PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina

beastie fresh
08-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Anyone getting hit by it? It just missed hitting me by a little bit

Brass_Munkey
08-28-2005, 03:22 PM
No replies because everyone who is getting hit by it has evacuated their homes at this point.

This is going to be a serious hurricane. Only 3 category 5 hurricanes have ever hit the United States before.

ToucanSpam
08-28-2005, 03:23 PM
New Orleans likely won't exist in a couple days.

Knuckles
08-28-2005, 03:24 PM
New Orleans likely won't exist in a couple days.
What are the Girls Gone Wild guys gonna do?

drizl
08-28-2005, 03:25 PM
katrina is a mean bitch. look out nawlans. below sea level!!!

GetYourWarOn
08-28-2005, 03:25 PM
lets try to find some areas that are above sea level next time we build a city.

ToucanSpam
08-28-2005, 03:26 PM
What are the Girls Gone Wild guys gonna do?
Come to Canada I guess. :D

Knuckles
08-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Come to Canada I guess. :D
Lindsey is aaaaaalways drunk (y)

ToucanSpam
08-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Lindsey is aaaaaalways drunk (y)
:mad:

Knuckles
08-28-2005, 03:30 PM
:mad:
Oh stop, you know it was funny.

ToucanSpam
08-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Oh stop, you know it was funny.
I giggled....

yeahwho
08-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Walking on Sunshine, remember Katrina, she named her band the Waves. She is spooky.

ToucanSpam
08-28-2005, 04:53 PM
already a thread my friend :D

tpk
08-28-2005, 04:57 PM
just merged them. (y)

ToucanSpam
08-28-2005, 04:58 PM
just merged them. (y)
You can do that?

My god that is sexy.

b-grrrlie
08-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Walking on Sunshine, remember Katrina, she named her band the Waves. She is spooky.
Now that is spooky....

ToucanSpam
08-28-2005, 05:22 PM
I love the word rampage.

ToucanSpam
08-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Not just that, but uhhhhhh........

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/Pat_Walsh/Beastwarsrampagerobotmode.jpg

zorra_chiflada
08-28-2005, 09:15 PM
norcen and toucanspam - your avatars are too similar

Tzar
08-28-2005, 09:17 PM
norcen and toucanspam - your avatars are too similar
werd. i wanted to say something subtle so that toucan doesn't cry aboot it. but you can say it for me, suse

ToucanSpam
08-28-2005, 09:49 PM
werd. i wanted to say something subtle so that toucan doesn't cry aboot it. but you can say it for me, suse
three buckets of tears later, Im ok about it.

Medellia
08-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Click on the phrase map of Louisiana and you will se where I'm from! (http://www.roadtripusa.com/us_80/louisiana.html) Gibsland, not terribly far from Shreveport, where many people are evacuating to. There's going to be a show about the annual Bonnie and Clyde festival they have every year on the history channel tomorrow. I can't wait to see it. All the shops I saw every day growing up. *sigh*

I just realised this post sounds far too happy for a thread about a hurricane that could destroy N'awlins. :(

ToucanSpam
08-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Click on the phrase map of Louisiana and you will se where I'm from! (http://www.roadtripusa.com/us_80/louisiana.html) Gibsland, not terribly far from Shreveport, where many people are evacuating to. There's going to be a show about the annual Bonnie and Clyde festival they have every year on the history channel tomorrow. I can't wait to see it. All the shops I saw every day growing up. *sigh*

I just realised this post sounds far too happy for a thread about a hurricane that could destroy N'awlins. :(
do you have an accent?

Medellia
08-28-2005, 11:42 PM
do you have an accent?
I'm not sure. :o

I went to a private school, which means I was exposed to a bit of culture which means I'm NOT a redneck. But I have been told that I do have a slight southern accent that's more of a charming twinge than a full blown drawl.

buddylee
08-28-2005, 11:50 PM
do you know where Hammond is ?? I have distant family that lives thier. any ya they are red necks

Medellia
08-28-2005, 11:55 PM
No, the name is vaguely familiar, but I don't know where it is. Which means it's most likely full of rednecks. Hate to admit it, but it's true. Rednecks and a couple of rich families that want lots of land so they live in redneck-ville. :o

beastieangel01
08-29-2005, 09:52 AM
this is nuts:

"So, imagine you're the poor person who decides not to evacuate: Your house will disintegrate around you. The best you'll be able to do is hang on to a light pole, and while you're hanging on, the fire ants from all the mounds -- of which there is two per yard on average -- will clamber up that same pole. And, eventually, the fire ants will win."

