PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar Thread

samoan_boy33
08-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Yes, I'm bipolar..and proud of it! I figure why not represent all us self wallowing schitzo melodramatic freaks. Were all discorsed by paralled parties of mass emotional distress! Post now you cheerfully depressed child!

zippo
08-07-2005, 10:26 PM
i think everyone born after 1999 is gonna be bipolar

QueenAdrock
08-07-2005, 10:38 PM
It's so freakin' retarded. I was diagnosed as "soft-bipolar" when I was 15 and put on lithium. 5 years later they realize, oh hey, she was just a teenager going through some wicked-bad mood swings.

I'm starting to hate a lot of psychologists, because they're ass-clowns. My 3-month old kitten died when I was 7 (drown and froze in our pool and I was the one who found him), and I withdrew from everything and wouldn't talk because I was so traumatized and upset. They said that all I needed was more discipline, because I was just being stubborn with the whole "not wanting to talk thing."

Yeah, great therapy. Assholes.

zippo
08-07-2005, 10:46 PM
yea were done here
*queenadrock and zippo linger for a few seconds, look around, put hands in pockets and casually try to walk away*

...uh, bipolars are cool :D (y)

QueenAdrock
08-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Awesome. Where are we going?

zippo
08-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Awesome. Where are we going?

well...to a correctional facility for the too harsh

QueenAdrock
08-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Can we stop for tacos?

zippo
08-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Can we stop for tacos?

stopping for tacos it is; tacos, lucky strikes, and tequilalallalalla ---->Kiss shaking tongue out thing

Documad
08-07-2005, 11:21 PM
I'm sure I'm going to offend half the board, but I'm so fucking sick of people on meds.

I keep having this thing happen where I spent some time with people I used to be close to, they're totally different, they never laugh, and I get a bad robot vibe; then a short time later I find out they're on antidepressants. Are you supposed to take the pills forever? Because I thought you weren't supposed to take the pills forever. And every other kid in juvenile court was on meds. Is that forever?

Mallrat109
08-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Yes, I'm bipolar..and proud of it! I figure why not represent all us self wallowing schitzo melodramatic freaks. Were all discorsed by paralled parties of mass emotional distress! Post now you cheerfully depressed child!
Start hanging out with the guy in my avatar.

monkey
08-08-2005, 12:24 AM
antidepressants are making sure im still alive. i say yay.

but im not bipolar. im just genetically screwed. :)

TurdBerglar
08-08-2005, 12:26 AM
i wish i was vaginally screwed

DandyFop
08-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Bipolar Smiley Man sympathizes

:D :mad: :eek: :mad: :(

DandyFop
08-08-2005, 12:31 AM
:o :D :mad: :( :(

DandyFop
08-08-2005, 12:32 AM
:confused:

:mad:

:(

Documad
08-08-2005, 12:34 AM
antidepressants are making sure im still alive. i say yay.
I don't know you Pauli, and you don't have to answer. But if you or someone else knows I would appreciate it.

I keep wondering about a family member of mine who has been on prozac for way longer than I thought she was supposed to be. I get that the drugs help her cope and I believe that they have saved her life, but it seems like she's not doing anything except the drugs. I'd be happier about the drugs if at the same time she was working on some root cause or something. I can't imagine her taking the drugs for 60 years.

I had a friend who was diagnosed bipolar in school. She was from a very religious background with a dad in the clergy. She engaged in a lot of self destructive behavior for a long time, then she finally came out as gay, and she was suddenly able to cope. She's still bipolar (as is her sister), and there are still symptoms, but it's so much better now that she's out.

Documad
08-08-2005, 12:36 AM
:o :D :mad: :( :(
:-)

stupid internet wouldn't let me use a 6th smiley.

Loppfessor
08-08-2005, 01:04 AM
i think everyone born after 1999 is gonna be bipolar

Is that because they will never know the joy of rocking out to that Prince song in joyful anticipation thinking "Oh man I can't wait till it's really 1999 and I can play this track!" ???

monkey
08-08-2005, 01:33 AM
I don't know you Pauli, and you don't have to answer. But if you or someone else knows I would appreciate it.

