PDA

View Full Version : PC gaming

beastieangel01
08-31-2005, 01:04 PM
so my PC has always been crap and I was unable to get PC games for myself. I always played on others computers.

So, right now, I have a chance to get Halo, CS, and UT 2004.

Should I do it? huh huh? should I? and would any of you buffoons play with me?

beastieangel01
08-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Bob, answer me!

:p

Bob
08-31-2005, 01:07 PM
i didn't like halo on the PC, it was better for xbox. i'd get half-life 2, and go nuts with the mods for it, like counterstrike. even the half-life one mods are great up to this day (day of defeat, and uh......day of defeat). i'd play CS with you, i still do now and then

edit: ok, what the fuck

skinnybutphat
08-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Video games are for pimply-faced losers. My parents still refer to any video game of any kind as Nintendo.

Bob
08-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Video games are for pimply-faced losers. My parents still refer to any video game of any kind as Nintendo.

i dont have pimples :mad:

cosmo105
08-31-2005, 01:17 PM
steger would play...he and i would both play you at MoH if you got that. he's really good at RoN if you got that too, but i fucking hate that game.

Abe Froman
08-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Or KoR, HoG, and MaD if you get that.

HEIRESS
08-31-2005, 01:21 PM
my brother will counterstrike it up with you

and I may randomly yell shit into the mic at you liiike "DAMN SONS YAH KILLIN MEH!"

skinnybutphat
08-31-2005, 01:21 PM
i dont have pimples :mad:

That's probably because all the ultra - violent rays from your Nintendo games sucked the oil right off of your jerky face.

Abe Froman
08-31-2005, 01:22 PM
I really wish they made the Pirates game multiplayer.

Jodry
08-31-2005, 01:23 PM
Or KoR, HoG, and MaD if you get that.
You're jus making those up now, aren't you...

I'ts true, Halo PC isn't as great as the original, but it's good if you dont have an Xbox. The new maps are good though.

CS and UT2004 are worth buying. I'd play CS with ya, but I'd probably get pwned cause I always do.

beastieangel01
08-31-2005, 01:25 PM
i didn't like halo on the PC, it was better for xbox. i'd get half-life 2, and go nuts with the mods for it, like counterstrike. even the half-life one mods are great up to this day (day of defeat, and uh......day of defeat). i'd play CS with you, i still do now and then

edit: ok, what the fuck

I figured you would be one of the first ones to respond so I mentioned you :p lol

anyway, do you know much about video cards? I want to be sure my comp can handle Half-Life 2 but I don't really know if my video card is good enough.

beastieangel01
08-31-2005, 01:26 PM
You're jus making those up now, aren't you...

I'ts true, Halo PC isn't as great as the original, but it's good if you dont have an Xbox. The new maps are good though.

CS and UT2004 are worth buying. I'd play CS with ya, but I'd probably get pwned cause I always do.

yeah I don't have a X-Box so I am SOL there.

I don't know why I never really bothered getting this stuff for my own PC. I am obsessive with FPS games. What is wrong with me.

Bob
08-31-2005, 01:34 PM
steger would play...he and i would both play you at MoH if you got that. he's really good at RoN if you got that too, but i fucking hate that game.

ron is way too complicated for me to play, but i like to watch it. it's like a miniature history of the world for every game.

Rich Cheney
08-31-2005, 01:35 PM
I've been playing UT2K4 for sometime now.
FPS can only be played on a PC, but you know that.

cosmo105
08-31-2005, 01:35 PM
exactly. he tried to get me to play it once but after a few minutes i just sat there and wept.

Bob
08-31-2005, 01:36 PM
I figured you would be one of the first ones to respond so I mentioned you :p lol

anyway, do you know much about video cards? I want to be sure my comp can handle Half-Life 2 but I don't really know if my video card is good enough.

i don't know a TON about video cards, but i do know that HL2 needs a super excellent one to run well. i have a radeon 9800pro (which was at one point top of the line, and i think it's still semi close), and it still jerks every now and then. not too badly though. i think it cost $200 or something, but i think it's worth it, because it probably won't be going out of date any time soon.

so to answer your question, no, i don't know much :(. but you can probably check the minimum/recommended requirements and compare it to what you have.

