PDA

View Full Version : a middle finger to the spelling nazi's...

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 08:21 AM
okay, let's have it out....
all you fuckin spelling nazi's who are just OBSESSED with linking quickly typed message board posts with intelligence....
explain that to me....

i mean...you can call us poor spellers "lazy" perhaps...or mock our finger dexterity......or point out our impulsiveness when we post without checking over our text first....
whatever....

but this childish connection of typos-to-intelligence....
where in the fuck do you get this from?

i really see it as an old trusty (and mildly retarded) battle horse.
you always pull that piece of shit out when you have nothing else to attack someone for.....

"ha, you think you're so smart.....but you spelled [...] wrong! that means you're stupid!...it's ironic!...yeah...the irony....
that you think you're smart...but you spelled something wrong.
ha...yeah...got you there.....
ha...everyone's gonna respect me more for pointing this out!...i'll gain admiration....."

please, spelling nazi's....defend yourself....
tell me why typos equate to a lack of intelligence....

jabumbo
08-29-2005, 08:24 AM
i cant spell, type, or use the correct grammar half the time

so fuck off!

(yeah, i'm just too lazy to follow up your post with a good booster)

Tone Capone
08-29-2005, 08:24 AM
Sounds like someone's having a case of the Mondays... :eek:

roosta
08-29-2005, 08:29 AM
nah, he's right, i hate those fuckers.

haha, remember a couple of times rob would quote someones mistake and in his admonishing of them make a mistake himself. hahaha.

i rule

Tone Capone
08-29-2005, 08:30 AM
haha, remember a couple of times rob would quote someones mistake and in his admonishing of them make a mistake himself. hahaha.

LOL!!!

Ah the good times. (y) :D

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 08:40 AM
all you fuckin spelling nazi's who are just OBSESSED with linking quickly typed message board posts with intelligence....
explain that to me....

i mean...you can call us poor spellers "lazy" perhaps...or mock our finger dexterity......or point out our impulsiveness when we post without checking over our text first....
whatever....

you always pull that piece of shit out when you have nothing else to attack someone for.....

"ha, you think you're so smart.....but you spelled [...] wrong! that means you're stupid!...it's ironic!...yeah...the irony....
ha...everyone's gonna respect me more for pointing this out!...i'll gain admiration....."

I think you mean "Nazis."

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 08:46 AM
^you're killing me...

that's kinda the answer i expect...

the nazis will comb my posts, find something spelled wrong...and think they are infinitely clever to point out a spelling error in a thread about spelling errors....

oh, bravo...

then the next step will be the other spelling nazis jumping on and doing the same thing.."cause it bugs him"....

mp-seventythree
08-29-2005, 08:46 AM

:D

synch
08-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Mistakes aren't a big deal, not putting any effort into typing whatsoever can get kind of annoying though. I mod a site with many many british teenagers that type in text speak. It's just plain rude to make me decipher your post because you use iz, h8, neway, innit?

Having said that posting without caps, interpunction and with spelling errors makes it easier for a person that doesn't agree with you to dismiss any point you make and point out poor spelling.

It's like that with everything, if someone that annoys you does something it's the stupidest thing ever, if a person you like does the same it's no big deal.

Hmmm, I reckon your thread should be about why people dislike you ;)

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Having said that posting without caps, interpunction and with spelling errors makes it easier for a person that doesn't agree with you to dismiss any point you make and point out poor spelling.

It's like that with everything, if someone that annoys you does something it's the stupidest thing ever, if a person you like does the same it's no big deal.

you are a wise man, synch.

synch
08-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Until last saturday I could have said "beyond my years..." but I just got a bit older again :(

TAL
08-29-2005, 09:12 AM
You mean like calling someone "potato head"?

ToucanSpam
08-29-2005, 09:13 AM
INTERNET!

miss soul fire
08-29-2005, 09:14 AM
Mistakes aren't a big deal, not putting any effort into typing whatsoever can get kind of annoying though. I mod a site with many many british teenagers that type in text speak. It's just plain rude to make me decipher your post because you use iz, h8, neway, innit?

Yeah. Those people are watching your grammar errors from close and don't doubt that it's gonna be the first thing they will use to attack you back whenever they have something against you.

It's like when you are a kid or a teenager. The first thing they will say immediately turns to the way you look and secondly your intelligence. Like, "I don't agree with you on shoes!" come back: "Well, you're ugly!"

:p

jabumbo
08-29-2005, 09:14 AM
i very rarely use punctuation when typing on the internet

i usually leave out the apostrophe's as well, unless i pluralize a word

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 09:25 AM
You mean like calling someone "potato head"?

exactly!

see, you get it!

(but that's kind of an isolated, one-person vendetta kinda thing i have with freebasser....the spelling nazis do this to everyone constantly.....
you know as well as i, i could go to town on aiden and cut far deeper then he could- to the point he goes crying to mods again- but i CHOOSE to keep it simplified and childish with him...he isn't worth much more effort.)

beastieangel01
08-29-2005, 09:35 AM
I don't really point out mistakes because I OFTEN have mistakes.

But when someone has mistakes, oh, I don't know, at least 3 times within one post they make, I really, REALLY want to fix them. It's an impulse. Especially if they are trying to make a point and calling everyone else dumb.

It baffles me.

I get too lazy to point them out most of the time though.

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 09:37 AM
I get too lazy to point them out most of the time though.

..the same way we sometimes get too lazy to check our spelling before we post.

it's the same thing.

ToucanSpam
08-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Is there even a spell check option? I wouldn't even know, all I do is type then hit submit reply.

Abe Froman
08-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Qdrop, sometimes you are the voice I keep inside. Thank you.

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Is there even a spell check option? I wouldn't even know, all I do is type then hit submit reply.

that would solve alot of this....

it's automated on my email program...just like MS Word.

i mean, i would like my spelling to be corrected before i post it...and i usually give it a once-over....but i really don't care much.

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Qdrop, sometimes you are the voice I keep inside. Thank you.

and sometimes, you are the only alias i like.

other than Jimmy the Scumbag.

ToucanSpam
I don't know if it's obvious or not, but I tend to not think when I post. At all. Stuff just comes out. I don't read it over.

Unless I have one of my bright moments and say something meaningful.....I hope I can have more of them soon...

