PDA

View Full Version : Canadians: please explain your Thanksgiving.

Documad
06-30-2005, 09:54 AM
I don't want to mess up the family album any further.

Are you celebrating the same event we celebrate? Do you have a similar charming story of people in funny hats escaping religious persecution and then learning about corn from friendly Indians (before killing said Indians with their European diseases and worse)?

Do you think stuffing should have sausage in it?

If you feel like it, also explain what you're celebrating tomorrow!

Lindsey_1535
06-30-2005, 11:28 AM
ALRIGHTY
The first North American thanksgiving event occurred in Newfoundland in 1578. In the 1600s, Samuel de Champlain and the French Settlers who came with him established an "Order of Good Cheer." This group would hold huge celebrations marking the harvests and other events, sharing their food with Native American neighbours.
The first Canadian Thanksgiving was celebrated on April 15, 1872 in thanks for the recovery of the future King Edward VII from a serious illness.
Much like the United States' Thanksgiving Day, the Canadian celebration includes parades and festive meals, often including turkey and all the "fixins." Yet, again, at the heart of the celebration is the idea of giving thanks for the goodness of the season past
CANADIAN THANKS (http://www.thanksgiving-traditions.com/html/canada.html)

adam_f
06-30-2005, 11:30 AM
So you give thanks for the past while I give thanks to Spike TV for a James Bond marathon. Interesting.

Lindsey_1535
06-30-2005, 11:31 AM
I give thanks to the cranberry sauce

HEIRESS
06-30-2005, 12:02 PM
yeah, and its in october which is great because the last long weekend was on labour day

and then you have remembrance day to get you through november at which point you have xmas to look forward to in decemeber

the Canadian thanksgiving is just one well placed piece of holiday actionne

marsdaddy
06-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Do you think they have Thanksgiving in Mexico, too?