PDA

View Full Version : ToucanSpam's Rental of the Week

ToucanSpam
08-14-2005, 10:58 AM
I like renting movies. I like watching them in the comfort of my living room with my friends and family. Sooooooo I thought I would make a thread where I review the movies I rent on the weekends. I will give them 1-5 :D to represent what I think is quality. Then I will either recommend the movie, or poo poo all over it. Enjoy!

YoungRemy
08-14-2005, 11:20 AM
so wheres the review?

ToucanSpam
08-14-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm typing it now. :D

Mr_Complex
08-14-2005, 11:38 AM
I can't wait.

:D :D :D :D :D

ToucanSpam
08-14-2005, 11:56 AM
A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Director: Stanley Kubrick

Principle characters: Alexander 'Alex' DeLarge, played by Malcolm McDowell

Awards: Nominated for 4 Oscars:
Best Director-Stanley Kubrick
Best Film Editing-Bill Butler
Best Picture-Stanley Kubrick
Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium-Stanley Kubrick

Plot: Young hoodlum Alex DeLarge, the leader of a British gang of four 'droogs', is a fan of the old ultra violence. His gang travels around by night, pulling small time thefts as well as vicious beatings and rapings. The thrill of being a criminal catches up with him, when his gang members decide to turn on him and leave him to take the fall for the crimes. Taken to prison, Alex does his best to suck up and get out as quick as he can. After two years of incarceration, Alex discovers a new way to get out fo jail faster; he learns of a new technique for curing the criminally insane, known as the Ludovico Treatment. Desperate to return to his criminal ways, Alex signs away his agreement to undergo this treatment, and as a result, leave treatment and prison in no more than a fortnight. What Alex does not know is what kind of treatment he is going to recieve. Once settled in his dorm room within the treatment facility, he begins treatment. He is given an experimental serum after every meal, and sent to a room that looks a lot like the movie theatre. The doctors strap him in, force open his eyes, and start the films. The films depict the very thing Alex loves: the old ultra violence. He ejoys it until suddenly, in the pit of his stomach, an extremely uncomfortable feeling begins to emerge. He begins to feel near death and in an extreme amount of pain. The treamtents continue for a fortnight until they test him to see if the treament was a success. It was and he is sent free to go, released back into society. Upon re-entry, he not only realizes that he has been replaced by his loving mother and father with a man renting his old room, but his 'faithful' droogs have become the hand of the law, and they beat him brutally. After being taken in by one of the men he beat violently, he recovers from his beating only to be tortured by his new keeper. After a failed attempt at suicide he spends his time recovering from the treatment as well as his physical injuries.

Review: Overall, this is certainly one of the more unique movies I have ever seen. Malcolm McDowell is absolutely fantastic as Alex, who despite a very dark side, has a smile and innocent boy-like image that makes you pity and hate him all at once. There is quite a bit of graphic sexual scenes as well as brutal beatings, but aside from that the movie has very good dialogue. I was particularly confused by the lexicon of the droogs and Alex, but once I turned on the captioning and read what they were saying, I could piece together what they were saying. This movie is quite the mind fuck, but if you enjoy that kind of movie, you will most certainly need to pick this up. It is chock full of irony and messages, most of which I am sure I didnt even pick up. A second or third, or even a fourth will be enough to understand everything Kubrick was trying to say. If you have no need for silly, sped up sex scenes, and large ceramic penises used as murder weapons, well, I would recommend not viewing this picture.

Score: :D :D :D and a half smilies. It has it's moments where I felt like turning away, all of them being the beatings and rapings, but McDowell alone as Alex is enough for me to RECOMMEND watching this movie at least once.

voltanapricot
08-14-2005, 12:18 PM
You should read the book. (lb)

TAL
08-14-2005, 12:21 PM
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Score: :D :D :D and a half smilies.
I don't think it's meant to make you smile. Weirdo.

ToucanSpam
08-14-2005, 12:22 PM
I don't think it's meant to make you smile. Weirdo.
The smiles are part of the scoring system. You could thinkof it as 3.5/5 if you are that seriously disturbed by smilies.

voltanapricot
08-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Okay, TAL's comment really made me laugh.

TAL
08-14-2005, 12:28 PM
That was the point. All for you, lady.

Mr_Complex
08-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Well worth the wait!

:D :D :D :D

Loppfessor
08-14-2005, 08:25 PM
So basically you're taking movies that are already considered classics and have probably been viewed by almost everyone on here and giving them good reviews???....Way to go out on that limb there buddy

wavin_goodbye
08-14-2005, 10:03 PM

book is fantastic

steve-onpoint
10-02-2005, 03:01 AM
just saw 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time the other day. woah was Kubrick on some shit. i love it. timeless... literally. that ending was some off the wall stuff. so peaceful and eery.

cj hood
10-02-2005, 02:48 PM
So basically you're taking movies that are already considered classics and have probably been viewed by almost everyone on here and giving them good reviews???....Way to go out on that limb there buddy

he's reviewing the original Star Wars next week.......i heard it was good, but i'll wait for the review...

Lex Diamonds
10-02-2005, 03:10 PM
My favourite book. (y)

ToucanSpam
10-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Oh goodness, I half forgot about this thread....I'll start it up soon with a review on The Maltese Falcon. I planned on renting that in a couple days, I have to do a paper on it anyways. Lately in my Cinema class we have been viewing some really old films.

Ones I have watched so far:

Nosferatu (1922)
Dracula (1931)
Bride of Frankenstein (1934)

This week is Citizen Kane, and next week is Casablanca so I'm pretty excited. I will be watching more movies though soon enough!

ToucanSpam
10-03-2005, 09:13 AM
I just finished gettimg home from watching Citizen Kane (1941)

*spits on Star Wars*