PDA

View Full Version : Linux vs Windows

TonsOfFun
09-03-2005, 02:44 PM
vote now!

Do you prefer super cool linux or evil Mirco$oft windows?

You decide!

ToucanSpam
09-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Both options are the same.

VOTE ECHEWTA!!!

enree erzweglle
09-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Linux, no doubt. I get tired of restarting my frozen PC.

Hiebz
09-03-2005, 02:52 PM
I prefer a dual boot, I use Suse Linux 9.3 prof. some of the time and WinXP most of the time. people I know who are into linux more don't think that is the best choice, but from what I read it is a matter of trying out the different flavors and seeing what you like. I tried the Fedora Core 3 and Suse. Suse is alright. I think I could switch to it permanantly if it had DVD support and my wife weren't so used to windows.

TonsOfFun
09-03-2005, 02:53 PM
the options are the same cus windows would crash before it got to the post

Then you'd have to re-install the drivers, reboot, reinstall, uninstall. Delete all drivers and reinstall again and then update before they can answer the poll. So I saved them the trouble

The Notorious LOL
09-03-2005, 03:02 PM
yeah fuck dealing with linux and going the extra mile to find software that works with it even if it is more stable.

it isnt worth the hassle.

ToucanSpam
09-03-2005, 03:04 PM
yeah fuck dealing with linux and going the extra mile to find software that works with it even if it is more stable.

it isnt worth the hassle.
exactly.

Windows is evil, but I'd rather have it fuck up 99 times a day than to have a stroke trying to find coordinating software.

TonsOfFun
09-03-2005, 03:05 PM
it is worth it.

Alright, some stuff won't work with linux but the more people that get away from that scum of the world Mircosoft the better and developers will make versions for both, then just linux and Mirco$oft will be no more and I will dance on their grave!

yup!

Hiebz
09-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Suse 9.3 - download the iso's and burn them to CD, although it is 5 CD's or 1 DVD if you have the luxury of a DVD burner (with dsl connections this is not so bad, really). I didn't need to install special drivers or anything, it already had that for all of my hardware (this is a custom machine in France too, not dell or Gateway). It is much simpler than it used to be with linux.

You might still have to know a little for Hard drive partitioning (unless you have an extra hard drive to hook up and give it a try - then it automatically does this for you). This would be the same case though if you were installing a fresh copy of windows, that you paid for or pirated;

if you have a free partition (don't even need an extra hard drive), give it a try, you might be surprised

- if you try to make the linux partitions by yourself, remember to make a partition double the size of your RAM (try 1024 MB if in doubt) create a /boot partition of 50-500 MB and a / partition with automatic sizing and you are set.

guerillaGardner
09-04-2005, 09:51 AM
In learning web design I chose PHP and MySQL over ASP and Access/SQL Server as much to make me Microsoft independent as for the fact that they are free and that I can use them on Mac OS X.

As for any technical preference I couldn't give a crap as long as it does what I want it to do without expecting me to be a programming genius.