PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of the nerds being the "cool" thing today?

DroppinScience
08-17-2005, 05:04 PM
It seems with the likes of Seth Cohen and everything else, it's now "cool" to be a nerd.

To me, I think it's more "nerd chic" is cool, but if you are an all-out nerd (i.e. if you were to walk into the Computer Science wing of a University), that still ain't cool.

What seems to be liked is mostly conventionally handsome people with just a few quirks of geek-isms.

If you're still of the pocket-protector/Star Trek/physics-loving sort, you'll still get beaten up for lunch money by the bullies in junior high. Doesn't matter what the media says. ;)

Anyways, here's an article highlighting this trend...

http://cbs2chicago.com/watercooler/watercooler_story_199142045.html

Discuss away.

kll
08-17-2005, 05:08 PM
I always considered the "nerds" to be the socially inept rejects who are too intelligent to function properly around others...

CrankItUp!
08-17-2005, 05:08 PM
DJ Qualls ( movie - The New Guy ) is my favorite nerd - word. :cool:

DroppinScience
08-17-2005, 05:11 PM
I always considered the "nerds" to be the socially inept rejects who are too intelligent to function properly around others...

There's also a bit of a heirarchy when it comes to these terms.

"Nerds" are the social rejects who do math equations and science experiments.

"Geeks" have a bit more social skills.

"Dorks" just enjoy playing Pac-Man and watch Battlestar Galactica every now and then but are generally seen as having social skills and are able to make friends with relative ease.

At least that's how its seen 'round these parts.

CrankItUp!
08-17-2005, 05:18 PM
And just what category of superiority do you fit in ? :cool:

DroppinScience
08-17-2005, 05:26 PM
And just what category of superiority do you fit in ? :cool:

Who says I have to fit in to any of the labels? :cool:

I'd say "dork" fits me best, though. Though I don't play Pac-Man or watch Battlestar Galactica.

beastieangel01
08-17-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm a whale penis :(

TurdBerglar
08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
everyone who doesn't really know me seems to think i a wild, woman chaseing, party animal bad boy. im quite the opposite. im not really drunk people. im just really goofy. people think im high all the time too.

zorra_chiflada
08-17-2005, 05:36 PM
nerds own us.

enree erzweglle
08-17-2005, 05:38 PM
I've got serious nerd friends who have PhDs in CS from the
top-ranked CS [grad] schools in the country (e.g., MIT, Stanford,
CMU). They're big-time intimidating from an academic
perspective--Rhodes scholars--but none of them fit the nerd
stereotype at all.

They converse and function just fine in a crowd or one-on-one.
They're diverse. The ones that I know rock- and mountain-climb;
are in bands; write, compose, and perform classical music; are
competitive cyclists; are kayakers; and play in softball and baseball
leagues.

They're gorgeous by anyone's standards and they shower regularly.
There's not a pocket protector to be found among them. :)

Not your stereotypical nerds by any stretch of the imagination.

CrankItUp!
08-17-2005, 05:43 PM
everyone who doesn't really know me seems to think i a wild, woman chaseing, party animal bad boy. im quite the opposite. im not really drunk people. im just really goofy. people think im high all the time too.
I think only you think that.

kll
08-17-2005, 05:45 PM
I like the fact that "nerd chic" is in because the pressure of having to be dressed perfectly is no longer required...

cubsfirstplace
08-17-2005, 05:46 PM
DJ Qualls ( movie - The New Guy ) is my favorite nerd - word. :cool:

that guy is obviously anorexic/bulimic

CrankItUp!
08-17-2005, 05:54 PM
I think he's just really skinny. He did suffer from Hodgkins disease as a teenager though.

tdot04
08-17-2005, 11:17 PM
people think im high all the time too.

I get that a lot.

I've encountered "dorks" (according to the Poindexter Hiearchy) with plenty of social skills, but obviously all their socializing happens to be done with other dorks/geeks. "Nerds" seem to be the only ones who can't make any friends, since other Nerds are their science fair rivals.