Abe Froman
Yes, but everyone knows who I am. I'm just too lazy to log out and back.

miss soul fire
08-29-2005, 09:43 AM
It took me ages to know who the hell you were! :D

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 09:43 AM
yeah, but i'm not on myspace...
so i didn't know until someone told me....relatively recently actually.

i'm seeing a trend in laziness on this board.

synch
08-29-2005, 09:45 AM
yeah, but i'm not on myspace...
so i didn't know until someone told me....relatively recently actually.
Same here.

But... seeing as I'm always the last to know things that means that everyone knows now.

beastieangel01
08-29-2005, 09:45 AM
..the same way we sometimes get too lazy to check our spelling before we post.

it's the same thing.

Not denying that.

And I don't mean you when I say this, but it just baffles me when I see an INSANE amount of spelling mistakes.

synch
08-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Not denying that.

And I don't mean you when I say this, but it just baffles me when I see an INSANE amount of spelling mistakes.
Yeah...

I can't believe people write things, read it back and it makes perfect sense to them even if half the words are misspelled.

If I notice that a sentence doesn't "flow" properly or if I forgot a word somewhere I edit it and fix it. Hell I did it twice in this thread.

Not saying that I don't make mistakes... but I make an effort not to make them.

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 09:47 AM

well yeah, i mean....there is a limit.
gmile's posts can get kinda insane sometimes....
as do gmsisko's.......

enree erzweglle
08-29-2005, 09:51 AM
I can't believe people write things, read it back and it makes perfect sense to them even if half the words are misspelled.
I think a lot of people type and don't reread what they've typed (which means that they don't edit it either). It's maybe a bit of a brain dump.

miss soul fire
08-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Depending on the extension of my post I read back real quickly, but I read it so fast the correction doesn't turn out effective and then I keep editting my mistakes over and over again and I try to do that fast so I don't get that comment at the bottom of my post "edited by miss soul fire blah blah blah" Now that's somethig I hate!:mad:And then I get that and since I can do nothing more about it I keep editting it!!

cosmo105
08-29-2005, 10:19 AM
it's just annoying, and some of us have an obsession with proper grammar and spelling. it's hard to ignore it. i know it makes me anal, but it bothers me to no end.

Lindsey_1535
08-29-2005, 10:25 AM
I can't spell. I think most know this shocking news. People have asked if english was my first language. True. I suck.

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 11:44 AM
^you're killing me...

that's kinda the answer i expect...

the nazis will comb my posts, find something spelled wrong...and think they are infinitely clever to point out a spelling error in a thread about spelling errors....

oh, bravo...

then the next step will be the other spelling nazis jumping on and doing the same thing.."cause it bugs him"....

I think you'll find "sense of humor" in aisle five.

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 11:51 AM
I think that proper spelling and proper grammar is kind of like proper attire. Yeah; you might be the best qualified for the job, but if you show up in a wife beater and a last year's gym shorts, it just makes it a little harder for others to recognize it. It gives your thoughts -- rightly or wrongly -- a patina of sheer, backwoods ignorance.

People name-drop Einstein as a poster child for bad spelling. Well, do you wonder why the dude was an overlooked patent clerk for however many years before anyone recognized his genius? Maybe it's because his writing made him look like a total clod. Maybe.

God, I wish I had a nickel for every time someone protested "that's not what I meant!" in response to a response clearly reflecting what they said or wrote. I'd have at least a buck and a half.

adam_f
08-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Not to mention Einstein looked like the drunk uncle you prayed would never show up around the holidays.

enree erzweglle
08-29-2005, 12:02 PM
I don't equate misspellings and lack of grammar with intelligence. I think I more equate that stuff (and AOLspeak) with age, apathy, a bit of toughness/posturing, maybe also some impulsivity--but not intelligence +/-.

Dr Deaf
08-29-2005, 12:24 PM
well yeah, i mean....there is a limit.
gmile's posts can get kinda insane sometimes....
as do gmsisko's.......

you have your personal limits of tolerance and so does the rest of the board. tragic they're not aligned perfectly.

cookiepuss
08-29-2005, 12:24 PM
My excuse is I'm a diagnosed dyslexic who doesn't really type well. I'm not stupid, though some may think so from the mistakes that I make. being dyslexic means that sometimes it is very difficult to recognize your own mistakes. (I once wrote my name in complete reverse image backwards as a child and had NO IDEA I'd done it until the other kids started to tease me about it) In my professional life I read all of my letters many times through and often ask co-workers to proof read to catch any thing I might have missed.

on the internet i could give two flying fucks as to whether my spelling errors offend anyone. Sorry guys I just don't care about you enough. :p

Dr Deaf
08-29-2005, 12:28 PM
My excuse is I'm a diagnosed dyslexic who doesn't really type well. I'm not stupid, though some may think so from the mistakes that I make. being dyslexic means that sometimes it is very difficult to recognize your own mistakes. (I once wrote my name in complete reverse image backwards as a child and had NO IDEA I'd done it until the other kids started to tease me about it) In my professional life I read all of my letters many times through and often ask co-workers to proof read to catch any thing I might have missed.

on the internet i could give two flying fucks as to whether my spelling errors offend anyone. Sorry guys I just don't care about you enough. :p

i've never noticed your posts being particularly messy. kudos to you diagnosed dyslexic for presenting, pleasant easy to comprehend posts.

(y)

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 12:43 PM
I think you'll find "sense of humor" in aisle five.

yeah...
but it wasn't funny.

i think YOU'RE shopping in the wrong isle.

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 12:44 PM
I think that proper spelling and proper grammar is kind of like proper attire. Yeah; you might be the best qualified for the job, but if you show up in a wife beater and a last year's gym shorts, it just makes it a little harder for others to recognize it. It gives your thoughts -- rightly or wrongly -- a patina of sheer, backwoods ignorance. if it was riddled with horrendous mistakes maybe...
but a few words here and there?

dude, get over yourself...

(i don't mean you personally)

People name-drop Einstein as a poster child for bad spelling. Well, do you wonder why the dude was an overlooked patent clerk for however many years before anyone recognized his genius? Maybe it's because his writing made him look like a total clod. Maybe. yeah...umm....
that's quite a stretch....

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 12:49 PM
yeah...
but it wasn't funny.

i think YOU'RE shopping in the wrong isle.

