PDA

View Full Version : What is Meatloaf

TonsOfFun
06-30-2005, 10:35 AM
apart from a fat ugly sweaty guy.

I hear it on the movies and the mindless crap that gets sent across the pond onto our TV's but i've never known what it actually is and it's value. Assuming it is food... What meat is it? Is it like Spam or something?

ScarySquirrel
06-30-2005, 10:38 AM
It's ground hamburger with vegetables (onions and green peppers... sometimes mushrooms) and seasonings in it... put in a baking pan and shaped like a loaf of bread.

Usually, at least at my house, there's ketchup on it and it's really good.

EDIT: Try some of these (http://www.bhg.com/home/Meatloaf-Recipes.html) on for size.

JBernas
06-30-2005, 10:40 AM
If you get actual 'meatloaf' meat at the store it consists of ground veal, pork and hamburger.....my Italian mother-in-law insists on nothing less for meatloaf and meatballs. Throw in an egg, some worchestire (sp?), onion, garlic and whatever else you want and bake it like ScarySquirrel said....good comfort food. Serve with mashed potatoes (y)

bigblu89
06-30-2005, 11:03 AM
What is Meatloaf ?

Meatloaf is when you need 2 gats to go to sleep.

Oh wait, that's beef.

Nevermind.

Loppfessor
06-30-2005, 02:02 PM
What is Meatloaf ?

Meatloaf is when you need 2 gats to go to sleep.

Oh wait, that's beef.

Nevermind.

Cheesy but made me laugh.... (y)

marsdaddy
06-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Not that different from Sheperd's Pie, but there is no crust and the veggies and potato are on the side -- um, wait, it's totally different, except both are comfort foods.

CiaoBellaXO
06-30-2005, 02:15 PM
some people even spread mashed potatoes over the top of it for that frosted look.

beastieangel01
06-30-2005, 02:21 PM
I hate meatloaf :/

ms.peachy
06-30-2005, 03:06 PM
It's not something I make often, but when I do it is flippin' great. I usually use a beef and lamb combination, onions, breadcrumbs, egg, s&p and herbs, but sometimes I'll jazz it up with some capers and chopped sundried tomatoes if I've got em on hand.

The best thing about making a big meatloaf is, it's dinner one night, and then a great fuckin' sandwich the next day (y)

CiaoBellaXO
06-30-2005, 03:18 PM
I hate meatloaf :/

I really hate the word loaf

ms.peachy
06-30-2005, 03:24 PM
apart from a fat ugly sweaty guy.

who is, ironically, a vegetarian.

marsdaddy
06-30-2005, 05:52 PM
who is, ironically, a vegetarian.I bet he wasn't always, though.

ms.peachy
07-01-2005, 03:44 AM
I bet he wasn't always, though.
Most of them weren't.

That's why they can be so easily tempted with bacon.

little j
07-01-2005, 05:58 AM
you take some lean ground beef, put in a bowl
some corn flakes or bread crumbs or something
an egg acts as a glue
worchestershire sauce yum anchovies, what?
ketchup or bbq sauce or both
spices like garlic and chili powder paprika salt pepper
and you squish it all around with your hands.
mold it into a loaf in that bowl, or another baking dish
wash your hands...
bake for a while

serve with mashed potatoesandgravy and ketchup
yummers

TonsOfFun
07-01-2005, 07:51 AM
I bet he wasn't always, though.

well I'm veggie and still fat, but don't sweat as much. So it's not that I'll ever try meatloaf it was just seems such a staple food in North America and I didn't know what it was...

enree erzweglle
07-01-2005, 08:07 AM
My brother's 8 years older than I am. When I was 10, he went away to college and I missed him. In his sophomore year, he lived off-campus and learned to eat stuff other than ketsup sandwiches. He learned how to make meatloaf and he taught me how.

He explained about the various ways you could make it--spicing it up--and he explained that he usually didn't have spices like that because money was tight.

So when he went back to school for his junior year, I saved pennies from everywhere. Surprised I didn't get hunchy looking for them--my eyes were downcast that year. My family still jokes about that. I'd roll the pennies and send them to him to buy spices with.

I probably should have just bought & sent the spices but actually, that never occurred to me until recently.

Tone Capone
07-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Meat loaf is awesome.... depending on who makes it. (y)

Ketchup on meat loaf is ignorant. (n)

TurdBerglar
07-03-2005, 03:47 PM
meat loaf is fuckn' disgusting. give me some beef ribs