"These chemical plants [could] start flying apart, just as the other buildings do," said van Heerden said. "So, we have the potential for release of benzene, hydrochloric acid, chlorine and so on."

Because gasoline floats on water, "we could end up with some pretty severe and large -- area-wise -- fires."

it's speculation and all, but from the looks of it, it seems to be not out of the realm of possibility.

:(

ToucanSpam
08-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Mark my words, this is the end of New Orleans. :(

cookiepuss
08-29-2005, 12:32 PM
New Orelans is sinking man, and I don't wanna swim...

^the immortal words of the Tragically Hip

Medellia
08-29-2005, 06:06 PM
"So, imagine you're the poor person who decides not to evacuate: Your house will disintegrate around you. The best you'll be able to do is hang on to a light pole, and while you're hanging on, the fire ants from all the mounds -- of which there is two per yard on average -- will clamber up that same pole. And, eventually, the fire ants will win."
Yeah there are a lot of fire ants. That's the only thing I prefer about Oklahoma: teh bugs here are slightly less atrocious.

Laver1969
08-29-2005, 07:14 PM
I was born and raised in New Orleans. Everyone I know has evacuated but I haven't talked to many folks since early this morning. It is very difficult getting through on land lines and cell phones.

I'm sure a lot of my family's houses are damaged...I'm heading down this Friday to assist with the clean-up/salvage process.

Documad
08-29-2005, 07:34 PM
I was born and raised in New Orleans. Everyone I know has evacuated but I haven't talked to many folks since early this morning. It is very difficult getting through on land lines and cell phones.

I'm sure a lot of my family's houses are damaged...I'm heading down this Friday to assist with the clean-up/salvage process.
Oh man, I was looking at the photos on the web at lunch today and I wondered about your family. They say on the news that it hasn't been as bad as they feared (for New Orleans), but it looked just awful to me. It was difficult to assess which parts of the city were hit worse. nola.com is supposed to post an update tonight I think.

It is such a beautiful city and the people are so warm, I'm sure they'll pull it together as best as anyone could.

Laver1969
08-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Oh man, I was looking at the photos on the web at lunch today and I wondered about your family. They say on the news that it hasn't been as bad as they feared (for New Orleans), but it looked just awful to me. It was difficult to assess which parts of the city were hit worse. nola.com is supposed to post an update tonight I think.

It is such a beautiful city and the people are so warm, I'm sure they'll pull it together as best as anyone could.

They are worried about the looters. This is probably going to bring out the ugly side of some. :(

ET
08-30-2005, 08:46 AM
The N.O. got hit pretty hard. Anyone who evacuated is expected to be kept out of the city for, what I would speculate is, at least a couple of weeks. I heard that one of the major bridges going into the city has been demolished due to the high winds. I'm positive you've all heard about the Superdome's roof being slightly damaged, so just imagine what's happened to the other structures in the area. Also, there are multiple leaks in the leevees that are supposed to keep the area dry. At one of the military bases the flood went up to about 12 feet and got into the building. Soldiers had to go up to the third floor to avoid it.

On the upside I think alcohol sales in Louisiana went up a good 300%. Everyone in line was buying at least a little beer. I ran into a lot of N'Orleans people trying to drown their sorrows, poor guys. You know you got it bad when you pop open a Coors Light in the middle of the grocery store.

Mississippi and Alabama peeps got hit pretty hard too. Sucks.

