PDA

View Full Version : My Space

Documad
08-31-2005, 11:58 PM
What's the point? Who makes money off it?

DandyFop
09-01-2005, 12:02 AM
I actually like it a lot. It's a fun way to keep up with people without having to read someone's stupid blogs or something. I've found a lot of old friends from high school on it.

As far as the money, i donno, I'm guessing the advertisers pay the dudes who made the sit.

Tzar
09-01-2005, 12:02 AM
i think it's only there to show other people how many friends you have.

DandyFop
09-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Haha some people do treat it like that and have like 3000 friends. It's so funny. but yeah, it's fun to post stupid comments on friend's pages and stuff and read about echewta's wet chocolate dreams.

minton
09-01-2005, 12:12 AM
I'm pretty sure they're making a loss at the moment. They're operating on supermarket margins...but I guess that'll change as time goes on.

The idea is anyway that they pull in advertising revenue - and now that News Corp owns it - they try and direct users to other News Corp sites and products like the Fox network and sell them services there.

DandyFop
09-01-2005, 12:13 AM
OMG IT'S MINTON!

icy manipulator
09-01-2005, 12:15 AM
tis good looking at ppl's photo collections (y)

Documad
09-01-2005, 12:19 AM
But do you actually talk to people on there, or is it just a way to advertise yourself so that you get emails and IMs and stuff? Do you still individually contact people?

I'm obviously not their target market, but I had a look because I was helping my friend find someone in there. It seems kind of sad to see people begging for people to be their friends. But I also saw a lot of creative clever stuff in setting up the pages.

Documad
09-01-2005, 12:21 AM
tis good looking at ppl's photo collections (y)
Why? Do you mean people you know? So it's just an easy way to share your photos of your recent trip with friends or something? Or are you cruising for hot chicks you don't know?

DandyFop
09-01-2005, 12:23 AM
I email people all the time on there. It's also an easy way to keep in touch with people that I can't call during the day since I don't have a cell phone, since they will check it a few times. Easier than keeping track of different emails.

Some people use it as advertisement, when I first joined ten billion people asked me to be their friends.

It all depends on how you want to use it.

It's also how my man and I kinda found each other. We already knew each other online, but when he saw how much we had in common and some of the stuff I had written, he got a crush on me hah.

cosmo105
09-01-2005, 12:26 AM
yes, you can individually contact people. a lot of it is posting comments on people's pages, which i suppose is what makes it a bit attention whorey...because it's always, hey, look at me, other people comment on me and think i'm great. but then again, it has the great aspect of catching up with old friends. i'm so glad i've been able to find some old pals on there.

people get pretty ridiculous about it and go into big dramatic spiels about how it's only for hookups and yadda yadda and then they go and get themselves deleted...that's just taking it wayyy too seriously. each person's profile is a little window into how they see themselves...and EVERYONE is on myspace. so you come into contact with people you don't normally associate with, and you clash with those people. it's not that Myspace is stupid; it's that people in general are, and it's just us being shocked at our own, idiotic, cheesy .gif and ab photo - filled reflection.

icy manipulator
09-01-2005, 12:29 AM
Why? Do you mean people you know? So it's just an easy way to share your photos of your recent trip with friends or something? Or are you cruising for hot chicks you don't know?
ppl i know, that i have on my msn list

Documad
09-01-2005, 12:31 AM
It puzzles me because I get lots of emails all day. I don't see how it's easier to check a website. I also don't get why people IM. I get instant emails on my blackberry from my friends. I wouldn't want to check in a bunch more places for messages.

I'm seriously trying to figure this out.

I get that if I was 21 and creative it would be fun to make my page.

I think Minton's right about the money angle. I also think they're going to get all you kids hooked and then change it.

DandyFop
09-01-2005, 12:33 AM
it's easier for me cause I don't use my email very much, and the ones I do have, I have different ones. Whatever, anyway, I like it, good to keep in contact with people and easy to post a bulletin and be like 'Hey lets go out this weekend everybody!"

cosmo105
09-01-2005, 12:34 AM
^also true.

email gets boring. i don't use it for communicating with people so much as official stuff like banking and school and all. myspace is just more fun.

