PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you see this weekend?

enree erzweglle
07-03-2005, 08:04 PM
I just saw The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill.

It's a quiet, plain & simple movie. Just what I was in the mood for.

All the time I spent in SF/Berkeley and I didn't know about this guy. Wish I had.

I identified with one of the bird characters and saw it with a Connor, one of the other birds from the movie.

I won't give anything away--there's not much to give away anyway--but I'll say that you'll probably like it if you enjoy documentaries and animals, and movies that don't overload you with special effects.

ToucanSpam
07-03-2005, 08:06 PM
I saw Land of the Dead.

I would rather have fire ants crawl up my urethra than see it ever again.

mickill
07-03-2005, 08:21 PM
but I'll say that you'll probably like it if you enjoy documentaries and animals, and movies that don't overload you with special effects.

Hmmmm....I think the special effects are what I enjoyed most about War of the Worlds. There were birds in that movie, as well.

Lindsey_1535
07-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Im seeeein batman later. should be nice. I might buy a koolaid drink.

jennyb
07-03-2005, 09:29 PM
I saw Sideways... eh, it was so-so.

Tzar
07-03-2005, 09:58 PM
i saw Port get beaten by the fucking 'pies!! :mad:
bollocks to ya's!! :mad:

jabumbo
07-03-2005, 10:42 PM

where did you catch that at? i thought it was only playing for a short while at one of the smaller screening rooms...

today i went to see hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. i did know what to expect, but i certainly enjoyed it. it was my type of movie

then i decided to watch about schmidt since i was tired and bored tonight. it was allright, but nothing special. i guess i was just waiting for something big to happen, and it never did...

GreenEarthAl
07-03-2005, 10:56 PM
I saw that Star Wars III back when it came out.

Can't recall if I've seen any others this year.

Probably.

yeahwho
07-03-2005, 11:05 PM

I was in SF in April and the first thing that came to my mind as we drove through Telegraph Hill was that movie. I still haven't seen it....at the top of my list though.

A. Remin' D.
07-03-2005, 11:46 PM
I just got back from War Of The Worlds. It was really good. One of the best new movies I've seen. Great, classic plot. Great actors/acting. Great ending, which is the most important part, to me at least.

(y) (y) - Two Thumbs Up.

enree erzweglle
07-04-2005, 01:32 AM
where did you catch that at? i thought it was only playing for a short while at one of the smaller screening rooms...

today i went to see hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. i did know what to expect, but i certainly enjoyed it. it was my type of movie

then i decided to watch about schmidt since i was tired and bored tonight. it was allright, but nothing special. i guess i was just waiting for something big to happen, and it never did...
The Squirrel Hill theater. It's showing only twice a day.

I haven't seen Hitchhikers Guide yet although I wanted to and not. I loved the book and feared for what they'd to do the movie.

I remember liking About Schmidt but I can't remember why. :o

kll
07-05-2005, 09:56 AM
War of the Worlds

I liked the first half of it, but the end sucked ass...

mickill
07-05-2005, 10:11 AM
War of the Worlds

I heard a lot of people going "huh?" and "what?" and "deez chit is stoopid, mang" when the credits started to roll.

About Schmidt was an awesome movie. Kathy Bate's nude hot tub scene was well worth the price of admission, alone.

sjp
07-05-2005, 10:12 AM
being ron jeremy, was a pretty funny movie bought it for $6

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 10:13 AM
War of the Worlds

My friend said she enjoyed it once she got past the Tom Cruise ego thing. I don't know how that ego manifested itself in the movie. Probably it didn't and she's just hating him some more. She's a year older than TC and she thinks he doesn't act age appropriate. It biases her against him in general.

kll
07-05-2005, 10:15 AM
My friend said she enjoyed it once she got past the Tom Cruise ego thing. I don't know how that ego manifested itself in the movie. Probably it didn't and she's just hating him some more. She's a year older than TC and she thinks he doesn't act age appropriate. It biases her against him in general.

I can't stand TC and I actually thought he did a good job. I liked his character, but like I said, the end sucked (which was not TC's fault-just cheese!)

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 10:17 AM
I was supposed to see War of the Worlds yesterday with friends but we wound up watching a Netflix movie instead. I got to choose which one: The Motorcycle Diaries, Donnie Darko (director's cut), or Y tu mamá también. I chose the latter.

Overrated, or at least what I've seen of it so far is overrated. (We paused it about halfway through.)

kll
07-05-2005, 10:19 AM
I was supposed to see War of the Worlds yesterday with friends but we wound up watching a Netflix movie instead. I got to choose which one: The Motorcycle Diaries, Donnie Darko (director's cut), or Y tu mamá también. I chose the latter.

Overrated, or at least what I've seen of it so far is overrated. (We paused it about halfway through.)

not a good sign when a movie is put "on hold" till a later date...

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 10:38 AM
not a good sign when a movie is put "on hold" till a later date...
I know. I actually did want to and still want to see it. I've heard enough good things.

