PDA

View Full Version : Funny thing about colonization

miss soul fire
08-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Like in my country for example, we've been colonized by the Portuguese for like 300 years and now they are not just our "buddy" country, but they know much more about us than we know about them. Yes, we're still a Third World country, but I don't mean that and I also don't mean Portugal is a bad country, quite the opposite actually, but it's interesting to see that in history, you know, through the years how things can turn into something totally different. They know much more about our Television shows than us sometimes, they even started to appear in our famous (there and here) soap operas. It makes me wanna know much more about them now.

Kinda like England and the U.S?

Nuzzolese
08-31-2005, 10:17 AM
I love the title of this thread, it sounds like the beginning of a joke like "so an imperialist and a catholic walk into a jungle..."

But wasn't that the whole idea. Set up an outpost and some colonels and let them make money for us.

I'm reading an awesome book right now, about Brazil. It's half memoir (of a man's recent travels in Brazil) and half history. I love it! It's so fascinating, infuriating, heart wrenching. I found out about the town my capoeira school was named for - Palmeres. And I've just gotten past the horrible destruction of Canudos in the drylands. In between the 1600s accounts of slavery and the late 1800s accounts of Antonio the Counselor, are more recent historical explanations of the Lula/Collor election and other simple descriptions of northeastern community life verses south eastern metropolitan cities, explanations of the food and the uneven distribution of wealth, the private helicopters, the favellas. I love reading about it.

Abe Froman
08-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Kinda like England and the U.S?

I don't know if I would compare it to England and the U.S. I would be suprised if half of this country knew we were part of England to begin with. Let alone the French helping us to defeat them.

I will say that the British make better television that we tend to. Especially with creative comedy.

miss soul fire
08-31-2005, 10:21 AM
That's nice to hear, Nuzzolese. Oh, there's this movie all about the Canudos war. I really like it.

At the Collor times I remember I was in the streets with lots of other teenagers with painted faces "fighting" for the impeachment. Historic moment. :o

Lula and his party are destroying my country though. Corruption everywhere here. We're the ones to blame too. Brazilian people are very pacifists (sp). But these guys are going down. The country is a mess at this very moment!!! (n)

miss soul fire
08-31-2005, 10:23 AM
I don't know if I would compare it to England and the U.S. I would be suprised if half of this country knew we were part of England to begin with. Let alone the French helping us to defeat them.

I will say that the British make better television that we tend to. Especially with creative comedy.
Maybe American TV has been there for such a long time that people feel like chancing of bit of environment. :p

Nuzzolese
08-31-2005, 10:23 AM
I realized that my post doesn't exactly relate to what you said. I think I misunderstood. I took it the exact opposite way then just started talking about the book I'm reading. I'm a little energetic today, not thinking.

It is odd how that happens, like English try to set up colonies in other places like a mini country or a NEW england, heh, then the colonies develop their own culture and the motherland admires it. But maybe part of it is because some people see the new colonies as an escape or a chance to start over, so some people colonize with the intention of changing the image of their home country.

What about Australia, which has its own much admired popular culture which is very western even though the British initially sent their criminals there.

ms.peachy
08-31-2005, 10:27 AM
I learned in the pub quiz the other night that Rio de Janiero was the capital of Portugal from 1807-1821.

Amazing the things you learn at the pub, I tell you.

Nuzzolese
08-31-2005, 10:29 AM
That's nice to hear, Nuzzolese. Oh, there's this movie all about the Canudos war. I really like it.

At the Collor times I remember I was in the streets with lots of other teenagers with painted faces "fighting" for the impeachment. Historic moment. :o

Lula and his party are destroying my country though. Corruption everywhere here. We're the ones to blame too. Brazilian people are very pacifists (sp). But these guys are going down. The country is a mess at this very moment!!! (n)

There was so much I didn't know about Brazil and it has such a complex history. I think it's relevant for North Americans too, because of the unfairness in the distribution of land, the religious influence, the corruption in the governing powers, the sedating effect of the soap operas not reflecting reality for miserable people who watch them. Ever since I saw City of God and then started doing Capo I am getting more interested in Brazil. Now every where I look I see things that remind me of it, and see that it's not just in Brazil. Like for example, there are just as many street kids in Nairobi, sniffing glue and living in gangs of kids no older than 17. I've been pretty ignorant, no matter how much you read the newspaper and go to school there are always things that slip out of your attention. Plus I studied a lot of history and it's weird to see history that is current, seeming so much like what feels like it ought to come out of book of the horrors of the past.