View Full Version : Brook Shields on Tom Cruise

yeahwho
07-01-2005, 03:30 AM
From the NYTimes op/ed section

July 1, 2005
War of Words
By BROOKE SHIELDS
London

I WAS hoping it wouldn't come to this, but after Tom Cruise's interview with Matt Lauer on the NBC show "Today" last week, I feel compelled to speak not just for myself but also for the hundreds of thousands of women who have suffered from postpartum depression. While Mr. Cruise says that Mr. Lauer and I do not "understand the history of psychiatry," I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Mr. Cruise has never suffered from postpartum depression.

Postpartum depression is caused by the hormonal shifts that occur after childbirth. During pregnancy, a woman's level of estrogen and progesterone greatly increases; then, in the first 24 hours after childbirth, the amount of these hormones rapidly drops to normal, nonpregnant levels. This change in hormone levels can lead to reactions that range from restlessness and irritability to feelings of sadness and hopelessness.

I never thought I would have postpartum depression. After two years of trying to conceive and several attempts at in vitro fertilization, I thought I would be overjoyed when my daughter, Rowan Francis, was born in the spring of 2003. But instead I felt completely overwhelmed. This baby was a stranger to me. I didn't know what to do with her. I didn't feel at all joyful. I attributed feelings of doom to simple fatigue and figured that they would eventually go away. But they didn't; in fact, they got worse.

I couldn't bear the sound of Rowan crying, and I dreaded the moments my husband would bring her to me. I wanted her to disappear. I wanted to disappear. At my lowest points, I thought of swallowing a bottle of pills or jumping out the window of my apartment.

I couldn't believe it when my doctor told me that I was suffering from postpartum depression and gave me a prescription for the antidepressant Paxil. I wasn't thrilled to be taking drugs. In fact, I prematurely stopped taking them and had a relapse that almost led me to drive my car into a wall with Rowan in the backseat. But the drugs, along with weekly therapy sessions, are what saved me - and my family.

Since writing about my experiences with the disease, I have been approached by many women who have told me their stories and thanked me for opening up about a topic that is often not discussed because of fear, shame or lack of support and information. Experts estimate that one in 10 women suffer, usually in silence, with this treatable disease. We are living in an era of so-called family values, yet because almost all of the postnatal focus is on the baby, mothers are overlooked and left behind to endure what can be very dark times.

And comments like those made by Tom Cruise are a disservice to mothers everywhere. To suggest that I was wrong to take drugs to deal with my depression, and that instead I should have taken vitamins and exercised shows an utter lack of understanding about postpartum depression and childbirth in general.

If any good can come of Mr. Cruise's ridiculous rant, let's hope that it gives much-needed attention to a serious disease. Perhaps now is the time to call on doctors, particularly obstetricians and pediatricians, to screen for postpartum depression. After all, during the first three months after childbirth, you see a pediatrician at least three times. While pediatricians are trained to take care of children, it would make sense for them to talk with new mothers, ask questions and inform them of the symptoms and treatment should they show signs of postpartum depression.

In a strange way, it was comforting to me when my obstetrician told me that my feelings of extreme despair and my suicidal thoughts were directly tied to a biochemical shift in my body. Once we admit that postpartum is a serious medical condition, then the treatment becomes more available and socially acceptable. With a doctor's care, I have since tapered off the medication, but without it, I wouldn't have become the loving parent I am today.

So, there you have it. It's not the history of psychiatry, but it is my history, personal and real.

Brooke Shields, the author of "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression," is starring in the musical "Chicago" in London.

ms.peachy
07-01-2005, 03:36 AM
Good for her. I mean really, who the fuck is Tom Cruise to talk about post-partum depression?

ms.peachy
07-01-2005, 03:55 AM
is this postpartum the same as post-natal depression?
yes.

enree erzweglle
07-01-2005, 06:28 AM
That was a nice letter. Most times when celebrity letters are released, you can tell that they are ghost-written. This one probably was but on the first read, it didn't feel like it. It pretty much sounded like something someone would say in conversation (often people speak and write differently). Nice conversational tone to that letter.

And fuck youTom Cruise for that attack.

Kills me when celebrities do shit like that just to get exposure for their projects. Funny how the Russell Crowes of Hollywood always seem to lose their temper in the most public way a couple of weeks before their film is released.

Nuzzolese
07-01-2005, 08:14 AM
On th subject of psychological disorders and Tom Cruise, I suspect that Tom Cruise is now manic. He's always been high energy but I think he is experiencing mania what with his extreme exuberance and wanting to be surrounded by people and fans, the way he seems fearless. It's possible he could become destructive and dangerous or he could crash. I predict he will crash or slide into a depression become bipolar.

zorra_chiflada
07-01-2005, 08:17 AM
or hopefully, he'll die.
the world doesn't need people like him

ms.peachy
07-01-2005, 08:20 AM
On th subject of psychological disorders and Tom Cruise, I suspect that Tom Cruise is now manic. He's always been high energy but I think he is experiencing mania what with his extreme exuberance and wanting to be surrounded by people and fans, the way he seems fearless. It's possible he could become destructive and dangerous or he could crash. I predict he will crash or slide into a depression become bipolar.
And then he'll go onto Paxil! Oh what lovely irony.

