PDA

View Full Version : Dylan's Gaslight CD at Starbucks

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 08:35 AM
...yeah, it may only be available at Starbucks (for now), but if it's the same as the old Gaslight bootleg I had back in the day, it's fAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNtastic.

A-.

Docked only for sound quality.

wanton wench
08-29-2005, 09:16 AM
i thought they sold coffee at starbucks? :confused:

enree erzweglle
08-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Do we know why he teamed up with Starbucks for this project?

wanton wench
08-29-2005, 09:41 AM
free coffee?

enree erzweglle
08-29-2005, 09:56 AM
I seriously wondered about this when I first read about it a couple of months ago. I didn't think the decision could really be motivated by finances. Although I guess you never know.

Maybe this is how it went: Give us the Gaslight Concert to sell and we won't build a Starbucks on your property.

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Yeah -- I really don't know.

It's like: some country star signed an agreement with Walmart that his next CD will only be sold there.

Unless the guarantee is just huge and the sles rights eventually revert back to the regular distributor, I don't understand what's in it for the artist. I do know what's in it for the retailer -- a bit of guaranteed traffic. Ifa huge loss leader is your thing -- hell, why not?

Makes me wonder when Walmart or Starbucks or McDonalds (Justin Timberlake?) will just start their own label and sign the Neptunes or Kayne West or whomever.

yeahwho
08-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Branding an image and bundling it with a semi-obscure recording is all the rage with Starbucks. It's a formula they've mastered and I'll have to hand it to them, people fall for it.

My mom was one of Starbucks first customers up here in Seattle and still actually buys their decaf coffee weekly (off the supermarket shelf). She used to drive downtown to the Pike Place Market and hang with the hippies, drink fresh roasted beans and bring them home in a brown bag with a sticker on it.

Of course that has all changed, now there a 100 gazillion starbucks and trillions of people drink burnt medium quality beans trying to forget about the complete corporate raping of America in a franchised coffeeshop listening to another song in a long line of Sony Corp's. complete stranglehold of American music.

Just sayin'...and you know if abcdefz says this is a good recording, I'll prolly end up buying it....damn. :o

enree erzweglle
08-29-2005, 03:24 PM
They are the king of branding, that's for sure. They've got people paying $7 for coffee. Wow.

I did get it when Starbucks brokered the deal to offer selections from A Charlie Brown Christmas, but I don't get the Bob Dylan deal.

To their defense, Starbucks did save me a bit when I was in Zurich before I got free (ahem) wireless.

And the smell of their stores does not nauseate me. Whereas the smell of Gloria Jeans...man, I could vomit whenever I just pass one of their stores. Same with Cold Stone Creamery. Something about the smells of those places makes me literally and instantly sick to my stomach. Blech. (n)

edit: yeah, I want that CD now too.

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Branding an image and bundling it with a semi-obscure recording is all the rage with Starbucks. It's a formula they've mastered and I'll have to hand it to them, people fall for it.

My mom was one of Starbucks first customers up here in Seattle and still actually buys their decaf coffee weekly (off the supermarket shelf). She used to drive downtown to the Pike Place Market and hang with the hippies, drink fresh roasted beans and bring them home in a brown bag with a sticker on it.

Of course that has all changed, now there a 100 gazillion starbucks and trillions of people drink burnt medium quality beans trying to forget about the complete corporate raping of America in a franchised coffeeshop listening to another song in a long line of Sony Corp's. complete stranglehold of American music.

Just sayin'...and you know if abcdefz says this is a good recording, I'll prolly end up buying it....damn. :o

...if it's the same one I used to have, it's filled with tons of old folks tunes that he's covering. Among the stuff he wrote, there's a fucking awesome version of "Hattie Carrol" (sp?).

Anyway, yeah. I lived in Sacramento and then headed up to Vancouver, BC for a bit. That was my first encounter with Starbucks -- downtown Vancouver. The friends I met couldn't believe I'd never heard of Starbucks.

Anyway, I lived there for a few months, then moved back to Sacramento, and bam!

Starbuckses everywhere. :eek:

abcdefz
08-29-2005, 03:35 PM
I did get it when Starbucks brokered the deal to offer selections from A Charlie Brown Christmas, but I don't get the Bob Dylan deal.

...didn't they also sell his autobiography, when that came out? Hmmm....

The way I figure: he's a safe baby-boomer rebel, now a commodity and accessory for anyone with $18.

adam_f
08-29-2005, 03:36 PM
They play Bob Dylan all the time in this one coffee shop I go to. Not a Starbucks, but he's constantly on. Therefore I'm constantly listening to whatever else I have with me.

enree erzweglle
08-29-2005, 03:37 PM
...if it's the same one I used to have, it's filled with tons of old folks tunes that he's covering. Among the stuff he wrote, there's a fucking awesome version of "Hattie Carrol" (sp?).

Anyway, yeah. I lived in Sacramento and then headed up to Vancouver, BC for a bit. That was my first encounter with Starbucks -- downtown Vancouver. The friends I met couldn't believe I'd never heard of Starbucks.

Anyway, I lived there for a few months, then moved back to Sacramento, and bam!

Starbuckses everywhere. :eek:
I think I have that bootleg sitting in my CD tower at work. A friend made it for me right before I left for vacation and I listened but not deeply. It was live and folk-songy and raw sounding, but good.

Lewis Black has some good things to say about Starbucks. :D

enree erzweglle
08-29-2005, 03:39 PM
...didn't they also sell his autobiography, when that came out? Hmmm....

The way I figure: he's a safe baby-boomer rebel, now a commodity and accessory for anyone with $18.
That's a good assessment of it.

And the BD from the 60s might not like the BD of today.

(I don't remember if they sold his autobiography. Before last month, I think I was in a Starbucks twice and I never really read about them before they started spawning all over the place here. :o)