QweenOfBoggle
08-29-2005, 01:00 PM
it's just annoying, and some of us have an obsession with proper grammar and spelling. it's hard to ignore it. i know it makes me anal, but it bothers me to no end.

yes. my main problem is with spelling though. someone logs on here to mock someone else and they don't spell "their" correctly? c'mon! I feel like the entire argument is flawed if you can't type with skills learned in 4th grade. I'm not talking about one mistake, I'm talking about seeing it occur more than one time in a post. It makes me think it's not a simple "typing error" and that it's just really the poster is an idiot.

maybe I'm just biased because I have always been somewhat OCD and that I also have always been good at spelling naturally.

QweenOfBoggle
08-29-2005, 01:05 PM
okay actually, I just think it's hilarious when Qdrop comes in trying to sound like he's the smartest person ever with the ONLY opinion that's right and he spells wrong. I just laugh everytime. (y)

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 01:10 PM

see, i can throw you a bone.

i won't even edit that....
i missed the "a" with my pinky...intellect isn't even involved.

see...get over yourself, man.

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 01:18 PM
yes. my main problem is with spelling though. someone logs on here to mock someone else and they don't spell "their" correctly? c'mon! I feel like the entire argument is flawed if you can't type with skills learned in 4th grade. I'm not talking about one mistake, I'm talking about seeing it occur more than one time in a post. It makes me think it's not a simple "typing error" and that it's just really the poster is an idiot.

maybe I'm just biased because I have always been somewhat OCD and that I also have always been good at spelling naturally.

[...]

okay actually, I just think it's hilarious when Qdrop comes in trying to sound like he's the smartest person ever with the ONLY opinion that's right and he spells wrong. I just laugh everytime.

yeah, here we go...this is what i'm talking about.

you're logic is fuckin retared.

so i, or someone else, repeatedly spell "thier" wrong...and therefore they are idiots and everything they say becomes invalid.

we both know you don't believe that.

it may bother your OCD riddled brain...the way stray, misaligned tassles on a floor rug keep you up at night....but you're confusing your mental backfires and fustration with someone's level of intellect.

that and you're just using a dead horse as a battle horse when, in fact, it is YOU who's intellect falls short in a debate.

"yeah, i may not understand half of what you said....and may not have the mental facilities to reply....but YOU spelled "thier" wrong! HA....gotcha...you're stupid!"

QweenOfBoggle
08-29-2005, 01:21 PM
The fact is that most of what you say is typed/written with the whole "I'm right and you're wrong and that's the only way" argument. That simple-minded logic paired with your inability to spell makes you look stupid. That's it.

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 01:24 PM

TAL
08-29-2005, 01:24 PM
that and you're just using a dead horse as a battle horse when, in fact, it is YOU who's intellect falls short in a debate.
You mean like when someone calls someone else "potato head" over and over again?

I guess that means you're the YOU in that situation. One-person vendetta or not.

QweenOfBoggle
08-29-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm also trying to figure out what an "OCD riddled brain" is? :confused:

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm also trying to figure out what an "OCD riddled brain" is? :confused:

yeah, i bet you're still trying to figure ALOT of things out...

take your time...wipe your chin....you can do it...

QweenOfBoggle
08-29-2005, 01:29 PM
We can agree to disagree. Everyone has their own irks. I know you're not stupid you just come across that way sometimes. I know I'm being probably just being bitchy. The end. :)

Time for some real world interaction kids. byyyye.

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 01:33 PM
You mean like when someone calls someone else "potato head" over and over again?

I guess that means you're the YOU in that situation. One-person vendetta or not.

right...as if i couldn't tear that kid to shreds...

again, you're trying to force a comparison when the subjects and circumstances are not equal.

but i woulnd't expect you to understand that.

i got ammo galore to pelt him with, thanks to his personal PM's he sent to me...

hey, you know what....it's up to Aiden.
we will undoubtedly argue in the future....

we can keep it simple and childish...with potato head jokes, etc.

or i can lay into his personal family life, relationships, and get real brutal.

which do you think he prefers?

and why are you on the internet?
why aren't you out looking for a job?

roosta
08-29-2005, 01:40 PM
we can keep it simple and childish...with potato head jokes, etc.

or i can lay into his personal family life, relationships, and get real brutal.

id like to think you'd never take the internet seriously enough to do that, would you???

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 01:43 PM
id like to think you'd never take the internet seriously enough to do that, would you???

eh...probably not.
but i don't really consider mocking him brutally to be taking things too seriously.

again, i'm never the one that gets heated from this shit.

you would seriously cry if you read some of the PM's this kid has sent me...about his home life and shit.

TAL
08-29-2005, 01:44 PM
againk, you're trying to force a comparison when the subjects and circumstances are not equal.

and why are you on the internet?
why aren't you out looking for a job?
I don't need to force anything. You are using the same "joke" over and over again and the so-called spelling nazis are doing the same by pointing out errors over and over again.

It's almost 11pm here. And you don't need to worry about me.

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 01:49 PM
I don't need to force anything. You are using the same "joke" over and over again and the so-called spelling nazis are doing the same by pointing out errors over and over again. a personal attempt to intentionally keep things light and fluffy is not the same as wit-lacking lemmings pointing out spelling errors when the neurons in their brains stop firing...

It's almost 11pm here. And you don't need to worry about me.
never have never will.

see, now freebasser is gonna read this thread and say "qdrop is starting shit again" (when it was actually TAL)...and then we start flaming again....

sigh...
crazy feedback loop....

CrankItUp!
08-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Sounds like someone's having a case of the Mondays... :eek:
Shit ! I thought it was fucking Friday. :mad:

TAL
08-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Hahaha. Ok, we'll leave it at that.

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm kinda curious:

Some years back, we had a dork for Vide President by name of Daniel Quayle.

He "corrected" a child in a spelling bee, saying that potato was spelled with an "e" at the end.

Folks big and small made fun of him for weeks after that.

A) Do you think you would have; and

B) Is that consistent with this thread?

Sub-question: why do we get to make fun of Bush's malopropisms if stuff like spelling, grammar, and general intellectual cohesion don't signify intelligence?

Discus.

Javelin.

CrankItUp!
08-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Question : Did you vote for him ?

enree erzweglle
08-29-2005, 02:58 PM
That's a good point, a-z, but I think you throw a lot of that away when you take on the life of a prominent public figure. Especially if you're an elected official and your public life is fraught with the sorts of controversies that surround people like Quayle or GW.

(People in this forum aren't here because they were voted into this place and they represent only themselves. They're not making life-death decisions when they're here and what they do here is not what they do for a living. All of that makes a difference to me and how much leeway I can or will give someone who makes mistakes in some public way.)

