PDA

View Full Version : Things I need to clear up...

Homsar
07-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Me living in the suburbs

I do not live in the suburbs. I do not know exactly how people came to this conclusion and why some of you think I do. I don't even know if there are any suburbs here.

The Dolls

Just about everyone finds the doll piece disturbing. You guys only saw two of the four dolls (and not properly shown either). Yes, they are disturbing...that was the point. Losing one's innocence is a very terrible experience. For me, it felt torturous and slowly being killed. I decided to depict this the best way I could. I decided dolls would best symbolize childhood innocence. The white on the dolls obviously means innocence. With red stained on the white, this shows innocence lost in the most tragic way. The four dolls are all nailed to these wooden boards and hung from the ceiling (hanging it created a very eerie effect rather than have them posted into the ground or leanning against a wall). They are in various torture positions. ***WARNING: GRAPHIC DETAIL***The first doll has it's feet cut off as hot dog meat was shoved inside for effect. Not only were the feet cut off, but also the doll's eyes were plucked out. In place, I put red food dyed tissues inside. The second doll was nailed upside down and blindfolded with two tacks placed where the eyes are. The third doll is probably the only one considered dead. Only the arms are left as we see a trail of blood down the board (as if it slid down). And the last doll was the most terrifying one for me. The feet were nailed in a specific way so the legs are bent (knees outward), whilst the neck was tied down with barbed wire. The belly was cut open and the hands were left free so it could touch the organs inside. If, for some reason, the legs finally gave in, the body was rest against the board with five or so long nails sticking out, with an instant kill.

Now, I apologies for such graphic detail, but I felt you should know about each. This showed the horrible pain I have suffered for the last 17 or so years of my life. This is supposed to be a difficult piece to look at. I almost stopped doing this piece because it was too much for me. Never before had I done something as graphic as this. There was another time where I did a piece on abortion and was truly graphic. The bathroom setting also added to the piece. But this doll piece was much more brutal and disturbing than the abortion piece a couple years earlier.

I normally do not make such violent art and was quite disturbed knowing what was in my head for this. However, I felt this piece has to be the way it is and no other way.

Goth

I don't like labels and I've expressed this before. It'd be nice if you folks would stop using such label on me. Thanks.

zorra_chiflada
07-01-2005, 10:45 AM
well, if it's any consolation, most of the people who commented on your work didn't really know that much about art.

ToucanSpam
07-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Who called you Goth?

Loppfessor
07-01-2005, 10:47 AM
What the crap are you even talking about?? What dolls? Somone pull me into the loop!

kll
07-01-2005, 10:48 AM
What the crap are you even talking about?? What dolls? Somone pull me into the loop!

yeah. i have no idea what this is all about...

but, what's the big deal if someone thinks you live in the suburbs?

Rancid_Beasties
07-01-2005, 10:57 AM
well, if it's any consolation, most of the people who commented on your work didn't really know that much about art.
Its true! I commented and I dont know shit about art. But I still think that the dolls piece was rubbish. Not confronting, just lame and kinda weird.

zorra_chiflada
07-01-2005, 11:00 AM
people shouldn't be so narrowminded about art.
most likely, what homsars dolls meant and represented is more important than what they looked like. that's conceptual art.

Qdrop
07-01-2005, 11:08 AM
for all that don't know...

he is referring to his sure shots debacle in the Family Album...
i think it's on page 408 or so...somewhere around there...

to sum up:
he lives in the suburbs with his mom.

he makes ridiculously generic and predictable abstract "shock art" that would make even liberal arts college freshman blush.

he's so goth, even HE doesn't know.

Rancid_Beasties
07-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Dont get me wrong, I enjoy abstract/conceptual art. Just not something that looks like some year 9 kid found a bunch of old toys in his shed and decided for hes next art project he'd throw it all together, splash a bit of cow organs/blood on it and shock the shit out of his teacher. I agree theres something to be said for the meaning behind art but it just seems so contrived and...lame.

Homsar
07-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Wow, it's just like I was on "This is your life" show!

Loppfessor
07-01-2005, 11:18 AM
for all that don't know...

he is referring to his sure shots debacle in the Family Album...
i think it's on page 408 or so...somewhere around there...

to sum up:
he lives in the suburbs with his mom.

he makes ridiculously generic and predictable abstract "shock art" that would make even liberal arts college freshman blush.

he's so goth, even HE doesn't know.