Man, I'd hate being called "Melvin," "Eugene," or some other stereotypically nerdy first name (no offense to any present Melvins or Eugenes.)

Sandinista!
08-18-2005, 01:08 AM
What seems to be liked is mostly conventionally handsome people with just a few quirks of geek-isms.

Ahem...

Moi's quirk happens to be a complete disdain for all new music.

:cool:

Loppfessor
08-18-2005, 01:19 AM
Clark Kent is my favorite nerd....

Nuzzolese
08-18-2005, 08:45 AM
This geek hierarchy (http://www.brunching.com/geekhierarchy.html) lays it out.

This was all explained in the prophetic films Revenge of the Nerds. It should come as no surprise. But really I think it's a man's trend. It's still supposed to be better to be a hot girl than a nerdy girl, and if you can be both then you're on the top of your game but if one has to give, seems like it is supposed to be the nerdiness. Then you can be hot and just insist publicly that you are actually a big nerd; just as women like Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Kirsten Dunst and Sara Michele Gellar have been known to do.

paul jones
08-18-2005, 08:56 AM
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr Deaf
08-18-2005, 09:02 AM

paul jones
08-18-2005, 09:03 AM
oingo boingo

Qdrop
08-18-2005, 10:14 AM
any coincidence that DROPPINSCIENCE started this thread?

sorry, somebody had to mention it.

you tell us, droppin...are you more popular? are you happy about that?...

Nuzzolese
08-18-2005, 10:24 AM
From the article

Michael Lee, a self-proclaimed nerd, is happy it’s happening. “It’s society validating who I am,” says the 28-year-old marketing manager from in Perris, Calif.

But he also worries that the popularity will be short-lived, returning he and fellow nerds to a life of ridicule. “Because it is a trend,” he says, “it’ll become extremely untrendy.”

For now, though, he’s going with it and has put a bumper sticker on his motorcycle that says “Talk Nerdy To Me” so he attracts the kind of women he’s looking for—“a librarian type girl,” who likes to go to bookstores and art galleries and whose eyes don’t glaze over when he starts talking about the finer points of “Babylon 5” or “Battlestar Galactica.”

I'd describe myself as a librarian type girl who likes to go to bookstores and art galleries and this guy sounds like a tool if you ask me.

instigator7022
08-18-2005, 10:31 AM
2 years ago i made a shirt that said talk nerdy to me.

and in these times doesnt the glamourized nerd mean extrememly smart and goodlooking? if so bring on the nerds.

adam_f
08-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Revenge of the Nerds used to scare the bejeebers out of me. Really.

monkey
08-18-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm a whale penis :(

oh im a whale vag. let's have whale sex. :cool:

avignon
08-18-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't know anyone person who fits under one label all the time.

And by the way, starting out as a nerd doesn't put you on the guarenteed path to wealth and power and stability. For one thing, all of that is relative.

CiaoBellaXO
08-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm a major dork with a little splash of nerd.

But NO geek.

Elusive
08-18-2005, 01:16 PM
this sort of cancelles itself out.
if you are anerd, how can you be quotationmarks cool
also, i've always been a nerd,
and a wierd nerd at that.
I don't think I'm any more in demand than usual.

avignon
08-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Your value never depreciates. With or without the quotation marks.

Gareth
08-18-2005, 02:37 PM
my former english tutor, who is transexual, writes harry potter slash fiction.

DroppinScience
08-18-2005, 02:45 PM
any coincidence that DROPPINSCIENCE started this thread?

sorry, somebody had to mention it.

you tell us, droppin...are you more popular? are you happy about that?...

Oh, you've outed me now, Sen. McCarthy! :eek:

As for popularity... I did have a fairly tough time in high school (junior high, oddly enough, was okay). My high school was very jock for sure. Since I wasn't the best at sports, it's no surprise that this would be the case.

Once I got out of high school, things got much better (to be fair, the very tail end of high school was getting much better as well) and it struck me that I could generally be myself and I'd be accepted for who I was. I think there was a lot of superficiality going down in my high school.