Qdrop
08-29-2005, 03:00 PM
People in this forum aren't here because they were voted into this place and they represent only themselves. They're not making life-death decisions when they're here and what they do here is not what they do for a living. All of that makes a difference to me and how much leeway I can or will give someone who makes mistakes in some public way.)

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Question : Did you vote for him ?

I don't know if anyone really votes for vice-prez, but no; I didn't vote for that ticket.

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 03:04 PM
That's a good point, a-z, but I think you throw a lot of that away when you take on the life of a prominent public figure. Especially if you're an elected official and your public life is fraught with the sorts of controversies that surround people like Quayle or GW.

(People in this forum aren't here because they were voted into this place and they represent only themselves. They're not making life-death decisions when they're here and what they do here is not what they do for a living. All of that makes a difference to me and how much leeway I can or will give someone who makes mistakes in some public way.)

...it was just a topic-starter; I didn't know that a voice o' reason would pop up so fast and kill it.

Still, I think the point stands on its own legs, however wobbly; if the argument is that spelling and grammar aren't indicative of intelligence, opinion-worthyness, etc., why do some get a pass and not others/ Just because they're elected doesn't make them less human.

enree erzweglle
08-29-2005, 03:06 PM
...it was just a topic-starter; I didn't know that a voice o' reason would pop up so fast and kill it.
I so [sic] sorry.

I am still under this assumption that 99% of the people see my avatar and the length of the post and just move on. :o

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 03:06 PM
No problem; I single-handedly voted in an amendment. (y)

enree erzweglle
08-29-2005, 03:11 PM
No problem; I single-handedly voted in an amendment. (y)
Huh? 'splain? Or is it obvious and I'm just needing to eat something or sleep?

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 03:23 PM
...I amended my post.

I do not withdraw so quickly my forces, Sir!

*slaps enree with a glove, all gentleman-like*

adam_f
08-29-2005, 03:26 PM
The Duke's reaction (http://images.allposters.com/images/130/009_224-005.jpg)

enree erzweglle
08-29-2005, 03:27 PM
...I amended my post.

I do not withdraw so quickly my forces, Sir!

*slaps enree with a glove, all gentleman-like*

edit: I'm not going there.

DroppinScience
08-29-2005, 04:42 PM
explain that to me....

whatever....

yAh, eye n0, dood! i haite it wehn peeple tel mie I haLf 2 spelll wRite! i meen, im entellijent andd stuuf. wOn tipe-o or 2 itt iz onely an acksident! ThEyy r juSt beeing immmateur aNd trieinng 2 deeflict attenshun aWey frum teh facet taHt theey half n0e treu reebutttal! :cool:

P.S. - :p

Elusive
08-29-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm not a strong speller...
but I'm smart enough to know someone or someones would
type a message like

"mee kan-t schpael vur goud.... pleze sent moni fur more kitchens soop"

or

"cank yoo finds a dolphin get two keep it?"

and the ever popular

"phish eit mi brovers' arm"

kll
08-29-2005, 05:09 PM

i don't think that typos equate to a lack of intelligence, but most times you can differentiate between a typo and a misspelled word... example: definitely vs. definately

due to the facelessness of the internet, i definitely judge someone based on how they type... i absolutely have nothing to do with the lol'ers or the what r u doing'ers of the internet...

Elusive
08-29-2005, 05:17 PM
^^
I am no LOLer...
and I do judge...
also, I never use smiley faces.
girls can get away with it, but... girls can get away with anything.

but there are a few good ones... acronyms I mean.

brb

and

stfu
or stfumf

kll
08-29-2005, 05:19 PM
^^
I am no LOLer...
and I do judge...
also, I never use smiley faces.
girls can get away with it, but... girls can get away with anything.

but there are a few good ones... acronyms I mean.

brb

and

stfu
or stfumf
i agree. LOL :eek: :confused: (!)

synch
08-29-2005, 05:24 PM
I use tons of smilies and seeing as I spent a lot of time on irc I also occasionally "lol", but usually just out of habit and with the people that I used to chat with on irc.

What smilies are concerned, I am pretty expressive. I talk with my hands, usually have a sarcastic smirk on my face when I'm joking around and feel that sometimes I need to add a smilie to avoid being misunderstood. It's occasionally more fun to keep people guessing but... dunno... I try to avoid insulting people.

I know I know, I'm working on it...

kll
08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
I use tons of smilies and seeing as I spent a lot of time on irc I also occasionally "lol", but usually just out of habit and with the people that I used to chat with on irc.

What smilies are concerned, I am pretty expressive. I talk with my hands, usually have a sarcastic smirk on my face when I'm joking around and feel that sometimes I need to add a smilie to avoid being misunderstood. It's occasionally more fun to keep people guessing but... dunno... I try to avoid insulting people.

I know I know, I'm working on it...

is there a rule on irc that requires an 'lol' vs. a 'haha'?

Medellia
08-29-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm kinda curious:

Some years back, we had a dork for Vide President by name of Daniel Quayle.

He "corrected" a child in a spelling bee, saying that potato was spelled with an "e" at the end.

Folks big and small made fun of him for weeks after that.

A) Do you think you would have; and

B) Is that consistent with this thread?

Sub-question: why do we get to make fun of Bush's malopropisms if stuff like spelling, grammar, and general intellectual cohesion don't signify intelligence?

Discus.
Like enree said, we aren't in the public eye so it doesn't really matter. Also, as it was stated earlier, one typo here and there can be overlooked and isn't a true indicator of one's intelligence. But consistant stupidity as we have seen from the politicians you mentioned is in a whole other ballpark.

PS-Did you leave the second "s" off of "discuss" on purpose or was that just a one-off typo? :D

synch
08-29-2005, 05:40 PM
is there a rule on irc that requires an 'lol' vs. a 'haha'?
Not really but it was very common. One adapts to a certain type of communication in order to fit in I guess.

I guess I was just young and easily impressionable :(

Elusive
08-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Like enree said, we aren't in the public eye so it doesn't really matter. Also, as it was stated earlier, one typo here and there can be overlooked and isn't a true indicator of one's intelligence. But consistant stupidity as we have seen from the politicians you mentioned is in a whole other ballpark.

PS-Did you leave the second "s" off of "discuss" on purpose or was that just a one-off typo? :D

now I understand the discus/javelin thing.
ha ha

Bitchamachacha
08-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Bad speling on message boards doesn't bother me much anymore.