DandyFop
09-01-2005, 12:35 AM
yeah and totally fun to write crush notes to people on when you don't have their real email :cool:

Documad
09-01-2005, 12:37 AM
a lot of it is posting comments on people's pages, which i suppose is what makes it a bit attention whorey...because it's always, hey, look at me, other people comment on me and think i'm great.
Well, I just looked around for a little while, but it seemed like all the comments were "thanks for adding me" or "hey, I haven't heard from you".

I had to join to search, so I joined as my elderly mom and she has one friend. :D

Oh, and are any of the musician ones I've read about posted by or for the real musician? That seems like a nice way to get information out if you have a small following.

DandyFop
09-01-2005, 12:44 AM
yeah a lot of musicians run their own ones on there.

Posts aren't all "thanks for adding me"

for example, I posted a girl next to a black penis in DDDs

Documad
09-01-2005, 12:49 AM
for example, I posted a girl next to a black penis in DDDs
Yes, but you're clearly more creative than the average my spacer. :)

DandyFop
09-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Here's mine if you want to be my friend, I like old ladies!

I never thought I'd actually post that on here.

edit: nm, I got myspace-raped and I'm not over it yet

Documad
09-01-2005, 01:06 AM
^^
You're very sweet. Maybe you would actually like my mother. Her page is coming along kind of slow. :)

Because you mentioned old friends, I looked up my high school. It's not listed (I was in the last graduating class). So I looked up the related high schools and I found some scary old people. :p

venusvenus123
09-01-2005, 02:48 AM
It puzzles me because I get lots of emails all day. I don't see how it's easier to check a website. I also don't get why people IM. I get instant emails on my blackberry from my friends. I wouldn't want to check in a bunch more places for messages.

I'm seriously trying to figure this out.

I get that if I was 21 and creative it would be fun to make my page.

I think Minton's right about the money angle. I also think they're going to get all you kids hooked and then change it.
people IM to have live conversations with each other.

and myspace is just a laugh and a way of keeping in touch with people or even meeting new people. i searched for a guy i haven't seen for a while and found out that he's living in sacramento at the moment. he's a photographer so hosts a load of his photos on there. it's good to keep in touch with him and keep up with what he's doing.

it is also a good way for bands to get themselves known. i have a couple on my list, and keep them there just so that people who may stumble across my page may check them out.

it's just about having fun and being creative. i like leaving people silly comments -- both those i know in the real world and just through here.

i imagine the revenue just comes from the banner advertising. someone must click those ads for slimming cream!

Gareth
09-01-2005, 02:57 AM
well...its not like everyone has a blackberry.

zorra_chiflada
09-01-2005, 03:05 AM
i hadn't heard of myspace until i came on here.
should i join?

Rancid_Beasties
09-01-2005, 03:11 AM
i hadn't heard of myspace until i came on here.
should i join?
I think I should join...a friend from uni got me to join friendster and it sucks hardcore. I dunno what the real benefit is other than another page I have to check.

ms.peachy
09-01-2005, 06:51 AM
LOL I've read about this myspace thingie in a few places now and it all just sounds way too exahusting for me. But then, I'm old. Like, why would I want anyone from high school or university to 'catch up' with me? I'm already in touch with anyone I care enough to be bothered about, and heaven knows I don't need 3000 'friends' wanting me to tell them how cool they are.

I can see how the social aspect of it might be appealing for people who are in their teens - twenties and are still forming their networks and all though.

Bitchamachacha
09-01-2005, 06:54 AM
I found two of my ex boyfriends on MYSpace. Crazy, eh?

And I like the silly notes, looking at people's photos, etc..etc. It's fun when I have time to log in.

HEIRESS
09-01-2005, 07:05 AM
myspace is for my fake internet life
Hi5 is for IRL purposes

oh wait I lie, I have like 3 people on myspace list that I hang out with in actuality so uhhhhh errrrrrr

enree erzweglle
09-01-2005, 07:14 AM
I'm selective about who I spent time with (online or in real life). I don't want to spend any time fending off houndy kinds of guys or people that I wouldn't want to be with in real life anyway, and I don't particularly like getting into arguments/debates (defending my stances) with people I don't know/don't care to know.