I have to get with my other group of friends to make that happen. (The one group liked The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill and they didn't like Batman Begins. The other group loved Batman Begins and would probably never even look at the poster for the Parrots movie. It was my mistake for suggesting War of the Worlds to the Parrot-loving group.)

adam_f
07-05-2005, 10:42 AM
War of the Worlds. Tom Cruise is a fag and a half, but I still liked it.

ghettoverit
07-05-2005, 10:42 AM
I watched Velvet Goldmine...weird, but I enjoyed it.

HEIRESS
07-05-2005, 11:54 AM
of mice and men
american psycho
sexy beast

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 11:56 AM
american psycho
sexy beast

...two really great performances! I loved both movies.

(I love Ben Kingsley anyway. I know someone who looks EXACTLY like him. He gets stopped by people.)

I don't remember seeing Of Mice and Men...for some reason, though, I'm thinking Gary Sinise...? If so, I love him too. Was it good?

Beckalina
07-05-2005, 12:07 PM
I saw war of the worlds, and it was shite with a capital tom cruise

teenage dirtbag
07-05-2005, 12:49 PM
i saw war of the worlds. but i sat in between two complete wusses who kept grabbing my arms and telling me to "tell them when the scary part was over". one of them kept yelling Holy Shit! and spilled his icee. that sad part? these people are OLDER than me!!!

Canibal-7
07-05-2005, 01:02 PM
I just got back from War Of The Worlds. It was really good. One of the best new movies I've seen. Great, classic plot. Great actors/acting. Great ending, which is the most important part, to me at least.

(y) (y) - Two Thumbs Up.

Hey, I heard the ending sucks. Actually, so many people told me the ending sucks that I finally asked how it ended. Well, they told and I must agree, it is very stupid.

Anyway, I saw Batman Begins. I liked it. Better than the first, which I thpught was the best.

Mr Films
07-05-2005, 01:03 PM
War of the Worlds was great even though most was just cut and pasting of shit Spielberg has done before. The scene where they're hiding from the alien tendril- seems like I seen that shit a few times before, Steve-O.

Mr Films
07-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Actually, so many people told me the ending sucks that I finally asked how it ended. Well, they told and I must agree, it is very stupid.

it's the original ending from the HG Wells book. And it's quite fitting if you ask me.

Beckalina
07-05-2005, 01:10 PM
it was poor quality and freebasser was left saying "huh"

Canibal-7
07-05-2005, 01:17 PM
it's the original ending from the HG Wells book. And it's quite fitting if you ask me.

Spoilers Ahead

How did the aliens, a super advanced race that has been monitoring our planet for "millions of years" would have looked into whether or not they... you know.

Not to mention the fact that they planted the "tripods" that do all the killing on Earth millions of years ago. If they wanted Earth that bad why didn't they take it "millions of years ago" when they planted the Damn machines in the first place.

Canibal-7
07-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Only worse than that is the ending to Signs (arguably the worst movie of all time) where they kill the aliens with water!

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Hey, I heard the ending sucks. Actually, so many people told me the ending sucks that I finally asked how it ended. Well, they told and I must agree, it is very stupid.

Anyway, I saw Batman Begins. I liked it. Better than the first, which I thpught was the best.

Is it the ending from the book or did they adapt it in some stupid way?

I didn't like the ninja feel to the first bit of Batman Begins. But I realize that that was how the original story was written. I understand that they couldn't really change that part of the story without the batman purists pissing all over them. Still, I didn't like that part of it...it didn't feel batman-y to me.

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 01:22 PM
War of the Worlds was great even though most was just cut and pasting of shit Spielberg has done before.
I do like those Spielberg moments, though. I know he's doing them just to get at people like me but I like them anyway.

Beckalina
07-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Only worse than that is the ending to Signs (arguably the worst movie of all time) where they kill the aliens with water!
yeah war of the worlds was really similar to signs actually

Canibal-7
07-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Is it the ending from the book or did they adapt it in some stupid way?

I didn't like the ninja feel to the first bit of Batman Begins. But I realize that that was how the original story was written. I understand that they couldn't really change that part of the story without the batman purists pissing all over them. Still, I didn't like that part of it...it didn't feel batman-y to me.

I don't know the original ending. But Mr Films says it's the original ending.

Hey, you didn't like that ninja scene at the beginning where they drug Bruce Wayne and do all that crazy stuff? I'm talking about the wild scene right before he "graduates" or whatever. I don't know if it was batman-y or not, because I'm not that big a fan, but that scene was awesome.

Canibal-7
07-05-2005, 01:27 PM
yeah war of the worlds was really similar to signs actually

Really, now I definitely won't see it. In what way?

Anybody here like Signs?

Beckalina
07-05-2005, 01:29 PM
i dunno its about aliens attempting to take over the world, it has a gay underlying gayness and it ends stupidly, so its kinda similar i guess, the effects are good, but good effects does not a good film make

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey, you didn't like that ninja scene at the beginning where they drug Bruce Wayne and do all that crazy stuff? I'm talking about the wild scene right before he "graduates" or whatever. I don't know if it was batman-y or not, because I'm not that big a fan, but that scene was awesome.

He took them all out in one scene. It was very Bruce Lee. But I felt like I was too far away from Gotham. Felt more like I was in Tibet. :)

I love Batman movies for that gotham-city feel.