It DOES bother me on dating sites, where men type out crap in their profiles like eight-year-olds. It makes me wonder if they had originally written the shit out in crayon.

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 07:25 PM
now I understand the discus/javelin thing.
ha ha

*whew* :D

Documad
08-29-2005, 07:28 PM
What really pisses me off is when people compare anything or anyone to Hitler, the Nazis, or the Holocaust.

There is a difference between someone who mistypes "thier" and someone who doesn't know "there" from "their" and "they're." It bugs the shit out of me in thread titles, but I overlook it in text. Most of the time, I overlook it in thread titles too. But my pet peeve is when someone bumps "their all married" or whatever that fucking thread is called because no one ever posts in frequent posts and I have to look at it for days.

BTW, some of my favorite board members can't spell and use poor grammar.

I'm a bad speller. Especially the "ie" and "ei" words. I also can't figure out when to put two t's r's or l's with words that end "ed". I've worked hard on spelling so I don't look like a moron at work, but I still make mistakes.

The only time I say anything here is when someone makes a big deal about being smarter than others, or belittles others. That's when I point out that the bully isn't so good with the English. (Just like in life, I tend to stand up for others when I wouldn't stand up for myself.) So if you're going to go on and on about how you know more than a 15 year old because you're working on a master's degree, I'm going to point out that the 15 year old has a better handle on the English language. And if you're going to belittle someone for having bad "grammer", I might mention that you can't spell. (Unless cosmo gets there first, which is what happened last time. :) )

But the best reason to bring up grammar and spelling is that it's the sure fire way to push the buttons of some of the biggest asses on this board.

QweenOfBoggle
08-29-2005, 09:28 PM
The only time I say anything here is when someone makes a big deal about being smarter than others, or belittles others.

But the best reason to bring up grammar and spelling is that it's the sure fire way to push the buttons of some of the biggest asses on this board.

exactly!

cosmo105
08-29-2005, 10:20 PM
excellent points.

avignon
08-30-2005, 08:32 AM
I'm pretty sensitive about this kind of thing. I don't spell good (<--that was intentional). And it bothers me when my opinions are dismissed because of it. I am not stupid. I do not have a college degree. I work in a blue collar job with a lot of people who are under educated and still very intelligent. People in those sets of circumstances are often snubbed and under estimated by people who have more of an education. That really bugs the hell out of me. It is really no different than the rednecks who make fun of people who are speaking English as a second or third or fourth language.

ms.peachy
08-30-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm pretty sensitive about this kind of thing. I don't spell good (<--that was intentional). And it bothers me when my opinions are dismissed because of it. I am not stupid. I do not have a college degree. I work in a blue collar job with a lot of people who are under educated and still very intelligent. People in those sets of circumstances are often snubbed and under estimated by people who have more of an education. That really bugs the hell out of me. It is really no different than the rednecks who make fun of people who are speaking English as a second or third or fourth language.
I don't presume that people who don't spell well are stupid. But I think what gets up many people's nose about Q or anybody else who presents him or herself as being diligent in their knowledge and research is the ironic incongruity that a poor spelling habit reveals.

If on the one hand a person is saying "I am knowledgeable and well informed on this topic, and am seeking to persuade you of the legitimacy of my point of view by presenting well-constructed statements and treating all counter arguments with scrutiny and examination of fine points" and on the other saying "Oh well these little details like spelling, they don't matter so much," it does make it difficult to then believe that they are in fact all that scrupulous or thorough in their thinking. Like it or not. You're either attentive to detail, or you're not, basically.

ToucanSpam
08-30-2005, 08:46 AM
I don't think it's fair to judge an individual on their spelling errors. Yeah, sometimes it's a pain in the arse, but some of the nicest people here can't spell all to well. :D :) ;)

I think there should be a spell check button....a fair amount of people won't use it, but at least it's there, you know?

enree erzweglle
08-30-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm pretty sensitive about this kind of thing. I don't spell good (<--that was intentional). And it bothers me when my opinions are dismissed because of it. I am not stupid. I do not have a college degree. I work in a blue collar job with a lot of people who are under educated and still very intelligent. People in those sets of circumstances are often snubbed and under estimated by people who have more of an education. That really bugs the hell out of me. Bet those people could not even begin to keep pace with you/your wit in the threads here.

Ironically, people who snub people based on how many initials they don't have after their name--those snubbers have the most learning to do in life.

avignon
08-30-2005, 08:55 AM
So it would take a perfectly polished and highly constructed presentation to get you to at least take someone's views seriously? I think of this place on a pretty casual level, like a social "meeting room" where people who are casually aquainted drop by from time to time to chat together. And if one of those people speaks with less than perfect English (for whatever reason), I will still listen to what they have to say. I grew up around and have spent a large part of my adult life around people who are dirt poor and, in a lot of instances, higher education for them isn't a priority. To me that doesn't mean that they can't have valid points to make in discussions. In a lot of discussions, their views may be more insightful than those of people with degrees. Example-if we were to discuss the future of social security in America or the effectiveness of the welfare system, uneducated people who may not speak proper English would have a viewpoint that I would regard over that of someone who has never been in those situations but who does have a higher education.

edit: regarding ms. peachy's post

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 08:58 AM
avignon is takin them to school....

YOU GO GIRL!

avignon
08-30-2005, 09:00 AM
Bet those people could not even begin to keep pace with you/your wit in the threads here.

Ironically, people who snub people based on how many initials they don't have after their name--those snubbers have the most learning to do in life.

I guess I'm being a cry baby here but I've dealt with those kind of prejudices so many times. It is very tiresome. It's funny how everyone says that you'll regret the opportunities that you pass up when you are eighteen, but they don't tell you that it's the little things that will bother you the most.

Documad
08-30-2005, 09:20 AM
I agree with Avignon whole-heartedly. But then I've never seen her bully people or call them stupid because she read a book that they didn't read.

A good idea is a good idea and no one needs a study to back it up. The most interesting things come from life experience rather than formal education. But if you disagree with me on this, you set yourself up to be criticized when you can't live up to your own high standard.

