PDA

View Full Version : I saw motherfucking Z-Trip.

ScarySquirrel
09-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Last night in Detroit. I bought my tickets last minute, earlier that day, actually... and made the trek across the state to chill at St. Andrew's Hall and watch some hardcore hip-hop go down.

It was seriously one of the coolest shows I've ever been to. The crowd was pretty small, but pretty live. There were b-boys doing their thing, lots of people just drinking and having a good time, Black Sheep were there, Z-Trip dropped some AWESOME tunes, Busdriver came out and did a song and a freestyle as did Whipper Whip. An insanely fun time.

Plus I got to talk to Z-Trip for a few short minutes after the show and he signed my record for me. Same deal with Whipper Whip. Both are insanely down to Earth and just seemed to be really happy that people enjoyed what they did that night. If you get a chance to see Z-Trip's show when it rolls through your state, then do it, sucker.

paul jones
09-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Last night in Detroit. I bought my tickets last minute, earlier that day, actually... and made the trek across the state to chill at St. Andrew's Hall and watch some hardcore hip-hop go down.

It was seriously one of the coolest shows I've ever been to. The crowd was pretty small, but pretty live. There were b-boys doing their thing, lots of people just drinking and having a good time, Black Sheep were there, Z-Trip dropped some AWESOME tunes, Busdriver came out and did a song and a freestyle as did Whipper Whip. An insanely fun time.

Plus I got to talk to Z-Trip for a few short minutes after the show and he signed my record for me. Same deal with Whipper Whip. Both are insanely down to Earth and just seemed to be really happy that people enjoyed what they did that night. If you get a chance to see Z-Trip's show when it rolls through your state, then do it, sucker.

I haven't heard of Z-trip but it sounded good Adam (y)

brooklyndust
09-04-2005, 02:37 PM
hey scarry, public enemy played in detroit last night at chene park, not the best area of town

Monsieur Decuts
09-04-2005, 02:50 PM
very impressed when i saw him during the Scratch tour.

He can hold it down for sure.

Pres Zount
09-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Z trip has left a big impression on you, yes?

The Notorious LOL
09-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Busdriver sucks

ScarySquirrel
09-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Busdriver sucks
Yeah, he's one of those cats who's all intellectual hip-hop, or something. Not really my flavor, but you do what you gotta do.

Laver1969
09-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Z-Trip is on the Scratch DVD with MMM. I was very impressed with him.

Audielicious
09-05-2005, 12:09 AM

(y) (y)

Eric bought the latest Z-Trip CD last time I was out there in Colorado (which was in April). Black Sheep?!!?!! HOLY MOTHER FUCK...bring me back to 6th grade, man. That's awesome. I'm glad you had a fun night.

Now I really, REALLY want to move back to Michigan.

Dr Deaf
09-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Black Sheep were there...

beth and i are going on september 15th. did they play all the classic old school stuff? it's funny how they just appeared after such a lengthy hiatus.

my friends went to st andrew's hall for III, they said the accoustics were awesome.

Audielicious
09-05-2005, 10:29 AM
beth and i are going on september 15th.
Have fun, you two! :)

ScarySquirrel
09-05-2005, 10:33 AM
beth and i are going on september 15th. did they play all the classic old school stuff? it's funny how they just appeared after such a lengthy hiatus.

my friends went to st andrew's hall for III, they said the accoustics were awesome.
Yeah, they did some old school stuff and they did some stuff from their new upcoming album called 8WM.

St. Andrew's is surprising really good on acoustics. I've never been to a concert there and not had a good time, I love that place, dude.

You guys should have an awesome time though. Plus the dude that opens up for him, Goldenchyld, is from the message boards as well... he's really good too. A very solid show. Let me know what y'all think about it.

Dr Deaf
09-05-2005, 10:42 AM
wilco ss. (y)

Qdrop
09-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Luckyyyyyyyyyyyyy....

Dr Deaf
09-16-2005, 12:44 PM
A very solid show. Let me know what y'all think about it.

we got to HBO sort of late. black sheep were already on and rocking the poorly attended venue. i was really surprised at the poor turnout esp. since it was industry appreciation night. (free) i tried to claim i was in the industry since the opportunity presented itself, but it didn't work out. 2 tix at the door $45.

the poor turnout didn't phase black sheep at all. i imagined they would have sounded exactly like they do know, back in the day. the played a lot of classics and closed with "the choice is yours". the new stuff sounded tight too. dres dropped some freestyle while mr long beat boxed. def. a fun set.
i have a hard time with crowd participation. i don't wanna wave my hands from side to side etc. i paid to be here, i wanna chill out and bob my head. they got the crowd going pretty good. later i bought dres a beer and thanked him for the show.

we totally missed goldenchylds solo performance, but got a treat of his skills during ztrip's set. i was really impressed with the z trip set. for a dj he sure can emcee. i hadn't been to a dj show that memorable since dj shadow in 2001. i really like the whole DVD scratching thing going on. that drumming segment was awesome. clips from kung fu flicks and anywhere else make for a pleasant presentation. a small group of 'breakers' gathered near the front of the stage. def. good times.

did he do that playstation plug (pacman) bit with a volunteer from the crowd?

def. good times.

Dr Deaf
09-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Thu-Sep-29 Las Vegas, NV HOB / psyz and alruggs
Fri-Sep-30 San Diego, CA HOB / crystal
Sat-Oct-01 San Francisco, CA Mezzanine / marsdaddy (hey how soon until mookie is able to go to shows?)

you won't be disappointed. tix in advance are like $17, def. worth it.

King PSYZ
09-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Alruggs will be out of town, I don't know anyone to go with and it's kinda far away to bike...

marsdaddy
09-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Sat-Oct-01 San Francisco, CA Mezzanine / marsdaddy (hey how soon until mookie is able to go to shows?)

you won't be disappointed. tix in advance are like $17, def. worth it.Thanks for thinking of me. :)

I might just get a babysitter for the night. Tix - $34, babysitter - $50, night at the club bumping old school hip hop - sleep, alcohol, and ringing in ear hangover.

Z-Trip is awesome on the Scratch DVD, plus he has a DVD out where he shows you how to cut and scratch.