I thought Christian Bale was amazing.

HEIRESS
07-05-2005, 02:01 PM
...two really great performances! I loved both movies.

(I love Ben Kingsley anyway. I know someone who looks EXACTLY like him. He gets stopped by people.)

I don't remember seeing Of Mice and Men...for some reason, though, I'm thinking Gary Sinise...? If so, I love him too. Was it good?

yeah I hadn't seen american psycho for awhile and my brother told me that sexy beast was pretty great, and it was

of mice and men is a great but sad movie
gary sinise directed it too actually
and malkovich puts down a good performance too

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 02:10 PM
yeah I hadn't seen american psycho for awhile and my brother told me that sexy beast was pretty great, and it was

of mice and men is a great but sad movie
gary sinise directed it too actually
and malkovich puts down a good performance too
Of Mice and Men. I remember the story from the play so I'd be prepared with kleenex. I also remember that I saw this movie now that you mention John Malkovich. It was out awhile ago. (When I read your post, I assumed that it was a newer release.)

I was browsing through a bookstore yesterday. There was a display table with stacks of about 50 different books on it. I looked at those books and remember reading at least 40 of them over time. And I remember knowing whether/not I liked them. I could probably give you a stark description of the plot for a few of them. The rest, I just remember the titles and/or the authors. It's always been that way for me for books and somewhat so for movies. A weird few stand out in memory for reasons that I don't quite understand.

It's sweet and sour. I hate that I forget so much of what I've read but that means that I can read them all over again. :)

BOBBY DIGITAL
07-05-2005, 03:01 PM
I watched about seven minutes of "Shaved and Dangerous." Great action, but the plot sucked.

marsdaddy
07-05-2005, 03:16 PM
We watched Pooh's Hefalump about 3 times -- I thought the ending was forced.

We also started to watch Life Aquatic but it's on pause for a later date, too.

ee, you should have watched Motorcycle Diaries. :|

ToucanSpam
07-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Gotham was pefect. Dirty, uncivilized, violent, frightening.....perfect for Batman. I am amazed at how true to the original story they stayed.

BOBBY DIGITAL
07-05-2005, 03:25 PM

Nice. Actually, when I finished cleaning up from "Shaved and Dangerous," I watched Life Aquatic for the first time. Nothing special yet not bad at all. Definitely had it's moments. Especially the "bulldyke" dialogues. Anyways, it was good, I guess, but far from Tenenbaum genius. Also, Motorcycle Diaries is a kick-ass flick.

DipDipDive
07-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Bull dykes can get pregnant.

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 03:40 PM
We watched Pooh's Hefalump about 3 times -- I thought the ending was forced.

I still can. I have Netflix and those Diaries are just down there waiting for me.
They've been waiting for weeks and weeks. The beauty of Netflix.

There is a Kenny Loggins song from one of the Pooh movies that makes me nostalgic BIG TIME. I'm getting misty thinking of that song right now. My boy grew up on Tigger. (I was going to say, "My boy grew up on Pooh." but I figured that that would get too many EEEWWWWWs from you all.)

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Gotham was pefect. Dirty, uncivilized, violent, frightening.....perfect for Batman. I am amazed at how true to the original story they stayed.
Gotham felt that way. But that little ninja cottage in the Himalayas...that didn't feel that way.

ToucanSpam
07-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Gotham felt that way. But that little ninja cottage in the Himalayas...that didn't feel that way.
I agree, it felt less Batman-y. But I knew this was the beginning of Batman, so I was willing to wait through the Ninjitsuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu to get ot Batman like Batman. Batman Batman Batman? Batman!!!!!! :D

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 03:53 PM
I agree, it felt less Batman-y. But I knew this was the beginning of Batman, so I was willing to wait through the Ninjitsuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu to get ot Batman like Batman. Batman Batman Batman? Batman!!!!!! :D
See--and I'm putting my life in jeopardy saying this here and to you--I didn't know the story of how Batman got to be that way.

And--and God help me again because of your hots for it--I didn't and still don't know the story behind Star Wars episode 3.

mickill
07-05-2005, 03:58 PM
I tried to tell you that you weren't immune, Lara.

ToucanSpam
07-05-2005, 03:58 PM
See--and I'm putting my life in jeopardy saying this here and to you--I didn't know the story of how Batman got to be that way.

And--and God help me again because of your hots for it--I didn't and still don't know the story behind Star Wars episode 3.

Part I: Most people think Joker is behind everything. Ha.

Part II: I've given up on you, ma'am. :(

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Part I: Most people think Joker is behind everything. Ha.

Part II: I've given up on you, ma'am. :(
You know how much I hate the purple frowney.

If I promise to see SW this weekend, will I be redeemed?

I've honestly tried to see it but most of my friends axe me down when I even think about making SW eyes.

ToucanSpam
07-05-2005, 04:18 PM
You know how much I hate the purple frowney.

If I promise to see SW this weekend, will I be redeemed?

I've honestly tried to see it but most of my friends axe me down when I even think about making SW eyes.
You might be alright if you see it this weekend. But you can't punk out. Or I will come and flick your ear.