My problem is with people who flaunt their education to intimidate others when they don't appear to be as educated as they claim to be. Sometimes it's consistent poor grammar, but more often it's a narrow world view or it's that they throw out "facts" that aren't true assuming that no one will notice. It's easy to overstate your background and bully people on a message board. And I can smell that kind of insecurity 10000 miles away.

ms.peachy
08-30-2005, 09:21 AM
So it would take a perfectly polished and highly constructed presentation to get you to at least take someone's views seriously? I think of this place on a pretty casual level, like a social "meeting room" where people who are casually aquainted drop by from time to time to chat together. And if one of those people speaks with less than perfect English (for whatever reason), I will still listen to what they have to say. I grew up around and have spent a large part of my adult life around people who are dirt poor and, in a lot of instances, higher education for them isn't a priority. To me that doesn't mean that they can't have valid points to make in discussions. In a lot of discussions, their views may be more insightful than those of people with degrees. Example-if we were to discuss the future of social security in America or the effectiveness of the welfare system, uneducated people who may not speak proper English would have a viewpoint that I would regard over that of someone who has never been in those situations but who does have a higher education.

edit: regarding ms. peachy's post

No, I think you are misreading what I wrote. What I said was that on a message board - more or less any message board, not just this one - when you have someone who, like Q, has gone to great lengths to establish themself as someone who pays great attentions to the finer points of debate and rhetoric, their credibility is undermined by the sloppy usage of language. I am not talking about someone with a lesser formal education, or English as a second language, or a learning disability who is just trying to contribute to normal discussion; I am referring specifically to personalities who set themselves up as minor 'authorities' and look for ways to bullethole the statements of those they percieve as opponents.

Documad
08-30-2005, 09:26 AM
avignon is takin them to school....

YOU GO GIRL!
I hope you actually read what she said. It seems mostly at odds with your usual position. It would be awesome if you saw the light because of Avignon.

avignon
08-30-2005, 09:30 AM
No, I think you are misreading what I wrote. What I said was that on a message board - more or less any message board, not just this one - when you have someone who, like Q, has gone to great lengths to establish themself as someone who pays great attentions to the finer points of debate and rhetoric, their credibility is undermined by the sloppy usage of language. I am not talking about someone with a lesser formal education, or English as a second language, or a learning disability who is just trying to contribute to normal discussion; I am referring specifically to personalities who set themselves up as minor 'authorities' and look for ways to bullethole the statements of those they percieve as opponents.
OK, I concede the point. If someone is belittling someone or even if they are just show-boating their debate skills, then yeah, the spelling errors makes them look like a hypocritical knob. But at the same time, it looks like evading their arguments to point out those errors. Kind of like a last ditch effort to "win" the argument.

avignon
08-30-2005, 09:31 AM
I hope you actually read what she said. It seems mostly at odds with your usual position. It would be awesome if you saw the light because of Avignon.
sssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's bordering on sensitve.

avignon
08-30-2005, 09:34 AM
I agree with Avignon whole-heartedly. But then I've never seen her bully people or call them stupid because she read a book that they didn't read.

A good idea is a good idea and no one needs a study to back it up. The most interesting things come from life experience rather than formal education. But if you disagree with me on this, you set yourself up to be criticized when you can't live up to your own high standard.

My problem is with people who flaunt their education to intimidate others when they don't appear to be as educated as they claim to be. Sometimes it's consistent poor grammar, but more often it's a narrow world view or it's that they throw out "facts" that aren't true assuming that no one will notice. It's easy to overstate your background and bully people on a message board. And I can smell that kind of insecurity 10000 miles away.
Again, point conceded. And I did originally realize that my initial post really didn't follow the course of the poor-spellers' defense in this thread. I had no one in mind on this board when I posted it. Just more or less a gripe from the rest of my life. :)

ms.peachy
08-30-2005, 09:36 AM
If someone is belittling someone or even if they are just show-boating their debate skills, then yeah, the spelling errors makes them look like a hypocritical knob.
Perfectly summarised, yes. :)
But at the same time, it looks like evading their arguments to point out those errors. Kind of like a last ditch effort to "win" the argument.
True, but I think most people when they do that are essentially saying "Get over yourself, you ain't all that, pal."

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 09:36 AM
A good idea is a good idea and no one needs a study to back it up. eh...
that's a loaded statement.
there are some stances that you can't just get a pass on if contemporary study has shown it to be flawed.

you don't need to have stats and research ready to quote , to be validated all the time...
but it helps.

research and an implied proof of knowledge on a subject says more than someones applied detail to "i before e".

The most interesting things come from life experience rather than formal education. But if you disagree with me on this, you set yourself up to be criticized when you can't live up to your own high standard. anticipating a retort, eh? building a defense by shameful persuation....

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 09:41 AM
i gotta disagree with peachy and documad...

i again think, as avignon stated, commenting on random minor spelling errors " looks like evading their arguments to point out those errors. Kind of like a last ditch effort to "win" the argument."

True, but I think most people when they do that are essentially saying "Get over yourself, you ain't all that, pal."
which is such a childish and empty retort.

you're just excusing dismissive cowardice.....

ms.peachy
08-30-2005, 09:44 AM
i gotta disagree with peachy and documad...

We wouldn't have expected anything else, darling :)

avignon
08-30-2005, 09:44 AM
eh...
that's a loaded statement.
there are some stances that you can't just get a pass on if contemporary study has shown it to be flawed.

you don't need to have stats and research ready to quote , to be validated all the time...
but it helps.

You are over-thinking this. What Documad and I are saying is that it really depends on the topic at hand. A person's life experience is a type of study. What is the difference if you quote a reference of a study that was done by collecting data about single mothers on welfare or someone who is a single mother on welfare speaking her opinion?

avignon
08-30-2005, 09:49 AM
And I got to agree with Q. If someone points out spelling errors to say, "you ain't all that", that is just lowering yourself to their same level. That is to say if it is the same scenario we were using throughout this discussion; a person is belittling someone else's remarks in a discussion and makes spelling errors while doing it.

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 09:54 AM
OK, I concede the point. If someone is belittling someone or even if they are just show-boating their debate skills, then yeah, the spelling errors makes them look like a hypocritical knob.

eh...i just think it's a ploy.

intentionally not seeing the forest for the trees just to be evasive and dismissive.
it's transparent and weak.

if, in a debate, you counter someones stance with a point by point rebutal...citing research and referances and solid "rationaile"...

and that person retorts with "you spelled "rationale" wrong!...ha!"....

come on....you respect that?

ms.peachy
08-30-2005, 09:58 AM
You spelled "rebuttal" wrong! Ha!