I keep wondering about a family member of mine who has been on prozac for way longer than I thought she was supposed to be. I get that the drugs help her cope and I believe that they have saved her life, but it seems like she's not doing anything except the drugs. I'd be happier about the drugs if at the same time she was working on some root cause or something. I can't imagine her taking the drugs for 60 years.

I had a friend who was diagnosed bipolar in school. She was from a very religious background with a dad in the clergy. She engaged in a lot of self destructive behavior for a long time, then she finally came out as gay, and she was suddenly able to cope. She's still bipolar (as is her sister), and there are still symptoms, but it's so much better now that she's out.

i happen to think that just taking antidepressants is irresponsible. i personally dont like it. GOOD therapy alongside with a very short term and closely monitored bout of drug therapy is probably what allows people to move on from their bad bouts and allows them to deal with it better.
eh. im not a psychiatrist. but i got lucky and i got a good one.

b-grrrlie
08-08-2005, 05:01 AM
:-)

stupid internet wouldn't let me use a 6th smiley.
Thank Danny for that :(

I thought bipolar meant bisexual, but guess it doesn't as everyone's talking about anti-depressants...

Documad
08-08-2005, 08:11 AM
i happen to think that just taking antidepressants is irresponsible. i personally dont like it. GOOD therapy alongside with a very short term and closely monitored bout of drug therapy is probably what allows people to move on from their bad bouts and allows them to deal with it better.
eh. im not a psychiatrist. but i got lucky and i got a good one.
You seem to have a very healthy attitude. It bothers me that my family member doesn't seem to see a doctor for anything except another prescription. I don't know any psychiatrists, but I know a lot of social workers and chemical dependency counsellors, so I know there's value in the therapy part. I assume that there's a chemical component to the illness, but my friend's sister who was one of the nuttier bipolar people I ever met learned a lot in therapy--a lot of tricks to recognize syptoms and cope with them.

I thought bipolar meant bisexual, but guess it doesn't as everyone's talking about anti-depressants...
It's funny, but the two do go together quite often in my very limited experience. I know nothing about psychiatry, and I never heard of bipolar until about 1990 when I started meeting people who had the diagnosis. With one friend, she had the uppest ups and the lowest lows. I had no idea what was going on--just that she was the most fun friend I had for drinking and partying. It took me a while to figure out that there was a bad, self-destructive side to all of that. The people I've known who were bipolar (like her) also had a whole mess of family problems and so it's difficult to know what's what.

miss soul fire
08-08-2005, 08:34 AM

I totally agree with you. I have a cousin who's in the same situation, except she takes a lot of other medicines, especially lexotan and she doesn't take just one, but 2 or 3 at once. She says she just wants to be able to sleep, but that's not all, she also takes pills to loose weight and medecines for constipation. I don't know how she's still alive. She really thinks medicines will save her life and as you said it's much easier for the person to cope with the situation, but I don't believe such palliative measures should last that long. What kind of life is that? You survive, you don't live. She goes to work at 10:00AM, gets back home at about 7:00PM and then she goes to bed (barely eats now). She just lies there and her maid brings her everything. I'm not saying it's easy. I've had depression once, but I didn't think the medecines were helping at all. I used to feel asleep the whole day. So, you just sleep to forget the problem and that's it?! I know there are other medecines for anxiety and I took one and when I didn't have it anymore I freaked out, so I just let them go (about a year ago) and I feel much better. I had no energy to do anything else and even if I had that wouldn't solve the problem. It's hard, I know. But being in that condition for such a long time doesn't sound healthy. I'm not talking about the bipolar people because I don't know that much about it, so I can't take any decicive conclusions yet.