I wish the sad frowny was blue. More appropriate.

enree erzweglle
07-05-2005, 04:35 PM
You might be alright if you see it this weekend. But you can't punk out. Or I will come and flick your ear.

I wish the sad frowny was blue. More appropriate.
Okay...I promise. If anything, just to avoid the flicking.

You're right about blue. Wink and frowney should swap.

ToucanSpam
07-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Okay...I promise. If anything, just to avoid the flicking.

You're right about blue. Wink and frowney should swap.
we can make one. We have the technology.

PS-Im going to flick your ear anyways. Watch Out!!

Freebasser
07-05-2005, 06:31 PM
I saw War of the Worlds, and the best bit was when Beckalina leaned forward in her chair and looked like she was going to wet her pants with anticipation at the alien crawling out of the downed tripod.

Hilarious.

adrockmelanie
07-05-2005, 07:32 PM
I saw war of the worlds, and it was shite with a capital tom cruise

wavin_goodbye
07-05-2005, 09:50 PM
just saw donnie darko

beastieangel01
07-05-2005, 11:57 PM

I wanted to see that, Howl's Moving Castle, and Rize.

Instead I ended up seeing some of the blockbusters (simply because we wanted to movie hop all day since it was super crowded at the beaches) and at the smaller cinemas that play the above movies, we couldn't hop around. That and I don't feel bad not giving more money to the blockbusters.

Anyway, I saw War of the Worlds and Batman Begins. The former was actually better than I expected, although it had its flaws. Batman Begins was fine, but took itself far too seriously.

BOBBY DIGITAL
07-06-2005, 10:23 AM

hehe. yeah, i remember that. i saw it. thanks.

marsdaddy
07-06-2005, 11:57 AM
hehe. yeah, i remember that. i saw it. thanks.mrs. marsdaddy decided with the lukewarm reviews and the snooze inducing first 45 mins, she would send Life Aquatic back. So, I guess I'll never know about bull dykes.

enree erzweglle
07-06-2005, 12:08 PM
mrs. marsdaddy decided with the lukewarm reviews and the snooze inducing first 45 mins, she would send Life Aquatic back. So, I guess I'll never know about bull dykes.
A friend of mine has only done that (walked out or not finished) with two movies in his life. He's 46. The first was Moron Movies and the second was the latest remake of the Phantom of the Opera.

I saw the latest Phantom (rental, through Netflix) with friends. I was sitting on the floor and everyone else was sitting or laying behind me. About 15 minutes in, I turned around to make a face (a gaggy sort of "I can't believe this movie" face) and two of the three people back there were asleep. When they woke up, we sang sucky lyrics to the more popular/well-known songs and then turned it off.

marsdaddy
07-06-2005, 12:11 PM
A friend of mine has only done that (walked out or not finished) with two movies in his life. He's 46. The first was Moron Movies and the second was the latest remake of the Phantom of the Opera.I'll keep those in mind as to not rent.

A friend of mine probably stops watching 75% of the movies he rents from Netflix within the first 20 mins. He says his time is too valuable if it hasn't hooked him, by then. I take all of his reviews with an even larger grain of salt than a-z's.

enree erzweglle
07-06-2005, 12:35 PM
I'll keep those in mind as to not rent.
I actually bought Moron Movies as a joke for my friend's birthday. It really isn't a movie. It's just awful. Not even funny awful. Just bad, bad awful.

A friend of mine probably stops watching 75% of the movies he rents from Netflix within the first 20 mins. He says his time is too valuable if it hasn't hooked him, by then. I take all of his reviews with an even larger grain of salt than a-z's.
20 minutes into a movie isn't really enough time to know whether it really sucks or not. Although with Moron Movies, 5 minutes'll do you just fine.

a-z :( I miss seeing his posts in the morning.

enree erzweglle
07-10-2005, 06:39 PM
I promised TS I'd see Star Wars this weekend and I did. I walked down to the local theater with book and a bag of blueberries in hand only to find that SW moved out of that theater already. I had to go back home and get myself to a multiplex, which I tend to hate doing.

I dunno, TS...there were thirds to this movie. Each third did trump/improve upon the one before it but overall, I didn't get the hots for it.

The first third? I kept eyeing up my book. Bad dialog between Padme (sp?) and Anakin (sp?). Really bad. And Ewan McGregor's smart one-liners weren't too smart and grew tiresome. I know these movies aren't supposed to be excellent for character development but whoa.

The second third got a little better. I didn't eye up my book as much but I played with my hair lots. I did like the way they portrayed Anakin's downward spiral and lapse gradual descent into Darthness. I've seen people at my work go through that shit when they get all disillusioned over not climbing the ladder the way they want to and they leave for industry. You draw the parallels; that's what I was thinking about in that second third. That and the fact that I really need to get my hair cut.

The third third? ...hello, I didn't know Jimmy Smits was in it. I forget his character's name--it sounded like oregano and he wore a heart on his belt. I watched him when he was in scenes. I also liked the way the movie contrasted the births of Leia and Luke with the rise/birth of Darth Vader. That was nice. (y)

All in all, I dunno, I had a hard time sitting still. The third third redeemed it for me but I wouldn't see it again and I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would given that I don't remember anything about the stories.