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 10:03 AM
You spelled "rebuttal" wrong! Ha!

yeah AZ already attempted that obvious joke....

yours came out no more clever.....

but i'll fix it, so you can see the forest for the trees now.

ms.peachy
08-30-2005, 10:05 AM
yeah AZ already attempted that obvious joke....

yours came out no more clever.....

but i'll fix it, so you can see the forest for the trees now.
comedy is all in the timing, my friend.

avignon
08-30-2005, 10:07 AM
The spelling errors don't even make me flinch. But, goddammit, why the hell do you "..." after everything you type!?!?

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 10:07 AM
comedy is all in the timing, my friend.

it's also about being funny, my friend.

get back on topic.

ms.peachy
08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
it's also about being funny, my friend.

get back on topic.
It was funny.

To me.

I'm not actually all that concerned with whether or not you liked it, I'm here for my own benefit.

Oh and um, make me :p

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 10:10 AM
The spelling errors don't even make me flinch. But, goddammit, why the hell do you "..." after everything you type!?!?

that's my "thing".

i dunno....it sort of expresses a pause in thought or converation. it's expressive. (like spelling "don't know" as "dunno")

i could just use a period or comma, and stick to standard grammatical rules...
but i like using my artistic license....

avignon
08-30-2005, 10:10 AM
..........?

..........?

................................You're outta control with these.........................

Documad
08-30-2005, 10:12 AM
qdrop, I haven't corrected your spelling or grammar (even though typos are distracting because my eye involuntarily locks on those things whenever I read anything). I corrected other people, on purpose, to poke at them, when they were being assholes to other people.

Your arguments are never going to reach me, mostly on account of style. I doubt that you will cry yourself to sleep over it. I don't like the way you talk to people and I find it hard to read what you're actually saying through the aggression. Which is too bad because I find your actual ideas interesting sometimes.

Maybe you really do put your faith in studies, but I studied statistics and I don't. Most of what I learned in undergrad has been completely useless in understanding life, public policy issues, or people. Most of what I find helpful today I learned from people who had different backgrounds from mine.

When someone cites statistics or studies I either (1) cut it to shreds for an intellectual exercise or (2) ignore it completely and read on in hope of finding an original idea or a real experience I can relate to. The only value statistics have for me is in figuring out why someone studied them and how they slanted either the collection or presentation for their purpose. Most Americans are complete morons when it comes to math and they lack the skills necessary to understand studies, which is why studies are so dangerous. Cigarettes are healthy, pollution is good, and apparently so is high fat food. We've got nothing to worry about!

I'm not saying that everyone has to be like me. I'm saying that someone cares about persuading rather than working out aggression or showing off one particular set of skills, that someone should try out different techniques sometimes.

And folks in the political forum don't link to legit studies and facts anyway. You never have enough info. to evaluate them. I can make up citations that look great but it won't make my ideas any better.

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 10:13 AM
..........?

..........?

................................You're outta control with these.........................

i can't be tamed...i'm a wild stallion!!

avignon
08-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks, Documad. You said in an all growed up way what I was trying to say in my bumpkin way. <3

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
qdrop, I haven't corrected your spelling or grammar (even though they are super distracting because my eye involuntarily locks on those things whenever I read anything). that's a personal OCD type issue that you bring on others.

I corrected other people, on purpose, to distract them, when they were being assholes to other people. very mature. why not just make fun of thier mother?

Your arguments are never going to reach me, mostly on account of style. I doubt that you will cry yourself to sleep over it. I don't like the way you talk to people and I find it hard to read what you're actually saying through the aggression. Which is too bad because I find your actual ideas interesting sometimes. this is probably one of 3 entire posts by you that i have actually ever read.
i usually find your style a boring as CSPAN.

Maybe you really do put your faith in studies, but I studied statistics and I don't. Most of what I learned in undergrad has been completely useless in understanding life, public policy issues, or people. Most of what I find helpful today I learned from people who had different backgrounds from mine.

When someone sites statistics or studies I either (1) cut it to shreds for an intellectual exercise or (2) ignore it completely and read on in hope of finding an original idea or a real experience I can relate to. The only value statistics have for me is in figuring out why someone studied them and how they slanted either the collection or presentation for their purpose. Most Americans are complete morons when it comes to math and they lack the skills necessary to understand studies, which is why studies are so dangerous. Cigarettes are healthy, pollution is good, and apparently so is high fat food. We've got nothing to worry about! i loathe statistics...and have mentioned that many times.
guess you coulnd't pick up on that through all my aggression.

wuss.

I'm not saying that everyone has to be like me. I'm saying that someone cares about persuading rather than working out aggression or showing off one particular set of skills, that someone should try out different techniques sometimes. i do. often.
you choose not to take notice.

your mind is naturally looking for patterns....to help solidify your personal stereoype of me...

Documad
08-30-2005, 10:23 AM
this is probably one of 3 entire posts by you that i have actually ever read.
i usually find your style a boring as CSPAN.
Gee, and all this time I thought that you weren't responding to my arguments because you couldn't. :o

avignon
08-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Gee, and all this time I thought that you weren't responding to my arguments because you couldn't. :o
....hahahahahahahahahahhaha........

That is so classic..............Documad killed you............and she did it in one line........ :D (y)

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 11:02 AM
....hahahahahahahahahahhaha........

That is so classic..............Documad killed you............and she did it in one line........ :D (y)

you're kidding, right?

i assumed it took more then canned response to get you excited.

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 11:04 AM

no, you never thought that.

you knew i, like many others, were just glossing over your posts and moving on to the next.

don't lie.

avignon
08-30-2005, 11:05 AM
you're kidding, right?

i assumed it took more then canned response to get you excited.
It's always amusing to see people diss you. But Documad posted a one-liner! That's quite a phenomenon.

roosta
08-30-2005, 11:05 AM
this board needs more written battle rap threads to settle these things...

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 11:06 AM
i just noticed this thread currently contains almost all of the most arrogant (and probably egotistical) posters on the BBMB (including myself).

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 11:06 AM
But Documad posted a one-liner! That's quite a phenomenon.
good point.

Qdrop
08-30-2005, 11:13 AM
this board needs more written battle rap threads to settle these things...
that's pretty much what these threads are.

"NOW EVERBODY FROM THE 585, PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR AND ACT ALIVE! EVERBODY FROM THE 585, PUT YOUR MOTHER FUCKIN HANDS UP!
look look...

now while she stands tough, notice that peachy did have her hands up"...