Bob
08-31-2005, 01:38 PM
exactly. he tried to get me to play it once but after a few minutes i just sat there and wept.

yeah, the economic stuff is too damn complicated for me to handle. i can only balance one thing at a time in those RTS games, either economy (IE, tropico, which rules) or war (warcraft 3, dawn of war, which is really excellent); when you combine the two too much, i get lost. dawn of war is great, because all your resources are determined by how much of the map's strategic points you hold. you literally win through the strategic use of flags. and space marines

beastieangel01
08-31-2005, 01:43 PM
i don't know a TON about video cards, but i do know that HL2 needs a super excellent one to run well. i have a radeon 9800pro (which was at one point top of the line, and i think it's still semi close), and it still jerks every now and then. not too badly though. i think it cost $200 or something, but i think it's worth it, because it probably won't be going out of date any time soon.

so to answer your question, no, i don't know much :(. but you can probably check the minimum/recommended requirements and compare it to what you have.

Yeah I have a Radeon 9200SE, here's a link to the specs. (http://www.cooltechzone.com/reviews/video_cards/p9200se_2.php) I'm pretty sure it's not going to be good enough, which sucks, because I don't have $200 dollars to fork over for a good video card.

p.s. Cos, is it Pacific Assault or Allied Assault for MoH?

Actually, does Pacific Assault have MP now? I don't even know.

Damnit.

cosmo105
08-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Allied Assault. we played the demo version, but i think he has the real thing.

beastieangel01
08-31-2005, 01:49 PM
ah okay. Also, I would play RoN, but I never got in to Strategy games much.

I just like to shoot things :o

cosmo105
08-31-2005, 01:51 PM
haha me too :D but i get too into it and get really excited if i start winning, or really, REALLY pissed when i suck (which is most of the time). that reminds me of one time when i was playing Ecco the Dolphin on DC and i couldn't pass the second level because there was a giant great white shark and it kept killing me and i was hyperventilating and had to stop playing :\

synch
08-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Half life 2 is pretty damn scalable but a 9200se is fairly low end... not sure what the minimum specs for half life 2 are though.

I played Raven Shield with some friends the other day, it was the first time in AGES I played an online pc game.

Games I own and would enjoy playing online with you lot:

Counterstrike
Call of Duty
Battlefield 1942 (plus both expansions)
Battlefield 2 multiplayer demo (:o no money for the proper one at the moment)
Raven Shield
X-Wing Alliance (have been dying to try the multiplayer thing but haven't managed to get some people together to do so)

Soldat was tons of fun too, very basic, simple, platformish shooter game.

edit: willing to download any multiplayer demo though :)

Oooh, old school quake 3? should work on all pc's ;)

Bob
08-31-2005, 02:00 PM
i "tried" soldat, but i think it must have had some kind of copy protection or something, because the camera kept spinning around to the left, no matter what i did. i tried driving a jeep and it kept turning left, too. i crashed into a river and didn't play it since.

ET
08-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Ecco the Dolphin on DC

That game is killer. Just wait til you hit the later levels. BIGGER SHARKS.

HEIRESS, we should CS it up one day. I wanna get pwned.

cosmo105
08-31-2005, 02:10 PM
i know, man. the walkthrough for that shit was a good 50 pages long. it was pretty soothing to watch someone else play, though. always put me to sleep.

beastieangel01
08-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Half life 2 is pretty damn scalable but a 9200se is fairly low end... not sure what the minimum specs for half life 2 are though.