College/university seems to be a godsend. Sure, social and communication skills have dramatically developed for the better (which is to be expected), but people don't seem to be as hung up on whether someone is "nerdy" or not. I'd say I'm more popular and I'm down with that, obviously.

Plus, I seem to notice that throughout university there's a lot of people who may have been the socially awkward geeks during primary school but they've now found their niche and have morphed into charismatic geeks.

As for the types who picked on me during high school... if I've made amends with them in the post-high school world, it's because they've grown up. The enemies who STILL have the high school mentality have now become the losers and really don't have much of a future.

So I guess everything solves itself. ;)

ToucanSpam
08-18-2005, 02:52 PM
I was an uncool nerd before it was cool to be uncool. Therefore I must be cooler somehow. :rolleyes:

Nuzzolese
08-18-2005, 02:53 PM
no, you still lose

g-mile7
08-18-2005, 03:00 PM
nerds will never be cool, they wouldnt be nerds if they were, thats a contridiction right there

Nuzzolese
08-18-2005, 03:15 PM
This place is a good cross section of the socially fucked. Emos. Goths. Nerds. RPG freaks. White hip hop fans. Retarded middle american born again christians. Anal Librarians. Loser dopeheads. Celebrity fanboy-girls. Men pretending to be women hence all the women. Self-promoting self-published mini corporations. Corporate sellouts. People that work for lawyers and megachain video stores and public schools. People who never graduated high school. People who never graduated junior high. Ex-boyscouts. Gay boyscout leaders. Animal activist, rain-forest tree humpers, vegetarian redheaded stepchildren. People from countries famous for their anal sex and ruins and anal sex ruins. on and on and on... oh yeah, and me...

But you know what? A lot of people would assume none of us are cool because would you expect cool people to hang out in front of a computer all day? Or even part of the day? Cool people are movers and shakers, they are out getting laid and making money and being cool. They're not gonna waste their time here, not even while their at work. Because they even have cool jobs where they are too busy doing cool things to be checking in to see who's said what. Face it my man, we're here because we suck. Because we honestly don't have anything better to do. And we like it that way.

But that's not totally true. I ain't my job and neither are any of us. And really, why would someone who works on their computer be any cooler than someone who uses the computer at work where they get paid, to post on a board? Seriously. This tech named Troy works for the department for the university. He always says there's no way could he sit in front of a computer for more than 5 minutes. Does that make me less cool than him because he is dyslexic and never finished high school and can't read or hunt-and-peck type fast or have any common sense when it comes tousing anything electronic except a tv remote? Instead, he climbs on peoples roofs and screws wires I mean, to me, I'd much rather be here than sweating my ass off on some roof because I never learned to read and spend every night drinking myself into a coma...

Lindsey_1535
08-18-2005, 03:17 PM
where am I then?
The boyscout leader?

DroppinScience
08-18-2005, 03:21 PM
This place is a good cross section of the socially fucked. Emos. Goths. Nerds. RPG freaks. White hip hop fans. Retarded middle american born again christians. Anal Librarians. Loser dopeheads. Celebrity fanboy-girls. Men pretending to be women hence all the women. Self-promoting self-published mini corporations. Corporate sellouts. People that work for lawyers and megachain video stores and public schools. People who never graduated high school. People who never graduated junior high. Ex-boyscouts. Gay boyscout leaders. Animal activist, rain-forest tree humpers, vegetarian redheaded stepchildren. People from countries famous for their anal sex and ruins and anal sex ruins. on and on and on... oh yeah, and me...

They all think Ferris Bueller is a righteous dude! :D

Nuzzolese
08-18-2005, 03:22 PM
They all think Ferris Bueller is a righteous dude! :D

movie quotes make me all squishy near my baby makers

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 07:29 PM
There's also a bit of a heirarchy when it comes to these terms.

"Nerds" are the social rejects who do math equations and science experiments.

"Geeks" have a bit more social skills.