DroppinScience
08-30-2005, 12:26 PM
yAh, eye n0, dood! i haite it wehn peeple tel mie I haLf 2 spelll wRite! i meen, im entellijent andd stuuf. wOn tipe-o or 2 itt iz onely an acksident! ThEyy r juSt beeing immmateur aNd trieinng 2 deeflict attenshun aWey frum teh facet taHt theey half n0e treu reebutttal! :cool:

P.S. - :p

Y'know, I'm actually kind of shocked nobody supported this thesis! :eek:

Documad
08-30-2005, 03:30 PM
i just noticed this thread currently contains almost all of the most arrogant (and probably egotistical) posters on the BBMB (including myself).
Oooh, let's start a clique!

Auton
08-30-2005, 03:40 PM

synch
08-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Joke has already been made Auton.

It's ok though, it will achieve the same effect.

synch
08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Y'know, I'm actually kind of shocked nobody supported this thesis! :eek:
I'd be shocked if anyone actually read it. I know I didn't bother :)

DroppinScience
08-30-2005, 09:46 PM
I'd be shocked if anyone actually read it. I know I didn't bother :)

Aw c'mon. You have no clue how hard I worked on making every single word horribly misspelled. :D

The temptation was too strong to spell everything right. ;)

marsdaddy
08-30-2005, 10:24 PM
I can't be arsed to read this whole thread, but I think it's obvious that poor spelling means lack of intelligence. Look at the two biggest offenders: Qdrop and Echewta. Need I say more?

Sarky Devotchka
08-31-2005, 12:39 AM
I read almost the whole thing. no matter what anyone says, if you're an adult and use an apostrophe to make something other than an individual number or letter plural, you're a fucking retard.

that's just basic shit man, seriously. possession or contraction!

if you can't communicate your ideas effectively, it's your problem, not the reader's.

that said, typos happen, I just get annoyed by glaring misspellings or blatant abuse of quotes and apostrophes.

Kid Presentable
08-31-2005, 12:55 AM
I read almost the whole thing. no matter what anyone says, if you're an adult and use an apostrophe to make something other than an individual number or letter plural, you're a fucking retard.

if you can't communicate your ideas effectively, it's your problem, not the reader's.

that said, typos happen, I just get annoyed by glaring misspellings or blatant abuse of quotes and apostrophes.

I've seen some words spelled in a way that couldn't be a typo; the letters used may as well be on another keyboard.

Medellia
08-31-2005, 01:02 AM
I've always preferred the term "Grammar Gestapo" myself.

avignon
08-31-2005, 04:55 AM

In Cheyenne, the apostrophe stands for a full stop which is one of the 14 letters of the alphabet.

Qdrop
08-31-2005, 07:41 AM
I can't be arsed to read this whole thread, but I think it's obvious that poor spelling means lack of intelligence. Look at the two biggest offenders: Qdrop and Echewta. Need I say more?

i believe i already made it clear that you are DEAD TO ME!

dead people don't talk, ya know...

marsdaddy
08-31-2005, 10:35 PM
i believe i already made it clear that you are DEAD TO ME!

dead people don't talk, ya know...Between your poor grammar and misspellings, you make nothing clear.

Documad
09-01-2005, 12:06 AM
I just get annoyed by glaring misspellings or blatant abuse of quotes and apostrophes.
This Kurdish restaurant that I got to all the time has a menu that makes many ingredients into possessives. Dishes feature onion's, tomato's, potato's, etc.

The food is yummy and the people are lovely.

Schmeltz
09-01-2005, 01:23 AM
Heh heh heh, Qdrop. As I believe I once said to you before, somebody who takes pains to follow the basic nuances of spelling and grammar is obviously somebody who cares about the quality of his message. Conversely, somebody who doesn't bother to articulate his ideas properly is very likely someone with little regard for his audience, or simply too careless with his mode of expression to be worthy of much notice.

Now, there are of course exceptions to this principle - yourself being one. But I cannot profess to understand them. You don't think like gmsisko, so why do want your messages to come across like his? Why not take a little extra time to conform to a certain standard of textual professionalism? It won't do you any harm.

Qdrop
09-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Heh heh heh, Qdrop. As I believe I once said to you before, somebody who takes pains to follow the basic nuances of spelling and grammar is obviously somebody who cares about the quality of his message. Conversely, somebody who doesn't bother to articulate his ideas properly is very likely someone with little regard for his audience, or simply too careless with his mode of expression to be worthy of much notice. could you be any more elitist? could you?
i can't even compete with that ^

Now, there are of course exceptions to this principle - yourself being one. But I cannot profess to understand them. You don't think like gmsisko, so why do want your messages to come across like his? Why not take a little extra time to conform to a certain standard of textual professionalism? It won't do you any harm. can't smart people be lazy too? can't they?

Qdrop
09-01-2005, 06:59 AM
Between your poor grammar and misspellings, you make nothing clear.

see, you are a shining example of what we were talking about earlier.....

thanks for the re-enactment, mars....you can sit down now.

Schmeltz
09-01-2005, 11:00 AM
could you be any more elitist?

There's nothing elitist whatsoever about what I said. The medium, after all, is the message: a properly constructed text is indicative of somebody who respects his readers and his own ideas. You might say that an informal medium like the BBMB relieves you of any duty to textual precision, but I would argue that adherence to the rules of spelling and grammar even in less formal correspondence indicates a more genuine commitment to the quality of one's ideas and the means by which they are expressed.

And no, smart people are generally not lazy people.

Qdrop
09-01-2005, 11:39 AM
You might say that an informal medium like the BBMB relieves you of any duty to textual precision, i do.

but I would argue that adherence to the rules of spelling and grammar even in less formal correspondence indicates a more genuine commitment to the quality of one's ideas and the means by which they are expressed. then it's just opinion vs. opinion.

no right or wrong.

And no, smart people are generally not lazy people. HA! you cwazy.....

marsdaddy
09-01-2005, 11:17 PM
see, you are a shining example of what we were talking about earlier.....

thanks for the re-enactment, mars....you can sit down now.Is that the royal we, or do you and your little firecracker discuss the board at home?

Qdrop
09-02-2005, 06:49 AM
Is that the royal we, or do you and your little firecracker discuss the board at home?

royal we.

try reading the thread....

teat
09-02-2005, 07:23 AM
royal we.

try reading the thread....

Can't do it.