--Required

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

1.2 Ghz processor

256 MB of RAM

DirectX 7 compatible graphics card

--Recommended

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

2.4 Ghz processor

512 MB of RAM

DirectX 9 enabled graphics card

So other than the video card, my comp is pretty decent:
80GB HD
1GB RAM
Intel Pent 4 2.80 Ghz

synch
08-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Directx 7, your card is (at least in theory) directx 9 so that shouldn't be a problem. You won't be able to play on the highest detail on the highest resolution but it should run properly :)

ET
08-31-2005, 02:22 PM
i know, man. the walkthrough for that shit was a good 50 pages long. it was pretty soothing to watch someone else play, though. always put me to sleep.

I ought to go back to it but the underwater maze... Godamn, that whole game is one big underwater level. Those usually suck. Then throw a maze into the mix?! I got up to that part without a guide.

Alright, I think I hit my nerd quota for the week.

p.s. JSRF for only $7? Yes, please!

synch
08-31-2005, 02:22 PM
i "tried" soldat, but i think it must have had some kind of copy protection or something, because the camera kept spinning around to the left, no matter what i did. i tried driving a jeep and it kept turning left, too. i crashed into a river and didn't play it since.I think we are talking about two different things.

Soldat is a 2d platform shooter :D

http://www.soldat.pl/main.php

cosmo105
08-31-2005, 02:23 PM
p.s. JSRF for only $7? Yes, please!
oooh no way! have you played it yet? the engrish is even better in it! the moves are better too, the levels are way bigger, and you can do more. i love it.

beastieangel01
08-31-2005, 02:23 PM
Directx 7, your card is (at least in theory) directx 9 so that shouldn't be a problem. You won't be able to play on the highest detail on the highest resolution but it should run properly :)

cool. Thanks for the help. Now I just have to see if I can afford to be getting Half-Life 2 right now :p

synch
08-31-2005, 02:39 PM
There should be a demo around, run that if you want to be sure :)

ET
08-31-2005, 02:41 PM
I HEART ROBOY

I forgot about that zombie game... I guess I'm dead now.

beastieangel01
08-31-2005, 03:20 PM
^ u-r dead

There should be a demo around, run that if you want to be sure :)

yessir :D

synch
08-31-2005, 03:33 PM
:p

Gave Soldat a spin for the first time in years.

I still love it :D

TurdBerglar
08-31-2005, 05:14 PM
anybody up for some half-life 2 deathmatch?

beastieangel01
08-31-2005, 06:03 PM
if I had it :(

a friend is supposed to lend me half-life 2 tomorrow, yippie!

TurdBerglar
08-31-2005, 06:26 PM
i gotta work late tomarrow

TurdBerglar
08-31-2005, 06:40 PM
has anyone tried the fear demo?

it's kickass

tracky
08-31-2005, 06:43 PM
just get the demo of ut2004, last time i checked, which was a few months after the full game was released, there was still more people playing the demo online (n) which sucks cause i have the full version but not the demo, so I only played it for a few weeks and havn't been able to find a full server since. It's an alright game tho, bit of fun, they just made the demo too good or something.

Mr. Boomin'Granny
08-31-2005, 07:12 PM
so my PC has always been crap and I was unable to get PC games for myself. I always played on others computers.

So, right now, I have a chance to get Halo, CS, and UT 2004.

Should I do it? huh huh? should I? and would any of you buffoons play with me?
halo sucks. UT 2004 all the way.

I'll play against you n00b. :p

Rich Cheney
08-31-2005, 07:35 PM
UT2K4 =-Add me to your buddy list. I go by the name of kewlbag.

Come get some!

cubsfirstplace
08-31-2005, 08:25 PM
My parents still refer to any video game of any kind as Nintendo.

thats what my dad does.
my mom calls the controls sticks.

Tzar
09-01-2005, 05:35 AM
i need some good FPS games to whore this computer with!!
i dun wanna resort to CS but i will if i have to. :rolleyes:

half-life 2 might be the way to go??? worth downloading???

