PDA

View Full Version : music and emotions

zippo
06-29-2005, 10:08 PM
i wonder if when we work while listening to music we can deffinetly say that 100% of what weve produced is ours? i mean, maybe its just with certain people, me included, but when i listen to music it really touches me emotionally, i feel psyched or sad or pensative...depending on the song or style im listening to. so lets use writing as a specific example...when i write something with music on, my feelings can tend to be stronger and im sometimes more emotional about the ideas or opinions im writing about, i often wonder if i were not listening to music if it wouldve come out the same.

like how people make music or write or whatever under the influence of drugs and they create much better, many argue that its not as valid if it was made under the influence. could it be the same with music? is it really me thats writing it, or could i only have written what i did under the influence of music?

which is why sometimes, alot of times, i turn off the stereo when i have to write something that includes touchy subjects or emotional subjects in itself, like maybe freedom of speech laws or love or the needy, etcetcetc. ive especially made it a rule not to put on dark or mellancholic music whenever ive just left my friends from another country and im writing them an email cuz that can be pretty dam fkin dangerous!

but getting back to the point or to put out another example... if im talking to someone and this really emotional music is on or a really upbeat, party song comes on, i wonder how much of our conversation or what we do is due to the emotions the music provokes in us and how much is due to us and just us without that music. or when i write, i wonder how much is actually me and not the music. it doenst have to be a bad thing, for the quafiftieth time, its an observation not a criticism. for the millionth hundreth time...im thinking out loud. bless the internet man.

also, fighting with music coincidentally in the background, does a really strong part in a song when youre exchaning words...maybe you wouldnt have said what you said if you werent so emotional that very minute...or maybe you would.

avignon
06-29-2005, 10:13 PM
The music touches your emotions-not invokes new ones that you wouldn't have ever had on your own. So yes, the work inspired by these emotions is yours.

zippo
06-29-2005, 10:20 PM
The music touches your emotions-not invokes new ones that you wouldn't have ever had on your own. So yes, the work inspired by these emotions is yours.

not invokes new ones, i know, what you mean like, "hey the other day i was writing a piece on furniture with Pink Floyd on and i felt all straglamanfroid!"
haha anyways, yea.

avignon
06-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Then again, I avoid music that causes me to feel certain strong emotions when I have a decision to make.

Semi-related, I put on music today that I new would comfort me because nothing else seemed to have that affect.

avignon
06-29-2005, 10:21 PM
not invokes new ones, i know, what you mean like, "hey the other day i was writing a piece on furniture with Pink Floyd on and i felt all straglamanfroid!"
haha anyways, yea.
hahhahahahahhha

got me :o

icy manipulator
06-29-2005, 10:26 PM
good music always gives you a sense of euphoria. certain elements of music invoke personal tendencies. Like when i listen to RATM i cant help but going a bit nuts. Same with Tool, their music always affects my, i go into my own little world and just try to feel the lyrics and make some sort of connection

also that's why i think i like about of electronic music. when it is well made and you can truly appreciate it, it will take you higher then listening to shitty techno while on 3 ecstasy pills.

i'm listening to Tiesto atm, and i'm experiencing a great state of relaxation :cool:

zippo
06-29-2005, 10:33 PM
good music always gives you a sense of euphoria. certain elements of music invoke personal tendencies. Like when i listen to RATM i cant help but going a bit nuts. Same with Tool, their music always affects my, i go into my own little world and just try to feel the lyrics and make some sort of connection

also that's why i think i like about of electronic music. when it is well made and you can truly appreciate it, it will take you higher then listening to shitty techno while on 3 ecstasy pills.

i'm listening to Tiesto atm, and i'm experiencing a great state of relaxation :cool:

yes but i meant more when we listen to music while engaging in another activity (writing, talking,partying,driving,etc) so as to be influenced in what were doing

like how avignon said she knew she might have been too emotional to take her decision if she were listening to music, maybe the decision she wouldve taken would have been based on the emotions the music artificially brought out...or not

icy manipulator
06-29-2005, 10:44 PM
yes but i meant more when we listen to music while engaging in another activity (writing, talking,partying,driving,etc) so as to be influenced in what were doing

like how avignon said she knew she might have been too emotional to take her decision if she were listening to music, maybe the decision she wouldve taken would have been based on the emotions the music artificially brought out...or not

yeah while when we were partying and listening to RATM the other night we managed to destroy the stereo after 6 songs under the influence of their music, does that count? (y)

avignon
06-29-2005, 10:51 PM

Yeah ok, I've given this some more thought. The listening to emotion-inducing music while making decisions is a scenario when I wouldn't want emotions to affect my thinking.