"Dorks" just enjoy playing Pac-Man and watch Battlestar Galactica every now and then but are generally seen as having social skills and are able to make friends with relative ease.

At least that's how its seen 'round these parts.
I woulda said that dorks are just unintelligent geeks.

Lindsey_1535
08-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Yea ima dork then

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Yea ima dork then
:( I didnt mean it like that. I'm sure you're a geek... If you want to be. Not that I'm calling you a geek or anything... Arghhh :(

I'll just shuttup now

ToucanSpam
08-18-2005, 07:59 PM
:( I didnt mean it like that. I'm sure you're a geek... If you want to be. Not that I'm calling you a geek or anything... Arghhh :(

I'll just shuttup now
*slap*

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 08:01 PM
*slap*
Thanks man...sorry about that, I lapsed into geekyness...you know speaking to girls when you're as awkward as me is just so hard...even on the net :(

;)

Lindsey_1535
08-18-2005, 08:03 PM
No ima dork, I just have to live with that.

ToucanSpam
08-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks man...sorry about that, I lapsed into geekyness...you know speaking to girls when you're as awkward as me is just so hard...even on the net :(

;)
wikkid (y)

welcome to dorkdom. It's fun.

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 08:06 PM
No ima dork, I just have to live with that.
Dork has really negative connotations, at least in Australia. Like its basically being seriously badly dressed, no social skills, basically a nerd without intelligence actually...I'd much rather be a geek. But I'm a rockstar :cool:

Lindsey_1535
08-18-2005, 08:08 PM
a dork is a whale penis. so I got that goin to me. :eek:

ToucanSpam
08-18-2005, 08:10 PM
worble

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 08:11 PM
a dork is a whale penis. so I got that goin to me. :eek:
Yeah I think of the whole whale penis thing everytime i hear that word now. Bloody documentaries, ruin all the best words :(

Wait, you just said you were a whales penis :eek:

Lindsey_1535
08-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Wait, you just said you were a whales penis :eek:
Jealous much?

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Jealous much?
If you said "I have a whale sized penis", I would be :(

ToucanSpam
08-18-2005, 08:19 PM
If you said "I have a whale sized penis", I would be :(
*slap*

Kid Presentable
08-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Cause Back in school we are the leaders, of it all.

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 08:21 PM
*slap*
Okay the first time I just thought it was a sporting sorta thing, but the second time you slapped my ass, and then when you winked at me...you just pushed it too far...no means no :mad:

Anyway lindsey has a whale sized penis (y)

ToucanSpam
08-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Okay the first time I just thought it was a sporting sorta thing, but the second time you slapped my ass, and then when you winked at me...you just pushed it too far...no means no :mad:

Anyway lindsey has a whale sized penis (y)
You sir, are a huge lesbian manatee.

Lindsey_1535
08-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Yes my penis is something to gander at.

ToucanSpam
08-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Yes my penis is something to gander at.
It is quite hefty.

Tzar
08-18-2005, 08:28 PM
toucan, rancid and lindsey need to have a threesome.

ToucanSpam
08-18-2005, 08:28 PM
toucan, rancid and lindsey need to have a threesome.
um, no.

Lindsey_1535
08-18-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm in.

Kid Presentable
08-18-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm in.

I didn't hear anybody ask 'Is it in?'.

Tzar
08-18-2005, 08:30 PM
um, no.
um fuck you. yes you will.
and then i'll kill you afterwards.

it'll be grand.

ToucanSpam
08-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Can I at least shave down all my pubes first? Both of them?

Kid Presentable
08-18-2005, 08:32 PM

Use them as side burns.

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 08:32 PM
You sir, are a huge lesbian manatee.
Fuck yeah (y)

A threesome with a whale's penis? Thats a story to tell your grandchildren :eek:

Kid Presentable
08-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Fuck yeah (y)

A threesome with a whale's penis? Thats a story to tell your grandchildren :eek:

It'll be like summertime at the pools, with that big rubber log all the kiddies climb on and fall off.