Rancid_Beasties
09-01-2005, 07:43 AM
Lets play some age of empires 2 guys!!!

Anyone?

C'mon you know you wanna!!

beastieangel01
09-01-2005, 09:36 AM
halo sucks. UT 2004 all the way.

I'll play against you n00b. :p

I play UT 2004 now while at school :D hehehe.

IT'S ON NOW!

TurdBerglar
09-01-2005, 09:57 AM
i need some good FPS games to whore this computer with!!
i dun wanna resort to CS but i will if i have to. :rolleyes:

half-life 2 might be the way to go??? worth downloading???

half life 2 uses steam. it almost impossible to pirate anything that uses steam

Bob
09-01-2005, 09:58 AM
half life 2 uses steam. it almost impossible to pirate anything that uses steam

yeah, it's not worth the headache, just buy it. and if you do manage to download it, don't try playing it online, because i think they ban your steam account from doing anything, even legitimate stuff, if they catch you.

TurdBerglar
09-01-2005, 09:59 AM
yeah they ban the fuck out of you

jabumbo
09-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Lets play some age of empires 2 guys!!!

Anyone?

C'mon you know you wanna!!

i used to play that, but i lost my disk and so i cant get it back on the computer

right now i have UT goty edition, medal of honor, starcraft:brood war, and dungeon siege that are good for online play.

now that i can htough, i am hoping to expand the collection and try out a few new games

synch
09-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Ooooh, starcraft/broodwar.

Go on then people!

Bob
09-01-2005, 10:16 AM
it's really amazing how popular starcraft still is, i can't believe how long it's lasted.

synch
09-01-2005, 10:21 AM
It's still the near perfect RTS.

I haven't been as obsessed with it as many others have but I still really enjoy playing it.

Oh I'm also willing to get a copy of C&C generals if we can get a network game going. I saw it for like six euro.

Did anyone check soldat? I still love that game...

Bob
09-01-2005, 10:27 AM
i don't know, i don't really like generals that much. something's screwy with the engine, it slows down my computer if there's too much going on at one time. same thing with that lotr game that uses the engine.

i tell you, for RTS games, dawn of war is the best one i've played in a good long while

Mr. Boomin'Granny
09-01-2005, 10:30 AM
the first star wars x-wing and tie-fighter games were awesome.

Echewta
09-01-2005, 10:52 AM
I lost a thumb from playing Wing Commander so much.

synch
09-01-2005, 11:59 AM
the first star wars x-wing and tie-fighter games were awesome.
Did you ever play xwing alliance?

Tzar
09-01-2005, 07:24 PM
yeah they ban the fuck out of you
alright. when i have the money - i'll buy it.

jabumbo
09-01-2005, 08:37 PM
i have actually heard serious rumours about a starcraft 2 being pushed. i saw some artist sketches for it a few months back

paul jones
09-01-2005, 08:38 PM
I want someone to make a ECHEWTA DOES EUROPE game (y)

Bob
09-01-2005, 08:57 PM
i have actually heard serious rumours about a starcraft 2 being pushed. i saw some artist sketches for it a few months back

yeah, blizzard was asking the fans for ideas for it, about a few months ago. i imagine they're going to take their sweet time with it though. i don't blame them, they basically have to improve upon perfection, they're going to need a lot of time.

if they could just release diablo 3 in the meantime though, that would be nice

jabumbo
09-01-2005, 08:59 PM
i still need to try out diablo 1...

i was dissapointed when i heard starcraft: ghost was console only

Bob
09-01-2005, 09:00 PM
i still need to try out diablo 1...

i was dissapointed when i heard starcraft: ghost was console only

oh yeah, i forgot about that game.

diablo 1 is hard to play after diablo 2. you can't run in the first one, and there's a lot of walking needs doing. diablo 2 is mostly a lot better, mostly. yeah, it's pretty much all pointing and clicking, but it's fun somehow.