Please don't flick my ear.

ToucanSpam
07-10-2005, 06:54 PM
I promised TS I'd see Star Wars this weekend and I did. I walked down to the local theater with book and a bag of blueberries in hand only to find that SW moved out of that theater already. I had to go back home and get myself to a multiplex, which I tend to hate doing.

I dunno, TS...there were thirds to this movie. Each third did trump/improve upon the one before it but overall, I didn't get the hots for it.

The first third? I kept eyeing up my book. Bad dialog between Padme (sp?) and Anakin (sp?). Really bad. And Ewan McGregor's smart one-liners weren't too smart and grew tiresome. I know these movies aren't supposed to be excellent for character development but whoa.

The second third got a little better. I didn't eye up my book as much but I played with my hair lots. I did like the way they portrayed Anakin's downward spiral and lapse gradual descent into Darthness. I've seen people at my work go through that shit when they get all disillusioned over not climbing the ladder the way they want to and they leave for industry. You draw the parallels; that's what I was thinking about in that second third. That and the fact that I really need to get my hair cut.

The third third? ...hello, I didn't know Jimmy Smits was in it. I forget his character's name--it sounded like oregano and he wore a heart on his belt. I watched him when he was in scenes. I also liked the way the movie contrasted the births of Leia and Luke with the rise/birth of Darth Vader. That was nice. (y)

All in all, I dunno, I had a hard time sitting still. The third third redeemed it for me but I wouldn't see it again and I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would given that I don't remember anything about the stories.

Please don't flick my ear.

(n) :mad: (n) :mad:

As you can tell from my selected emoticons, I am mad.

QueenAdrock
07-10-2005, 06:58 PM
I saw The Jacket. DO NOT rent this. It's like a backwards-Frenquency, with no explanation of how he's able to go forward in time. At all. At least in Frequency, they said it was because of some kind of crossed radio paths (still not believable, but whatever). They don't even try to explain it in this movie.

Sux0r. I'm mad at my friend for making me watch it.

enree erzweglle
07-10-2005, 07:03 PM
I saw Mad Hot Ballroom which was okay to watch. The showing I saw...filled with oldies. I mean really old oldies. They were droppin like flies all throughout...lots of snoring. I just liked the movie. A bit predictable but okay fun.

QueenAdrock
07-10-2005, 07:04 PM
OH YEAH! I also rented Wet Hot American Summer. Everyone, do yourself a favor, and rent this movie. So fucking funny. (y)

ToucanSpam
07-10-2005, 07:05 PM
I saw Fantastic Four.

Cheesy, but if you like comic book movies and aren't fussy, go see it. I also watched The Lost World: Jurassic Park, another of my favorite trilogies, if not my favorite.

QueenAdrock
07-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Favorite TRIlogy? NOOOOOOOOOOO

The first two were awesome. Number 3 made me cry. Because they're just straining really hard for ways to get them on the damn island again. AND WHAT KIND OF FUCKING DINOSAUR CAN KILL THE T-REX? THAT'S SACRILIGIOUS IF YOU ASK ME :mad:

My friend and I had a convo about it a few weeks ago, actually:

Me: yeah, they have a contract for up to 6 movies for Jurassic Park, so it's just going to go even more downhill
Me: the next movie, they're going to have to have a super-wacky way that they get on the island...or maybe they'll have the dinosaurs come to US!
Me: they escape the island, come into a restaurant in crowded NYC (don't ask how they got there) and a velociraptor comes in and slashes some guy who's eating's guts out all over the table
Dave: Yeah, then his head falls in a bowl of soup and they have a trombone play "wah-wah-wah-WAAAAAH" in a comically hilarious fashion.

ToucanSpam
07-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Favorite TRIlogy? NOOOOOOOOOOO

The first two were awesome. Number 3 made me cry. Because they're just straining really hard for ways to get them on the damn island again. AND WHAT KIND OF FUCKING DINOSAUR CAN KILL THE T-REX? THAT'S SACRILIGIOUS IF YOU ASK ME :mad:

My friend and I had a convo about it a few weeks ago, actually:

Me: yeah, they have a contract for up to 6 movies for Jurassic Park, so it's just going to go even more downhill
Me: the next movie, they're going to have to have a super-wacky way that they get on the island...or maybe they'll have the dinosaurs come to US!
Me: they escape the island, come into a restaurant in crowded NYC (don't ask how they got there) and a velociraptor comes in and slashes some guy who's eating's guts out all over the table
Dave: Yeah, then his head falls in a bowl of soup and they have a trombone play "wah-wah-wah-WAAAAAH" in a comically hilarious fashion.
Jurassic Park the first one is my favorite movie of all time. The second one was equally fantastic to me. The third one did make me cry a river of blood.

I read a possible script for the fourth installment. It spoke of a task force fo 5 genetically modifed velociraptors in a police force. I died a lot that day.

wavin_goodbye
07-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Hero, 14 times, without sound.

yup, i work in a movie store.