Writing or creating is a scenario when I would let the music bring out my emotions to affect my work because emotions could actually bring more to the end result. And I still think that the work would be mine because the music is affecting me in my own personal way. The same music would have a completely different emotional response to someone else.

zippo
06-29-2005, 10:51 PM
yeah while when we were partying and listening to RATM the other night we managed to destroy the stereo after 6 songs under the influence of their music, does that count? (y)

nice

zippo
06-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Writing or creating is a scenario when I would let the music bring out my emotions to affect my work because emotions could actually bring more to the end result. And I still think that the work would be mine because the music is affecting me in my own personal way. The same music would have a completely different emotional response to someone else.

definetly (y) ...but me, personally, i cant stop to think how much i feel the end result with music is genuinely mine and not me on drugs...err, music...the artificial me...call it, the drunk me, why not

monkey
06-29-2005, 10:57 PM
i hate you so much right

AHHHHHHHHHHH

(why is that the song that came to my head when i read this thread? i love you zippo. all lezzie luv for you)

avignon
06-29-2005, 10:58 PM
But those are all sides of you.

zippo
06-29-2005, 11:03 PM
But those are all sides of you.

theyre all different names for the same thing-me (and anyeone) under the influence of music

edit- And I still think that the work would be mine because the music is affecting me in my own personal way.

and this pretty much answers what you think about the situation, thanks (y)

avignon
06-29-2005, 11:04 PM
theyre all different names for the same thing-me (and anyeone) under the influence of music
(y) :D

zippo
06-29-2005, 11:12 PM
i hate you so much right

AHHHHHHHHHHH

(why is that the song that came to my head when i read this thread? i love you zippo. all lezzie luv for you)

oh baby

zippo
06-30-2005, 02:07 PM
my god, i dont even know what thread to start reading from since theres about 25 new ones today. heres a music and emotions one though.
id like to add im in pain.

marsdaddy
06-30-2005, 02:13 PM
id like to add im in pain.Physical or emotional?

I think music affects my actions as much as emotions. Like, I hate going to restaurants that play fast, dance music -- techno, house, etc. I find myself chewing to the beat. And on Memorial Day weekend, the local "Urban" station was "in the mix" all weekend. I was in a good mood and very energetic, that weekend.

If I really need to concentrate, I'll turn off my music.

The lunchtime mix is playing 2Live Crew right now...:o

zippo
06-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Physical or emotional?

I think music affects my actions as much as emotions. Like, I hate going to restaurants that play fast, dance music -- techno, house, etc. I find myself chewing to the beat. And on Memorial Day weekend, the local "Urban" station was "in the mix" all weekend. I was in a good mood and very energetic, that weekend.

If I really need to concentrate, I'll turn off my music.

physical :(

HAHA "chewing to the beat of the music"??? somebody should make a movie character out of that! you go to a fast paced music restauratn and you finish your meal in 5 minutes, and then another nite you go to a classy, classical music playing one and eveythings sort of in slow motion, and there could be a part where theyre showing the inside of your mouth chewing and how your tongue is moving slowly and make it look like it has some type of coreography w/ insane effects. or you grab the glass of wine and pour it from the top in reeeeal slow motion and the drink falls from way up into your mouth and when you finish you smile, etcetcetc...

yea, sometimes i turn it off also but other times when i wanna feel vulnerable i turn it up maybe

enree erzweglle
06-30-2005, 02:28 PM
This is something I've thought a lot about recently and it's the second time in as many days when I was that close to starting a thread about something only to (happily) find that someone else did before me.