Tzar
09-01-2005, 09:02 PM
diablo 1 scared the shit out of me...
i got killed by the Butcher and he goes "MMMMMM!! FRESH MEAT!!"

Bob
09-01-2005, 09:03 PM
diablo 1 scared the shit out of me...
i got killed by the Butcher and he goes "MMMMMM!! FRESH MEAT!!"

yeah, i basically stopped playing diablo 1 after that, it scared me too (though i was alot younger then). i tried to cheat my way through, but i couldn't figure out how to beat the game. i kept going down stairs until there weren't any more stairs to go down, and there wasn't anything down there.

Rancid_Beasties
09-01-2005, 10:43 PM
What about total anihilation??? Anybody?

synch
09-02-2005, 02:21 AM
I want someone to make a ECHEWTA DOES EUROPE game (y)
Games based on movies usually suck :(

beastieangel01
09-04-2005, 12:27 PM
p.s. I totally have Half-Life 2 now, CS, and Call of Duty. Someone play with meeeee! :D

synch
09-04-2005, 12:30 PM
I'd rather not install steam but I'm more than willing to install Call of Duty if we can get a game going. Who else owns the game?

How is half life 2 performance with your video card by the way?

paul jones
09-04-2005, 12:33 PM
I saw a Medievil game in a shop last week going cheap

like a sort of Age Of Empires hing/Sim City thing

but Medievil

I might get it

beastieangel01
09-04-2005, 12:33 PM
right now I am installing it on the bf's computer, so it should work. This computer is brand new. I am going to install it on my computer probably next week since I'll be out of town soon here anyhow.

Call of Duty I am installing next. Not sure who else has that though. I was thinking about getting MOH when a friend said "NO! Try COD first!" so he gave it to me to borrow. :)

boys_beastie
09-04-2005, 12:35 PM
i would if my delicious new pc was connected to the interrrrrrnet

synch
09-04-2005, 12:41 PM
right now I am installing it on the bf's computer, so it should work. This computer is brand new. I am going to install it on my computer probably next week since I'll be out of town soon here anyhow.

Call of Duty I am installing next. Not sure who else has that though. I was thinking about getting MOH when a friend said "NO! Try COD first!" so he gave it to me to borrow. :)
I used to play CoD online quite a bit. Never played MoH though...

The thing I loved about CoD is that you could walk around with two primary weapons. I'd get a long range and a short range weapon as soon as I could.

Ah man! Now I have to install it and finish the single player bits! :D

beastieangel01
09-04-2005, 01:11 PM
ixnay on the Half-Life 2 bit. Guess I have to buy my own copy to get a key in order to use it, since it won't allow me to with my friends copy since he already registered with it.

Working on installing CoD right now but the computer froze halfway in to it, so who knows. Bah.

synch
09-04-2005, 01:17 PM
If you log into steam with his account you won't even need the dvd to install it, you could install it from there :)

Does he trust/like you enough to give you his login/password? :D

Bob
09-04-2005, 02:41 PM

but Medievil

I might get it

stronghold 2? i havent played it but apparently you get to cart dung around

i only have a pirate copy of CoD, so no online for me. i have CS though, and warcraft 3

adam_f
09-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Medievil was a def game back in the day. Medievil II was weak though. Bummed out my then 14 year old self.

synch
09-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Wasn't bad but never got into it. Was highly acclaimed though.

beastieangel01
09-04-2005, 06:54 PM
If you log into steam with his account you won't even need the dvd to install it, you could install it from there :)

Does he trust/like you enough to give you his login/password? :D

I think he might. I will be asking him when I speak to him next.

I finally got CoD installed and am playing the single player right now. I am going to fiddle with the multiplayer tomorrow perhaps.

Rancid_Beasties
09-04-2005, 07:05 PM

but Medievil

I might get it
Man get age of empires 2!!!
Its medievil and shit, plus its awesome...and probably real cheap now.