Yorkshire~Rose
07-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Just been to see The Descent - best horror film i've seen in a while. Blood and guts galore and it frightened the life out of me.

I loved it! (y) :D

AKAsharpchedda
07-24-2005, 12:10 PM
dodgeball

QueenAdrock
07-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Garden State.

It was okay, but I'd like a tragic ending rather than this stupid love bullshit they had going on.

I hate sappiness.

enree erzweglle
07-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Freaks (from 1932)

Garden State and Igby Goes Down are waiting for me

monkey
07-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Last Days.

holy shit.

Mr.Right
07-25-2005, 05:00 AM
-Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

-Who Framed Roger Rabbit

enree erzweglle
07-25-2005, 05:57 AM
I watched Garden State last night.

It was okay but it felt like it was trying a little too hard to be something...maybe quirky.

I thought Natalie Portman was pretty bad.

Zach Braff and Peter Sarsgaard were good together. Good chemistry between them and I liked, especially, the way Mark was portrayed. Not over the top--he didn't try to steal scenes.

I found myself liking the accompanying music more than the movie. At times, the sounds of the music or the lyrics so perfectly fit a scene that they tended to distract me from the plot itself.

The last time I noticed music in a movie was when I saw A Beautiful Mind.

TAL
07-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Wicker Park yesterday.

I was sort of hoping that they wouldn't find each other at the end.

avignon
07-25-2005, 08:27 AM
I saw The Jacket. DO NOT rent this. It's like a backwards-Frenquency, with no explanation of how he's able to go forward in time. At all. At least in Frequency, they said it was because of some kind of crossed radio paths (still not believable, but whatever). They don't even try to explain it in this movie.

Sux0r. I'm mad at my friend for making me watch it.
I watched the first part of it yesterday. (n) Turned it off and picked up a book ( Pigs In Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver )
My mom sent me Pooh's Heffalump Movie. Haven't watched it yet.

Constantine. (n) (n) Double suck.

Million Dollar Baby. Excellent. (y) (y) Two thumbs up.

avignon
07-25-2005, 08:29 AM
The last time I noticed music in a movie was when I saw A Beautiful Mind.
Life Aquatic.

which I loved.

enree erzweglle
07-25-2005, 08:54 AM
Million Dollar Baby. Excellent. (y) (y) Two thumbs up.

I thought it was excellent too.

Hillary Swank sometimes looks like a female Jonny Lang.

I saw that movie twice and still feel like I missed a lot of it.

The first time, I went to the wrong theater and couldn't find my friends there--I gave up looking for them and went inside to watch the movie, but I spent too much time worrying about them to enjoy it 100%.

The second time, I saw it with a friend who is deaf in one ear and is losing hearing hard in the other one. He's struggled with this problem forever--he's had it all his life--but it doesn't keep him from seeing movies--he just needs high volume & low bass (at a multiplex) and someone to interpret the bits he misses or that he can't read for himself. We went to a local theater that had bad, bassy sound, so he missed lots and I think I missed a lot of the nuances too as I was relating to him what was being said.

I guess that means I should see it a third time but I don't know that I could watch that ending a third time.

jennyb
07-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I saw 'The Island' and really really really liked it a lot. :) (y)

The beginning had a good story line going and then the 2nd half gave way to numerous explosions, crashes, and mayhem. But the explosions, crashes and mayhem were crazy! Some over the top but hey, that's what I expect when I go to a movie. Oh yeah and Ewan and Scarlett were smokin!!! The sets were great!

This film really got you thinking about the moral dos and don'ts that could be said of cloning. All in all, I'd say it was fun and I'd definately watch it again.

Freebasser
07-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Deep Throat.

abcdefz
07-25-2005, 03:20 PM
I didn't get out to see Last Days after all, which means I've now gone almost an entire month without seeing a movie. :eek:

QueenAdrock
07-25-2005, 04:12 PM
I just got done with The Village. I already knew the ending, so maybe that made it even shittier.

I wish I had two sets of hands so I could give that movie FOUR THUMBS DOWN!

(n) (n) (n) (n)

kll
07-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle, even when stoned, has got to be the dumbest movie ever - so NOT funny! (n)

QueenAdrock
07-25-2005, 04:21 PM
^I know, right?! Everyone was like "It's so funny!" so I thought it was gonna be something like real stupid yet funny like, umm...The Wrong Guy (go rent this, same kind of Dumb & Dumber comedy), but it wasn't! The only part that made me laugh was the commercial where the kid was like "WOW, i'm so HIGH!" and shoves the shotgun in his mouth.

HEIRESS
07-25-2005, 04:25 PM
The Jacket - fell asleep, cant comment at this time

The Chorus - fell asleep, cant comment at this time

enree erzweglle
07-25-2005, 04:26 PM
I just got done with The Village. I already knew the ending, so maybe that made it even shittier.

I wish I had two sets of hands so I could give that movie FOUR THUMBS DOWN!

