.

Fuck lazy.
sorry mom, what was the second one you went to? I know Sw, I cried a river of blood because you didnt like it. NETFLIX DOESNT COUNT!!

GET OUT OF THE HOUSE :mad: :mad: :mad:

enree erzweglle
07-11-2005, 05:44 PM
sorry mom, what was the second one you went to? I know Sw, I cried a river of blood because you didnt like it. NETFLIX DOESNT COUNT!!

GET OUT OF THE HOUSE :mad: :mad: :mad:
With the running I've been doing, it's more like I need to get in the house. :)

The other movie was Mad Hot Ballroom. A movie trying to be artsy and mostly succeeding. I still liked it.

abcdefz
07-11-2005, 08:15 PM
ps. i figure i do something like this because A-Z aint here :(

:o

I gave it a 7. It was pretty good, and I kinda thought the shapelessness of the narrative worked in its favor.

And the wedged-in-heroism wasn't too excrutiating.

And, dang, but there were some sights to see. (y)

*vague, vague spoiler territory ahead, but you won't know it if you haven't seen it*

I think my favorite part was when the crowd started taking turns with Cruise's hijacked mini-van. You kept hearing it... and it went on, and on a few times there.... perceptive, accurate for the situation, and darker than Spiels usually lets himself go.

TAL
07-12-2005, 02:53 AM
How were the condoms?
Wrong thread for that kind of discussion.

enree erzweglle
07-12-2005, 06:10 AM
Wrong thread for that kind of discussion.

I know--I was just jokin'.

TAL
07-12-2005, 07:54 AM
Nah, you're just jealous.

Freebasser
07-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Nice special effects = 10/10

Storyline = 3/10

Acting = 2/10

The fact that if the aliens wanted Earth so badly they could have taken it over before humans existed, and that it's not like they did much with it after they took it over, apart from spray veins and blood everywhere = 1/10

Having Tom Cruise play the lead role = 0/10

Tzar
07-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Having Tom Cruise play the lead role = 0/10

who else would you have picked?

Freebasser
07-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Anyone but Tom Cruise.

Beckalina
07-12-2005, 08:35 AM
I would've picked bruce willis

voltanapricot
07-12-2005, 12:22 PM
I saw it today with my sis this afternoon.

I enjoyed it. I wish I had read the book first, though.

Oh yeah, and Dakota Fanning is one awesome little actress.

beastieangel01
07-12-2005, 12:28 PM
The fact that if the aliens wanted Earth so badly they could have taken it over before humans existed, and that it's not like they did much with it after they took it over, apart from spray veins and blood everywhere = 1/10

Haha, I had those thoughts as well. I tried not to think about it too much though while I was watching :p

Freebasser
07-12-2005, 12:29 PM
That's because aliens is dumb.

(I meant that to be a grammatical pun, and not a mini-review of the film by the same name, because I quite enjoy that film, except when the little girl says "they mostly come at night. mostly" because that bit's just shit.)

abcdefz
07-12-2005, 01:58 PM
who else would you have picked?

Wouldn't it have been cool to get, like.... Steve Buscemi?

enree erzweglle
07-12-2005, 02:18 PM
He'd make anything work. The man's a genius.

AKAsharpchedda
07-16-2005, 08:01 PM
i think it was a damn good film. (y)

Tzar
07-16-2005, 08:32 PM

*slaps forehead*

imagine him acting out the bit where Tom has the gun to his head. i can imagine Steve B. saying some corny joke and getting smacked in the back of the head

buddylee
07-16-2005, 08:46 PM
it was good but, fuck Cruz that homo nut job

I would have seen Gilbert Godfree in it...... then I think he should be in alot more moives.

WildBaldMonkey
07-17-2005, 10:31 AM
They should have cast Stallone in the lead role instead of Cruz. Imagine the joy as Sly contorts his face and mumbles incoherently, in new ways unseen by us mere mortals, as he battles the evil forces from deep space.........

jennyb
07-17-2005, 10:47 AM
I found this to be a pretty entertaining summer blockbuster worthy of my movie ticket price and popcorn. But nothing more than that.

I enjoyed the tri-pod alien things and they way they moved with an eerie grace. The effects were a lot of fun. The people getting literally vaporized was cool. The angry mob scene felt pretty real, but how stupid was that to go out on that ferry? I thought it was pretty lame how everyone just sort of stared at the ground opening up in the beginning. My ass would've been runnin for the hills! I wish I wouldn't have seen the son at the end. Would've worked better if they just let you wonder a bit about that.

(n) Yeah, Tom Cruise as the lead put me off a little. (I adore Katie and wish to God he'd stay away from her and quit influencing her... ...sorry, just had to get that off my chest)

(y) Dakota made up for that though.

abcdefz
07-17-2005, 03:39 PM

*slaps forehead*

imagine him acting out the bit where Tom has the gun to his head. i can imagine Steve B. saying some corny joke and getting smacked in the back of the head

You need a real everyman for this kind of thing, and Cruise is a little too outsized for that (though I thought he had a couple of good moments).

I'd think about getting

Steve Buscemi (as mentioned above)
Mark Ruffalo
Don Cheadle
Randy Quaid (too old?)
Jamie Foxx
Luiz Guzman
Owen Wilson

...heck, even Jack Black or Rick Gervais could've been interesting. Or make it a female character instead of a male.

Lord and IMDB only know how many names I misspelled up there. :D

Tzar
07-17-2005, 07:23 PM
i couldn't see a comedian actor pulling this off though. sorry but i hate it when comedic(sp) actors have a go at serious roles - cause it's so foreign to them.

MEH who cares... the movies done and out of the way.

*waits for Indy Jones 4* God i hope they don't fuck this up. i read somewhere (IMDb i think) that the new indy movie might be called:
"Indiana Jones and the Opal of the Mer-Man Prince" :confused:

abcdefz
07-18-2005, 02:30 PM
...that was a runmor on AICN, I think. Harrison Ford supposedly was drunk at a party and told some kid that was the title.

If that scenario is even 1/4 true, I'm sure Ford was pulling this kid's leg. I mean... it's not like Harrison Ford isn't a pro who's been around for a while, involved with any number of projects about which he's got to keep his trap shut.

abcdefz
07-18-2005, 02:30 PM
You need a real everyman for this kind of thing, and Cruise is a little too outsized for that (though I thought he had a couple of good moments).

I'd think about getting

Steve Buscemi (as mentioned above)
Mark Ruffalo
Don Cheadle
Randy Quaid (too old?)
Jamie Foxx
Luiz Guzman
Owen Wilson

...heck, even Jack Black or Rick Gervais could've been interesting. Or make it a female character instead of a male.

...I forgot: Tim Blake Nelson would've been good.

rahntl
07-18-2005, 02:57 PM
I thought Tom Cruise played a great asshole. Go figure. Props to Tom. The movie was better than I thought it would be.

avignon
07-18-2005, 05:58 PM
I liked it, but did anyone else notice the guy with the video camera filming the thing come out of the ground moments after the emp wrecked everything electrical? I hate little fuck-ups like that.

Tzar
07-18-2005, 07:17 PM
...that was a runmor on AICN, I think. Harrison Ford supposedly was drunk at a party and told some kid that was the title.

If that scenario is even 1/4 true, I'm sure Ford was pulling this kid's leg. I mean... it's not like Harrison Ford isn't a pro who's been around for a while, involved with any number of projects about which he's got to keep his trap shut.

yeah i agree.