I've only followed a few links into myspace, but a lot of what I've seen appears to have been put there by people who are lonely, angry, want to brag, need a whole lot of attention & praise, or are looking to get laid. I'm sure there's stuff in there that's not like that at all, but I haven't seen it. Maybe myspace is this generation's equivalent to meeting people in bars, but I never cared for or did that either, so no wonder it (myspace) doesn't much appeal to me.

Documad
09-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Like, why would I want anyone from high school or university to 'catch up' with me? I'm already in touch with anyone I care enough to be bothered about . . . .
I have had people track me down a few times lately. It's easy to do because my mom has lived in the same place for 40 years.

One person was clearly 12 stepping and needed to cross me off the list.
A lot of the friends who got married and had kids right away split from me ages ago and now they want to hang out. Turns out I have much cooler friends now. :rolleyes:

The other thing that I don't get about myspace is that all your friends can see each other. I like to keep my circles separate. :)

enree erzweglle
09-01-2005, 08:22 AM
The other thing that I don't get about myspace is that all your friends can see each other. I like to keep my circles separate. :)
When I read that, I heard George Costanza say "World's Colliding!!" :D

(I feel the same way--no way would one of my groups of friends get along with particular other groups of friends. I tried and it was ugly.)

Documad
09-01-2005, 08:34 AM
When I read that, I heard George Costanza say "World's Colliding!!" :D

(I feel the same way--no way would one of my groups of friends get along with particular other groups of friends. I tried and it was ugly.)
Is that where that came from? I almost typed it. I have a friend who says it. Now I know she took it from Seinfeld. Figures. :p

My worlds collided a few times in the past couple of years and it's not a good thing. My friends tend to be smart and outspoke and I adore them but they don't blend.

The only one who's safe to mix in is my best friend because everyone knows that if they don't absolutely love her they can fuck off.

Echewta
09-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Its for hooking up with chicks. I don't see the difficulty in understanding this.

Documad
09-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Its for hooking up with chicks. I don't see the difficulty in understanding this.
well, that's an explanation I can understand. :)

jabumbo
09-01-2005, 09:56 AM
besides that, i think the site has no purpose

i signed up, but i only go there when my email directs me to go there

TAL
09-01-2005, 09:57 AM
I know THAT feeling.

DroppinScience
09-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Oh, Documad. Will your elderly mother PLEASE add me? ;)

http://www.myspace.com/brettlambert

Audielicious
09-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Tom, the mother fucker who created myspace is rich, just for creating a shitty website that "connects" you with your friends from high school.

But, maybe I'm bitter because earlier this summer someone by the name of Paul (Myspace Paul) called my house, deleted my music account, and accused me of starting a "filipino gang" on Myspace...then he asked if I was "on my medication". :confused:

DipDipDive
09-01-2005, 04:01 PM
I use it for big black cock purposes.

CrankItUp!
09-01-2005, 04:09 PM
I b alls bout dat biz mys own self ! (y)

Audielicious
09-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Good Answer! (y)

p.s. Myspace...I'm pretty sure, is based in Sacramento County. So, if you want to meet a "boyfriend" on Myspace.com...do a background check first. Most people in Sacramento County are convicted felons. Just sayin'. ;)

Audielicious
09-01-2005, 06:01 PM
I have had people track me down a few times lately. It's easy to do because my mom has lived in the same place for 40 years.

One person was clearly 12 stepping and needed to cross me off the list.
A lot of the friends who got married and had kids right away split from me ages ago and now they want to hang out. Turns out I have much cooler friends now. :rolleyes:

That's why you don't put down what city you're in, or what school you attended...I learned this from my brother's psychotic friend, who signed up for Myspace just to find me. He said, and I quote "Never disclose your information because there are weirdos all around and they will come find you".

This guy is facing a DUI charge and he needs to be medicated.

paul jones
09-01-2005, 06:26 PM

me too! (y)

CrankItUp!
09-01-2005, 06:29 PM
I'll knock a black cock fo' sum rock 2 baby ! (y)

Lemmy's Liver
09-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Cosmo has a Zoidberg avatar. nuff said?

Sarky Devotchka
09-01-2005, 06:52 PM
I use it when I need to get a babysitter for my grandson.