(n) (n) (n) (n)
I liked that movie but only only because I like [to look at] Joaquin Phoenix.

kll
07-25-2005, 04:29 PM
^I know, right?! Everyone was like "It's so funny!" so I thought it was gonna be something like real stupid yet funny like, umm...The Wrong Guy (go rent this, same kind of Dumb & Dumber comedy), but it wasn't! The only part that made me laugh was the commercial where the kid was like "WOW, i'm so HIGH!" and shoves the shotgun in his mouth.

haha! me too!!!!!! seriously!!!!!!

we didn't even finish it - unanimous vote of 4 totally different kinds of people to TURN IT OFF!

TAL
07-25-2005, 04:32 PM
They showed Dude, Where's My Car? on tv this evening. I watched it, that's how bored I felt today.

CrankItUp!
07-25-2005, 04:58 PM
My First Mister ( w/ Leelee Sobieski )

enree erzweglle
07-25-2005, 05:03 PM
They showed Dude, Where's My Car? on tv this evening. I watched it, that's how bored I felt today.
Hey dude you have a tattoo!
You too!!
What's mine say??
SWEET!
What about mine??
DUDE!!

abcdefz
07-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Last Days.

holy shit.

I saw "Last Days"

That Gus Van Zandt movie about Kurt Cobain - TERRIBLE.

Talk to me, kids.

marsdaddy
07-25-2005, 05:33 PM
We saw War of the Worlds this weekend. Enjoyable except for the ending.

Trimm Trabb
07-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Edward Scissorhands was on telly again, and I had nothing better to do...
So I watched it...

And I 'awww'ed at Mr. Depp.

:o

abcdefz
07-25-2005, 05:40 PM
Edward Scissorhands was on telly again, and I had nothing better to do...
So I watched it...

And I 'awww'ed at Mr. Depp.

:o

..that was the first thing I'd ever seen him in, and I couldn't understand why people gave him so much shit as being a pretty-boy-no-chops-actor. He did so much with almost no words... it was clear that he had the goods.

Stupid
07-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Just been to see The Descent - best horror film i've seen in a while.

Definitely. (y)

I spent the majority of the film hiding behind me hands, even screamed out loud at one point. I am a wimp when it comes to horror films though. :o

TAL
07-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Hey dude you have a tattoo!
You too!!
What's mine say??
SWEET!
What about mine??
DUDE!!
Don't quote it.

Yorkshire~Rose
08-12-2005, 06:09 AM
Once again - not weekend viewing but this week i saw...

The Skeleton Key - oooh i think that managed a 6.5/10
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory - almost perfect 9/10
The Devil's Rejects - brutal but brilliant - 8.5/10

TAL
08-12-2005, 07:53 AM
You should post on Mondays and pretend you saw them over the weekend.

Beckalina
08-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory - almost perfect 9/10

hell yes! Dorris is my new queen.

Mary-Kate
08-12-2005, 02:37 PM
I saw Dukes of Hazzard last weekend.

jennyb
09-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Red-Eye - What a hunk of poo poo. (n)

40 yr old Virgin - Quite the barrel o laughs! (y)

Beth
09-25-2005, 01:06 PM
shaolin chastity kung fu. :mad:

i loathe kung fu movies. bobby loves them (his only flaw) and purchased two wu tang 5 disc sets. :(

ToucanSpam
09-25-2005, 01:41 PM
i loathe kung fu movies.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

little j
09-25-2005, 06:52 PM
i watched matilda, the mask, the truman show, american pie 2, some movie about a magical marijuana forest...i think thats all

TurdBerglar
09-25-2005, 07:02 PM
lord of war... fuckn' terrible

and i knew it would be

zorra_chiflada
09-25-2005, 09:59 PM
the life aquatic.
didn't like it much, but it was ok.

oh, and jurassic park.

BionicEye
09-25-2005, 10:30 PM
40 year old virgin - very funny

Paul Kemp
09-25-2005, 11:23 PM
The Third Man. One of my favourite movies. The scene in the ferris wheel and the chase in the sewers are 2 of the best moments in film history.

TAL
09-25-2005, 11:29 PM

It was long and I was sleepy. But I think it was good.

dancin2beasties
09-26-2005, 12:05 AM
i saw flight plan on friday and i thought it was really good. i wasnt expecting much of it since the previews made it out to look exactly like "the forgotten" which was pretty much one of the stupidest movies ive ever seen. this one had a really well thought out plot though. i liked it a lot, anyone else see it yet?

i saw the 40 yr old version 2 weeks ago, soo funny haha the ending was the best part :D

laurie_hammy
09-26-2005, 04:56 AM
Spiderman 2, Loved it.

Hiebz
09-26-2005, 05:18 AM
Bewitched (Ma Socière Bien-Aimée) , wife loved it - I liked it alright. Will Ferrel still came across for me even though it was a french voice dubbed over it.

Also seen lately -
The Island - alright,
The Dukes of Hazard (Sherif fais-moi peur) - alright - but I came in with low low expectations and in a good mood. Would have been much better without Jessica Simpson.

The Wedding Crashers (Serial Noceurs) - LMAO, may see it again in english to get more of it

kll
09-26-2005, 10:36 AM
I also saw Flightplan this weekend and actually liked it. My boyfriend who can figure out most movies within the first 15 minutes enjoyed it too and the ending was unexpected for both of us.