Documad
07-01-2005, 08:22 AM
I think that this Tom Cruise thing is the best thing that ever happened to Brooke Shields. She hasn't gotten this much attention since Bob Hope quit doing Christmas specials.

I can be really judgmental about depression and drugs because I saw way too many medicated kids in my past. But my best friend had the worst depression I've ever seen after the birth of her son. She knew it was irrational and it made it all the worse. I spent part of every day with her and it was horrible. I begged her to go on drugs like her doctor suggested because she would be no good to him as she was. And other people were giving her shit and making her feel more guilty because then she couldn't breast feed. Live sane mom more important than breast feeding.

enree erzweglle
07-01-2005, 08:23 AM
I've thought the same thing since that Oprah interview and now the latest Matt Lauer one. Something about him doesn't feel or look right. He's an actor, though, so it's hard to tell.

If he's serious, then I think something is wrong. I think when people do things like that--look for fights, publicly berate like that--they're usually in some sort of emotional trouble. Stress maybe? Who knows, but usually when people act out, it means more than just what they're saying.

In his case, it could be affected; he could be using this as a vehicle for getting exposure and he's bumping it up a few levels. What used to work exposure-wise is now kinda tired/old. Maybe this is his idea of trying to keep it fresh and cutting edge, but it's a little scary. Weird.

adam_f
07-01-2005, 08:23 AM
I'm looking forward to the day when Tom Cruise finally admits that he's a raging homosexual. You know it's coming. Katie Holmes is looking pretty man-ish these days.

Nuzzolese
07-01-2005, 08:55 AM
You know it's coming. Katie Holmes is looking pretty man-ish these days.

*gasp* Bite your tongue, you cock hoarding faggot! She's Audrey Hepburn-esque.

adam_f
07-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Nuzzolese

I'd say more of a tan Jack White.

enree erzweglle
07-01-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm looking forward to the day when Tom Cruise finally admits that he's a raging homosexual. You know it's coming. Katie Holmes is looking pretty man-ish these days.
You think? She looks elegant to me. (Maybe not particularly in Batman Begins, but in every photo op I've seen with her & Tom Cruise, she looks refined, statuesque. Maybe it's easy to look like that next to T.C., though. :))

adam_f
07-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by enree erzweggle
You think? She looks elegant to me. (Maybe not particularly in Batman Begins, but in every photo op I've seen with her & Tom Cruise, she looks refined, statuesque. Maybe it's easy to look like that next to T.C., though. :) )

She was hot on Dawson's Creek.

zorra_chiflada
07-01-2005, 09:07 AM

she's ok.
but sometime her face reminds me of a dog.
but i really like dogs

Nuzzolese
07-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Everybody likes dogs. After sex and babies they're the most effective marketing device for selling things.

zorra_chiflada
07-01-2005, 09:20 AM
for some reason I read this like that.

I got so confused.
I was like "what? Like a cigarette?" :confused:

hahahhahaah!!

ms.peachy
07-01-2005, 09:24 AM
for some reason I read this like that.

I got so confused.
I was like "what? Like a cigarette?" :confused:
Dogs are terrible after sex. They keep trying to shove their cold noses into all your sticky bits.

Echewta
07-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Both of these stars have touch my life and I'm a better man for it. Thank you Tom and Brooke. Thank you.

marsdaddy
07-01-2005, 12:54 PM
I used to want to get between Brooke and her Calvins.

Nuzzolese
07-01-2005, 12:57 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Brooke Shields and Tom Cruise were only in one movie together, 1981's Endless Love (http://imdb.com/title/tt0082329/)

insertnamehere
07-01-2005, 01:01 PM
what was tom talkign about and how did he get on the subject of postpartum depression with matt lauer?

enree erzweglle
07-01-2005, 01:32 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Brooke Shields and Tom Cruise were only in one movie together, 1981's Endless Love (http://imdb.com/title/tt0082329/)
That's where her depression came from. It just took a long time to surface.

Nuzzolese
07-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Two young teenagers, David and Jade, fall in love but the passion is too consuming for the parents of Jade (Brooke). The parents try to stop them from seeing each other. When this doesn't work, David burns down Jade's house and is sent away. When he gets out he goes to look for her. But in the end the passion for his first love is too strong and she has to leave or this love will kill both of them. (!)

Tom Cruise's first movie. He doesn't play David, he has a very short scene only a couple of minutes where he laughs about how he accidentally started a fire and somehow became a hero for warning people about it. This gives David the idea to start a fire at Jade's house and then win over her family again by heroically rescuing them all, but the fire gets out of hand and burns the house down.

yeahwho
07-01-2005, 03:23 PM
One of these days with the help of Tom and Brook, Matt Lauer is finally going to get his shit together. That is what I really see coming about from all this.

PaddyBoy
07-01-2005, 04:07 PM

She was hot for Dawson's Crack.

I enjoyed Brook Shields earlier comment about how Tom Cruise should go back to 'saving the earth from aliens'. Scientologist dickhead.

Auton
07-01-2005, 04:09 PM

nice

marsdaddy
07-01-2005, 04:16 PM
I happened to see CNN a couple of hours ago, and they were talking about this non-stop. Is there a way to get Michael Jackson and Oprah, along with Tom, Brooke, and Matt on Larry King to debate this thing properly?

I know about Tom, but does Brooke have another Lifetime movie in the can?

adam_f
07-01-2005, 04:18 PM