PDA

View Full Version : Model rockets

abcdefz
08-30-2005, 01:13 PM
...did anyone else here (does anyone else here) build model rockets as a kid and shoot 'em off?

Just curious. Are they still being sold, or is it like lawn darts?

King PSYZ
08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
i was building them a few years ago, you can get em every where. even wal*mart sells em now.

the best is experimenting outside the recomended uses :D

abcdefz
08-30-2005, 01:18 PM
i was building them a few years ago, you can get em every where. even wal*mart sells em now.

heh
:cool:

Nuzzolese
08-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Sure did. We often put a Lego Astronaut in them too. We usually shot them off in cemetaries. They still make them and they're pretty expensive and high tech. Hobby stores have all the stuff you need.

abcdefz
08-30-2005, 01:19 PM

...what were the brands....? Estes...? ......?

My favorite was a "Mars Explorer" that was supposed to have been, like, a level four or something. And it was SO easy to build, looked SO sweet, flew SO high, and SO on...

HEIRESS
08-30-2005, 01:21 PM
we made em outta pop bottles in highschool physics

King PSYZ
08-30-2005, 01:21 PM
free tip. none of the cheepo ignition starters are alike, even the same brand.

we built a super rocket for night launching, 6 motors surrounding a rocket with a larger motor in the center and a super bright blue led on a parachute...

long story short, half the motors launched a milisecond early taking it from vertical launching rocket, to lateral moving missle. just missed my head and then exploded...

good times. (y)

Nuzzolese
08-30-2005, 01:22 PM
"pop" bottles? Heiress, you call it pop? I thought Canadians said Soda like I do.

ToucanSpam
08-30-2005, 01:22 PM
I used to make the models planes made of like styrofoam and throw em when i was in a tree. It was more fun building them.

HEIRESS
08-30-2005, 01:24 PM
"pop" bottles? Heiress, you call it pop? I thought Canadians said Soda like I do.

Ive only used the word soda when talking about characters in SE Hinton novels

true story!

King PSYZ
08-30-2005, 01:26 PM
heh, the styro planes reminds me
we tried those too, several large engines on the wing tips and rear, usually broke off the wings and a severe melt down in the tail.

ToucanSpam
08-30-2005, 01:27 PM
heh, the styro planes reminds me
we tried those too, several large engines on the wing tips and rear, usually broke off the wings and a severe melt down in the tail.
Yeah, I remember that they all got 'shot down' on their first throw basically.

I prefered super soaker wars. :cool:

Nuzzolese
08-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Ive only used the word soda when talking about characters in SE Hinton novels

true story!

What about Baking Soda?

Abe Froman
08-30-2005, 02:32 PM
My dad did some commercial work for Estes so they gave him a trunk load of rockets. From simple slap on a sticker to the space shuttle. No matter, the big ones were built and shot with the most powerful engine that would fit. Good times running across the park trying to find out where they went. I was spoiled. If we lost one, there were 30 more in the garage waiting to be built.

We use to also tie the engines onto the jungle gym at the park. Great fun until one of the engines hit a big window in the front of some peoples house. RUN!!!!!

abcdefz
08-30-2005, 02:49 PM
Sounds like fun, except for socially-irresponsible part.

No, wait -- that sounds kinda fun, too.