I'm fairly certain I can take your word for it on this one. You and I tend to see eye to eye on shit like this

avignon
07-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Dear Homsar,

I don't know what terrible tradgedy you keep referring to that caused you to lose your childhood innocence, but I work with children who have been severely abused physically and emotionally. I've been asked questions like "Why did Daddy try to set me on fire?" My response to your art is that it is a blatant use of "shock value" to draw some kind of attention to your emotional suffering.
It pisses me off. It feels staged and seems mocking. The abuse survivors that I know wouldn't care to display this type of art. But that is my personal experiences with people in my life. I don't pretend to know anything about art other that I enjoy viewing it and I interpret it by how it makes me feel. I have no formal education in art. So maybe this shock and anger is what you intended to invoke. I don't know, I don't really care.

I realize that you are young. That your world is expanding every day, and maybe you are frightened by that and have no idea where your place in that expanding world is. The topics you've chosen to address in your art feel very forced to me. Like things that you feel you should express rather than things you really can't help but express. I think that you will eventually know the difference and your place. You'll find your own personal war. Everyone does.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to be condescending. I admit that I know very little about you or art even. I tried to use words like "I feel" and "I think" because I am just expressing my opinions, not pretending to be god and know everything. That's Qdrop's job.

CArry on. I think you add something to this board by being here. :)

Homsar
07-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Sidenote: Shock art is lame and empty.

avignon
07-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Sidenote: Shock art is lame and empty.
Yours on the other hand is full of meat by-products.

ScarySquirrel
07-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Who cares?

Seriously. Big deal. So you don't live in the suburbs. Oh my. Sorry, sir. Here's a coupon for a free extra value meal next time you visit us.

Thanks for the life story on the dolls though. I'm certainly glad you cleared up the way the dolls were dying for all of us, 'cause that was the main point of interest. We needed to know EXACTLY how they were going to bite it. I can rest easily now.

Most goth people don't like being labeled goth either.

Homsar
07-01-2005, 11:54 AM
What?

Loppfessor
07-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I wanna see! Someone send me a link or something.

Qdrop
07-01-2005, 12:09 PM
I wanna see! Someone send me a link or something.

dude, it's in the family album.....recent too.

like page 410...look it up!

Loppfessor
07-01-2005, 12:11 PM
dude, it's in the family album.....recent too.

like page 410...look it up!

Geeze no respect for my laziness...

curses they're not there anymore

Qdrop
07-01-2005, 12:29 PM
curses they're not there anymore

haha...he took them off.

what a coward...

Homsar
07-01-2005, 03:43 PM
No I didn't. Are you sure they are off?

Loppfessor
07-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I looked on I think page 411 or so and it's just the red x picture

zippo
07-01-2005, 03:57 PM
i wanna be a kid again

Homsar
07-01-2005, 03:58 PM
They were up for me.

Try here then and scroll down to the bottom..

http://photobucket.com/albums/b397/plastic_bagster/

Auton
07-01-2005, 04:01 PM
horrible pain? man, if this is about girls....

voltanapricot
07-01-2005, 04:11 PM
How is living in the suburbs relevant? To anything?

Homsar
07-01-2005, 04:15 PM
horrible pain? man, if this is about girls....

Far from it.

like2_drink
07-01-2005, 04:17 PM
i don't like the dolls by anymeans, but i'm not gonna go out of my way to say something negative about them, if they actually mean something then they deserve to be there. IT does however remind me alot of that kid from toy story who ripped the dolls apart, i think his name was sid?

Chicka B
07-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Whoa dude, that's some freaky stuff. I'm sorry for what ever happened that made you lose your childhood innocense, it must've been horrible. Everybody has had something tragic in their lives, some are worse then others though. But I don't know you so I ain't gonna criticize anything. I think that just because somebody wears black and looks melancholy doesn't mean they're goth. I've said it before I don't use labels or whatever such as 'grunge, goth, prep, geek' blah blah blah. That's real immature. People are who they are, even if they are trying to find theirselves and don't know what they are yet.

Freebasser
07-01-2005, 07:00 PM
I fucking hate conceptual art.

Homsar
07-01-2005, 07:03 PM
I fucking hate conceptual art.

Why?

See, I could've posted a really nasty insult that would belittle you, but I don't do such things.

But seriously, why do you hate conceptual art?

DipDipDive
07-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Despite the fact that it was the name of a movement, the term "conceptual art" is bullshit.

If you think about it, all art is conceptual. Different art holds different meanings for different people. If there wasn't room for interpretation, it would be pointless.

I really have no idea what's going on here, I just wanted to bring that to everyone's attention.