Tzar

shut the fuck up!
why are you hesitant in wanting to screw lindsey?! you know you want your dick in her cunt.

AHAHAH!! oh mang...

ToucanSpam
Fuck yeah (y)

Not only the largest penis in the mammalian kingdom, but the smallest penis.

Yours. That''s right. I went there.

Kid Presentable
08-18-2005, 08:34 PM
I told you mang, don fuck wit me!

Lindsey_1535
08-18-2005, 08:35 PM
SOooo this thread took a nasty turn eh?

ToucanSpam
08-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Penises are like grenades. Too many of them in one spot, and you got quite the huge mess.

Kid Presentable
08-18-2005, 08:37 PM
Tzar owns us all, me included.

Lindsey_1535
I blame Wal-Mart.
Yea Walmarts to blame! :mad:

Tzar
SOooo this thread took a nasty turn eh?

do you like it that way? ;)

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 08:39 PM
It'll be like summertime at the pools, with that big rubber log all the kiddies climb on and fall off.
Hahahaha :D

Tzar
08-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Penises are like grenades. Too many of them in one spot, and you got quite the huge mess.

i wanna sticky-tape 4 grenades to each of your ankles. and laugh when you have no legs. you doomed feck.

Lindsey_1535
08-18-2005, 08:40 PM
do you like it that way? ;)
I might...WHO WANTS TO KNOW!!

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 08:44 PM
I might...WHO WANTS TO KNOW!!
I'm pretty sure Tzar does considering he asked you.

With a question mark.

Lindsey_1535
08-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Oh..yea....that makes sense....umm yeaaa.
JACK ASS!

*runs away*

;)

Tzar
08-18-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Tzar does considering he asked you.

With a question mark.

i'd hit it. lindsey looks like my ex; i'd hit both of them at the same time. (y)

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Oh..yea....that makes sense....umm yeaaa.
JACK ASS!

*runs away*

;)

:(

Tzar
08-18-2005, 08:55 PM
ahahaha toucan ran away. cause the love of his life (lindsey) wants my dick. oooooh yeah. (y)

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm still here though...am I no competition to you or something :mad:

Lindsey_1535
08-18-2005, 08:57 PM
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!

Tzar
08-18-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm still here though...am I no competition to you or something :mad:
mang, there is no such thing as competition in my life.
shit, even Kid P said it too.. i own you all, you un-merciful cunts.

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 09:01 PM
You do know that un-merciful means that we show no mercy to you.

As in I show no mercy to you :mad:

Kid Presentable
08-18-2005, 09:02 PM

Is it okay for me to quote you here, boss?

Mcmac
08-18-2005, 09:02 PM
rancid u fucking dork eat a cock and die (n)

ps: haha tzar :D

Tzar
08-18-2005, 09:05 PM
You do know that un-merciful means that we show no mercy to you.

As in I show no mercy to you :mad:

SHUT UP! you pitiful shite.

i use whatever words i want, bitch.

you know why?!

cause i'm rick james....... BITCH!!

Rancid_Beasties
08-18-2005, 09:05 PM
rancid u fucking dork eat a cock and die (n)

ps: haha tzar :D
Did you find out of MMM or Slick Rick were underage shows?

This should be a PM probably

Tzar
08-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Is it okay for me to quote you here, boss?

no problem playah
*raises westside hand logo*

Mcmac
08-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Did you find out of MMM or Slick Rick were underage shows?

This should be a PM probably

yeah there over 18's...but thats ok coz i am 25

ps:dork

Mcmac
08-18-2005, 09:11 PM
no problem playah
*raises westside hand logo*

*crunches tzars hand and raises gun to throat of tzar and says "you is east side bitch"*

Tzar
08-18-2005, 09:16 PM
*crunches tzars hand and raises gun to throat of tzar and says "you is east side bitch"*

nah seriously, ly down on the ground face first, roll over, face the sky for 2 seconds, stand up and eat some shit. you arsehole eating fuck.

Mcmac
08-18-2005, 09:35 PM
u can take a dump in 2 seconds