PDA

View Full Version : Buying things!

TonsOfFun
09-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Two thumbs up to internet (y) (y)

I love it. Cus I can be indoors, warm, watching tv and everything is available on the internet. Even clothes and loo paper.

Maybe I should give two thumbs up to the internet instead (y) (y)

enree erzweglle
09-01-2005, 07:22 AM
I don't buy stuff online if I can avoid it because of the usually inflated shipping/handling fees. Sometimes, I'll look to buy something and the s/h winds up being more than the item itself or I'll pay something like $8 for s/h and the postage on the item only winds up being $2-3. No way the handling costs could have been $5.

There are some things that I can only get online and I'll do it then. Books come to mind. I buy a lot of hard-to-find books through mailorder, private collectors, or through places like Powells Books. If I want to buy a new book online through Barnes and Noble, I'll just call my local one and ask them to special-order it. They usually get it a 1-3 days later and it's a 4-block walk to the B&N near me. I don't have to pay for anything other than the book itself. Easy.

TonsOfFun
09-01-2005, 07:27 AM
I like free postage sites and ebay.

I'm building a shop site for my business right now, how I so wish I could down on postage costs. I'm working on it anyway. What would be even better would be free postage. But yeah, unfortunatly P&P is just too expensive to cover yourself. I only have one set of items I can send free of charge. But then hopefully you can offer outlet stores don't and undercut the rest.

ms.peachy
09-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Since I started doing my grocery shopping online, the world has been a much more pleasant place. To think I never have to give up another Saturday afternoon to stand in some long queue behind some family with 400 kids and a cart full of chesy wotsits! Ah, freedom.

enree erzweglle
09-01-2005, 07:35 AM
I've never had a business on ebay or in general. When I've sold things on ebay, it was usually to just get rid of something and get it to someone who would want/appreciate it. (I wasn't looking to make a profit.) So, I made the shipping free and then I set a very low Buy It Now price (to basically cover s/h).

When I've won stuff, ebay has been one of the nastiest places for inflated s/h fees. I learned (the hard way) to not bid on anything that doesn't have a listed s/h fee. Because sometimes when an item sells for what the seller thinks is too low a price, they'll inflate the s/h. I do buy things from ebay occasionally--I'm just extra cautious about it.

Good luck with your site. I hope it all works out!