YoungRemy
08-30-2005, 09:25 AM

hey Laver, I came to this thread to ask about your family, and Pootytang as well.

my family is from N.O. as well( i was born in shreveport) they all evacuated and went West to Houston with my mom and dad...probably 15 to 20 of my family members are affected- aunts uncles cousins and grandparents...

they are all stuck in Texas with no answers regarding when they can return... they dont know if there homes are still there or not.

i know my uncle has a boat at a Yacht Club- there is a report that a Yacht Club is burning to the ground in N.O. and that 80% of the city is under water...

now all they can do is wait, phone lines are down and no one is allowed back into the city for weeks maybe :(

Pootytang, Laver, anyone affected in the Gulf Coast region, stay safe, we are thinking about you...

If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break,
If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break,
When The Levee Breaks I'll have no place to stay.....

beastieangel01
08-30-2005, 09:59 AM
I watched the news this morning. The reporter grabbed one guy and it started out with him talking about how he had to run up to the roof, then talking about how it ripped his house in half, then almost as an afterthought he mentioned that his wife was swept away and that he tried to hold onto her but he couldn't. She said "take care of the kids" and let go. He was so distraught and looked like he was going to have a complete breakdown.

:( awful stuff.

TurdBerglar
08-30-2005, 12:36 PM
new orleans (http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050830/050830_katrina_hlrg.standard.jpg)

Laver1969
08-30-2005, 02:01 PM
hey Laver, I came to this thread to ask about your family, and Pootytang as well.

I may not be heading down this Friday since they aren't allowing folks to return to their homes.

No one knows how their homes made out. I think it's going to be ugly.

cookiepuss
08-30-2005, 02:11 PM
I may not be heading down this Friday since they aren't allowing folks to return to their homes.

No one knows how their homes made out. I think it's going to be ugly.

Do most people down there have hurricane insurance, or is that just something for the wealthy? Even if they do have it I imagine it's still going to suck because it could take months for the insurance companies to send an apraiser and pay out. what are people to do in the mean time? :( sucks.

Laver1969
08-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Do most people down there have hurricane insurance, or is that just something for the wealthy? Even if they do have it I imagine it's still going to suck because it could take months for the insurance companies to send an apraiser and pay out. what are people to do in the mean time? :( sucks.

Most people have flood insurance. FEMA and the Red Cross are there to help. It's just going to take some time to get things back to normal.

There is no electricity, water, sewage and very few passable streets.

cookiepuss
08-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Most people have flood insurance. FEMA and the Red Cross are there to help. It's just going to take some time to get things back to normal.

There is no electricity, water, sewage and very few passable streets.

well listen, if your family wants to cook me up some scrumptious soul food they can come say with me in sunny california while they wait for the flood waters to go down. ;)

Laver1969
08-30-2005, 02:21 PM
well listen, if your family wants to cook me up some scrumptious soul food they can come say with me in sunny california while they wait for the flood waters to go down. ;)

They might actually drive on up to Chicago and stay with me for a few days.

Soul food? hmmm....do you mean Cajun and Creole? :)

cookiepuss
08-30-2005, 02:24 PM
They might actually drive on up to Chicago and stay with me for a few days.

Soul food? hmmm....do you mean Cajun and Creole? :)

I mean crawfish etufe' (sp?). and maybe some sweet potato pie. and any sota dish with pecans. ummmmum I love me some pecans.

adrockmelanie
08-30-2005, 03:01 PM
we were getting really strong wind from it yesterday.. and i live in arkansas. crazy. i talked to some of my friends in memphis, yesterday, and they said there are places where it's flooding out there from all the rain. i think the only one i was worried about, though, is my friend that lives in lafayette, louisiana. she's alright, but it's close enough to be worried about.

Laver1969
08-31-2005, 06:12 AM
New Orleans airport is closed until at least Monday. They are still trying to repair the levee and water is still coming in.

enree erzweglle
08-31-2005, 06:21 AM
Horrible what's happening along the Gulf Coast, but I cringe at the comparisons to the tsunami from last December. There was advanced notice with Katrina and while the damage looks similar, the death toll is unlikely to exceed 150,000.

b-grrrlie
08-31-2005, 06:30 AM
Here's (http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2005/08/29/national/20050830_STORM_GRAPHIC.html) a graphic over which areas have been most affected in NO.
I've got a net-friend who lives in Metairie...