It's all in the roots of the problem. I'm glad I don't have depression anymore. In my case, letting go the medicines was the best thing to do. Well, not everyone responds in the same way, but the idea of taking medicines to make you feel better your whole life sounds pretty sad.:(

iceygirl
08-08-2005, 08:36 AM
It's funny, but the two do go together quite often in my very limited experience. I know nothing about psychiatry, and I never heard of bipolar until about 1990 when I started meeting people who had the diagnosis. With one friend, she had the uppest ups and the lowest lows. I had no idea what was going on--just that she was the most fun friend I had for drinking and partying. It took me a while to figure out that there was a bad, self-destructive side to all of that. The people I've known who were bipolar (like her) also had a whole mess of family problems and so it's difficult to know what's what.

bingo. i notice that of people with this diagnosis slapped on them have had some sort of trauma that they endured. the body does amazing things to allow the person to get through stressful times. coping mechanisms and such. most psych dr's follow the trend of treating the symptoms and ignoring the problem. the drug companies pay them a lot of money to dish them out their fancy pills.
the human brain is much too complicated to slap such a broad label on so many people. not many dr's will tell you that there is a vast amount that they dont know about the brain and how it works, but that is the truth.

JBernas
08-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Bipolar is different than just depression. Someone who is truly bipolar will probably need to be on medication for the rest of their lives or they will relapse...I had a friend whose mother was bipolar (plus I have a BS in Psychology). She would frequently go off her meds when she started to feel better then all of a sudden she was either up repainting the kitchen at 3am rambling on and on or holed up in her bedroom for a week.....it's a chemical imbalance. With depression, it's more centered around therapy and coping mechanisms with short-term meds.

iceygirl
08-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Bipolar is different than just depression. Someone who is truly bipolar will probably need to be on medication for the rest of their lives or they will relapse...I had a friend whose mother was bipolar (plus I have a BS in Psychology). She would frequently go off her meds when she started to feel better then all of a sudden she was either up repainting the kitchen at 3am rambling on and on or holed up in her bedroom for a week.....it's a chemical imbalance. With depression, it's more centered around therapy and coping mechanisms with short-term meds.

that is what i was told too, 10 years ago. turns out i was misdiagnosed and not recommened to see a therapist by my first dr who i saw for 8 years. i am not saying that people dont experience mania and depression, i am saying that misdiagnosis' happen all the time, and sadly a lot of dr's dont encourage the person to try and dig deep and figure out what the core of the problem is.

QueenAdrock
08-08-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm sure I'm going to offend half the board, but I'm so fucking sick of people on meds.

I keep having this thing happen where I spent some time with people I used to be close to, they're totally different, they never laugh, and I get a bad robot vibe; then a short time later I find out they're on antidepressants. Are you supposed to take the pills forever? Because I thought you weren't supposed to take the pills forever. And every other kid in juvenile court was on meds. Is that forever?

I completely understand, my boyfriend has to take meds for his ADD which turns him into a sweaty, unfunny robot. But at least he gets his work done. And it only lasts 10 hours and he only takes it when he needs it.

I've had severe panic attacks for the past few years, so my body can't produce (or the re-uptake is fucked up) serotonin or some shit. All I know is I physically have high anxiety and being in anxious situations (going out to eat, going to amusement parks, basically a lot of places in public) makes me feel like I'm going to die. Kinda like in Kill Bill 2 where the Bride is in that casket buried 6 feet under, that's the feeling I get. The "HOLY SHIT, WHAT DO I DO?!" feeling. So I've HAD to be on meds to help it out. I really, REALLY hate being on meds (sexual side effects, dry mouth, insomnia, etc.), so when I ran out a few weeks ago, I tried to see if I was "cured". I'm still getting some anxiety, but so far no panic attacks *knock on wood*. I really, really hope that I don't get another one, because I HATE being on medication. But sometimes, it is necessary, if you're lacking a chemical that makes you function. :(

samoan_boy33
08-09-2005, 12:43 AM
I've always believed that medications tend to expand the effects of dealing with my manic depression. I think it's just that when your always putting chemicals that are not natural in your system, your body eventually finds a lot more problems from the first problem you had to begin with. So these anti-depressent drugs either help or cause more damage in my opinion.