Dr Deaf
09-26-2005, 04:03 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

she'll come around, don't worry. if my only 'flaw' is an interest in kung fu flicks, i think i'm doing aight.

in addition to shaolin chastity kung fu, i also watched: the 10 magnificent killers and fury in shaolin temple.

adrockmelanie
09-26-2005, 05:37 PM
we saw flight plan and corpse bride at the theater,

and we rented oldboy and mindhunters to watch at home.

i actually liked flight plan. the ending didn't really live up to all of the twists that happened during the movie, but it was still good for the most part. i didn't like corpse bride. people are comparing it to the nightmare before christmas and james and the giant peach. i totally love both of those, and i think they're both way better than corpse bride in every way. it was just boring.. the songs were terrible.. not catchy at all like in nightmare/james.. and it was just too predictable to be good. whatever.

mindhunters was alright. the corny lines that ll cool j had every once in a while were pretty lame, but there was a cool death scene at the beginning that i totally wasn't expecting that soon and with that actor. old boy is good. i hate movies with subtitles, but there were lots of badass stuff in this one.

Mary-Kate
09-26-2005, 09:14 PM
I haven't seen a movie in weeks.

However, I did watch Behind the Music with the Backstreet Boys, and it was very much worth my time!

BeastieLips
09-26-2005, 10:59 PM
i finally saw 8-mile... while trying coke for the first time. good movie. i usually can't stand eminem but it had some great great MC battles. cocaine is kinda fun too. :cool:

Sarky Devotchka
09-27-2005, 12:27 AM
Corpse Bride, half of Hitchhiker's Guide and this movie we bought on VHS called Winter Break.

Winter Break actually takes place over a year...so I'm not sure about the title. It's supposed to be a madcap ski bum party comedy with Milo Ventimiglia from Gilmore Girls. He's not funny though, except this one part where he raps about being a big bear or something. it's more embarassing than funny. oh! and eddie kaye thomas from american pie is in it as a creepy guy who can never land a girl! awww, but in the end he does.

enree erzweglle
10-03-2005, 06:52 AM
The Greatest Game Ever Played

I was obligated to see it, so don't beat me up.

It pulled each of the strings that I own and then went digging around for more. They used golfball cam (or rather swooshing air cam) too often. I liked the way they portrayed concentration and self-doubt, although, like air-cam shots, those effects were overused.

Shia LaBeouf, who played the adult Francis Ouimet, acted and looked a lot like my son. I image-googled him and he only looks like my kid in scenes from the golf movie. I found myself watching and studying the actor instead of looking at the movie. Which was probably okay because there wasn't too much else to do except wonder what club you'd use or recommend in similar golf situations.

It's weird when a movie takes you out of itself because you notice the effects or an actor's performance or the scenery (not that my experience with the golf movie is the same, but it reminded me of that a little). When I saw A Beautiful Mind, I was distracted by the music because it fit each scene perfectly. It was so touching and telling that I found myself closing my eyes and listening to scenes instead of watching them. I had to see that movie a few times to take it in completely without being distracted by any one thing, to see it as an assembled piece instead of the various performances, or the plot and subplots, or the scenery, or the music.

I would only go to see the golf movie if you need something innocuous to watch in mixed company. And if you have a free rental coming up. If you haven't eat beforehand. If you maybe really like golf or owe a favor to someone who does. I was the youngest person in the theater.

Tzar
10-03-2005, 06:54 AM
i saw hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy the other day. my bro rented it out.

wasn't bad. the president is a funny schmuck. love that guy's seedy smile. (y)

scotty
10-03-2005, 06:55 AM
I'm going to watch some Futurama soon.

enree erzweglle
04-03-2006, 09:54 AM
I saw Slither (http://www.popsacrifice.com/uploads/slither.jpg) :o with my dad :p

I was reluctant to bump my own thread but I'd rather do that than start a new one.

enree erzweglle
04-08-2006, 04:31 PM
I won't make a habit of bumping this thread. I thought about making a dedicated post for this movie but I didn't. I don't like to make new threads.

Tsotsi. Maybe most of you have seen it. My city tends not to get movies until it's nearly too late. My weekend plans shifted unexpectedly, so I ran some errands--mailed a letter & my taxes, went to the library & gym. After that, Tsotsi was just about to start, so I went in cold, not knowing a thing about it.

I loved this movie. Absolutely. Without giving anything away that you won't get in previews, it's about choices and what can happen in even the most stubborn of lives when goodness & purity cross into it.

Sometimes you do or see or read or overhear some sort of uneventful-seeming something--some particular thing happens and you're there for it, but it maybe seems more like it's there for you. It resonates hard with you, it's like your own private message because something in it speaks nearly directly to you, nudges you into new thoughts or steers you out particular impasses in the thoughts that you've got. This story was that for me and it was significant on a few different levels. I feel completely blessed to have seen it.

CrankItUp!
04-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Almost Famous is what me gal and I watched last night - good movie. (y)

b-grrrlie
04-08-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm off to the cinema club tomorrow to see Paris, Texas with my sister.