I was thinking about this the other day, how I can listen to particular songs and I feel myself walking right back into my past, to a period in my life, right into a specific mood.

I can choreograph long arrays of experiences and emotions to particular pieces, particular songs, and then listen to that and relive all of every single thing that I was feeling. Watching it doesn't have as deep an effect. But listening does.

Even if it happened years ago and I'd long since forgotten the experiences/tastes of it otherwise, the sounds bring it right back into conscious thought.

I would be much...slower without music. I don't know how to describe it otherwise. Music helps to accelerate my thoughts and feelings--or rather, my understanding of both. I'd just be on a quiet, unsettled autopilot without it--I'd struggle a lot more with hearing and then quieting my thoughts.

I'm so glad you posted this thread. These thoughts have been scrambling through my head for the last few days and it's nice to put them here, where no one is reading. :)

zippo
06-30-2005, 02:41 PM
This is something I've thought a lot about recently and it's the second time in as many days when I was that close to starting a thread about something only to (happily) find that someone else did before me.

I was thinking about this the other day, how I can listen to particular songs and I feel myself walking right back into my past, to a period in my life, right into a specific mood.

I can choreograph long arrays of experiences and emotions to particular pieces, particular songs, and then listen to that and relive all of every single thing that I was feeling. Watching it doesn't have as deep an effect. But listening does.

Even if it happened years ago and I'd long since forgotten the experiences/tastes of it otherwise, the sounds bring it right back into conscious thought.

I would be much...slower without music. I don't know how to describe it otherwise. Music helps to accelerate my thoughts and feelings--or rather, my understanding of both. I'd just be on a quiet, unsettled autopilot without it--I'd struggle a lot more with hearing and then quieting my thoughts.

I'm so glad you posted this thread. These thoughts have been scrambling through my head for the last few days and it's nice to put them here, where no one is reading. :)

dude! its great to hear that this is something thats been on your mind recently...anyways, yea, that taking you back to the past with certain songs, its like watching your own movie, right? i could totally sit back and stare at the ceiling and do that for hours, i get lost in it too much sometimes though, hehe, dont we all. or creating scenes with the emotions you get as well.

you know, sometimes music affects me too much and im all emotional in the middle of the day (why does night seem more "appropiate" to get emotional?), its like i have to change the fkin station or change the cd, its hilarious but intriguing.

so music organizes your thoughts? id say its pretty much opposite for me. it overwhelms and distracts me too much maybe, maybe not.

enree erzweglle
06-30-2005, 02:54 PM
^^^You called me dude. I'm smiling.

Yes, it's exactly like watching your own movie. That's a good way of putting it.

Interesting that it scattters your thoughts...maybe it's overloading them/you.

There are some types of music that I listen to to specifically help get an emotion out from under the surface. Later on, I might have to go to other music to quiet that same emotion. It's a fine balance.

I've tried combining music with meditation and have had some success there but not a huge amount or not consistently. I think it comes with time and practice.

On Final Jeopardy earlier in the month, the question was something about the cause that Ray Charles works for because he believes it to be the "worse thing in the world." All three finalists wrote down "blindness" but the answer was actually "deafness."

zippo
06-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Interesting that it scattters your thoughts...maybe it's overloading them/you.

yea its a good/bad thing i suppose

There are some types of music that I listen to to specifically help get an emotion out from under the surface. Later on, I might have to go to other music to quiet that same emotion. It's a fine balance.

wow, thats a very "musicologist" type thought, thats interesting. like how theyre starting to do with new born babies in some hospitals now, placing headphones on them and playing classical music. i think i really wanna study musicology

marsdaddy
06-30-2005, 03:34 PM
On Final Jeopardy earlier in the month, the question was something about the cause that Ray Charles works for because he believes it to be the "worse thing in the world." All three finalists wrote down "blindness" but the answer was actually "deafness."
I saw that, too, and thought, "how the hell did these people make it on Jeopardy?!"

Yeah, I feel the same way about music transporting you back to memories. I bet they use music for people with amnesia -- if not, they should.